“Tremendous value right on beach”
Review of Vallarta Shores

Vallarta Shores
Ranked #4 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I am finishing up a 2 week stay at Vallarta Shores. I had not heard of the place before visiting, but after seeing it from the beach, stopping by and viewing a few of the units I decided to change check out of my hotel and switch to Vallarta Shores. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday I had to change rooms a few times but I didn't mind as it allowed me to view different rooms (1 bedroom) including the penthouse.

The best feature to me is the location, literally right on Playa Los Muertos, but in a slightly more secluded area with less noise and traffic. It is a 5-10 minute walk to tons of great cafes, bars and restaurants. I found it very convenient to run out to the ocean for a quick swim whenever I felt like it.

Each unit is somewhat different with unique artwork and furnishings. Most units have very large balconies with unbelievable views. The bathrooms are quite large and each unit I saw had a full kitchen, as well as more storage/closets than you would ever need.

The beds are comfortable and if you like to listen to the waves at night, you can sleep with doors or windows open. I was surprised there were hardly any bugs or mosquitos at all.

The final night I was upgraded for free to one of the penthouse units. It had 3 bedrooms, 3 full baths, a full kitchen, a private pool, and an open floorplan under the stars, facing the beach. I think it would be best for a small group of 4-6 friends. You could have an amazing time celebrating a special occasion here, as the space is ideal for entertaining and parties. It would also be suitable for a family who wants a large single unit and prefers to cook at home.

I also found the price to be truly remarkable for what was provided!! I am not sure if my rate was the standard but I would advise emailing the hotel to ask about specials. Other hotels on the beach were more expensive and didn't offer nearly as much. I would strongly advise against staying at one of the many chains in Puerto Vallarta as I found the value proposition was far better at a boutique hotel like Vallarta Shores.

There is an average sized pool area that didn't seem to be used very much, but there's little reason to spend time at the pool when the ocean is at your doorstep.

All of the staff went well out of their way to help with various issues and requests. They will be happy to welcome you and make sure your stay is as enjoyable as possible. Everyone seemed fluent in English and Spanish.

The only thing that wasn't ideal was the WiFi seemed a little flaky but it considering it was free I didn't consider it an issue. I noticed they were installing new equipment so this may already be resolved.

To summarize, for my needs as a single traveler the hotel was close to perfect and earns my highest rating. I would also recommend it for a couple who would like a romantic vacation, or a family would also likely be happy in a larger unit.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank mpstack

Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed in Penthouse A for our honeymoon-- INCREDIBLE!! The private pool and deck that overlooked the ocean were amazing. Everything was clean and comfortable, the rooms had air conditioning and Dulce our cook was wonderful. She made us laugh, helped us learn Spanish and cooked amazing meals.

This place really is a hidden gem. It's right on the beach and near lots of nice restaurants, but it also feels secluded. If you are looking to be in the heart of nightlife, this is not the place, but for a romantic getaway we couldn't have picked a better place in Puerto Vallarta. Another bonus about this place is Anna, who runs the front desk, she is a native of the US, so she speaks English and will give you good an honest advice on things like where to eat and how to avoid getting scammed.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelistaG
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I can't wait to return to Vallarta Shores! My husband and I and two other couples stayed in Penthouse A. Awesome! From their huevos rancheros, to fresh fish tacos, to one block margaritas, Marta and Ruben took great care of us! Ruben even coordinated a day fishing trip for the guys, zip line excursion, and a dolphin adventure excursion. The bedrooms were well equipped for relaxing, sleep and even movie night! I felt safe and relaxed all week. The people were friendly and helpful. Thank you everyone at Vallarta Shores!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuvnKanaDan
Reviewed 25 November 2009

