“Awsome holiday”

GreenLeadersGold level
Beausejour, Canada
“Awsome holiday”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Went here for my son's wedding. Hotel was very clean, staff friendly. The pools and bar service were excellent, entertainment at night and things to do doing the day, pool aerobics, trivia contests, painting. Kids had a place to go for the day with staff that entertained them if needed. Beach was clean, but coarse sand, had fun anyway. The restaurants were some of the best meals we've had in a long time. Went golfing with the crocodiles..an experience that won't be forgotten and kids swam with the dolphins. Lots to do...or just sit by the pool and do zip. will be back !!

Room Tip: Ours was great, nice view, clean and comfy
2 Thank chinchilla1560

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Korean first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We visit Mexico every year and always all-inclusive and read so many reviews before I go so I am always well prepared.
We were 5 adults and a 2 year old, we had 2 ocean front rooms.

This year we decided on the Now Amber because of the great reviews, even though we are big fans of the RIU Palaces.

I won't repeat from other reviews, but will give some tips here:

There is a grass strip by the wedding gazebo with 12 loungers, where the breeze cools you off and plenty of shade to be had. Have to be there early, because it is pretty popular.

Loved that there is no towel card and plenty of towels. I also noticed security taking towels away when they just laid in the loungers with no other personal belongings, really liked that.

Amenities in the bathroom are great smelling and rather big bottles, the shampoo however has the conditioner in it and you will really need a conditioner by itself after all that sun and water.
Bathrooms are fairly dark, unless you decide to keep the sliding doors open.

Public bathrooms are very clean and they actually have the cloth towels there as well.

Fantastic gym and again a nice little perk...a cooler that has cold towels for you.

No need for bringing thermal mugs, they have big sturdy plastic glasses and they keep them filled, pool side service is incredible. There are 2 snack bars by the pools, the Barefoot Grill and a small portable buffet.

I have always enjoyed beach vendors, here not so much, they stand right in front of you and the parasols and the vendors take your ocean view away. Sounds petty, I know, but hey...my opinion.

Few fancy perks....incense in the bathroom and the toilet paper is scented! (Bet you will smell it when you get there)

There is a Now Amber app but since the WIFi is horrible we never got to use it. WiFi in the room comes and goes and is very weak, so the app was of no use. Which was really too bad, because that was one of the reasons why we picked this hotel. So we could stay in touch with each other at the pool, room etc. However...never really had a need for it.

Coco Cafe....my favorite thing of this hotel. It is your own little Starbucks but with MUCH BETTER produce. Every morning I had my freshly ground/brewed macchiato there. Carrot cake is to die for! Around 2 pm they bring sandwiches in and they are fantastic as well and they will grill them for you.
There are 2 computers in there for the guests with a printer.

When we arrived they tried to get us to sit in a meeting to get coupons, a firm no was all it took and we never got bothered again. I did notice a lot of people getting talked into a meeting.

Beds were very comfortable, remember they are not queen size beds. The couch in the room did the job for a bed for my daughter and she never complained about her sleep.

Mini bar has glass bottles, one night when we opened it the shelf came off and all bottles broke on the marble floor, made for a big mess and cuts in my daughters feet. Concierge sent somebody to clean it all up.

Lots of weddings at this place and although everyone behaved and had fun, the noise is overwhelming. Music stops right at 11 pm but you can't tell people to be quiet. The hotel is build in a half circle so all noise echoes, no way you can get away from that. Secrets hotel next door gets the noise as well.
We arrived on a Tuesday and the dynamics really changed after Friday when the hotel was full with wedding guests. Did we have turn down service before...after Friday it was a knock on the door and you were given a few chocolates.
Bathroom is fantastic but what were they thinking....a weigh scale in the bathroom? I just assume it was to weigh my suitcases before we left!

Food was good, not extravagant and frequently cold. One night there was a Seafood buffet..great if you like seafood which is not the case for our family. And that was the night they closed the steak restaurant. Hector, the maitre d' was nice enough to order us some special dishes, all you have to do is ask nicely!

They had a jelly fish infestation so couldn't put the ocean trampoline and climbing mountain out, but 2 days later the water was safe....or so they thought! My son and daughter were on the trampoline and noticed all the jelly fish! Couple of kayaks had to 'safe them'. We noticed one guest who got stung, throwing up and needed medication.

Entertainment during the day was fun, the evenings were in one word...AWFUL!
Only good show was the fireshow, but that was all of half an hour. Other shows were mostly at the Secrets side and not good at all. I read somewhere about a magicians show, but he must have done an early disappearing act because never saw him!
This was really disappointing because there is not much to do in the evening.
Disco had karaoke one night for less than an hour and there were 5 people. The disco was really weird, with little rooms on the side that you could close off with a curtain.

Would we go back? Yes, but not in wedding season!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank lamd98
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

When my husband and I entered the hotel, we noticed this amazing lobby with georgous view. For a moment, I what would be to stay there for ever to watch a sunset with a pinacolda in my hand. The views are amazing. The hotel rooms are great and food options are great as well. My favorite restaurant was French resurant at Secrets. Both hotels Amber now and Secrets are connected. After 6, if you do not have kids you can go there for dinner or explore other entertaiment options.
Staff is really good. Leonardo at the pool area consitently made sure that my glass wasn't empty. I felt so special like a VIP. Make sure to attend Yoga on the beach. It is amazing and much harder than you might expect as sand is moving under your hands and feet. The other bonus is that the city is very close. We took public transportation 60 cents one way. We will be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Monikita m
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My family recently enjoyed the Easter holiday at the Now Amber. My father had his 90th birthday on Easter Sunday and family members gathered from around Canada for this special occasion. Despite this being a very busy time at the Now Amber and in the town, the Now Amber staff were all consistently gracious and went out of their way to insure our welcome and comfort. The all inclusive model is great for a family reunion.
All the restaurant staff were great and I particularly recall the wide smile of Rosa, Juan's history lesson, Manuel's skill with the flaming coffee, Edmundo and David's efforts to make our last night at the Oceana special. My apologies to anyone whose name I now can't recall. Many thanks to you all. We all had a wonderful time and particularly my Dad who was so well honored.

Room Tip: The elevator is often busy. Try get a room on the lower floors so you can take the stairs.
3 Thank Jean F
Fort McMurray AB
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Look no further.. ice cream carts around the pool.. drink service around the pool. Excellent food. Amazing people. Now amber was a delight and you will be treated like royalty. Look no further. Just BOOK! Kids club is incredible. Book preferred club and if you can afford it, a swim out suite. There is nothing more awesome than your own private pool

Room Tip: All rooms are great and have an ocean view.
2 Thank SarahHiscock
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed April 19 - 26
Now Amber is gorgeous. The staff are very well trained. "Welcome home" is how we were greeted upon arrival. We were a party of 4. We all enjoyed the food and snacks that were everywhere. Second time at the resort for me, first time for everyone else. I may have found my happily ever after vacation spot.

Stayed in the Preferred Tower 1380 and 1379. The master suite was big enough for us all to hang out in, and the deck practically hung out over the water. A big thank you to Alicia for finding my sandals I had accidentally left poolside.

Much of our time was spent hanging out at the swim up bar. That's where the action was. The entertainment team are fabulous. Jesus deserves a big pat on the back. The waiters around the pools and beach are very hard working. Hard to remember everyones name, but, Mauricio and Jonathan come to mind.

Everyone had lots of fun all afternoon and right up until 6pm at the swim up bar. The bartenders do a fantastic job of making shots and fancy cocktails entertaining to watch. Jose has a great singing voice and was charming all week. Roman gave us a chemistry lesson on how to make and pour the perfect rainbow shots. Eloy was a mad scientist with shots and fancy drinks. He was a joy to watch and you can tell he really enjoys his job <3. They are a great team and I can't wait to vacation here again!

Room Tip: The hot tub on both decks were used frequently. The Master Suite had amazing views and was fun to ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nancy M
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

overall, very impressed with this resort. i'd say the best part is the lobby on 3rd floor overlooking pool and ocean - just gorgeous spot to watch the sunset and listen to great live music every night. i thought the service was overall very good. i tipped and the service is even better or more elevated if you do (but they do not ignore you if you don't tip). one thing i didn't like was that the beach area is not exactly private so there are ppl on the beach trying to sell things like hats, sunglasses, blankets, and hammocks. they are not pushy or aggressive but they get in the way of the view, haha!

aqua-cise, poolside dance lessons, and beach volleyball pretty much every day. there wasn't a single time i just laid on a chair for longer than 10 min because there was always something to do! some days they have kayaks and a floating trampoline in the ocean. other perks - free wifi and north america phone calls (although i was too busy having fun to call home), and 24 hr room service. the rooms themselves are beautiful and have balconies overlooking pool and ocean.

this resort is connected to secrets puerto vallarta however i was not impressed that the secrets side seemed to shun us when we walked onto "their side." some of the lobby staff informed us we are not allowed to sit in or walk through the secrets lobby as guests of now amber. i wish this was made more clear to us upon check in. you are more than welcome to dine in the restaurants on the secrets side (you just have to walk in through the side entrance). also, i think it would have been nice to spend one evening in the secrets lobby for a minor change in scenery but was really happy with the now amber lobby regardless.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms, the higher the floor the prettier the view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank joanne n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!