“OUTSTANDING!”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I cant say enough about this resort! Our experience was AMAZING from when we got there to when we left! Everyone was so attentive and kind. The staff really does do there best to make your experience wonderful!

Our room was 3x better then what the pictures showed. Aside from that the pictures online do not lie! what you see on the pictures is what you will be arriving to!

The food was awesome although they can use a wider selection of Mexican food. The menus changed everyday so that was great. If you get a chance you have to make a reservation at their Italian restaurant!!!

It was super clean, its a great location, and has a little bit of everything for everyone to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort from April 24 to May 2. We did the all-inclusive and it was a great vacation, so yes, believe the hype of other reviewers who have had a wonderful experience.

Let's start with what this resort is not: it is not huge, you do not have to go on a hike to get to breakfast, and you do not have a buffet.

Now let me tell you the selling points:

1) Non smoking: it's pretty much a non-smoking hotel. There are 2 smoking areas well-located to blow the smoke away. But we very seldom saw people smoking. So that was great for us. If you are a smoker you may not love this place.

2) Breathtaking view: every single room (regular room, one bedroom suite or two bedroom suite) has an ocean view and a balcony. This was very important to us. We've stayed at huge resorts that have numerous buildings and only the super luxury suites are facing the ocean, so unless you belong to the 1%, you end up with a garden view or mountain view or a view of something other than the ocean. To us (and we realize not everyone thinks the same way), if you're going to go to a resort on the beach, not having an ocean view is pointless. If that's the case you're better off staying in a hotel a couple of blocks from the beach, it will be cheaper and you won't hate the folks in the luxury suites that are facing the ocean.

3) Never crowded: there are only 100 rooms in this hotel. That's it, so service really is quite personalized. Doesn't that sound like heaven to you?

4) Pools: there's an adults-only pool, and there's the other larger (infinity-type) pool where kids of all ages are welcome. The adult pool has beds. Yep. Beds. You can take really comfy naps, just remember the sunblock. There are also three hot tubs, we never used them, but we saw people in them and they looked happy and relaxed.

5) The food: it’s excellent (you must try the blue burger) no buffet, so if you do the all-inclusive package, you’ll be ordering from the regular menu. We met the chef, Manuel, who is talented, meticulous and extremely kind.

7) The drinks: if your experiences with all-inclusives have sucked because the drinks are lousy, that won't happen here. Sure, their mixed cocktails are probably made with domestic spirits and some people don't care one way or another, but if you specify that you want Tanqueray in your gin sonic (more on that later), or JW Black Label in your scotch and soda, or Bacardi Añejo in your rum and coke and piña coladas, or Sauza Hornitos in your margaritas, you will get exactly that. About the gin sonics, no, that was not a typo. Turns out I like my gin tonics with half tonic and half club soda, and I always have to order it like that everywhere. The first time I ordered one here by the pool, Jorge (the amazing waiter) said, "oh, you want a gin sonic!" I couldn't believe they have a name for my drink here. That was awesome.

6) The people: everybody works hard here. We enjoyed all the waiters, but Jorge and Beatriz, who make the rounds at the pools were superb. We also met the manager, Javier Vergara and his lovely family. Javier went out of his way to make our stay truly special, which he does with all his guests: anything and everything in his power to make sure your stay becomes a cherished memory. In a conversation with him about how hard everyone works there, he said something along the lines of "yes, they work hard, but that's because they work with the heart" I think he's right. Everybody working there looked happy.

So, yes, we highly recommend this hotel. Book it now.

