“A gift for the soul”
Review of Xinalani Retreat

and 1 more site!
Xinalani Retreat
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Xinalani is a gift for the soul. I booked a yoga retreat with a group that was scheduled. I did not know them or the teacher, but I sure lucked out! There were a number of couples in our group, but I came with a friend. The group becomes your family for the week, but there is plenty of time and space to be on your own. We did the Journey to Yelapa tour with Isaias (?sp), though snorkeling was cut as the waters were too murky.They do have snorkel gear on site you can use on the local beach but there was nothing to be seen. Carolina accommodated us right from the beginning by scheduling a pick up from Los Muertos since we were coming to PV a day earlier. Boca de Tomatlan is another option for pick up if you will be in town early. Otherwise, the panga (boat) leaves from the marina. The rooms are scattered along the mountainside and yes, there are lots of stairs. Xinalani is for the able-bodied. If you have mobility issues, this is not for you. The stairs to the Meditation Cabin, Jungle Studio and Greenhouse studios are easy to navigate and not steep. There is a bit of lighting along the paths but do bring a flashlight. We had a beautiful eco-chic suite which was divine. But, as has been said, the ocean and jungle noises are loud! Bring earplugs. On some nights the ocean sounded like an amusement park! It's all part of the charm but don't be fooled into thinking you will be hearing a soft lull of the ocean lapping onto the shore all night. The rooms have very low LED lighting so bring a light if you want to read or journal at night. There are interesting birds and local wildlife to be seen. The piece de resistance is Mario's menu. Divine. 5***** Every meal presented with health and beauty - works of art. And so tasty! Mario offers cooking classes too, and happily shares his secret recipes. We never had a chance to even get hungry before another meal was offered. The homemade amaranth granola is SO good! We had first breakfast around 6am before meditation (fruit, yogurt, granola) followed by second breakfast of eggs, etc. after 10am. Every meal has a special juice offered with interesting combinations: cucumber, passionfruit, ginger, etc. The staff will cater to vegan and other dietary concerns. The final evening dinner was prepared on the beach terrace. The beach itself is lovely, though more for surfing than swimming. I did swim, almost every day, but the current can be challenging getting in an out. There is no pool. The lounge also had some entertainment, infrequently - a man singing traditional songs with guitar, and a night of salsa dancing! I can't wait to return to Xinalani.

Room Tip: If wifi is important, stay in the eco suites closer to the dining room. You can also get wifi in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank island_m0m
Xinalani_Retreat, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Xinalani Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear island_m0m,
It's truly gratifying to know you experience our yoga retreat at so many levels. We would like to thank you of your honest review and for sharing all those tips with our future visitors. We are sure everyone will find them very helpful! :) We can't wait to welcome you again to this little piece of paradise! And we will make sure to pass along your comments to all our staff, specially to our chef Mario and to Carolina. They will all be happy to know you had a great time with us! So glad you enjoyed the salsa dancing class at our lounge bar deck! But sad you were not able to do some snorkeling, some times the ocean won't really cooperate, but hopefully next time you're with us you'll get to see some of the beautiful marine life we have around. Also we are sorry to know the ocean was having a party on its own during night, but we will make sure to add earplugs to our little boutique at our lobby, just in case someone else might need them. Please try to stay in touch with us through our social media channels to stay up-to-date with for news, photos and some recipes! Namaste

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stay at Xinalani was spectacular. I really have to give many thanks to surfing instructor/hiking guide Pedro. His English is perfect and his surfing instruction was absolutely great. When learning surfing or going on a hiking excursion at Xinalani, ask for Pedro!

