“Very Relaxing!”

Ranked #92 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Minnesota
“Very Relaxing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2006

The Ambassador Suites on Los Tules property is truly a great place to stay. So relaxing. They are not like regular hotel rooms........they are condos of different sizes with different size patios and balconies. This is a place for quiet and relaxation, not a loud partying place.
There are no elevators, so be prepared to walk the stairs but there is always someone to carry your luggage.....checking in and checking out. When you are ready to leave, the manager, (Ms. Piana) will call a taxi for you. Although the staff speak little english, they are always there to help or find help for whatever it is that you may need. Purified water is included in the room rate as are all of the cooking items, whether it be in the studio or the master suite. The studios are of different sizes but never too small. The master suite is more of a very large hotel room with a dining area and a comfortable king bed. The bathrooms are of adequet size, and although the lighting may be a little dim, they are all decorated in true Mexican flair and very clean. Never encountered a problem with the shower or water pressure.....it was better than at home! You may get a pool view, ocean view, or both, but whatever view you have will be awesome....and no long walks to any of the pools since the property has seven. Although the Ambassador is located in the middle of the hotel zone, you would never know it due to the private Mexican village-like architecture.
If you want music or need a travel alarm clock, you will have to bring your own, as most of these units are privately owned and what I would refer to as 'basic luxury'. Surprisingly, (for 'basic') there are many good cable television stations and the air conditioning is excellent, with a ceiling fan included. I think that anyone looking for some R&R will really appreciate this place. Soft sand, nice beach. Well worth the price for what you get, but don't get your reservations mixed up with Los Tules, which is a whole other resort that share the same property. Ms. Piana and her staff will meet all of your needs and expectations, located in bldg 15.
Having meals at the little cafe, especially breakfast, is (in my opinion) picture postcard perfect ....overlooking the pool, ocean, mountains, and a view of downtown Vallarta.
The downtown view is truly awesome at night looking across the bay, all lit up with the twinkling lights of the town, starting at the ocean and gradually disappearing into the hills. Very simple and easy living here, like having a temporary home in the middle of paradise. There are always smiles on the faces of the people that stay there.......that should tell you something.
Oh. ...to our delight, we discovered that we were able to receive calls from the U.S. on our cell phone and also text message but could not make outgoing calls. A blessing really, since it is cheaper to make calls from the U.S. than from Mexico......beware!
If you're thinking about staying at the Ambassador, I hope this review helps give a little insight!

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank Holly21

Solo
Business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2006

Stayed from April 9th to the 16th....a last minute decision.
We asked for a Master room this time because it was a little less expensive and has a king bed which is a little softer than what is in the studio (back problems). Of course, the room is smaller due to having no full kitchen, but the layout was great providing us with all of the essentials........large round kitchen table with three cushioned comfy chairs, microwave, toaster, small refrig, and all the dinnerware, flatware, cups, glasses, etc. needed. Oh, let's not forget the coffeemaker! We had a huge side balcony with sliding glass doors which saw the sunrise every morning being on the third floor, and a huge picture window with screens that opened wide in the front, facing the pool and ocean. These aren't the usual windows with just one set of draperies......they all have undersheers for privacy, while still letting in some light. And to reach our master suite, we had an old fashioned circular winding staircase with a bannister to help us along with bags of groceries. The room had everything that the studio has except on a smaller scale and without the kitchen counter, and instead of the 10 gallon jug of purified water, they left us three fresh quarts of water every day, and provided more when we asked. I brought those 'footie' slippers which we never used because the floor was so clean. The bedsheets were changed every other day, even though we only stayed for a week and even though we had a late check out (6 pm) they wanted to change them for us on that day, too.
A couple of days before leaving, I needed to see my doctor for my back problems and blood pressure and since it was right before Easter, my regular dcotor was on vacation. The manager, Maria Piana, happened to be working that Saturday and immediately got on the phone to her doctor and sent me to a nearby hospital where they were ready for me and gave me what I needed. All this cost me $30.00 plus bus fare ($1.20 r/t)......(now where can you walk into an emergency room for $30.00 total in the U.S. with no waiting?)
Although I'd like for this place to remain a secret, the manager and staff really deserve to be praised! They do go above and beyond what they are required than any other hotel that I've stayed at. Very few staff speak fluent english, but you can get your point across with gestures.
The downside was that not only was it spring break for the U.S. but it was 'Holy Week' in Mexico and thier spring break also, so this time we did have to scramble for a lounger, expecially if it was in a prime position......under the huts on the beach, near the pools, etc. and the Mexican population did take priority at the restaurant. I had read this happening at other resorts in Mexico but never had the experience at the Ambassador before this. I must say though, that it was an enlightening experience and that I understand the reasoning being that us Americans can vacation anytime, but the Mexican people cannot. Even so, a few of the waiters recognized me and said with a big smile and open arms "hola amiga.....welcome home!!". Got a hug, too!
All and all, a very 'homey' atmosphere year round with beautiful gardens, wonderful pools, something for everyone except the hard-core partiers that want bars and dancing on the premises. If you want music, you have to bring your own. Lots of security, you'll feel very safe here any time, day or night. I went out to take a picture of the full moon reflecting on the ocean at 4 am and didn't have a worry. When making reservations, don't get the Ambassador confused with Los Tules, even though it's on Los Tules property. All of the buildings are mixed in but there are two completely different check-in areas.