This hotel IS Mexico. I vacation twice a year. I am not fond of the 5 star clone hotels that you find in the hotel zone of every resort town. I travel to experience part of the culture and people. I read all the reviews before traveling and received a mixed message. So i was a bit concerned before arrival. I traveled to Mexico with my partner for 19 years and two other friends. We rented Penthouse A (which i highly recommend). The accommodations were perfect. It exceeded our expections. The architecture is Mexican , the decor is Mexican and we felt like we were in Mexico. (This is a good thing). The Penthouse was absolutely amazing. It had 3 bedrooms, two of which opened onto the breezeway near the pool. There were 3.5 baths. The kitchen was amazing. The living, dining and pool area were all open aired. I was very concerned about this because I do not tolerate heat well. I am a Texas girl and I know hot. It was perfect. In the mornings and evenings, it was nice and cool. During the day, it was fine. We spent our days by the pool or in the pool so we were never hot. Prior to the stay, we were apprehensive about having a chef. We did not want someone in our space during our vacation. We all agreed to try it out initially and then we were hooked. If you are truly lucky, you will get Chef Dulce. She was magnificent and completely changed our mind about the idea of a chef. The food was out of this world and the cost was considerable cheaper than eating out in Puerto Vallarta. We cant say enough about Dulce. She is one of the reasons we will return to this establishment. She became more than our chef. She gave us guidance about Puerto Vallarta and became one of our friends. We hope to reconnect with her soon. We enjoyed all of the staff. Jorge runs the place and was very accommodating. Anna is at the front desk was very pleasant. Zoe was also at the front desk and she was delightful. Angi was one of the maids and she was outstanding as well. We stayed in the Penthouse for 7 nights. It was the best vacation we have had in years. This is due to the accommodations and hospitality shown by the staff at this hotel. If you are looking for a 5 star Americanized hotel, dont stay here. But if you are looking for cultural experience and want to really feel like you are on vacation, I would highly recommend this place. It is very very nice. Every unit has a frontal view of the ocean and balcony that opens onto it. Every room is neatly decorated in mexican tile and decor. It is clean and maid service is provided daily. The people are wonderful. If I could stay here annually, I would. Take a chance on this place. You wont be disappointed.

I would like to say a special hello to Dulce from her friends in Texas. We miss you and hope to see you soon. Thanks for making our trip so wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jacquelineandme
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We stayed at Vallarta Shores last year. I am not sure how much these other poeple travel that gave it RAVE reviews. My family and I found it a horrible condo hotel, very out dates and horrible service. We were there only 3 days and that night of the 3rd day some people climed in our window while we were sleeping and stole ,money, I pods and jewelry! We talked to the management the next day and they did not do ANYTHING for us. we checked out that morning and went to another place. Do not waste your time or money. You only get few vacations don't ruin it by going here.

Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
10  Thank VillaGuy22
Reviewed 22 October 2009

What a find! When we found out we had a wedding to attend in Puerta Vallarta (where we'd never been), our vision of the city was all cruise ships and skyscraper-sized all-inclusive resorts... so not our vibe. So we searched for the smallest hotel we could possibly find on the beach and ended up here at Vallarta Shores. Score! Our 1-bedroom suite was only $90/night plus tax (on off season). It was huge and gorgeous, a massive living room with a full kitchen and a lovely bedroom - both rooms opened out onto beachfront patios - que guapa!!!
Nestled at the far end of Los Muertos beach, we felt totally secluded even though we were conveniently just a five minute walk from a handful of restaurants and "beach scenes." The swimming was great - warm water and gentle waves.
Thank you to Jorge and Ruben, who could not have been more hospitable. We will definitely stay here again if we ever return to PV (which, for the record, is not all cruise ships and mega resorts - it is a beautiful and charming town perched on magnificent beaches. We would definitely return!)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank elisedara
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Wow...what a lucky find !

Having previously booked another Hotel behind on the hill, on arrival it wasn’t really what I was looking for...so went for a wander along the Beach and found Vallarta Shores ! As it was the low season, they quoted me a fantastic rate (Thanks Anna !), and when I saw the room (Apt 4), I was definitely sold. I moved there first thing the next day !

It was perfect, laid out with great comfortable furnishings, and I could see and hear the waves break from my bed ! Having free internet access was fantastic, so could set up my laptop and watch the sunsets. It is also close enough to all the action when you want it, and far enough away to be blissfully quiet at night.

And it got even better, as they had to move for me for my last night to Penthouse B...a glamorous, spacious 3 Bedroom apartment, with it's own pool and large living/Dining area...I was in Heaven ! I invited another friend I had met to stay and enjoy the experience...he was also blown away.

Thanks to all the staff, Anna, Ruben & Jorge for really making my holiday a great time, I will definitely be back there when next in Puerto Vallarta...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo