“Pure Bliss”

Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #15 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had an amazing time at this all-inclusive resort. We were 2 couples and the hotel really treated us like VIP's! Open-bar was phenomenal: every day they had special drinks. Food was fantastic, great option for veggies! The entertainment team really made the difference: loved Johnathan and Hugo. They want above and beyond to make sure you were having fun, whether it be volleyball or water aerobics. Well worth every dollar!

3  Thank palak87
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hello Palak87,

It thrills us to know that you and your party enjoyed your recent stay at Secrets Vallarta. It was our pleasure to be your host and pamper you in Unlimited Luxury. It is most pleasing to know that our gourmet restaurants, top shelf drinks and staff met your expectations. Our staff sends their best and we thank you for taking the time to share with our readers. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Cordially,

Mauricio Martinez

Write a ReviewReviews (3,522)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We traveled to Secrets Vallarta Bay with another couple last week. Between the awesome staff, delicious drinks and great food -- we had a wonderful time. I can't say enough about the excellent service provided by the staff. They truly go above and beyond. A special shout out to Hugo, Jonathan and Cynthia!

The rooms are also beautiful and daily activities/entertainment make it fun to meet fellow vacationers. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Shruti P
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This resort is second to none. The staff are ever so accommodating, Gergrdo & Freddy rest. servers. Mario & Omar pool runners. Rosa hostess. Alex head concierge. Brenda (Dr.) at the resort. The above mentioned went beyond my expectations. The food was the best of any resort I have holidayed at and I travel at least twice a year. The lounges and beds are ever so comfortable that one forgets they are not at home. The cleaning staff keep everything spotless. The lobby is always inviting with a view of the ocean and the bar staff making sure you have all you need.
If I had any complaint, it would be that as I was hurt upon entering the premise, therefore I felt upper management should have contacted me to see if I needed or wanted anything. I never saw a person, although I did ask who I could speak to. Indeed they did take me to the hospital and took care of the cost.
Would I return? In a heart beat. I would tell all who would listen that this is the place to go. We are planning another trip to this resort in Nov. 2014.
Thank you to all who made this a great time.

Room Tip: There is no bad room although floors 5 and above have a beautiful view of the ocean.
4  Thank 553Barbara
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

553Barbara,

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are very excited to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is more than edifying to know that our staff rose to the occasion and took the best care of you. Please know that it was not due to lack of interest and concern that upper management did not contact you, Alex our head Concierge is very qualified in these matters. You, our valued guest is very important to us, again we thank you for the opportunity to serve. We all look forward to welcoming you back in November where I hope to have the opportunity to greet you during your stay.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A High Quality Experience

This was our third all inclusive vacation in Puerto Vallarta. We were at Secrets Vallarta Bay March 8th to March 15th, 2014.

Our room on the sixth floor was exactly as shown on the web site and travel brochure. It provided a stunning view of the Bay of Banderas and the resort grounds below. And the weather was perfect, consistently 26 – 28C for the seven days we were there. No rain and few clouds. We didn’t have any difficulty finding poolside or beach recliners mainly because it was usually mid to late morning when we arrived poolside and without exception we were able to find obtain towels and find vacant lounges on the beach under a palapa. There were exercise activities in the pools or a game of beach volleyball going on but it was done with a minimum of noise – no loud continuous commentary or thumping music that one hears at other resorts. Contemporary relaxation music plays softly in the background at all times. We didn't avail ourselves of the Fitness and Spa facilities but next time we will. We viewed the rapid and incredibly colored sunsets from our balcony almost every night. And we left the windows open all night except for the screens and slept with the sound of the waves in the background.

Because the resort has a more compact layout than others, the beach area with its loungers and palapas was in close proximity to the beach bar. This is usually a good feature but on a couple of afternoons people got pretty boisterous around the beach bar and without going into specifics some of the loud comments were offensive. Having said that, they were there to have a good time and they did. It was entertaining if not entirely welcome to see and hear all this from the beach.

The beach was tan colored sand, intense blue water and pristine. We didn’t go into the ocean because of a strong undertow but we enjoyed the several pools and went for walks along the broad beach. One afternoon we were reclining in the shade of a palapa when someone started ringing a bell. This was the signal for “whales sighted.” About a mile off downtown Puerto Vallarta, through binoculars, we saw the tail flukes. There were two whales at play here and on several occasions they leapt completely out of the water with spectacular splashes. This awesome and unexpected bonus of fins, spume and acrobatics continued across the bay for almost an hour before they left the area.

The beach waiters provided excellent service and were attentive. They made sure our Margaritas were replenished promptly. We enjoyed the food and outstanding service at Oceana, Capers, Carnival and Bordeaux where we ate on two occasions. Tamarindo – the Mexican restaurant, was enjoyable and our favourite. We also went to this restaurant twice because of the food, the service and Galilea’s delightful banter. The service was excellent everywhere and we never needed a reservation.

At night we enjoyed small instrumental and vocal groups that performed in the open air infinity pool – like sitting areas in the lobbies which faced the ocean. People took their coffee there in the morning and sat with their drinks to watch the glorious sunsets. Of particular note was an intense performance of Flamenco dancing on the last night of our stay.

There were always a group of white clad licenced beach vendors standing in a line outside a low fence across the beachfront with a variety of merchandise: silver jewellery, hats, colorful blankets and scarves. This might be a turn off to people who simply want to sit and look out at the ocean and not have their view obstructed. They were polite and most kept their distance and when we did make a few purchases from an older vendor, he was personable and helpful with stories to tell. He said he’d sold on the beach for thirty years and he’d never do anything else. He loved it.