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank warmclimatetraveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2006

floors were so filthy our feet were brown before we had completed walking across the room...was afraid to let the kids play on the floor. maintenance had to repair the safe and loose light switches before we could go out and feed the kids. he also had to clean the tub, but missed the filthy shower....check in personnel wanted to send up cleaning supplies and have us clean it...we emphatically declined..coffee pot had to be replaced and stove was broken. dishes were dirty and had to be washed...was supposed to be placed in a nonsmoking room, but the longer we stayed there the stronger the smell of stale cigarette smoke and mold became...ashtray on dresser indicated was a smoking room...I had to use my inhaler for the first time in over a year...we were told we could not get our deposit back if we left and we could not afford to lose it and go elsewhere. I had to get a comtainer of febreeze and spray the place down to be able to tolerate staying there. will never stay there again. very disappointed especially since the layout of the rooms has such potential...video tape is available if ambassador suites is interested in seeing what is being provided under their name.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2005

Arrived home not too long ago after spending November 14th to the 21st at the Ambassador Suites at Los Tules. Each time we go, we're given a different studio in a different building and again Ms. Piana did not disappoint with size and views. We did have a little trouble with the firmness of the beds and I found that dinner at the property cafe was extremely overpriced (breakfast and lunch were reasonable) but other than that everything was again, perfect. We found that the jacuzzi is located next to the pool nearest the street building but did not take advantage of it after discovering that all of the jacuzzi water in Mexico is either lukewarm or cool. My guess is that if the Mexican resorts had to keep the water heated to the usual 105, their room rates would go up. Of course, that's just a guess but after visiting Ixtapa, Cancun and Mazatlan, I can think of no other conclusion. Regardless of the geckos that visited our studio all week (they were more afraid of us than we were of them) the place was kept immaculate by housekeeping. As usual, felt completely safe and nothing was stolen from the room. If you leave money out expecting the maids to take it for their tip, they will not touch it unless you mark it as such or tell them. This place is run more like a 'mom and pop' hotel in the States....very personalized treatment, caring, honest, and they are obviously very careful about who they hire. Each time I visit Puerto Vallarta and plan to stay elsewhere, I always end up at the Ambassador....it's that beautiful!

23 Thank warmclimatetraveler
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2005

My fiance and I stayed at the Ambassador Suites over Memorial day weekend and we really liked it--we'll definitely go back again. In fact, we are planning on getting married in PV. Although ambassador suites is somewhat separate from the main resort (Los Tules)--it has a different front desk--we were still able to enjoy all of the amenities of the resort. The restaurant was a good value for b-fast, which is the only meal we ate there. I like that they give you complimentary bottled water every day. All in all, very much worth it and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2005
19 Thank Amparo G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2005

