“Perfect Getaway for Vallarta Residents”
Review of Casa Iguana Hotel

Casa Iguana Hotel
Ranked #87 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
PV
“Perfect Getaway for Vallarta Residents”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We spent 3 nights here over New Year's Eve as we are not big fans of the noisy drunken parties that go on here in Old Town. The weather was awful, rain at least part of the day every day. Not to worry, we had fun anyway. We went to the Vallarta Zoo and for anyone who has never been, it's a great zoo. $100 MX and get ready for some climbing. It's a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The beach restaurants next to the Hotel Barcelo are 5 minutes away. Swim, relax or take a boat to whatever and wherever. We sampled 3 great little restaurants less than 10 minutes walk away. Beautiful pool, wifi was a little sketchy and the restaurant was turning the corner from good to very good. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: No elevators so we asked for the ground floor. Upper rooms would have a killer view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Walter S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Orange, California, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was me and my Mom's first time staying in Puerto Vallarta. We had a wonderful time!!! I found this place on the internet and booked an 8 night stay for less than $60 per night. It's a clean, small hotel with Mexican themed rooms in a jungle setting- think clay tile floors, colorful tiles, white washed walls, colorful plaid bedspreads and chunky wood furniture with iron hardware. They also had a very amusing resident kitty named Natasha, a resident military macaw and a turtle pond. I was pleasantly surprised to find that each unit has 2 bedrooms - one with a queen sized bed and the other with 2 twin beds so that my mother and I could sleep in separate rooms. There was a separate living area with a sofa, coffee table and tv with cable. The kitchenette was really handy with a 2 burner electric stove and small refrigerator that actually fits a lot of stuff. All cooking equipment, dishes and utensils were provided. The water was potable but i boiled it just in case. We saved a lot of money by cooking our own meals. We purchased freshly caught fish in Boca de Tomatlan and at the Malecon, bought meats from Carne Mart near the bus drop-off in downtown and purchased ingredients from the local mercado in Mismaloya. I enjoyed staying in the South part of PV away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown area and the commercialism of the Northern Hotel Zone. I'm not much of a hotel resort person and prefer a more authentic vacation experience where I get to interact with the local people. This hotel is located close to many small villages where actual Puerto Vallartans live. We met so many friendly, local peoples. If you stay at Casa Iguana, check out El Eden - you can catch a taxi to it across the street. Take the bus across the street to the Botanical Gardens and Boca de Tomatlan where you can take a boat to the southern beaches of Playa Las Animas and Yelapa. There were many more places I wanted to check out but we ran out of time. We will return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Marie G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Staying in a house near this cute hotel. Decided to stop in for their 2x1 happy hour today. We were the ONLY people in the bar (it's off season) and we were served by one guy~~that guy left~~and a very nice guy named Martin served us our second beer. We chatted with him and he was very nice. When we asked for the bill he had to go to the front desk to get it and when he came back the price was 10 pesos more per beer than listed on the menu. Now, I get it, it's 30 pesos but the point is they thought they could charge us a different price because we were gringos.

When I asked Martin why it was 40 pesos per drink instead of the 30 pesos on the menu he went back and asked came back and told us that we were served 'cans' of beer instead of 'bottles' of beer and that was the reason for the increase in price. I don't know what turnip truck they think we fell off of....but everywhere in the world a bottle of beer is more than a can of beer. And, besides, we were never offered anything but the cans.

I have to say we enjoyed the place, the hang and even chatting with Martin....but I don't appreciate someone trying to get their bus fare home on my expense.

I told Martin that I knew they were screwing us~~but also told him I knew it wasn't him. I gave Martin a 50 peso tip (on a 120 peso bill) and told him I would ONLY leave a tip if HE was going to get to keep it. If he was going to have to share it with anyone that was screwing us then I wouldn't leave a tip. I told him to tell his bosses that we knew what was up.......

How do they know that the next time I am in PV that I wouldn't have stayed there or dined in their restaurant or bar? Now they know for sure that I will not. I hope they enjoyed the 30 extra pesos they got tonight.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank wayne c
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I found this place on the internet. It looked good and it was good. I stayed two weeks and hope to go back. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Every day the staff is out cleaning the pools, picking up trash, sweeping up tree-fallen objects, etc. The on property store has many choices. The river is across the cobblestone street. The beach is a pleasant 5 minute walk. They have their own turtle farm. Bus and taxi easy. Horses across the street. Three species of frogs roam the property. You really are inside the rain forest (jungle). Jose (office) helps with knowledge of area and tours. Mari Cruz kept my room pleasant. Miguel was always fun to talk to in the restaurant. South of PV.

Room Tip: Almost every room has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RJOHNCJR
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at Casa Iguana during the Vallarta Bird Festival, & it was a comfortable base from which to explore all the activities on the south side of Banderas Bay - the zoo, botanical gardens, diving at Los Arcos, travelling by boat to Yelapa. Also a short bus ride in to Puerto Vallarta. The suites are comfortable, but the kitchen area is a bit small & there are not a lot of options nearby for buying food - just a few convenience stores within walking distance - i guess you'd want to load up groceries in town for a long stay. The restaurant had excellent tequila shrimp. I did not try out the pools.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Brenda M
Minnesota
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

Casa Iguana Hotel is located in a lush green jungly setting in Mismaloya, on the road leading to the Puerto Vallarta Zoo & El Eden. Rooms are simple, all 2 bedroom suites, included a kitchenette with small fridge, 2 burner stovetop, dishes, living room with sofa. One bedroom has full size bed, the other bedroom 2 twin beds. The place was always spotlessly clean. The maid frequently left fresh flowers in my room. The grounds are lovely. The pool was cold, but long enough to swim laps. Restaurant very good, and there are other economical restaurants nearby (nearby walk). Very quiet -- except when the local ladies were doing their zumba class on the basketball court next door! (They invited me to join them.) Staff SUPER nice. Free (spotty) wifi. Shower had plenty of hot water in the evenings, however not so much in the mid-mornings. You can catch the bus into PV for 7 pesos. Walk across the road to get to the beach next to the Barcelo Hotel. Good birdwatching in the vegetation of the hotel & also along the river across the street.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank snowy_and_sunny
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were at the Casa Iguana for a week in February. This was our second visit there - the first being several years ago. Things had certainly changed. The last time the place was bustling - with busy poolside, bar and restaurant activity and a nice comraderie among guests. This year we had the place to ourselves. It felt like we were 'between seasons'. The place is under new management and as such, there were some glitches... hot tub not always hot, restaurant and bar not fully stocked or attended. HOWEVER, that being said.... we really enjoy this 'off the beaten path' resort . The staff is so nice... they go out of their way to accommodate and be helpful. The grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. We had a good breakfast everyday - cooked to order. The bus ride to town or to the Botanical Gardens is easy. The town of Mismaloya is quiet - but with a couple of good restaurants: El Patio and Tony's. The surroundings are lush - with interesting bird watching and flower viewing. The walk to the beach is less than five minutes - though we didn't swim there as the water was cold during the time we were there. Puerto Vallarta - though a great town - was madness during these late days of winter. We were happy to return 'home' to Casa Iguana after a busy day of touring or shopping. If we get back to PV, we'll return to the Casa Iguana for the restfulness and friendliness it affords.

Room Tip: We prefer one of the top floors and the end away from the office. There are not elevators so a lowe...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends