“Time Share or VIP Club”

GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Canada
“Time Share or VIP Club”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Let me start by saying, there are some great support staff, that work hard and care about what they do.
My wife and I went a week early to get some wedding preparations looked after and to relax before the 53 other friends and family showed up for our daughter’s wedding.
We managed to get out of the airport passed the time share sales unscathed, but it’s not easy.
We get to the 2 year old Now Amber and were greeted with a glass of champagne, a nice touch.
The bellman wanted to store our bags outside on the walkway while we check in and then would move them to our room, this trip we were traveling with several bags some with wedding items, our dive gear, and my camera suitcase that has about $10,000 worth of camera gear. My bags don’t leave my site, this was a struggle as they wanted to take control of the bags and I wouldn’t let them leave my site, I wasn’t about to explain why. I was asked if I didn’t trust them, I simply asked if the hotel would be liable for any looses’, should it occur, my bags stayed with me.
Then we moved into the very nice open lobby and were directed to sit at the “VIP Desk” took us a few minutes to figure out what this was and to get away from the not a time share salesman (it’s the hotels VIP club), sold and administered just like time share.
Check in was quick and very pleasant, and we were off to the room, great ocean view, room was clean, and the bell man did a great job, engaging us in the elevator and showing us the room.
We decided to go for a walk, and were once again hit up by the VIP desk, it became awkward to come and go as it was never ending hassles from the VIP club group.

The first full day, we were up and attempting to leave the hotel at 8:30am, the same guy approached us and asked to speak to us, I said no thanks, we have some where to be, he proceed to ask us where we were going, and followed us out of the hotel, telling us not to go, that it was a time share presentation, at this point I just said we’d talk to him later.
We returned about 6 hours later, and he asked if it was his turn, we kept walking and proceeded to our room, once inside the phone rang, it was another member of the VIP club, wanting to know if we went to a Time share presentation and if we purchased……I interrupted him and asked him one question, whether we did or did not, what business was it of his (yes I had a few other choice words)…..I hung up then proceeded to the front desk, where I asked the hotel to have the VIP club to leave us alone…..

Several days later, still feeling like we have to sneak in and out this hotel to avoid the VIP club, we had asked the hotel “if” they had an easel we could borrow to display a picture of the wedding couple and that we would be greeting the 53 guests and handing them a wedding gift bag. They had indicated it would be ready when we needed it. The first day of the guests arriving, the hotel couldn’t find the easel, we propped it up on a chair. Day two, they were now telling us we couldn’t display the picture as it was a wedding event and the actual wedding was being held elsewhere, and they couldn’t find the easel. It took a while but we were able to convince them of our purpose, a quick greeting, hand them a gift bag and say see you later….
Still no easel, then a lovely lady from the concierge’s desk, brought out the easel from a closet not 20’ away and politely asked me to just use it and return it to her and not to say anything to the hotel….

Seems they were not happy with just having a group of 55 guests, they wanted the wedding as well, the Hotel would have been a nice place for the wedding, my daughter had found Los Caletas, WOW that was a picture perfect place of a wedding…..

A few days after the wedding, we rented a car from Avis the on the resort location, we were out driving, when we returned to pick up another guest, the hotel wanted me to surrender the keys, while we waited for the guest to come down, as they were concerned we would leave the car there beyond the 30 mim, it was parked in the Avis parking area the furthest away from the lobby, and dispite me trying to tell them we were just waiting for another guest and would be leaving, they sent a total of three more bellman to convince me to surrender the keys.
General thoughts re this hotel…
The noise in the resort was a constant, there was always music playing, we could even hear it in our room, with all the doors closed, the lobby was very noisy and as a person with smoke allergies, the set up of having the seated smoking area, on the open end of the open lobby with the prevailing winds blowing it back into the rest of the seating area, it makes for an area that we couldn’t enjoy.

They shut down the pools and pool service way to early, although I did see a few people go for a swim later in the evening, I also saw them being asked to leave the pool, with a hot climate, it's nice for us to be able to go for a swim after the sun goes down, less burning...