We stayed at the Ambassador Suites from February 14th to 28th 2005 and just loved the place. We decided on this placed based upon the other reviews (thank you Trip Advisor for having a great web site), and we were not disappointed. My wife and I booked a charter from Winnipeg and got a master suite. Our daughter and her husband, who live in Calgary booked from there. Our daughter's mother- in -law from Winnipeg came as well and had a suite of her own. We were worried that the 5 of us would be scattered all over the Los Tules resort which has many blocks. Our daughter had arrived a day earlier than us and thanks to one of the above reviews, she got in touch with the manager, Maria Euguina Piana who was extremely helpful and obviously a caring person. Maria arranged it so that we were all in the same block/building which was very kind of her. When ever we needed something she was always there for us. On one evening in particular, when we had planned an evening out, we were making a reservation and the price quoted was way above the price in my guide book. Maria got on the phone for us and was able to get us the quide book price saving us many U.S. dollars. Thank you Maria. Ambassador Suites are in a condo type setting. All 3 of our suites faced the swimming pool and had an ocean view. There are 7 pools in the complex and you didn't have to get up at 7 am to stake claim to a lounge chair which was really nice. We each had balconies of different sizes but they were all nice with plastic tables and chairs. We could watch the beautiful P.V. Sunset from our balcony. Our suite was very clean, with a king size bed with a huge hand carved head board, glass pedestal table with 4 chairs, two beautiful antique arm chairs, phone, cable TV, in room safe, counter with microwave, toaster, coffee maker, mini fridge in the closet, and full bathroom. We had fresh bottled water every day and daily maid service. It has 4 tennis courts. The grounds are immaculant and every day there were grounds keepers making sure they stayed that way. No real noise from the street and tons of Palm trees , flowers, and cobble stone foot paths, which saw joggers and power walkers every morning. The bus stopped right out front of the complex and there was a large grocery store across the street which is convenient as this in not an all inclusive resort. It's very quiet at night which was just fine with us. We just went downtown to old P.V. and the Malecon for the night life. The ocean out front was nice but pebbly when getting in. Although just a very short strool down the beach was water with a sandy bottom. If good price, peace, privacy, and comfort is what you are looking for I would recommend the Ambassador Suites. Oh! Even though they have no elevators, we enjoyed climbing the stairs to our suite on the 3rd floor as we always eat to much when on vacation.

• Stayed February 2005
28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2004

Stayed at the Ambassador from July 28th to August 3rd.
Acommodations are basic but more than just a hotel room IF you ask for the studio. It's like having your own little condo in a Mexican Village type setting. No funny smells, no mold or mildew, no elevators, hard beds, but very clean.... a 20 gallon bottle of water is supplied on a whenever-you-need-it basis. Plenty of bath towels, huge beach towels, wonderful maids and other staff, your privacy comes first. Although no room safe, I never had any money stolen even after leaving it sitting out on the tables. No clock radios and T.V. has a limited number of cable channels but the channels are good. Terraces are HUGE and decorated with plants and flowers, tables, chairs and lounger is out there, too (plastic). Seven pools to choose from and pool loungers are soft and comfortable, NOT the hard plastic. There are several palapas with chairs and loungers scattered on the beach but get taken early. Cafe is open for all three meals, food is good with very reasonable prices, friendly waiters. Located on an expansive stretch of clean beach with soft sand, and a little cleaner part of the ocean. The bus stop into town is right out on the street in front of the hotel (40 cents) and a mall across the street with a nice department store (Lans) and a supermarket, money exchange, bank, a 24 hour pharmacy and various other little stores. Street is blocked from view by palm trees and other foliage. This is a little known hideaway, they don't advertise much. I can't give this an above agerage rating, although it deserves to be, because there are no elevators, it is not a fancy place and no organized activities or music....which is a plus in my book for those looking for peace and quiet. For the price it can't be beat. Winding walking paths lined with flowers and lights at night, (romantic) and security all around. At times I've gone there alone and always felt safe. For families, there are family pools and a kids pool, for singles and adults there is a 'quiet pool' with most pools overlooking the ocean. No hassles from timeshare hawkers that I ever encountered. They even supply your dish detergent and paper towels! When you're ready to leave, Jesus (pronounced hey-soos) will run out to the street and hail you a cab.....very personalized service. The cab ride back to the airport is usually 50 pesos....$5.00. I say 'usually' because it can vary a little. By the way, a cab to your hotel will cost anywhere from $11.00 to $20.00 at the airport upon arrival....unless you grab your luggage and walk out of the airport to the street curb. At the curb, your cab fare will start at $6.00 (60 pesos)! And for those on a budget or if you just want to save some $$, catching a bus to your hotel will only cost 8 pesos (80 cents). I've done that on a few occasions, with one wheeled suitcase and a carry-on as long as you don't block the aisle. Anyone with questions about the manager's name, phone numbers, faxs, fares etc. feel free to email me.

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member