“Amazing!!!”

Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The facilities, the cleanliness, the service, everything was over the top. Everybody goes out of their way to make you feel more than at home, they make you feel important and pampered. Thank you all!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
2  Thank Elizabeth ** M
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Hello Elizabeth ** M,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at our beautiful resort. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your time at Secrets Vallarta Bay and particularly enjoyed our staff. It was our pleasure having you and look forward to welcoming and pampering you in the lap of luxury again in the near future.

Cordially,

Mauricio Martinez

Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was our second time to Puerto Vallarta. My husband and I went with a couple of friends for 5 nights. We paid the extra for the preferred building. We would definitely do it again. The entrance is very near the pool so if the pool bar is busy it is a short walk to the preferred building for a drink. The bartenders Noe and Fernando were the best. The appetizer type bar that is set up all day at the preferred building is also perfect if you want a snack between meals. The restaurants were all good but none of them were GREAT. Himitsu was fun a Benihana's kind of show.

I will second, third, and fourth the massage parlors at the bottom of the hill. Do not expect a spa like setting it is very simple but you can't beat a good hour and a half massage for $35.

One word of warning - the bathroom by the pool is flat out dangerous. There was a couple of times when I walked to the preferred building to use the lobby bathroom instead of navigating the pool bathrooms. There is a ramp down to the bathroom with very little traction. By very little I mean about 1.5" tape strips across the ramp about every five feet or so. I thought all of this before the day before we were supposed to leave when my friend broke her leg in three places. The hotel was GREAT about taking care of us the extra 6 days we had to stay there while she was in the hospital. They transported her husband and I back and forth from the hotel to the hospital every day. Word of warning Mexico is not like the states they don't have the liability like they would here.

Before the whole accident though we all had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Pay for the preferred rooms it is worth it even if it's just for the preferred alcohol. Have a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TiffanyHonestandFair
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We just got back from Secrets Vallarta Bay last night. It was really difficult to leave! I have stayed at many "5 star" resorts and this resort really met my standard. The views are incredible...from any room. I was going to upgrade to the preferred side and after reading previous reviews I changed my mind. I'm sure the preferred suites are lovely but our room (1607 on 6th floor) in the main building was fantastic! You can definitely see how well this hotel is maintained. The a la carte restaurants are great...I particularly enjoyed the Mexican restaurant, Tamarindo and Bordeaux, the french restaurant. The buffet is so so...like any other resort buffet. BUT the service is wonderul! The rooms have these privacy boxes next to the door so if you want total privacy and order room service, they deliver your food to the box where you open it from your side of the room. These little touches really made the trip unique. A couple other things I have read in previous reviews I would like to comment on: Concierge and time share presentation - They tried to book us for this presentation as soon as we arrived. They will try to reel you in with the coupon book they offer you. We took the coupon book and didn't have to attend the presentation. They definitely try very hard to get you to attend this thing. I found that everyone does this in PV. We went downtown a couple of times and everyone we spoke to tried to get us to attend a presentation of some sort for whatever deals they were offering. The beach - The beach is not very swimmable at the resort. It is quite rocky. There really aren't any swimmable beaches in PV unless you take an excursion to another beach near by. Which by the way is totally worth it. We saw dolphins playing in the ocean several mornings in front of the hotel. Amazing. There are several ininite pools at the resort overlooking the beach that are super fun and we never had a problem finding chairs by the pools. The location of the hotel is perfect. It is about 10 minutes from the airport and 5 mins from downtown PV. A cab downtown costs about $6US (approx 60 pesos) and it's about a 20 min walk. We walked it after the first trip. When I booked the vacation (through bookit) I pre-paid for airport transfer. This is not necessary! It cost me $30 per person for a 10 min cab ride that would have cost me maybe $10US. Don't bother...just get in a cab at the airport. All in all, we were very happy with our stay and we would defnitely return!

Room Tip: Perfect views from any room. The main building where the lobby is located is at the centre of the h...
1  Thank travelbug2222
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Was this stay better than my first one? Yes! Will I return to this hotel? Absolutely!
We again stayed in the Preferred Club and my request for a 4th floor room was granted. Room was fully appointed and clean. Our maid, Cirenia, was just wonderful and made sure we always had everything we asked for.
Service from the staff from everyone was awesome. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food was good to very good. We ate at Bordeaux twice. They have the most exceptional staff at that restaurant. Eziel and Carlos were two of them as well as the manager there.
All of the servers at the pool and beach were great. We never went hungry or thirsty. Someone was always stopping by every 15 minutes to check on us.
Omar, the bartender at the Preferred Club was great. He must be the best bartender in the place. He made the most excellent Espresso Martinis. He needs to teach the bartenders at the lobby lounge how to make a good drink.
I did notice that on this trip, we were not greeted with a drink after we got out of the taxi. They did have to cool towels though. First I thought it was just us but I saw many people arriving and they weren't greeted with drinks either. Maybe the hotel has stopped this.
I also noticed many adults from the Now Amber side coming over to the Secrets pool to hang out and drink. I wish the hotel would figure out a way to stop this. After all, those that paid to stay at Secrets are paying more than the guests at Now. The hotel was fairly crowded also. We were there from Nov 19 and left on Nov 24.
All in all, another great stay at this resort. Can't wait to return "home" again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