The food was good, just really small portions, we had to order a couple of main dishes to get enough to eat, I will say most the restaurants were good about me requesting dishes without spices, again my pain in the A@$ allergies. Castaways was our favorite for both the food and the amazing view. The Mexican Feast on the beach was a great show.

The internet service within the resort, was a total hit and miss, and I found that having to have it on Airplane mode in order for the wi-fi to work, was a pain, as once you left the resort, I had to keep switching it on and off, and reconnecting was sometimes lengthily process, if it work at all.

Conclusion:
I will attribute some the problems we had to communication, ie with my lack of Spanish and their lack of English, but it was the attitude of the hotel management and the harassing VIP Club staff that brought us to the conclusion, we will never go back to this Now resort or any other Now / secret affiliated resort….

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank IronHorseRacing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Korean first
Vacaville, CA
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The greeting upon arrival was awesome, especially after traveling all day (May 6th through May 10th). Husband and I did the Preferred Club so we were escorted directly over by Cinthya (she also called the day before just to confirm our arrival time). She wanted us to have breakfast with her the following morning to show us about the other "Now" properties but we really were not interested as we only were staying for 4 nights and this little vacation was all about relaxing while celebrating our anniversary. I think she tried to call that next morning but we didn't answer..

I am going to do my best to list the good stuff first so I will start with the service. I can not begin to say how much we enjoyed the entire wait staff! They were off the charts awesome. Cesar at the buffet (Carnival) during breakfast was wonderful! Really they all were but he asked if I would mention him in Trip Advisor and then gave us a special farewell desert that wished us happy traveling home. The guys at the swim up bar were wonderful and one of them made me a totally cool special frozen drink with mango & strawberry or raspberry (I think his name was Jose) and he finished it off with a starburst from an orange slice. On another day we didn't even need to order a second round of cocktails while swimming around in one of the other pools, the waiter just brought them to us with a smile. Yes we did tip just about every time we asked for anything but these people work really hard in the heat and we felt good giving it. We specifically took a bunch of $1 & $5's for that reason along with making sure we tipped at ever restaurant we ate in.

Next I want to mention the room upon our arrival. First there was a "Happy Anniversary" banner across the door and when we opened the door there were rose pedals on the bed and a bubble bath with rose pedals in and around it just waiting for us. There was also a bottle of champagne on ice (the ice was nearly melted as our plane was late but hey, it was really nice that they went to that kind of trouble). On the daily paper with all the activities and the what's happening and when, they do a shout out for happy birthday's and anniversaries which was really nice. I loved the pringels (potato chips) and M&M's that were left daily. I had to ask for crème rinse but aside from that the bathroom amenities were nice and I loved that they even had sunscreen. I read about a pillow menu but never did see anything about that. The bed was very comfortable.

We only enjoyed 1 evening show and it started out a bit strange but we stayed and was glad we did. It was the Circus Rock.. The lead singer was incredible!! I thought it was a record until my husband pointed out that it was not. The guy was that good! We did not stay for 2 other evenings as they just weren't very good (maybe it got better but we didn't stick around to see).

The lounge in the Preferred Club was well stocked, they had Grey Goose, Belvedre, Crown, Patron, 12 yr Chivas, and Johnny Walker just to name a few that we can remember which made us happy. There were different waiters it seems like everyday but each one was super nice and friendly. The prices for the wine were crazy high and when they say you have resort credits that you can use on upgraded wine (that is what we figured we would use ours on), I will talk more about that though in the "not so good" section.....

Outside of the resort..

Healing Hands across the street was nice, especially for $25 per person so with a $5 tip we had a couples massage for $60 total!!! I went back again..

The Town..

Super clean and the street vendors were for the most pretty good. We ate lunch at PiPi's which was the best food the entire trip and we were so full that we decided to walk back to the resort, we found that totally doable..

The Not So Good..

