“Seaside Bliss” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ocean Grill Restaurant & Beach Club
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Mexican, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in a pristine, white sandy beach cove Ocean Grill is a great option for those who want to spend the whole day away from the crowds. Ocean Grill is not just a great restaurant, it is a destination on it's own. In order to serve you as you deserve, please reserve your spot in advance. For reservations and important information please visit our website.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seaside Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

What an amazing location and fantastic food. Quick pick up service from Boca, great swimming spot and the staff were very nice.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Skynomad69, Owner at Ocean Grill Restaurant & Beach Club, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Hello Andrew, Thanks so much for your kind review! I enjoyed having you guys and i hope to see you soon.

Take care!

Alfonso

“location location location! but that's it I'm afraid!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

amazing spot but the food drink desserts were completely average. realllllllllly overrated cuisine I'm afraid. met another couple at the airport of all places who felt exactly the same! staff owner and dog verrrrrry courteous but uh, if you're looking for an exceptional meal... this isn't it. however, if you're looking for a great experience this is it. ;)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brat711
Skynomad69, Owner at Ocean Grill Restaurant & Beach Club, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Hello Brat, Thanks for your review and I am sorry our menu wasn't of your liking but I am happy that you enjoyed the experience. :)

Thanks again!

Denver, CO
“Best Birthday Ever! Seriously, It is that good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Wow, one of the best culinary experiences of my life. Everything from the trip to get there, the atmosphere, the views, the attentive staff, the bathroom (yes, the bathroom is the really cool too), Alfonso the friendly owner and of course the food made this the best birthday meal ever.

As you know, you have to get to the Boca de Tomatlan and then take a water taxi there. Here are my tips on getting there:
- Rent a car instead of a taxi. The cost of a car would be the same as a round trip taxi ride. We also used the car the next day to visit other beaches. Or you can take the bus.
- Call or email ahead and the FREE water taxi will be waiting for you.
- Bring towels and beach stuff. The small beach cove where the restaurant is was OK but the beach at Boca de Tomatlan is really nice. Plan on spending a few hours at the beach before or after your meal.

We did email them earlier and received very prompt responses. The water taxi was waiting there and we took a scenic five minute ride to the restaurant. We spent maybe 30 minutes at the small beach cove but we were hungry and real excited about checking out the food. We were greeted promptly and got a great table with an awesome view (you will see plenty of fish in the water below). The guacamole was very good and the margaritas were extremely good (no pre-made super sweet mix here).

The meals were off the charts good. Presentation was amazing and flavors were superb. The shrimp were large and tasty and the plantains made a fine accent to the shrimp. The best meal was my son's octopus. Not squishy or overcooked. The olive tempenade style sauce was to die for. My daughter's ribs were fall off the bone and very good from what I hear (she ate 'em too fast for me to try 'em).

Alfonso came by to check on us and when he realized it was my birthday he offered me a free dessert. I had the key lime pie and it was the best I ever had. Better than anything I ever had in Key West or better than the homemade ones I make myself. It was thick and creamy and not too tart and did not have the fake lime flavor of some pies.

Overall it was one of the best meals I have ever had and I highly recommend this place. It was an experience (not just a meal) that I will never forget.

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank JeepmanSV
Skynomad69, Owner at Ocean Grill Restaurant & Beach Club, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Hello guys! I guess you are back in Denver? Well I am looking forward to your next PV visit and hope to see you in our place again. Thanks you so much for your nice review! And say hello to the kids for me :)

Take care

Great Neck, NY
“Wow WOW & WOW!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I’ll start like all others about the trip to get to the restaurant – I’m 57 years old with a knee issue – I was fine until it came time to get out of the panga at the restaurant but it wasn’t too bad with help from my husband, the panga man & someone from the restaurant (& I am not a huge person by any means) – we were the first people to arrive & right off I needed to use the restroom – 2 flights of stairs, one of which did not have a railing – the trip up, not so bad, but the trip down was a little off-putting – so steep – thank god I hadn’t started in having a tequila as yet – LOL! Told my husband that if I needed to use the facilities again, I was just going to go to the little shower that is right below, next to the restaurant – again LOL but I really wasn’t kidding!! We decided for the trip back after lunch, we would walk the little trail from the restaurant to the beach & have the panga pick us up there, as I don’t have problems getting into & out of pangas from the beach – will return to this later -

All I can say is WOW, WOW and WOW about the food!!! The best guac I’ve ever had in my life!! I ordered their now-famous grilled octopus – as others before have said, the BEST octopus ever! Hard to describe – it had a delicate crunchiness to some parts & there was a sauce on it that contained calamata olives, but it did not seem like a sauce added on top after the cooking but rather sort of cooked into the octopus – amazing!! And the roasted potatoes & veggies that came with the octopus were some of the BEST potatoes I’ve ever had as well – and I am a HUGE lover of my potatoes!! My husband had the fish of the day that I believe was mahi mahi & he loved it! The staff was so very nice & Alfonso, the owner, so congenial – we had a discussion about the summer season – he explained how he was putting in some sort of other low dock to make it easier for patrons to get into & out of the panga – I suggested maybe some mist fans for the sweltering August & Sept heat – he seems like a man who wants to please his customers very much – not just with the great food but with the entire experience of his place.