We were only 15 - 20 minutes walking distance to Puerto Vallarta’s beautiful Malecon. It was like a huge outdoor art gallery. We stopped to appreciate paintings, metal, stone and sand sculptures along the mile and a half waterfront walk. There was with lots of shopping, (jewelry and souvenir) restaurants and bars. We felt safe walking on the street leading to the Malecon but we had to watch our step because of the state of disrepair of the some of the sidewalks along the way.

Before we left the Malecon, we stopped at a small, rustic beachside seafood restaurant for a couple of cold beers. We erred on the side of caution and didn’t order anything to eat but here there was warm sunshine, circling sea birds and the sound of the waves. What ambience.

Through our Air Transat representative we took a walking tour called Flavors of Vallarta on which we experienced some of the quaintness, color and tastes of Puerto Vallarta. We’ve written a separate review on this tour.

From the “Welcome Home” we heard when we arrived and the glass of champagne, Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort and Spa was the best all inclusive resort we’ve ever experienced. Compared to other all-inclusive vacations, the staff here seemed to be carefully selected and trained to the highest standard of customer service we’ve ever experienced. Whether it’s a housekeeping person, a waiter on the beach, a server in one of the a la carte restaurants, or the front desk, they consistently ask how your vacation at Secrets has been so far and if there’s anything else they can do – all with a smile a good sense of humour and an “it’s our pleasure.” We highly recommend Secrets Vallarta Bay to other travellers. It was a high quality experience for us and excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the fifth floor.
8  Thank BramptonBeachbums
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was my first time at Secrets Vallarta resort. I've been to many other resorts and I must admit that this was absolutely the best of the best. Special thanks to Marcela Covarrubias from recervatios staff. She went out of her way to make sure that I feel at home. I will be there this June to enjoy one more time the excellent quality of this resort. My special thanks to Marcela
I look forward to see you again. From Houston, Texas.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lola H

Lola H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at Secrets Vallarta Bay with us through this venue. It pleases us to know that we succeeded in meeting your expectations and making you feel at home from beginning to end. Marcela is a wonderful asset to our resort and your recognition is much appreciated to serve as witness. We are very excited to be welcoming you back in June for an even more memorable stay.

Cordially,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was our first time at an all inclusive resort. We have done many cruises but must admit that this was as good as any of them. Staff at Secrets was absolutely fantastic and went out of the way to make sure that we were going to enjoy ourselves. Special mention should be made of the staff at the preferred location, especially Yoanna and our great bartender Isaisas. The meals we partook of were of excellent quality. Staff were always willing to assist you in any way that they could, and we're always quick with a "it's my pleasure". We attended this location with 2 of our sons and a wonderful daughter in law who made it much more enjoyable. They always looked after our needs and made sure we never lacked anything. We ate in all the establishments on site and enjoyed them all. It would be impossible for us to name all the excellent people around the poolsides who always kept a full glass beside your chair. This was a vacation to remember.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed 24 March 2014

No…. this is no mistake…. a sad face with 5* (!!!!)
Myself: 45yr old travel agent
I love AM Resorts, I've been to Secrets Maroma, StJames, Marquis Los Cabos, Zoetry Casa del Mar and Agua Punta Cana, I've sent numerous clients to Now Sapphire, Dreams Huatulco and Sunscape Curaçao. I think the AM brand is the best out there in terms of AI
Why the sad face then ??
This property is shared with Now Amber, being a Master Agent for AM Resorts I knew that, I therefore knew that I would have to go to the Now side to have dinner on a few nights and that did not bother me.
What ticked me, is that since there are no bracelets, adult guests from the Now side will come over to the Secrets side and use the facilities (i.e. lounge chairs by the pool, beach chair, bars…)
Mind you they can't have lunch or dinner, because upon checking in at the restaurants on the Secrets side you are asked for your room number, but no one around the pool or at the beach asks for room key or anything. The result ? Over crowding on the Secrets side…. not fun!
How did I know ? I asked!!! And guests would (very openly) say they were staying on the Now side (!!!!)
I even saw purple towels (Secrets side colour) hanging on the balconies on the Now side !!!.
I felt cheated…. I paid over 1000$ more than guests on the Now side, what's the point if I could just buy the Now side and hop over to Secrets without anybody saying anything ?
I was getting ready to try Secrets Royal Beach in PUJ, but it shares its property with Now Lamrimar….. too bad, I will not try it nor will I sell it.
On the plus side, it was my first time in the Preferred section and I truly think it was worth it. It's like having a hotel inside a hotel. Personalized concierge service, snack bar area ( which was great for those morning where we came back from golf and just wanted a quick bite) and the jacuzzi on the balcony was a big bonus.
I still love AM Resorts, and I will still sell them and visit them, but not in a set up where there is a shared property. I truly think this issue should be addressed by management….

Room Tip: if you get a swim out do not get it on the Preferred side as these are in the shade all day. The re...
8  Thank rouleaj

Ms. Rouleau,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share with our readers your recent experience. We are grateful for the 5 star review but in the same breath regret not having met your expectations.

TripAdvisor is an important tool in which travelers rely upon for accurate information to make an educated guess about their destination. I assure all of our guests staying in Secrets that their common areas are and will continue to remain exclusively there for their enjoyment.

Our mission is that our guests enjoy their stay to the fullest. Our staff does not hound guests but rather, we employ discreet tactics in which we identify this type of abuse. Once identified the guest is asked to leave. Should the abuse continue this guest will be charged a penalization fee.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cordially.