“Great Escape to Paradise”

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #26 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Dublin, Ohio
“Great Escape to Paradise”
Reviewed 31 May 2005

Just returned yesterday from 6 days and 5 nights at the Mayan Palace in NV. My husband and I were sad to leave. The place is just beautiful inside and out. The customer service was excellent. The place was spotless, shining and romantic. I don't recommend taking small children if you want peace and quiet. This was our first trip alone (without 4 teenagers) and we were in heaven. I don't understand why somebody would want to come here and push a stroller (been there and done that). The grounds and scenery were breathtaking. The service on the beach and bars was excellent. The timeshare people DO take no for an answer if you politely tell them that you are not interested. We already have a timeshare so it was not an issue. The hotel arranged for transportation from the airport to the hotel at our landing at 1330. They were waiting for us with a sign, drove us to the hotel and we got checked in right away at about 1400. There were no lines, or waiting.

The restaurants were fabulous with views of the ocean, flowers, music and peace. We felt like we were in paradise. We took the bus (3 of them to the downtown area) That was OK, but quickly returned to the resort for more quiet time. WORD OF ADVICE, TAKE A CAB DOWNTOWN AND BACK IT'S ONLY ABOUT $15.00 EACH WAY AND WORTH NOT TAKING THE BUS!

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS PLACE, IT WAS SO NICE WE DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE.
Even the people were beautifully manicured. All wore white, and I mean bright white clothes, with perfect hair, smiles and customer service. We enjoyed it so much we did not visit the Sea Garden part of the resort.
The Grand Mayan was Ok, it is busier at that part of the resort. I heard the rooms are a bit nicer, but Mayan's rooms were just fine. No carpeting in the rooms though, bring socks to keep feet warm at night! The beach at Mayan was more peaceful than at the Grand Mayan. The pool looked cleaner at the Mayan and more manicured.
We recommend staying at the Mayan Palace in NV anytime over the Grand Mayan (still under partial construction). I will go back anytime with my husband. I don't think teenagers would find much to do, and we would not want them going downtown alone. Leave them home if you can, and because it's a paradise in itself alone, you really don't want to push a stroller either. We have gone to several timeshares and have never seen such a beautiful place! Going back soon.

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank Sandyk9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2005

Just came back from NVR/PVR Sunday and had a wonderful time. The Grand Mayan was stunning and beautiful. We had an Ocean view which was perfect for sunsets. The room was so nice. Originally the room we had, had a problem with the shower but the moved us right away. We also did not get bothered by the timesahre people either. The maids came everyday and cleaned. It's great for kids too. Our 11 month old had a ball in the pool and ocean. The food was great, especially the fusion restaurant (Med/Asian/Mexican) we tried everything on the menu!! Right out side the gates is also a great restaurant Lalaguna (Tino's) best seafod in PVR. You won't regret a stay here.

• Stayed April 2005
18 Thank sunrisecarib
Reviewed 20 April 2005

Upon arrival we were amazed by the beautiful surroundings. Stunning beautiful golf course, well designed buildings, and the amazing natural beauty surrounding Vallarta. We had stayed at the Mayan Palace before, and had a great experience. This is the new "upgraded" wing, which they name "The Grand Mayan". The lobby entrance was stunning, the minimalistic decoration exquisite. However, our nightmare began upon checking in. Two days before I had called the hotel to confirm my reservation. Well, it seems that the reservations agent instead of clicking "Confirmation" on her screen, clicked "Cancellation". I guess that she noticed her mistake, because she then wrote a note stating that it should not have been cancelled. Too bad for me and my family, because we had to wait for 1 and a half hour for this to be solved. We asked a room with a nice view. I guess I was not clear enough, because they gave me a great view of the garage on the 1st floor (not pool view... much less ocean view). The room looked great, but... the bathtub sink did not work, so we usually had a pool underneath our bed. The air conditioning never worked. We called the front desk and they sent us some "technicians"... they were very kind and all but had no idea about plumbing... much less of air conditioning.

We were constantly harrassed by time-share vendors. Believe me they will never take a "No" for an answer. They also have Americans working there and most of them seem to be in a big need to sell... they are rude as they come.

One of those days I ordered room service, it took them only 2 hours to bring me my food. And the waiter charged his tip at a 20% twice, telling me that the tip in the bill was not his but the chef's. Since at that point I was fearing that he would spit on my food. I payed this guy his tip too.

They say that their hotel is rated as a 5 stars. Believe me, the only 5 star about this hotel is the furniture, the architecture, and the surroundings. The rest resembles a lot to a Motel 6 service (no offense).

Puerto Vallarta is a paradise, if you go stay away of this "Grand Experience".