we just got back from Puerto Vallarta last night after spending the week of nov 17-24/13.
+30 hot, humid and sunny. this is the first all-inclusive I have tried since being diagnosed with celiac 2 years ago, because I was leery about the whole no control over my food issues. we stayed at the secrets Vallarta bay resort in Puerto Vallarta. I emailed back and forth with resort customer service and was assured by violeta that they deal all the time with food allergies.
when we arrived I was given a gluten free card by the concierge that i was to show our waiters in all the restaurants. most of the waiters knew what i could not eat off of the menus and if they were not sure they would take my card back to the chef and check.
i was treated very well and had no problems the week we were there. the french restaurant was amazing we dined there on our first and on our last night. carlos our table captain and his wonderful crew found me excellent gluten free bread for our meal and on our last night even found me a gluten free crème brule for desert. I could have eaten at the French restaurant every night. the food and the service were by far the best at the resort.
the Italian restaurant was only very good. we dined there twice the first evening with another couple we had met down there. the food was quite good and so was the service. the second time it was just my wife and I and we were seated in an out of the way spot and the service was lacking, maybe a 4 out of 5.
the Asian restaurant had only one salad and one entrée that as a celiac I could eat, the service was ok but not up to our expectations, 3.5 out of 5.
we did not try the Japanese, which is the only restaurant that requires a reservation, because the dinner was cooked in front of the group at the table and I was not sure how I would be able to handle it being gluten free, we heard good reviews of it though.
lunches were spent at either the oceana seafood restaurant by the pool or at the marketplace buffet up by the hotel. both were casual and very enjoyable.
the first morning we had a breakfast buffet at the marketplace. when the matre de found out I was celiac he personally gave me a tour of the entire buffet, omelet station, quesada station and the usual breakfast buffet selections. he told me what was safe for me to and what wasn't, if he was not sure he called over one of the chefs to check.
the secrets side of the resort is adult only and the now side is family oriented if you are travelling with kids.
we went downtown and felt very safe, i did not eat down there so i can’t comment on the restaurants. we did a few excursions and i was careful what i ate. one of the excursions was “rhythms of the night” where we took a catamaran to a private island for a candle light dinner and a show “think circ de sole meets the jungle”. i found one of the chefs when we got there and showed him my own gf travel card translated into spanish and he walked me through the buffet showing me what i could and couldn’t eat, i was very impressed and felt safe and relieved about the food. our sever at the marketplace, carlos and sometimes ricardo, were very friendly and helpful. at our last breakfast I told carlos we were leaving and he told us not to leave and he disappeared for 5 minutes. he came back with a muffin sized chocolate cake on a white plate that was decorated with chocolate drawings and he had written "have a good trip home" in chocolate, it was beautiful. sadly we had already packed the camera because that would have been my picture of the trip.
one afternoon I got to put on a silly little chef hat and tour all the kitchen facilities at the resort. it was a very large facility, very informative and absolutely spotless. being celiac I can be a little anal about food cleanliness and cross contamination. after the tour I was quite impressed.
i would rate the resort as 4. 5 out of 5 as the asian restaurant was a disappointment for my wife and I.
on a couple of days our rooms were not cleaned until late in the day and they also missed the turndown service a couple of times.
if i can pry the gf bread recipe from yoana, the friendliest, most helpful and apologetic concierge I have ever met, i will change my rating to a 5 out of 5. i could have eaten just a loaf of the bread with butter and not even ordered off the menu.
if anyone wants to hire me to take them down and guide them through the around, let me know. lol.

my wife and I will definitely be back, maybe next year we will try the now family side if our grandson is old enough to travel with us.

paul

4  Thank 57paul57
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked at Now Amber but on arrival was told we where booked on the Secrets side. As I had stayed at other Secrets Resorts which were mostly honeymooners/couples ( and I was traveling with my mother) I was concerned. Was informed that they had a large group of University students at Now Amber who were causing some problems so they moved us. It worked out well. We had a room on the 11th floor with a great view. The room was large and clean.
The food was great at all the restaurants, breakfast buffets were generally the same daily but had a lot of choices. Oceana has great shrimp and fish for lunch and is relaxing. Nouveau was my favorite with wonderful mussels and rack of lamb. My mother loved Capers, the Italian restaurant and the filet was amazing. We had Mexican at El Patio at Dreams PV Resort, Secrets made the reservations and we took a taxi over. I had stayed at Dreams last year and I love El Patio!
I don't feel the preferred tower at Secrets is worth the extra cost. We had free internet and free calls from the room to the US. I would recommend staying in the higher rooms for the view. But remember the beach and water are nothing like the Caribbean!
I would now like to recognize some of the people who made our stay wonderful:
Reception: Marilyn
Market Cafe: The best of the best - Teodoro, Heriberto, Humberto and Ricardo

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank PennsylvaniaOnthego
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our third time at this Secrets resort, we are very familiar with the Secrets chain, also have stayed at Maroma, St. James, Huatulco.
During this stay their was a group of 10 of us. For the most part service was excellent. especially pool and beach service, Omar your the Best!! Food and Drink always good.
It would be nice If the lobby bar had more lively music for in the evenings. The Now Amber Side seem to get the better live music. Also as many reviews have said I agree lighting in vanity area poor. I would not hesitate to stay at this resort again for a 4th time!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends