“Good Food, Nice setting” 4 of 5 bubbles

cafe bolero
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: esther"cafebolero.com.mex
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good Food, Nice setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Our friends found this restaurant Cafe Bolero by the river on isla Rio Cuale near the cultural center. We checked out the menu. Prices were reasonable. Although there was only one table occupied by a group, we decided to try the place. To our surprise, the food was good. The sizzling shrimp (lots of it) fajita was delicious. The pasta with pesto and again with lots of shrimp was good, better than the other places we have been to. We ate there a few times during this trip. We will be back next February!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Winnipeg, Canada
“ALWAYS Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

We seem to go to the Bolero at least once every week we are in PV. We take friends and family who come down. It is our " go to" spot! That is ten times in the past three years!
Yes it always seems or is empty? But we love it! Went again on Valentines's Day, just my wife and I, and had the special. Asparagus soup was amazing (lots) the chicken breast was well done with mozerrella, spinach and bacon.
Omar and his staff are super friendly and where can you sit in the middle of a major city and feel like you are in a forest. By a creek an even had a possum drinking below us.
I just hope more of you readers go and find it, because if we don't support it ........
Two full dinners, two drinks each and two coffees total with tip $60!
The walk up from the Maleacon is about 3 blocks but go via the island and see all the vendors and artists. There are swinging bridges from the side streets as well. Even more entertainment! Remember they ONLY take CASH!

1 Thank Winnerpegescapee
Port Alberni, Canada
“My favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant 4 years ago, and have made it a priority to go back at least two times on our yearly vacation to PV. I am quite surprised at the review before this one as I have eaten here a number of times and have had superb service and received our food in a timely fashion every time(it's not fast food). It is a very serene setting, overlooking the river. The service has always been exceptional, and the food is delicious. The best Tortilla Soup ever!!! I highly recommend that you experience this gem of a restaurant! Looking forward to going there in a few weeks!

• Visited March 2012
Peace River, Canada
“Our Favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I wondered how we missed this place on the Trip Advisor ratings before we left. Now I see why (I only look at the first few) and I can't believe it. This place is fabulous! It's just a gorgeous walk up the Rio Cuale island to get there, through what I saw as the nicest part of Puerto Vallarta. My daughter and I were out for a stroll and wanted a quiet place to sit and have something cold and refreshing to drink so we wandered in. When I saw the sort of place it was I was a bit afraid to say that we just wanted a drink. We were welcomed so warmly I was immediately put at ease and it was so relaxing just sitting there in the breeze, with the birds playing in the water next to us and the charming scene of the local kids playing in the playground across the river...we ended up staying much longer than intended. In fact, I'd needed to run to the store so asked our waiter if there was a store nearby that I could run to. Even better than kindly offering directions, he had a young fellow run to the store for me (yes, I gave an appropriate tip).

Right, the food. As you can guess, we made a point of returning for dinner. It was fabulous! I had shrimp done three ways and it was a very generous serving of the best shrimp I had in PVR. My daughter was just as impressed with her meal of pasta. The service was quite simply the best service I experienced in PVR as well, not at all contrived and yet warm and welcoming. I just have nothing bad to say about the place...and I do try to be objective and report the shortcomings as well as what a place does well.

We liked this place so well we spent a few afternoons sitting, having drinks and playing cards in their cool palapa with that wonderful waiter taking such good care of us. We always left happy and feeling very pampered.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Blast70
Deerfield, Illinois
“very disappointing restaurant and horrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had made a reservation for dinner, . When we arrived the restaurant was empty, That should have been our first clue. After ordering we waited and waited,it took 2 hrs to get our food. We questioned a couple of times why it was taking so long. and the waiter said"everything is made fresh" well we hoped it would be. They didn't apologize, the server could have brought us bread and butter, but nothing. We definitely will not be going back to bolero,. We live in puerto vallarta and like to see restaurants do well, but I certainly will not be recommending this one to friends.

• Visited March 2012