We were really looking forward to this holiday, had done a lot of research on here as well as other sites. After the first couple of days we decided that it wasn't what we expected and we wouldn't go back to this side of Mexico (we've been to Riviera Maya 3 times and loved each one). However, by the end of the 14 days when you're normally ready to go home, we found that we were quite relaxed and could go or stay. We also decided after getting into the heart of Mexico on the Uncover the South Excursion that actually, we probably would return and probably to this resort.
Once you accept that you won't get the best service from everybody at this hotel, that the food is just average (we have Karisma resorts to compare to) and that it is a small hotel in a slightly less desirable area, you'll have a great time!
Some staff that provided us with the service we have come to expect in Mexico where, Omar and Mauricio (pool waiters) and Alma in the Market Cafe. Jorge, our Thomson rep was also very attentive and will do anything in his power to help you in any way.
- Hotel and its grounds are excellent
- The room is very well appointed, great rain shower
- Unbelievable sunsets
- Overall very clean
- I did the kitchen tour and the facilities are spot on and very very clean
- Good entertainment staff
- Relaxing lobby area
- Really good quality alcohol
- The food is just average and doesn't really cater for vegetarians despite being promoted as a great place for food. The steaks were generally OK though, depending on the restaurant and cut
- It gets annoying when sitting on the room toilet when you can see paintbrush marks on the door frame and unfinished edges when the rest of the hotel is so well done
- You don't get the same pool service in different areas of sitting (sit at the front of the pool bar pool to get Omar and Mauricio)
- The pool bar staff are very slow and can be rude
- Had the same waiter twice in Market Cafe, both times he asked for our food order without taking a drinks order and both times I had to ask him what the specials were
- The lobby bar waitresses can be very slow, we waited over an hour some times and just got the drinks ourselves
- In the pool table room you can feel yourself losing weight because it's so hot, they need to add air conditioning
I've tried to make this review a little different to others on here and the reason for 4 stars is simply, this was the most we've paid for 14 days in Mexico, yet we've had better service, better grounds and far better food for less money on the Riviera Maya side.
Just message me if you have any questions, we ate in all the restaurants, drank at all the bars and took park in nearly all the activities.
On a parting note, Omar and a few others recommended a restaurant for us in Old Town Puerto Vallarta, Cafe de Olla, go there, its excellent! If you like Salsa dancing and a great time, there's a cuban bar in town, you'll not regret going.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Romantic. Refined. Remarkable. Located on the golden sand beaches of the Pacific coast within walking distance of the famous El Malecon boardwalk, this vibrant oceanfront resort provides adults 24/7 access to amazing nightlife, non-stop entertainment and Unlimited-Luxury(R). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.