THE NOISE WAS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!! We were on the second floor close to the pool with "swim out rooms" right below us. The wedding receptions and parties were so loud that even with the sliding door shut we couldn't sleep. There were weddings every day and on one day there was 4 of them. So that means receptions for each one which were held throughout the resort, which means you really couldn't go in certain places because of private parties then some proceeded to party until really late. If you are having a wedding or an event and are there with a bunch of other people this is a perfect resort for you but if you have a crazy work schedule and finally get to relax and do nothing but chill, this is not the place to do it!! We were so fed up and tired that we tried to contact our airline to get the next flight out and leave after just 2 nights but couldn't find one. Long story short, we were able to switch rooms 2 up and several down which made the noise less and we did for the most, enjoy our last 2 nights there. Let's be clear, we enjoy partaking in adult beverages and having a good time but 15 hours of loud music and people yelling is too much!

The resort credits and other resort notes..

This was a joke! Our $200 credits were given to us for pre-paying our all inclusive fees. What you really get are simply coupons to use toward purchasing things that are so over priced you are not saving anything but the worst part is you can only use parts of the coupon on each, such as only $10 off one bottle of wine some that were over $100 that you could get at the store for get for $30...

In the brochures, you will see hammocks facing the beach and we always seek them out however we did not find one on the Now side, only the Secrets side which of course you are not allowed to use.

Every room IS NOT an ocean view!!! I have no idea why some would say this but we could only see it from the first room if we stood all the way to the left of the balcony and looked over, not our idea of ocean view as many have stated in other reviews.

When we got home I had to wash all clothes at least twice because they smelled like mold, even the clothes we didn't wear..

The food...

The best we had at the resort was at Tamarindo's (Mexican food), they brought to each table a little cup of corn soup that was the best thing we had during our stay. I had the snapper which was delicious, and the appetizers were also good... I couldn't tell you the worse food but everything else was just ok.. We tried to go to Capers for our anniversary dinner and shortly after sitting down all you could hear was an award party going on. Now why would they do a big dinner party at what was supposed to be the best and most dressed up place there??? The hostess that seated us seen the look on our face and agreed that this was not a nice setting for an anniversary dinner and quickly offered to call the French restaurant and make sure that we have a nice experience for our special evening and she did, and it was very nice we just didn't enjoy the food as much as we had hoped. The beautiful anniversary desert they brought out was very special.

The grill that was set up during the week pool side was a better choice (in my opinion) for lunch.

The Beach...

Couldn't really tell you because the view was always hidden behind the vendors who where there from the crack of dawn until well after the sunset...

In closing I would like to say that we have already recommended this resort to friends who do like to party late but we will not be returning.

8 Thank KD_N_KD
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
KD_N_KD,

Our staff is always eager to read about the experiences had by our guests. We are very disappointed that our resort did not meet your expectations. We will attempt to be more vigilant, however we ask our guests to contact us so that we may provide you with assistance; such as explaining further the Resort Credits and how they are to be used. Now Amber offers only the best for our guests’ enjoyment at our Preferred Club. Unlimited-Luxury® is not just a phrase; it is a standard in which we hold ourselves to.

It is very satisfying to know that you were welcomed in accordance and that our staff was attentive to you throughout your anniversary celebration and that you gave yourself the joy of getting to know Puerto Vallarta. please when visiting massage parlors down the street please ask to confirm they are licensed. Your health and safety is very important to us which is why we only offer licensed masseuses to truly pamper you.

Our ample resort does indeed offers different suite categories and in fact not all of our suites are categorized as Ocean View. There are Swim Outs, Garden View, and the highly sought after Ocean Front Master Suite. Each providing a unique experience tailored just for its guest. Furthermore, it is of high concern to think the information you based your destination decision on was not. Should our guests wish to experience a different category than the one reserved, our staff will kindly provide you with the options available.