And what about the time-share presentation, you ask? – Well, here’s the thing, we don’t like them (who does?) and we usually avoid them like the plague. The saleswoman was persistent. We told her no in every single language we could think of and repeatedly. She insisted. We explained we travel a lot and have been to some presentations and never buy anything. She insisted. We explained that the perks were not really a priority for us. She insisted and as an example offered that if we went on the 90-minute presentation we could go to the Rhythms of the Night Show for way cheap. We wanted to do the Rhythms of the Night anyway, so I listened to her offer. Instead of paying the full price of $280/per couple, we’d get a huge discount and only pay $101/per couple. WHAT? Yes, that sounded like a pretty good deal. Still, though, I don’t like to give anybody the wrong idea, so I said that if we went to the presentation they would be losing money with us. She said it didn’t matter. I repeated that we were absolutely certain we would not buy anything and that they would be giving us the discount for the show knowing FULL WELL that it would be a loss for them. She said that didn’t matter. Ok, so we agreed to go. We were at the lobby the next day at 8:30 sharp just as they told us. As far as I was concerned, the 90 minutes started running at exactly 8:30. They came to get us at about 8:40 (so, again, as far as I was concerned, that only gave them 80 minutes to get through whatever their presentation was), we walked to the neighboring property, an older hotel, and went into a foul-smelling building (no, really, think humid and stale), got into an elevator that made so much noise it sounded like it would break at any moment. Were greeted by a nice lady who gave us a couple of questionnaires (names, places of residence, frequency of travel, and have we ever been to a time-share presentation before?). Then we went into a room where a nice young man, who had been given our questionnaires, began asking basically the same questions. Now, how is that necessary when he had them in his hands? Every question he asked I pointed to the paper and said we’d be wasting less time if he just looked at the sheets he was holding. We then had breakfast. That hotel (not ours, but the neighboring one, which is one of the company’s properties) has buffet-style food. Nothing to write home about. After breakfast he led us back to our hotel and showed us a suite and then we walked back to the nasty building in the other hotel (if this is confusing to you, then I’m writing this well because it was confusing), by now I look at my watch and inform the young man that he has 20 minutes for the “presentation,” which so far has not taken place. We sit at a table and an older man joins us and asks if we have any questions. Um, no, we sure didn’t. I told him we were just waiting for the presentation, and reminded him they now only had about 15 minutes left. He frowned and said it could take a bit longer and I said, “no, we were told 90 minutes, so we’re walking out of here in fifteen.” He asked why were there and we explained that it was because his salesperson had insisted for a long time and had offered a pretty good discount for the show we wanted to attend. I VERY CLEARLY informed him that I had TWICE told the salesperson that they would be losing money with us because we were 100 percent certain we were not going to buy whatever they were trying to sell us. He then got very upset and asked us to leave and told us to never go to another presentation of this nature. Well, we wouldn’t have gone to this one if the saleswoman had not agreed to give us money for nothing after we repeatedly said no. That was the only bump the entire week we were there. The Rhythms of the Night show was great, BTW.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so you really can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LiliaPNieto
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend abd I had the most enjoyable stay during out 7 days weeklong vacation at the Sunset Plaza. This is the first time I was here while it is my bf's 2nd time in PV and he stayed at a diff much bigger resort previously in Nuevo. Needless to say, he was very impressed with the overall service and so was I! The fact that this is a smaller hotel and quieter makes it even more perfect for us to enjoy our vacation relaxingly throughout. All the staffs at the hotel including all working at the restaurant and bar are extremely friendly and helpful and we have absolutely no complain. We lazed around by the main pool most days when we didnt go for excursions. I booked through online for Vallarta Adventures cos they offered the 2 for price of 3 although the hotel does offer for direct bookings with VA as well. We booked another ATV tour with the hotel's travel agent (there is a travel agent office at the corner of the lobby which makes it so convenient) and had fab times. We did go down to the beach a couple times too just to dip into the water a lil bit and we went on jetski offered by the vendor on the beach. There were quite many vendors on the beach selling stuff too but once you said no they will not bug you further which is what i liked about. Food was goood as were said in most reviews you read here. The only little dissapointment was we were expecting more during the bbq night and it was a lil hit and missed there. But overall we enjoyed the sunset dinner very much still and although we didnt made any reservation since we arrived on that day itself on Saturday and only decided to stay in for dinner by 630pm, we were glad that we were not turned away and got a nice spot right in front of the ocean view. Rooms are all facing the ocean. We got just the deluxe room which is enough for both of us although Pablo our buttler did bring us up to see the suites which is very nice and big with a jacuzzi, a kitchen and living room with the bedroom separate and the balcony twice the size longer than the deluxe with two lounge chairs and it was offered to us for an upgrade by topping another $50 per night but we decided maybe we will go for it the next time ;).
Will surely be back again to stay here!! Love this place soo much.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Hotel experience was wonderful. Very friendly staff. Kids center a BIG bonus. Close to downtown. Food was good and menu changed unlike other all inclusive resorts where you are served the same food everyday!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Excellent experience with an exceptional staff. The location was excellent;
not too far from downtown. The staff was knowledgeable about restaurants in the area, and suggestions for places we should go when we asked for referrals. I hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen D
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is the nicest place i've ever stayed at. The location is great. Easy to catch a cab to the downtown area area. Our room/suite on the 14th floor was AMAZING. The food was really good. I was a little nervous about them not having a buffet, but the extra wait for the food is WORTH it. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We hung out at the adult pool which was really relaxing. Beach chairs were always available. We event got on of the "beds" by the pool two days. When i return to PV for another vacation (which I will cause it was amazing) I would want to stay at the Sunset Plaza again. I could go on and on about this place, i just hope that their prices don't change too much one everyone decides to stay here :)

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the suites, they are so nice and so large!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our first of hopefully many more visits to Sunset Plaza...It's difficult for me to express how wonderful our stay was!! I'll start with the food....The food was fantastic - expertly prepared, perfectly presented; the portions were just right, with high quality ingredients, and I can't even describe the sauces - excellente'!! We enjoyed gourmet meals no matter where we ate - Luciano's, Mirador, even being served poolside!! The alcohol served was premium spirits - something I truly appreciated and had not seen at previous all-inclusives I've visited.
We had reserved an ocean front suite, and I was completely blown away by the view, the appointments, the decor....It was romantic, large, and accommodating - there was a kitchenette complete with stovetop, microwave, coffee maker, frig, and all the accessories needed to prepare meals for a family - if that was your intention. We selected the all inclusive option, and only used the coffee maker & frig, but this would be a nice option for families not selecting the all inclusive plan. The butler had me select fragrances for the rooms & linens....such a lovely and appreciated touch - I have never experienced that in any other hotels.
The resort was spotlessly clean, beautifully landscaped, and extremely secure! I was completely comfortable the entire time, and really fell in love with the relaxation beds in the adult only pool area. There were many families with small children, but I never felt intruded upon, and actually enjoyed watching them play.
But I think the most impressive aspect of the resort was the wonderful, engaging staff - I want to name the ones we interacted with - BUT I do have to say that I didn't meet anyone there without a smile, an "Hola - Buenas Dios!!" EVERYONE made it their business to ensure my husband and I had a memorable stay. Our favorite restaurant and bar staff were Saul, Raul, Diego, Mariano, Rafael, Daniel, Beatrice - with the beautiful eyes, Sharon, Lizette, Martin, Jorge - I think I could go on and on - these wonderful people made us part of the familia!! We practiced our Spanish, and everyone patiently corrected us, and inquired on our progress - we laughed, joked, and even shared stories about our families. BTW - if you accidentally call Beatrice Betty - she will correct you with a lovely dimpled smile!!
Thank you so much for such a wonderful, perfectly romantic stay....from your friends from Kansas, Mary & Dan in Room number nueve diez!!

Room Tip: It would be difficult to pick a bad room....every one has an ocean view!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple