“Fun & Relaxing Bachelorette Weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Texas
“Fun & Relaxing Bachelorette Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The resort was nice and clean. Our room had a great view of the beach. Most of the staff were very friendly, however, the bartenders were not. We didn't use the swim up bar or bartenders for most of our trip since there were so many kids in that pool. The bartenders were slow and unfriendly anyway. I found it odd that the swim up bar was in the family pool and not in the adults only pool. Tamarindo Daiquiris was our go to drink that weekend. So good.

Although they only had 2 restaurants and 1 cafe, their menus changed daily so it wasn't repetitive, and we didn't get sick of it. They also offered the main restaurant menu & bar food menu at the adults only pool. We made reservations and ate at the Italian restaurant for dinner twice. Their bolognese was delicious!!

2 of the girls got massages and said it was probably one of the best massages they ever got.

It was a fun and relaxing weekend. Just what I needed. Don't forget to apply (and reapply) sunblock!!! The Mexican sun is no joke! I rarely burn, and I left PV 4 shades darker and burnt.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank britnhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This resort delivers on all the promises of great views from your room, be aware unfortunately not all the staff live up to the five star rating for service of this hotel, while the food is presented beautifully on the plate it does not always translate in preparation and taste.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Orriette M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

It was the honeymoon of my dreams ..... the entire staff at Sunset Plaza were amazing!!!! From the moment we checked in till we checked out we were treated like royalty!!! Ivan our butler was so awesome and made our stay very romantic! He helped my hubby create a special dinner in the cabana and a special night in!! If your on your honeymoon for sure take a copy of your marriage license to get the added perks!! At the resort...try a Coco Loco drink (soooo amazing) and get a flaming coffee at the Italian Restaurant! We paid extra but the massage in the cabanas was AMAZING .... I'd for sure pay for the quality of the work they did!!!!!! We will for sure be back to Sunset Plaza .... It's a smaller (little over 100 rooms) perfectly upgraded top quality resort!!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank JShreffler
Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We had an excellent time. The rooms are incredible. Staff was very attentive, facilities and food were great. Some confusion about the package that we had, but very minor. Spa was great too. Easy walk to shopping, buses, cabs, and of course the beach. we wanted to leave the window open to hear the waves all night, but outside music played until 1am so we opted not to do that.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Lars A
Renton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Love this place, we will definitely go back. The staff is amazing. We rented the deluxe suite which worked out great for our family of four adults. The view from our 14th floor suite was simply breathtaking. Be sure to dine at Blakes Sports Bar and Grill, about 1 block south of Sunset Beach Plaza Resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank John B
Mo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hotel is very nice. Food is good...atmosphere GREAT! Hotel staff were very polite and attentive to guest needs. The pools and jacuzzi tubs felt wonderful. The DRINkS at the bars were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am going to be as objective as possible as Sunset has some great staff and they deserve better than a horrible review. I had a great time with my family a total of 11 of us (6 adults 5 children ages 1 to 12) there were definitely highs and some definite lows. I'll speak about the resort, the staff, and the guided tours. My overall experience was ok but I would never stay at this resort again. The resort has been reviewed so many times and has very few bad reviews. It seems to me that some guests may be treated much better then others, because our stay was far from excellent.

The Resort
1. Rooms are clean and still new looking. everything is up to date. Hotel toiletries are usually nothing to talk about but i must say they were quite nice.

2. The grounds are well kept, all the pools are clean and nice to look at from your balcony. The hotel does not include any pool activities, it would be nice if they had some resident beach balls and flotation devices. We happened to bring our own as well as other hotel guests, we kind of just shared with a silent understanding.

3. The food is hit and miss. The menu changes daily some items stay some items are only available on some days I couldn't figure out what was served when no one else seemed to know either. So be warned if someone gets something you like just know its probably not going to show up again for a couple days. Portions for breakfast are great... dinner is TINY. there is no buffet so be sure to fill up before retiring to your room unless you don't mind the 10% service fee when doing all inclusive dining. There is better food and cheaper food outside of the resort.
The reservation only restaurant has much better service than the main restaurant. Its hard to keep to a schedule on vacation but if you dare to stay at Sunset stick to the reservation only restaurant for dinner when ever possible.

4. There are activities but they are NOT announced, We ran into a couple of great demonstrations, margarita making was great. There was a paella demonstration as well but the paella was lacking in flavor. There is kayaking and non-motorized sports... be sure to ask about it. It would be helpful if they used their dedicated tv channel to announce the days activities.

5. The beach is disappointing. It is my least favorite place at the resort. the sand is coarse and rocky. I have stayed in Nuevo varallata at paradise village the beaches are much better. The beach is also very small and usually has more vendors than hotel guests.If you stay here just avoid the beach take a day trip is you want beautiful beach and quiet relaxing without being hounded to buy bracelets.

6. Everything shuts down at about 11 pm. you cannot swim when ever you like nor can you take a dip in the hot tubs. If i'm on vacation i want to swim when i want. Sunset does not permit this they will surely send someone to kick you out. There is no night life here its great for families because the babies go to bed anyway. you can borrow movies no charge from the front desk and the selection is up to date. They should consider keeping the adult pool open and putting a bar in that area as its away from the hotel and will accommodate people who want to swim late.

7. Kids club is very nice, the kids enjoyed the activities and spent a good part of the day doing arts and crafts, movies, video games etc. i would not trust the staff with a child under 3 as they don't really want to WATCH the children they just want to look up occasionally and see that they are still within the kids club boundaries. My 2 year old is a runner no chance they wouldn't lose track of him.

Staff
Some members of the sunset staff are WONDERFUL others are the complete opposite just DREADFUL!

1.Martin our waiter was always polite and payed attention to our orders and held conversation

2. Jorge was my FAVORITE. some members will completely ignore your existence if you aren't tipping as you go. I have stayed in a lot of all inclusive resorts and they prefer you do not tip so you can enjoy your stay hence "ALL INCLUSIVE". Jorge tends to everyone tipping as you go or not (we tip at the end) he never got an order wrong and even got food out faster than other people who ordered before us from other waiters. After a day i just looked for him.

3. Roberto was our butler and he was as helpful and kind as he could be, He explained everything and was very sympathetic when my cell phone went missing.

4. Regulio was the other butler and he was just as kind and helpful with the phone situation.

5. Avoid Rafael at the pool bar, unless you are tipping per drink other wise he will act like he doesn't see you until he gets ready. We timed it.... took 16 min to be acknowledged and he knew what our order was.

6. Javier (supervisor?? the worst i have ever seen)... UGHHHH, I am ABSOLUTELY positive I did not lose my cell phone. It did not leave the hotel room the morning it went missing. I didn't have enough battery life to take pictures so I left it on the charger. after breakfast and a quick dip in the pool we came back to a clean room and a charger still plugged into the wall! my galxay s5 just walked away. I reported the issue immediately. Javier was a complete Jerk, unapologetic and basically blamed me for not locking my cell in the safe and went so far to say that they dont have a need for a S5 so no one would take it. seriously? that's not 5 star service I have traveled the world and never been so insulted. He needs to GO! We came across another hotel guest complaining jewelry was missing from his room as well. Sunset has a theft problem. I filed a police report the next day after giving the hotel an opportunity to either find the phone or offer some type of apology or promotional gift (i would have taken flowers anything to be honest just a kind gesture would have made the difference) neither happened. I mean Starbucks treat their customers better when they mess up a drink, Javier was not helpful and I quite dislike him. If your having trouble he is not the guy to fix jack or even apologize for your frustration. I refused to let the phone being stolen ruin my vacation so lets move on.

7. Omar another person who should leave Sunset. We are a party of 11 the hotel was always aware of this. We asked for our seating arrangements in advance for dinner each night... our first night we had to argue with Omar to put THREE tables together. He wanted to sit us separately in two different groups using 5 tables total. His excuse was we would take up too much space and it will be too crowded... again SERIOUSLY??? He finally put the three tables together after thinking about it, the restaurant was half empty the entire time we were there... the next day we had a pretty white table specially set for us, Omar did not address us and Martin took care of us for the duration of the trip. Oddly enough another large party arrived the next day and they had no issues.

Day trips
We did two day trips the city tour (all 11 of us) and the Las Caletas day trip (9 of us, 4 adults 5 kids)

1, City tour
We got the city tour as a promotion through orbitz.com at no extra charge. (it is not worth paying for!) Fair warning make sure you bring cold water for the walking part of the tour... in fact I found it almost pointless as the stops we made where a waste accept for the Church. It is way too hot everyone on the tour just wanted to get it over with there were 33 people in total miserable in the heat with no refreshments. that part of the tour needs revamping for sure. the other stops were just uninteresting a gift shop a statue of person no one knows bathroom break then the church. If i knew better i would have skipped it all saw the church on my own time and went straight to the tequila factory. The tequila tasting was fun and the lunch was GREAT! their service and staff were so pleasant and helpful. I say do away with the tour guide and take a ride up there on your own. Lunch is not included fyi.

Las Caletas
this is a trip worth every minute! the boat staff was great very entertaining going and coming back. they put on little shows and make sure to engage EVERYONE at one point or another. the kids loved their zip line adventure with donkey rides, the lunch was to die for, there was something for everyone we were really pleased with the level of attentiveness from the staff. if you stay at sunset be sure to take their promotional tour to get this trip at a discount no later than the day before you want to go on your trip and before 1 PM.

This hotel is just average. If you want a 5 star experience go to Paradise Village... when i visit Puerto Vallarta again that is where I will be staying. I should have stuck to what I knew.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean only one bedrooms and larger have tubs