• Stayed: December 2013
Xinalani_Retreat, Public Relations Manager at Xinalani Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear hikinsk8ter,
Glad you got to experience surfing and hiking! We will definitely tell Pedro you say hi! He will be happy to hear your shared such kind compliments about him. Nature is a very important part of Xinalani Retreat, so we thank you for trying new adventures with us! NIce to know your stay was so good and we hope to see you again to keep surfing Quimixto's waves! Feel free to follow us on social media to stay connected for fun news and photos. 'Till next time!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Just returned from a week-long yoga retreat in Xinalani.
The good : Adriana - the house yoga instructor , she is a 5 star exceptional angelic lovely soul, besides being an excellent yoga instructor...memorizes everyone's names (don't know how she does it with guests coming and going).
The food - delicious, healthy, catering to all special dietary requests - 3 full meals daily and nuts, dried fruits, teas, and coffee available all day. the team lead by Arturo went out of their way to make a special new years eve and last day extravaganza (last meal seaside and so lovely!)
Facility - very picturesque, lodging, yoga practice areas, dining hall, all facing sea, lovely jungle setting.
Sweat lodge & shaman - he's a gem, authentic & great detox experience.

Not so good - communication...I never got the email re. who to look for at airport...Carolina simply said someone will be there with a sign. I imagined the sign would have my name or some indication of Xinalani.....I waited 2 hrs. ....called the phone # many many times - left numerous msgs....finally wandered into VIP office (figured that was for important people, not me, ) asked at desk if they might be able to help me...she says , "oh, they've been looking for you" ...How can they look for me, nobody knows what I look like?!!! Two hours of hell, not any benches to sit on, sitting on my suitcase as I pictured myself heading back home, thinking maybe Xinalani was just a hoax and I'd never get there......
suggestion - clarify the pick-up system from airport and tell Arturo to carry a cell phone on days of arrival.
Regarding conditions - Carolina assured me when we spoke prior that this was not the rainy season, no way would it rain.........IT RAINED for the first 4 days...torrential..unfortunately , so as it's the jungle and there's no dehumidifiers in rooms, everything is damp and if your clothes or shoes get wet they will not get dry .....period....so lots of damp, cold, not so good for joints and yoga practice......kinda hazardous for getting up and down the steep muddy hillside....
and yes, the hills are steep and the steps rustic....make sure you're in great steep stair climbing shape or you'll be huffing & puffing.

FYI - I had cell phone service and wifi service, no problem.....there's also a house laptop with printer available to guests free of charge.

Room Tip: The shared Big Palapa is at top of hill and it is co-ed...the dining area and main desk are at botto...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank ahavatee

Dear ahavatee,
Thank you for sharing all sides of your stay with us. We are happy to know you enjoyed the positive experiences, but sorry to hear about and the challenging ones. We are definitely trying to improve the pick-up logistic with our external purveyors at the airport, as it is sometimes tricky to make it all go smoothly, mostly during the busy season. As for the weather, it is kind of complicated to assure we won't have rain, as being a tropical location, the weather is very unpredictable, and even if we share our thoughts based on our experience, sometimes we are proven wrong by nature. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting all your expectations. Hopefully we get a second chance with you to redeem that bad first impression you had. If so, please rest assured we will be on top of everything! Focusing on the happy moments you had, we are grateful to have Adriana with us, as she is so inspiring for all of us, her connection with our guests is indeed quite unique! Please feel free to visit our blog to find her full bio, a very interesting extract of her wonderful journey with yoga and meditation! Our Chef and kitchen team will be excited to know you had such kind compliments about them! We see that in the big picture, despite the several attempts to mess with your vacation time, you got to witness some of the wonders we have to offer! Thanks for the useful tips you share with the traveling community, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, hopefully to show you a brighter side of Xinalani. We invite you stay in touch with us through our social media channels and monthly newsletter to stay up-to-date with fun recipes, special promos and more!
Namaste