Thank you for recommending our resort to your friends, we certainly look forward to welcoming them in the near future and hope to have the honor of welcoming you back also.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We flew over to Mexico on the inaugural Thomson flight of the Dreamliner and were treated like celebrities when we arrived and it just kept on from there!
The Hotel is very well designed to create a lovely light and airy lobby overlooking the beach, even on the warmest evening there was a lovely cool breeze, we often sat enjoying the waitress service watching the sunset. The waitress service gets a bit slow at busy times but they do their best and were always friendly and helpful.
Our room was gorgeous; spotlessly clean, comfortable, huge bed, huge shower and loads of storage and space. Our Room was on the 2nd floor which just has the view across the centre of the beach the hotel sits on, if you want the best possible view go for the higher floors, every single room has a beach view though so don't pay for a sea view. We didn't chose the adults only Secrets section of the hotel and weren't disappointed, I can't comment on the difference in the rooms but many people came over to our side because secrets was too quiet, knowing you can book to eat in their hotel if you wish (they have a French restaurant,) We were glad we saved the money, it paid for our fantastic excursions via the First Choice rep.
The bars are all international spirits (Absolut vodka, Jack Daniels, Tanqueray gin etc) and the local beer is Corona or Pacifico (very similar to corona,) the service was always friendly and the waiter service by the pool was excellent, we left a few dollars here and there but were never made to feel like we had to.
The food was brilliant, The main buffet restaurant was similar to any other in an all inclusive hotel, some night were better than others but there was always a good selection and the food was all in covered servers and piping hot.
The other restaurants were great too, the italian was lovely (the steaks are huge) The seafood restaurant was really good, particularly if you fancy something a la carte at lunchtime (the onion rings are monsters but amazingly good!) but our favourite was the Japanese, the teppanyake table and the main restaurant were both fantastic.
I see on here that people have commented on the sellers on the beach, they really weren't a problem at all, you only have to say no thank you and they don't continue to hassle you, we actually found the guy in the hotel jewelry shop was way more pushy!
The only possible drawback to this hotel (and it really didn't ruin our holiday) was the large groups of Canadian and American wedding parties, sadly there was 2 or 3 weddings every day and the cycle of night before the wedding drinking sesh followed by part of the hotel being marked off for the wedding then the celebrations got a bit annoying at times, Quite often the pool was full of shouting Canadians (please don't be offended if you're a well behaved Canadian, there were plenty of them too!
There is a timeshare(ish) offer in the hotel of the Preferred club, they offer 200 dollars or there abouts to spend in the spa etc if you go and see their presentation, they tried their best a few times to try to get us to go but always accepted when we said no thanks (in fairness to them the offer is great for the Americans who can fly there cheaper, when we explained this to one of the sellers he seemed to agree and stop approaching the English guests!)

All in all a fantastic, friendly, clean, well appointed and beautiful hotel in a great location, we'd happily recommend it and will be looking out for other hotels in the Now chain.

Now... where next?!

Room Tip: Lower floors can hear some noise from larger weddings but only when the balcony doors are open, uppe...
10 Thank Lianonhertravels
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Lianonhertravels,

Welcoming guests from the inaugural Thomson flight was very exciting. It was an event the entire staff was very much looking forward to it and prepared endlessly.

We are glad to know that our service and facility met your expectations and it thrills us that you found Now Amber amazing independently from Secrets. It truly is a great place to enjoy your holidays. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Kamloops
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment you arrive you are given cool towels and a special drink. We had booked as Preferred so were escorted to the preferred side with instant check in. Preferred had a nice mini buffet and free internet which were nice perks.

The rooms are beautiful. My only negative comment about the rooms is that despite being a new hotel the rooms already smell extremely mouldy. You can see black mould up on the bathroom ceiling fan. Housekeeping was average - taken care of daily but certainly not thorough as the same mess that was behind the bathroom door when we arrived was there when we left - but hey, the cleaner doesn't close the door when cleaning!

Every employee was amazing. Great service and great attitudes.

The selection of restaurants and food was excellent. Our favorite was Castaways as it offered sunset views and scrumptious seafood. Try the most amazing Octopus stew! Room service is included and though limited is great for kids - fast and good service.

The pools and beach were very clean and felt safe; however, on our first night our family left the pool and went to the beach and all our belongings were taken. We reported it and over the next few days most items were "found" aside from the most expensive item - sunglasses. Beach vendors stay away from loungers but once you go past the fence you are fair game.

The activities are fun. The water was very murky and full of jelly fish so not much swimming but it didn't matter because the pools are so awesome - the one with the swim up bar was the best.

The Explorers Club for kids is AMAZING. Professional and organized. Our 3 and 5 year olds loved it. They also loved the waterslide. Make sure you bring your own floaters as the resort doesn't supply and the shops cost 2 - 3 times as much as Walmart!

The night club doesn't get going till well after 10 pm and was verrrrry dark and had strange "private" booths. Nice to have a live band though.

All in all we loved this resort. We had 4 adults, a 3, 5, 13 and 15 year old and there was something for everyone. We would return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kendra W
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Kendra W,

We thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with our readers and us. It is great to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We are sorry to hear that maid service was up to par. We sincerely ask our guest to contact the concierge desk should any of the mentioned in your review are happen so that we may right the situation that moment.

It satisfies us to know that you found our Explorers club an amazing place for our young guests to spend their time and that our accommodations were fitting for every member of the family. Indeed there is something for everyone at Now Amber. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The resort states tipping is all included. if you do not tip, expect some very bad service. The pool waiters all expect to get tip after every drink they serve you. I don't mind to tip but do not say it's all included, when they make you feel so pressured to tip them.

The very confusing part was that they tell you can use the secrets side for dinner and it states on their website that you can use all of the entertainment and facilities , we had dinner at one of the resturants there but you can not order a drink from the lobby bar on the secrets side.

The food was average nothing spectacular. The worst resturant was capers where the steak was super greasy . Every one seems friendly as long as up you tip them, We stayed in the perferred tower, it was pretty quiet for us., nice rooms .
It was an ok experience don't think I would repeat.

My recommendations forbid the tips to staff, clarify your sip savour program as we could not order even a drink from the secrets lobby bar, take out the time share and kick the vendors off the beach. We are on vacation and do not need these stresses.

3 Thank Ray T
Mauricio M, General Manager at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Ray T,

Thank you for your feedback. We always look forward to hearing how great of a time was had or if there are any areas of opportunity in which we can continue to grow. We regret that our gourmet options did not meet your expectations.
We assure you and our readers that tips are indeed included in your Unlimited-Luxury® and do not in any way condone our staff to pressure our guest. We regret that if at any time you felt less than welcomed. If at any time our guests feel inspired to give gratuity for going above and beyond they are most welcomed to do so but should never feel pressured. We kindly ask that you ask to speak to the manager on site at the reception or concierge desk and address the issue allowing us an opportunity to take proactive steps to provide you with a memorable stay.

We make great efforts to make all of the pertinent information about your stay available to our valued guests before their arrival through social media, travel agents, emails and of course our friendly staff. We also encourage guests to contact the resort with any questions or concerns prior to your arrival where we will do our best to provide you all the tools necessary to enjoy your time with us to the fullest. If you would be so inclined to provide a little more information about any of the mentioned we would be very much interested in hearing about it. We certainly hope to have the opportunity and the honor to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spent 9 days and the NOW and got married there on May 18th. We were originally booked at the Dreams (which shut down) and weren't too sure about the NOW but we're really glad we ended up there. The food was great, the quality of the liquor was pretty good (no single malt scotch unfortunately) and everyone there (working and visiting) were super friendly. The wedding coordinator Fatima took care of everything which was great. It was a pretty stress free wedding. Thank you so much to all the people at the NOW, I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: Preferred Club is probably worse than regular rooms. The preferred club has the jacuzzi on the balco...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sparkyman83
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I just came back from Now Amber and I got really mixed feelings about this hotel.The food was o.k.,fresh, but same every day. The room cleanness was o.k., however, when our housekeeper had a day off, they didn't clean at all. Hotel staff is really nice and friendly, the only thing that made me sick----they earn $5/day for working 10-12 hours. The noise level in this hotel is the worst.My room was on the 8 floor above the lobby bar, and even they cut off music, people still party like there is no tomorrow. The bar is crowded and loud and there is no other place. The beach was o'k--- it is swimmable-- if you know how to swim.Hotel grounds are fine,but nothing special. Overall , I 'm not trilled with this vacation and doubt that I will come back. Traveled with my mom and 4 years old son.
In reality the only good thing about this hotel that it is new, that is all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elinabel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,134 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,367 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!