“A Cool Place on a Hot Beach”

Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“A Cool Place on a Hot Beach”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I didn't get to stay at this wonderful new hotel long enough! It's located on a great stretch of beach in Puerto Vallarta, not too far from the famed Malecon. I am saying that it's a cool place, because it really does capture a modern vibe in the way it is designed, in decor choice, in music played, in the whole setup. The food was really lovely in the dining room at breakfast; it didn't seem at all like a typical all inclusive. I love the way the chaise-lounges are built right into the water! Also, large sized amenities can be found in the bathrooms, and I also loved my comfy luxury-designed bathtub! The way the building is angled, it would be hard to get a bad view.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank BeaBC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,252)
  • Korean first
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

This resort caters to adults only. Although it shares a property with the Amber Now a family resort.
One huge plus is no wrist bands! The rooms are beautiful - full attention to detail. The preferred member bar area is a plus - Carlos can make a wicked Caesar.
I recommend tipping for drinks and at meals. The staff work hard to make sure every thing is to you're standards.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Bill-Vancouver
La Crosse, WI
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is a well designed new hotel on the beach in the Hotel Zone on Banderas Bay. There are four towers that share various amenities on the campus. "Secrets" is the adult-only half of the complex, and this is where my wife and I stayed. "Now" is the family section of the campus. Secrets guests can go to the Now buildings, and vice versa except kids have to stay at Now.

Positives:
Clean, and kept clean 24/7. Good sized rooms with normal package. Free stocked room refrigerator with soda, water and beer. Large, well appointed shower and bath. Wonderful bedding. Food: Well above average for an all inclusive, except at the pool. Skip lunch poolside and go to Market Café for better food and service. We mostly ate breakfast and lunch on property and went into town for dinner.
Bars: As far as premium liquor goes, I drink Bourbon, and the best they had was Jim Beam. Their rum and vodka selection was better, probably for all the fruity drinks they make. No Heineken, limited wine at lobby bar, even the Mexican beer selection was limited to Modello and Pacifico, with the omnipresent Corona for Coors Light afficiandos. Great bartenders, eager to make your time pleasurable. If you can find Alejandro, he's your man. Best restaurant is Oceana, which is a seafood restaurant in the Now building. The hotel was 25% occupied most of the time we were there. No need to get up early to stake a claim on a lounge chair here, most everyone is a mature adult, and happy in this clean and pleasant place. Interesting architecture with heavy use of stone tile and some nautical touches, like the sail overhang at the entrance and teak decks off the lobby.

Negatives: They advertise $200 of hotel cash with your reservation. What you get is a coupon book with weasel clauses and provisos. My mom's cigar box of grocery coupons is worth millions by the same mathmatical conventions used here. Completely worthless and insulting to anyone who can afford to stay at hotels of this caliber. Lastly, at some point you may encounter the hotel's own gang of hyper-polite timeshare sharks, who swim near the main entrance and concierge desk. Their job is to feed referrals to the "Unlimited Vacations" timeshare operation in the Now building. They are an annoyance to steer clear of, although they are strategically placed to be in your face several times a day. Free WiFi is good for email, not much else - there are only 3-4 access points that are chronically overloaded - but maybe that's good, too, since we're on vacation, right? Concierge service is OK, but limited to the concierge website they rely on. Your own advance research will serve you well, use the consierge for making reservations, and taxi drivers will get you there with Mexican precision.

I'd give this place five stars if they would relocate the land sharks completely out of the lobby and into a shack down the street. And finally make public indoor areas, like the lobby, smoke free.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a full view of Banderas Bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Steven K
Mexico City
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The property is quite new, food is of good quality, rooms are really nice, several pools which are kept clean, a variety of meal options... but staff is the best attribute of the resort. I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Vallarta.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Luis M
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I went over New Years and had a great time. When we arrived we got a free upgrade to the Ocean View room but didn't really see how a room in the resort would not have an ocean view; however it was appreciated. The only issue I had with this place is during check-in; the "coupons" that you get requires you to sit down with a rep and give all sorts of information and then they invite you to a "special breakfast" which really felt like a time share deal even though they said it wasn't; we didn't go to the breakfast. As for the coupons, they're kind of worthless, sure you can save $200, it just requires you to spend a whole lot more.

After check-in everything else was excellent; the wait staff by the pools are great and I never went thirsty. I recommend bringing plenty of $1 bills to tip; it's not required but think it's kind of expected, I know it's definitely appreciated. If you have larger bills the front desk can change them for US $1 bills, this is what we did (5 days and tipped out about $80-$100). I've seen other reviews complain about the kids on the other half of the resort; it was never an issue for us and we didn't even really hear them; a total non issue.

As with other places in Mexico, when you're on the beach there are people coming up to you trying to sell stuff; this is a major turn off for us so I think we're done with Mexico but you can't blame the resort for that. The beech is nice but it's a bit rocky going from beach to the water but I think that's common for the Pacific side. All in all the rooms, food and drink were all great and I would recommend visiting.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Casey D
oshkosh,wisconsin
Reviewed 10 January 2013

we went there for 7 nights the 3rd to 10th of november.we loved being part of the city walk out of the resort & there is a costco right behind the resort-walked the streets of the town which was awesome-from out the doorway could watch the city wake which we loved-the rooms are good/beds goood-as always all the staff werre helpful/friendly-the rec guys would call you by name by the second days & were friendly/helpful-all the wait staff were also great-the food by the pool during the day was very good with good variety-the only time we did the evening restaurant we did not like-ordered linguine with shrimp-tasted like chef boy r dee w/noodles & precooked shrimp-did room service aloty & that was always fast & good-in all a nice resort would go back to liked being close to town as use to do nuevo & were to far from town this is 5 minute cab to malecon

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank markjohn1957
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My husband and I were here in early October for 8 days for our honeymoon. It was the end of the rainy season and the resort was empty, like 12% capacity. It was absolutely incredible! The weather was perfect the whole time. I would recommend going this time of year.

To start the rooms are very nice, we stayed in a swim out suite and we would definitely book it again. In the mornings we usually headed to the swim up bar but by the afternoon we headed back to our suite, lounged on the patio and enjoyed the swim out. They will come by and serve you food and drinks all day. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable.

The property is beautiful, we enjoyed watching the sunsets from the lobby every night. All of the pools are clean and well maintained. The beach area was average. They have lounge chairs and huts but you can't really lay in them because of the locals trying to sell things on the beach, they are their from sun up to sun down and if you even go by the beach they will try and sell you something.
We enjoyed all of the restaurants, the service was top notch and the food was delicious. We also ordered room service, limited menu but decent food. I absolutely loved the pastry basket. We also enjoyed the little coffee shop located on the NOW side of the resort. The barista was great I think her name was Jasmine. The coffee was good and she made a really good drink with ice cream, I don't remember what is was called. I could go on and on about the food!!!! You won't be disappointed.
Since the resort was so empty we did not really participate in any of the daily activities such as water aerobics, beach volleyball, yoga and so on. I would imagine if the resort had more people these activities would have been a lot of fun.
We ventured off of the resort a couple of days (not on any excursions) and I would recommend that if you want to see more of the culture. We took the city bus downtown and walked around; It was a fun experience, especially the bus ride :). We felt safe the whole time and everyone that we encountered was friendly. Again they are trying to sell you stuff the whole time so if you don't like that this would not be for you. We also took a taxi to and from the marina. I was fun to walk around and see all of the fancy boats that were docked.
The spa experience was incredible, we got messages with our honeymoon package. The prices are typical for a spa with a resort, expensive!

We also did the romantic dinner on the beach one night, that was fun and I would do it again. The breakfast in bed was beyond amazing, so much food and so good! I would book these closely upon arrival if interested.

I could go on and on with this review! We had an amazing experience and I would recommend this resort to anyone. The grounds are beautiful, the food is delicious, the spa was worth it, the people and staff are extraordinary. It really is a home away from home:)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Pratts_22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & ...
#7 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!