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I gave myself a gift of a yoga retreat at Xinalani this holiday and it was the best gift I ever gave myself. Everything about the place is amazing...food (Mario and team were fab), service (thanks to Mario and Caroline for all - thanks for being so responsive), ambience (views out of this world), yoga classes (Tammy's Journey Dance was so good for my body and soul). I could go and on. Rather than take my word for it...come experience the magic of this place for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Xinalani_Retreat, Public Relations Manager at Xinalani Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hello Marty J,
It's so rewarding to know you had such a pleasant stay with us! We value your compliments a lot! We will definitely share them with all our staff, as they will be thrilled to hear about it! Chef Mario and his kitchen team put great passion on their job, so Caroline and Mario at guests services! Oh! And guess what? Tammy is running a retreat again early next year! So stay tuned for news about it and feel free to follow us on social media and our blog or sign-up to our newsletter to get fun recipes to try at home, beautiful photos, upcoming yoga workshops and much more! Hope to see you again at Xinalani! Cheers!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Xinalani was one of the most incredible places I have ever been! From the moment we arrived to the moment that we left, the staff could not have been more accommodating. The food was incredibly delicious, healthy and refreshing. The rooms were beautiful and kept so clean throughout the entire week. The yoga studio was amazing, with fresh ocean breezes and incredible views. The staff treated us all like family. The only thing I would change about the whole experience, is next time I will stay longer!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank saraarmstrong

Dear saraarmstrong,
That is so sweet of you to share your amazing experience you had with us! We are glad you enjoyed the whole stay and that our staff was on top of everything. Trust us they will be happy to hear about this! We will share your compliments with the kitchen team and every one else here at Xinalani! Hopefully next time you have a little bit more time to extend the happiness at our little piece of paradise! If you wish to stay in touch with us, please look up for our retreat on social media channels or sign-up for our monthly newsletter, as we share recipes, photos and more on our blog! 'Till next time! Namaste

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I travelled a lot in my life, but this was undoubtedly a stellar experience in so many ways. From the moment you embark on the boat you enter a magical world. It's more than a resort, it's the people, the nature, the ocean, the food, service..and yoga - just perfect. Stop dreaming - do it! .. enjoy! ;-)

Room Tip: each room has it's own beauty and private setting, I think it would be hard to pick a favorite...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
XinalaniCommunityMgr, Public Relations Manager at Xinalani Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

We are really happy to know you enjoyed your stay at our yoga retreat! Thank you for the great review. The boat ride is indeed the enter gate to the experience of your life! It already feels like the adventure is just getting started right!? :) We hope you can come visit us again in the near future. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Not only are the staff incredibly accommodating, kind, and attentive (my baseline for an excellent review), but the whole environment was just perfect. There are four areas to do yoga (officially), but everywhere I went on the property was just incredibly peaceful and beautiful. I could have chosen to be isolated from other guests, but it was nice to get into casual conversations with likeminded people and get to know some people better who are from other countries - this resort gave options.

The resident yoga teacher is INCREDIBLE and designed three days of unique classes perfect for me and the others who were there. She will stay for extra classes, if desired.

While you can't get to any tourist attractions from here (other than the 30-minute boat ride!), there is a little village just over the mountainside, and I felt like I was able to have a little adventure on my own.

I can't say enough great things about Xinalani, and as someone new to yoga retreats, Xinalani has me hooked.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Jessica M,
Thank you for your beautiful review, we couldn't be happier to hear about your great experience at our retreat, and glad to know you started off with the right foot and got you hooked! Hopefully we see you again sometime soon to keep fulfilling your life with such magical moments! Our little piece of paradise, as we like to call it, it's indeed an oasis of peace perfect to bond with nature and meet new friends from all over the world, We will pass your compliments to our Resident Yoga Teacher, Adriana, who we actually just shared her bio on our blog! An extract of her interesting journey with yoga and meditation! Feel free to visit our blog to find this and more fun news and recipes to try at home! It's amazing that you explored Quimixto town and had an adventure on your own! Cheers!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#13 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#4 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#3 of 4 in Yelapa
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites ...
#8 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#25 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Xinalani Retreat? Share your experiences!