“Customer service not quite up to par” 4 of 5 bubbles

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Barrie, Canada
“Customer service not quite up to par”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We started our holiday by going to this upscale hotel due to a family wedding at the hotel. Normally we would stay at our favorite,Plaza Pelicanos Grand, 2 doors away from the Now.
We had decided to stay at the upgraded Preferred section and the check in girl stayed for our late arrival, much appreciated! We found lacxk of communication with guestd to be a problem as we twice wanted to go to the French Restaurant located in another section of the hotel only to be told we needed a coupon to get in and the next day when we went back for the coupon were told they only have a limited amount each day!
The bar staff in the Now lobby were very slow providing drink service most times.
at the end of our week we were told by our airline that the flight would be delayed until 3.30am before departure so we immediately went to ask for a late room checkout that we understood would cost us $50 but were immediately told it was not available so being a bit handicapped I asked for a special room rate to tide us over and were informed the best rate available was &390 US.
Needless to say we will NOT nbe in a rush to go back to the Now Amber nor refer our friends there!

Room Tip: DO NOT spend the extra amount for the Preferred section as the regular rooms have eveything but the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Clarence M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Korean first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I don't know where to start, except to say this place is incredible!!
I would definitely rate this Hotel a 5 star.
I have never been to a place where the staff is this incredible, friendly and hard working.
We found the location to be really good,only a 10-15 minute drive from the airport, and a 10 minute taxi ride into town.
We stayed for 1 week. The first couple of days we were in the preferred club, which gave you a few extras in your room, like M&Ms, pringles chips and 3 little bottles of alcohol. Also a little buffet in the lobby and a computer/bar area on the second floor.
We then moved to a swimout room in the main building for the rest of our stay.
There wasn't any difference in the room in either building. The rooms were very nice and spacious with airconditioning that worked really well. Both rooms had a mini fridge that was stocked daily with pop, water, juice and coronas. As well as a coffee pot.
The restaurants all had good food. We ate mostly at the buffet, but tried out Castaways and Capers and the Barefoot Grill for lunch. You can use the restaurants on the Secrets side but we didn't bother. We did order room service for breakfast a couple of times and found the food was really good and when they said it would be delivered in 30 minutes, it came in 25 minutes. A nice place to go to is the coffee shop just behind the lobby. You could get good hot or cold coffees and pasteries all included in your stay.
The service in this hotel is really good especially around the pool. Fernando never let our drinks go empty. He even came over to our swimout pool and brought us whatever we wanted.
Everything is perfectly clean and lovely. The grounds are kept spotless.
We would return to this resort in a heartbeat and would highly recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms in the preffered club have a pool and ocean view if you look out to the right. The higher...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunscreen2
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Ever since I retired, I go on vacation with my family at least twice a year. I own a timeshare in Orlando and usually use RCI when I travel in the US however this year I decided to travel to Now Amber Resort and what a great experience! The resort is amazing, great food & hospitality but what impressed me the most is the fact that they offer a kids clubs at no additional charge, allowing my son and his wife to fully enjoy their vacation while my grandchildren were having an amazing time on their own! I was approached by Cynthia from the Unlimited Vacation Club who was very nice and we decided to go ahead and attend the club’s presentation. I agreed to sign up and become a member of their vacation club. Looking forward to booking my next vacation very soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Golfmein47
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Now Preferred Tower for 7 nights. My wife and I traveled with two 16 year old girls. We had an issue upon arrival that the rooms we requested were not available and we would be on different floors. However after voicing our concerns they moved another guest and we had two rooms side by side like we had asked. Every employee regardless of their job were very friendly and helpful. We had dinner at the Bordeaux restaurant at Secrets twice and loved it but all the food was very good. The girls ate at the Mexican restaurant three times they liked it so much. The entertainment was not up to the level we had experienced at other all inclusive resorts but there were so many other things that made up for it. The girls found it hard to find kids their own age and the Core Zone didn't seem like it offered much.
We took the advice of many other reviewers and had massages at Healing Hands which is right outside the gates to the left. All four of us went one time and my wife went back for a second massage. She probably would of went for three but ran out of time. We went to town shopping two times. The women had fun shopping for bargains. However the vendors on the beach sell junk and don't stand behind their products. We felt very safe every where we went. We would definitely go back. I would recommend going with Preferred as offers many nice perks and it is away from the noisy main lobby.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Terry F
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks in June. Food amazing and staff so helpful. Check in was a breeze and was amazed to be given a 12th floor room. Views were breath taking. Rooms lovely and clean and housekeeping was done before we arrived back in our room late afternoon times. Lobby bar was fab and waitress service excellent, never felt the need to tip but always did anyway as they all work so hard. Pool area was very clean and food stations dotted around if you didn't feel like heading to the indoor buffet. My favourite restaurant was the Italian and then the Mexican, but all were lovely.Cafe Coco was also fab and makes lovely sandwiches. Met some lovely fellow brits and some very loud americans/Canadians ! Beach is not Caribbean style but we knew this before we arrived . We still walked the beach every day. Weather was fab and some days it was too hot , but that's not a complaint . The only reason am not giving this hotel a 5 star is because for me there were far to many weddings going on at the same time, one weekend there must have been 4 large parties. Two parties were at least 50 in each and the noise in the lobby bar was ridiculous. We could still hear it all going on till 2am and we were on the 12th floor, so felt sorry for the people on the lower floors, but this did only happen 1 night out of our 14 night stay . Please AM Resorts maybe not have so many weddings at the same time and think about other paying guests as well. Would I return ??? Yes and would recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Higher rooms to avoid late night noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank durie
chingford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Firstly let me say thank you to Daniella for always greeting us with a smile at breakfast and ensuring there was always a table to accommodate all nine of us. Fernando for keeping us watered at the beach, Carlos our waiter at the French restaurant who's service was impeccable and all the other staff that made our holiday special.

Myself, husband and a group of 7 friends went to Mexico to celebrate as three of us just turned 50 and we were welcomed with a glass of champagne and a cold flannel on arrival. Check in was swift and we were shown to our rooms which were amazing, huge beds, Jacuzzi bath, double sinks and a shower that could probably accommodate 6 people. Most of the rooms are seaview only a handful of the swim up rooms are obscured by the plants.

The only issue we encountered was the fact that the Thomson Brochure states that the junior suite accommodates up to 3 people, we had 3 people sharing and refused to accept that a grown adult was expected to sleep on a roll out bed for 2 weeks. This was not mentioned in the brochure. After raising this with the management and our rep Jorge the hotel finally agreed to provide a full size bed, they were also placed in a room at the far end of the hotel which backed onto the neighbouring hotels generator. This was incredibly noisey (rm 1251) so avoid if possible.

The reception and bar area also has a great view with lots of sofas and wicker seating to have a drink and watch the sunset.

There are 3 pools and to be honest the busiest is the one with the bar, its like a great social event where all the grownups mingle and get to know one another over many a cocktail. There are no issues with towels as the are put out on every lounger first thing in the morning and clean ones left at various points to help yourself to another. There were times when it felt like there was some overcrowding but it didn't last and most of the Americans/Canadians only stayed for a few days. There were a few rowdy Canadians but at the end of the day you on holiday, let it go it doesn't last.

I have stayed at many a five star hotel and this one rates as one of the best, the reviewer who rated it a three must be very hard to please, or has'nt a clue what a lower grade hotel looks like. Our mini bar was always restocked daily but I suppose if you find the need to drink all the bottles of fizzy when you probably could have more than enough downstairs seems a little petty.

There was plenty of food to choose from to please all taste buds, you will not go hungry in fact you will probably need a detox when you get home.

There is a spa which we didn't use purely as it was incredibly expensive, but if you are a fan of a great massage I can suggest Majestic hands, just turn left outside of the hotel you can get up to 75mins for 20usd and they are great, we went 3 times.

All in all I have nothing to bad to say about the hotel it is worth every penny. The staff cannot do enough for you and are always polite and helpful. Book and go you wont be disappointed.

Nearly forgot, if you like seafood and want to go out and eat I recommend the Happy Lobster about a 10 minute cab ride, they serve the most wonderful lobster and crayfish.

Lastly, watch your luggage allowance at the airport on the way back as they will charge 27usd per kilo if you are overweight which they don't tell you until they take it all and they also don't take card payments so you will need cash. Just double check each individual suitcase as they like to round up the tally and rob you blind don't stand for it, funny how our cases went from 16kg over weight to just 6kg with a little rejig.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChingfordSpalover
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at Now Amber for 2 weeks in May and what an amazing holiday it was from start to finish.

On arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne and promptly checked in and shown to our room. We were given a room on the 9th floor. I did email prior to our arrival to ask for a high floor as I wanted to take advantage of the views so the 9th floor didn't disappoint. The rooms were a good size and with the open plan bathroom made it feel much larger. The bed was super comfortable and huge and the shower was powerful. The mini bar was always stocked up and the rooms cleaned daily with fresh towels along with a turn down service.

The staff at this hotel work so hard night and day and cannot do enough for you. They are genuinely happy to help and always have a smile on their face. Danielle who was one of the meet and greet staff at the restaurant even remembered our room number and was so nice. The bar staff around the pool are excellent at what they do and also provide great entertainment and thoroughly deserve a tip. The entertainment staff were also excellent and tried to get everyone involved but not in an annoying way. There was always something going on for all ages. I would've liked to have the music on constantly but I understand that they want to cater for everyone and not everyone enjoys loud music around the pool.

All the pools were clean and I regularly saw the pool guy testing the water. The grounds, gardens, bars, restaurants and rooms were constantly being cleaned.

The food at all of the restaurants was excellent. The buffet breakfast catered for everyone and I had something different everyday and even had English breakfast tea! We ate at all of the restaurants and I couldn't find fault in any of them. On a few occasions me and my boyfriend couldn't decide which main we wanted so we had a mixture of 2 and the portions were generous. I have never been to an all inclusive hotel and experienced food at such a high standard until I came here. Even the room service was included and we ordered on a few occasions and it was delicious and hot. We can't pick a favourite restaurant as they were all so good. The alcoholic drinks included were also of a high quality and we both enjoyed sampling all the different cocktails on offer!

Whilst staying here my boyfriend proposed and it was the little touches that made it so special. They included our announcement in the daily itinerary that gets delivered to your room each evening, the staff in the Italian restaurant wrote a congratulation message on my dessert plate and when we got back to our room we were greeted with a chilled bottle of bubbly. It's those nice touches that make staying here an absolute pleasure.

There were a lot of weddings going on throughout our stay but it didn't bother us and it didn't interrupt our stay at all.

I would come back here in a heartbeat and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to Puerto Vallerta. We didn't do any trips but there were plenty on offer.

Room Tip: Request a high room for the spectacular views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank D_Taps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,986 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,611 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!