Stayed April 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 April 2005

Don't worry- but do follow the advice from these reviewers. I bought my rooms off skyauction. We arrived late(11:15pm). I paid for a one bedroom suite and a hotel room via separate auctions. I e-mailed ahead to request that they be close to each other or connected. Again when we arrived we asked for them to be connected, and to be in the main building. We were very happy with the results. We didn't get the ocean view- instead it was looking out at the marina across the street- but that was nice too. The balcony was plenty large and had chairs on it. Our adult children arrived 2 days later and were very excited and happy with our connected rooms. The pools were nice- and plenty of chairs. We ate the breakfast buffet a few times- it was great. You can buy meal tickets for about 10.80 each. Otherwise we ate at the pool. Med expensive- but very good food in large portions. There is a small store across the street for cereal, milk , corona, etc. The marina had nice restraunts and shops. The security was friendly and aware. We asked to have the wristbands put on loosely so they could be slipped on and off. The beach was nice- and there was beach volleyball going on. The families there were nice- and kids well behaved. The whole place quiets down at night so you can get a restful sleep- but there is entertainment on the veranda and in the bar. We said no to the free breakfast and timeshare- and never heard from them again. I noticed alittle musty smell- but have noticed that in many ocean resorts around the world. Its' a tropical climate. Have fun!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
White Rock
Reviewed 6 April 2005

I purchased my 7 nights on Sky Auction for $235CDN. Dreaded going because of the reviews. My first confirmation letter from skyauction had RCI on it and I panicked. This was last October. Before I left to go to PV, I printed out another confirmation and the RCI had been removed from the papers and the towers (places in the hotel) had been specified on the confirmation. I arrived at 7:00 pm, was greeted wonderfully, given an ocean view room in the main building and walked over to the desk for my wrist band. The lady was very pleasant, spent about 5 minutes talking to me, asked me if I wanted to go to the breakfast and review the time share offerings, I said no, and she said, OK, if you change your mind just come to the desk anytime during your stay. That was it, was never bothered again by any time share people. I did get to know the guy at the front desk and he said that all RCI get placed in the Sea Garden across the street. It is being torn down in May. It is pretty ugly. Kind of like a Motel 6 but the grounds are terrible. I assume tho, if you are placed there, you are allowed to use all the facilities across the street. My stay was wonderful, what can I say. Perhaps because I arrived late, checked in with my cheapy credit card with a $500 limit (dont use your big limit one) and the fact I was solo may have played a part - not sure, but I loved it. Taxi from the airport to the Marina Zone is only 40 pesos so dont let anyone tell you different!!!

23 Thank jaxie1212
Lake Orion, MI
Reviewed 6 April 2005

Not bad, not bad...

I knew after reading all the reviews that I would never be granted the one bedroom suite we reserved in the "real" Mayan Palace during Easter vacation. But what the heck, I tried anyway. After 30 minutes of begging, I was finally offered a regular hotel room (no kitchen or king size bed) in the Mayan, and was given two keys to compare the suite in the Sea Garden and the hotel room in the Mayan tower. Well, there was no comparison, we took the Sea Garden. It was very large, clean and quite comfortable. Yes, the bathroom was dark and pretty tiny, but the living area and bedroom were huge! This suite had a nice compact kitchen and the living area was bright and sunny. Granted we had a not so nice view of the old water park and a tiny balcony not big enough to even put a chair on, but the suite was actually pretty nice. Not too musty at all, but the bathroom needed some Tilex. The bed was fairly comfortable, not too hard. The maid service was good (Anita) and she loved to decorate our room with towel animals and paper flowers and we tipped her average. . . a couple dollars every other day. But the front desk people need some customer service lessons. We avoided the Timeshare people by having them put that stupid "security" bracelet on our key ring instead of our wrist. This helped keep the TS salespeople at bay, but they are everywhere! Even in town... so beware.

Overall the grounds were very nice and extremely clean. There was never any trouble finding a chair at the pool and the all around atmosphere at the resort was good. I never tried any of the restaurants, as we preferred to take a cheap bus to town most nights. The beach here is pretty bad. If you like to swim in the ocean, stay somewhere else. And if you like to dine out, have cocktails and adventure around town most nights, stay closer to PV. But if you just want to relax and hang out in the sun, it's a good place for families with young kids.

21 Thank cserveklm
Reviewed 22 March 2005

My husband, my girlfried and I travelled from the Mayan in NV to the Mayan marina in PV for our second week of holidays. I had reviewed the Mayan in PV on TripAdvisor and TUG and was aware of the dreaded SEA GARDEN, which I might add has now been changed to just Mayan Palace, so that when you object to being sent across the street and your reservation says Mayan Palace they can tell you that it is the Mayan Palace, stick to your ground and refuse to be placed in that dump. I had booked our vacation last May and had instructed our Agent that we would not, never, they couldnot force me etc, to spend one night at the SEA GARDEN in PV, he assured me that I would not be placed there. RIGHT- I called from the Mayan in NV the Wed. before and told the front desk that we would arrive on the Sunday, after sitting from 1 in the afternoon to 5 pm we were given our room, you guessed it, across the street, I told them that my friend was asthmatic and would die there and that I was going to spend the week in their lobby as I know it would be better than the Sea Garden, they finally relented and sent us to a room facing the street, noisy, smelly etc. Never again will I ever darken the door of the Mayan PV.

34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member