Now for the return trip – after Alfonso gave us a dessert to take home & they had wrapped up our leftovers for my midnight snack (LOL), we headed to the beach for our panga pick up – the beach had looked so very close when we were sitting in the restaurant but walking the trail seemed like the longest walk I ever took in my life! Again, parts of it that I could have used a hand railing had none – thank god I didn’t have that extra tequila before we got on the trail – I felt a huge wave of relief getting to the beach where the panga was waiting. Next time, will go straight to the panga at Ocean Grill’s dock –

And YES – there will definitely be a next time for this old broad!! The food was just way too good & the experience too delightful to miss out on – thank you Alfonso & staff for the best lunch we EVER had in PV!!

PS – I ate the leftovers cold, along with the dessert Alfonso had thrown in & it was all still amazing food!!! In my book, if the cold leftovers are outstanding then it’s a dish done well – and so it is with Ocean Grill -

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank lopo123
Hello guys, thanks so much for your kind review! You are not 57 years old... you are 57 years YOUNG! I am very happy that you had a good experience with us and looking forward to your next visit. Also very glad that you enjoyed your cold left overs :)

Thanks again!

Alfonso.
Brentwood, California, United States
“Mediocre experience turned terrible by owner's attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Ocean Grill
In short: They gave away our seat despite reservation and our showing up on time, made us wait hungry for 30 min to get a table, screwed up all orders, little vegetarian choices, owner was down right rude!
- Waited with no attention for several minutes, while being stared at by one of the waitresses several times
- Finally got attention and told of our reservation and was led to owner, who knew of reservation and said they had our table, but gave it to a walk-in who had not left yet
- We returned 10 minutes later with no table in sight
- We went off again for another 5 minutes, then the table by the water had been taken by another couple
- Had to sit next to bar, totally obstructed view, had to see past numerous other people and stare awkwardly toward their table to see any view.
- Our first appetizer arrived over an hour after our reservation time.
- Service was by two friendly waitresses, who clearly did not communicate with each other, as everything had to be repeated multiple times.
- Practically every order had an error or problem—forgotten sauces, wrong sauce, missing/forgotten drink orders, missing/forgotten side dishes, forgotten items brought too late to enjoy with the meal
- Food was very limited for vegetarians. Grilled veggies were fine, but it was a singular and boring dish with little taste, interest or nutritional value. Sauces (once we got them) were mediocre at best. One seemed to be entirely composed of melted butter and mild Cajun style seasoning.
- Desserts were worse quality than at an elementary school bake sale. Seriously.
- We were trying to make the best of it, and after 2 beers each, were cheerful and resigned that this place was overrated and that was the end of it.
- We did not make any complaints after we were seated, however, our displeasure at the very late and bad seating arrangement was obvious from the start. The owner came over with some attitude.
- He told us I heard you didn’t like the food. We tried to explain what had happened and told him we feel better now after some food (and alcohol).
- Owner didn’t care about anything we had to say and responded that if you didn’t like it, you don’t have to pay.
- A that point he left and the wait staff began to avoid us as if we were leopards. They thought they were not getting any tips and why bother please us anymore. It was weird: waiters who intentionally ignore you. After 5 minutes trying to get the attention of the wait staff, I had to get up and ask them if they could get the boat for us to leave. Waitress responds she wasn’t sure they could get the complimentary boat ride back to the pier for us!!!! Were we stuck there?
- They finally got back to us that owner had ok’d with the ride back. We tipped the inept waitresses generously and decided not pay for the food as the owner had made us feel like dirt.
- We had hauled al kinds of bathing suits and beach towels as we had read here that we could make it into a day trip to the beach. Having to wait around with all that stuff and going back and forth was not fun especially since they proved to be useless here. The beach here is nothing to write home about. It is small, has engine oil foaming on the water, big boats carrying 30-40 tourists show up and it was really not a cool place to enjoy a beach experience. We’d take Punta Negra any day.

• Visited April 2012