“Had a ton of fun, love the resort”

Plaza Pelicanos Club Beach Resort
Ranked #44 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
West Kelowna, Canada
“Had a ton of fun, love the resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Me and my girlfriend recently stayed at the pelicanos beach resort for a week. We wanted a cheap holiday and this place met our needs. All of the staff were very friendly, in fact I didnt meet one that was very happy and helpful. Check in was great although we didnt get a very nice room with a view (our window faced a wall) at first but mid week we asked for an upgrade and recieved a room with a patio out looking a beautiful garden. There is two pools to enjoy, both with lounge chairs and a few lay down beds to get comfortable on. The hotel was kept very clean and seemed to have plenty of staff to direct any vacationers. The room came with a safe, that worked correctly, and I advise that you use it because my cell phone (that was broken anyways) mysteriously went missing mid week. Nothing else went missing other than that. The drinks were ever flowing and they had many varities of drinks to choose from. Any time I needed a drink one was quickly bought to me sometimes without me even asking. I personally did not like the food, it was the same stuff everyday, but honestly I have never enjoyed any mexican food at any resort. My girlfriend on the other hand seemed to enjoy the food so I think its all a matter of opinion. There was lots of events during the day if you like to do crafts, arobics, dancing lessons or whatever. The night life at the resort was pretty much non existant. They did have karoke a couple nights which I am not into and they also had cards another night in the one bar. We chose to leave the resort and explore the night life down town on the strip which was only a 5$ cab ride. There was pub crawls on several nights which means you can pay around $60 to get transported to 4 different pubs with all alchol included. The beach was right outside of the resort but be prepared to get bombarded by alot of mexicans trying to sell you scarfs, blankets, pipes, drugs, jetskis, jewerly, etc etc. The beach was not exactly a place you could get some peace and quiet. Anyways to sum up my opinion of the hotel I would say it is a good bargain (we only paid 855$can/ week), I would return to this resort despite the lack of night life, the phone going missing (it was my fault i didnt put it in the safe) and the crappy food. I think the good far out weighs the bad. Just go with low expecations and you will be plesantly surprised.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HelennRyan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Let's be Clear... The CLUB Pelicanos and the GRAND Pelicanos are two distinct resort separated a few blocs apart and not related in any way (other than management). This review is for the CLUB on March 2013.

The CLUB's Pelicanos accommodation are split in two section separated by a two 2min walk across the street. Let's call it ''The Main side'' is a set of four enclosed building comprising the Reception, Rooms, Buffet/Resto area, Pool w pool bar and Night Bar. The other section let's say ''The Sea Side'' is comprise of the NON SWIMMING Sea beach, Pool w bar, Entertainment Stage/show, BBQ, and buffet brought over on some nights.

PROS: Staff is top notch, drink are cold and tasty and brought to you, tips are appreciated but not expected, relatively limited variety at the buffet however tasty and clean... in line with the 3.5 stars rating, rooms are clean and beds comfortable,

CONS:
The CLUB's ''Main side'' is enclosed within three story high buildings with a pool at the center... zero view of PV, moutain or sea... it felt a little claustrophobic. It is EXTREMELY echo and noisy at night. Do not expect to sleep well if you have a room in the half closest to the reception/buffet area... we were in room 103... we solve the problem with earplugs! GOOD ONES!. The NON SWIMMING BEACH (which seems to be the case of several hotels in PV) was a bummer for us. My 10yo son's sandal were left outside on our terrace... gone the next morning... no big deal, we remained are happy to have provided another kid's with sandals! Be smart with your valuables.

Room Tip: Pool view farthest possible from Buffet area
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I travelled with friends and family and unfortunately midway through the trip my iPhone 5 was stolen, I went to get breakfast and lay by the pool and came back and my phone was gone. Total bull. The resort staff did diddly crap to help me find it. And as another reviewer above stated, very defensive. the food here; same every day, breakfast was good. Won't stay there again, paying 3.50$ an hour for wi-fi is just crap. Drink service staff were awesome and very thorough, but do not reccomend staying there nor will I ever again.
Travelled Feb 23- Mar. 2

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a safe in it. No exceptions. Always lock up, all times of the day.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

my girlfriend and i have just return from this hotel 24th-4th the place is very clean but old and dated. We had a ground level suite-Thank God cause then we had a patio, 2nd and 3rd level suites get no balconels. The pools are nice(two) both with swim up bars..drinks are good the food sucked! Breakfast was the only meal i ate everyday, Lunch was the same hamburgers and hotdogs with frys.and dinner was limited, Be ready to eat out. Small beach but staff and location do help to make this place just o.k..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Would not travel here again! This review comes late as I travelled there in February 2009 for business, so that being said maybe its better now. But when I was there the food was horrible, rooms were terrible, staff was nice, pool was nice, location..... Was busy and we had to walk to a beach that was very busy and dirty. Nice to be down town in the aspect that we could walk everywhere! However I wouldn't stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Nelson, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Love the staff! Great servers , kept bringing you drinks poolside. Food was alright. Wish there were more young people and a club in the resort. Good for what you pay for and not too far of a walk from downtown . Be prepared to spend money on bottled water tho

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank k3k10
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed at Plaza Pelicanos Club Beach Resort from February 18-25. I came here with my family and had a great time. The Japanese a la carte restaurant was amazing and the Italian one was alright. The buffet wasn't the greatest but for a week it was fine. The drinks were awesome and the service was amazing. Everyone working at the resort was extremely friendly. I am in university and I like to go out at night and the resort had amazing deals for clubs located in downtown PV(350 pesos for taxi, cover and open bar). For me personally the main reason I had a good time was because of all the people I met and the good times I had with them. This resort is probably no where near the top of the list for nicest resorts in PV but if you go into the trip with an open mind you should have the time of your life, well at least I did.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family