“Nice, but not worth the price”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Vallarta
Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #28 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Houston
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I recently visited the Mayan palace and was taken by the resorts entrance, and Professional look. However the room was un inhabitable. The Room was Rated for up to 6 people. The Roll out beds from under the couches were worse than sleeping on rocks. The Master bed room faired about the same. My entire vacation was ruined because I couldn’t get an ounce of sleep on any the beds. They were all hard as rocks. The couches, were also impossibly firm. The beds hid under the couches, and thus they lacked cushioning as well. This is a Time Share Resort. For Every one of the 10 days I was there, there were time share sales people, and customers EVERYWHERE. It was annoying to sit at the pool because I could hear the sales pitches. Ate breakfast, Listened to sales pitches. Went to the beach, Sales pitches, Sat at the bar, Sales pitches. I went during spring break. I would have enjoyed a slap in the face from a drunken college student as long as it was a guy looking like a used car salesman pitching a pinto. I think the hotel is set up more for this than anything else. The rooms look nice, but lack any kind of functionality. Like the beds looked good, to hard to sleep on. My room didn’t have carpet, and it hurt my feet. I think the cleaning ladies did a good job, (I even tipped them) but the room was always felt dirty. I went on some adventures. The tour guide told me that I couldn’t get the low rates because I was staying at the Mayan Palace, I had to pay their concierge $50 per trip I wanted to go on. What a rip off. The room may have been cheap, but everything there is so expensive I still spent a fortune. The Drinks, The food, the calls, The cabs, The lack of a free internet connection is inexcusable. The $10 a night hotel up the street had Wi Fi. What’s the Deal???

• Stayed: March 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. Time Share Sale, Time Share Sale, Share Sale. Worst vacation of my life. Cyber Cafe costs a fortune. In fact everything there costs. A lot it's annoying.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2006

Hello, We just returned from staying at the Mayan Palace Marina Vallarta for a week. We had a nice vacation. There are a few things i would like to say about the hotel. First of all the crowd is older. The average age had to be at least 60. The good thing for us was there weren't very many children to bother you in the pool. The daily activities were ok. But just when you wanted to relax they started to play the music and do aerobics, or water valleyball. When you asked them to turn down the music they wouldn't do it. Our luggage didn't make it to the airport, the concierge was to take care of the situation however made no effort what so ever to resolve the situation. Called us on our last day there to ask if we had received it yet, still have not received any luggage and probably won't. The grounds on the hotel are beautiful, they are lush and green with lots of blooming flowers. There were always available chairs around the pool and beachfront. The absolute most to die for spot is the "tribu club" The white chairs and couches looking over the ocean. The service up there is fantastic, the view is great, great music. They say there is a $5 cover charge, but you get a free drink with that, so it is a wash. You truely feel like a queen up there. Try the sirloin burger from the outdoor grill by the pool, fantastic or the club sandwhich, and their prices weren't even to bad.
One thing to stay away from is Hawaiian night. Terrible! Their was a horrible selection of food, and it was very cold standing in the wind and by the time you sat down to eat everything was ice cold. The entertainment seemed like a bunch of 16 year old girls learning to dance. I am easily entertained but this is not worth the money.
As for the rooms, they were nice and large. The beds were very hard. Didn't like the couch pull out system always felt like you were sleeping on the floor. Very small balconies, but we had an ocean view so that was worth it. The marble floors were pretty but very dangerous when wet, my husband slipped and fell twice. We had daily maid service and they were wonderful.
It was just to far to always go downtown, there was alot more traffic than I was expecting. It always cost you $8-10 dollars for the taxi to downtown. The bus is a fun experience but with all the frequent stops it does take some time to make it to your destination. Go to the marina for food, Victors is very cheap on drinks and food. He has a wonderful breakfast. Fajita Bananas has great fajitas. The lighthouse is perfect for a nightcap.
As for food downtown, our favorite spot was an italian resturant La Dolce Vita. Great pizza and pasta. We also very much enjoyed Pipi's. We did the Los Veranos Canopy tour, it was a good time. Our husbands golfed at the Jack Nickalus course and said the views were amazing. All in all it was a great vacation. Who could complain while sitting on the beach drinking pina colads, when everyone else is freezing back in MN.

• Stayed: February 2006
22  Thank wisdomiii
Reviewed 6 February 2006

The more you pay for your week, the more disappointed you'll be.

This is not the place for 25-35 year old couples! NO NIGHTLIFE! We went to the bar one night only to find the bartenders playing pool (note: it costs money for guests to play pool). The bartenders acted as if we were disturbing them when we walked inside. Hello...do they work off tips? We left that bar and went to the bar by the water (where we were again the ONLY patrons -- it was only 8:30p!)

The rooms have no clocks -- bring one or know what time it is by looking at the sun.

The biggest problem was that housekeeping stole items from our room on our 3rd day. They took individual wrapped granola bars and personal products from my toiltrees bag. They also rummged through my makeup bag. We had security in our room at 12:30 at night to file a report. In return for our missing items we got some fruit and a bottle of tequilla -- not exactly making the customer happy. I could go on for paragraphs about the horror of customer service at this resort!

Daily activities not that great -- beach volleyball, pool volleyball, or board games. And sometimes they don't get enough people to play (lots of older canadians stay at this resort for 3 months at a time -- not really the beach volleyball type).

Not wanting to end on a negative, I will say the pool bartenders are friendly.

18  Thank LondonGirl3
Reviewed 24 January 2006

We just got back from a week at the Mayan Palace/Marina.

This is a nice resort and one of the few that are not all-inclusive. My husband and I travel to Mexico every year and this is our second time in the Marina area. We are in our early 40s with grown children so we report on what's important to us. Here's my report:

Food - too expensive at the resort especially considering the marina has about 25 places to eat and its basically a block away. We had breakfast there once, ($3 for 2 slices of toast) and it was average. They do have a buffet but it was $22 per person, way overpriced. They have a lunch menu and the waiters are all nice and helpful. Example - hamburger/fries $7, chips/quac $4. We did go to the one function they have there - thursday night-hawaiian night. Not really like any luau we have ever been but it was decent, $29 per person. It consists of a buffet, drinks and a show.

Beach - fairly nice, swimmable and there are lots of lounge chairs. There is an outdoor bar that is really nice, we had appletini's there every night, big white couches and a fire pit. Very nice.

Pool - There are two, one is adults only. The problem with the adult pool is it doesn't get sun until very late in the day (after 2) but it has the swim up bar. The other one is nice and has lots of shallow areas for kids.

Room - yes the beds are hard, they always have been at every place we have ever stayed in Mexico. Our room was in the main building, older but decent and clean. Maid service every day + turn down service. No complaints.

Lastly, one thing is obvious, RCI people get treated differently. We don't get the rooms by the pool/ocean even though I requested it when I checked in and we get different colored bands (than Mayan Palace owners) for our wrists which doesn't make sense anyway since its not all-inclusive.

Overall, this is a good quite place for families and older people (which there was a lot of). If you like to party hard and like lots of loud music and craziness, I wouldn't recommend this place. It was a little boring there at times.

26  Thank syoung
Reviewed 23 January 2006

We stayed at the Mayan Palace January 8 - 15 on our honeymoon. We have no real complaints about the hotel, and would rate it above average.

Timeshare: If you don't want to be bothered by the timeshare pitch, then simply don't go! After reading the reviews prior to going, I was nervous about the time-share people, but they really don't bother you if you "just say NO". Then they smile, wish you a nice day and you're on your way. Too many people are trying to get free stuff and sign up for the timeshare presentations. Then they're upset when they're put into a high-pressure situation that they aren't comfortable with. Just say no.

Location: I thought the marina would be inconvenient, but it's not. You can walk to the megastore and get everything you need. Or you can hop on a bus to Wal-Mart. The bus is only 45 pesos and will take you right downtown to the Malecon if you like. Very easy to get around in Puerto Vallarta.

Grounds: Absolutely beautiful! There are always workers out pruning and cleaning.

Rooms: We asked for, and were given an ocean-view room. Yes, they are slightly dated (late 80's), but extremely functional. You can cook in them and there is plenty of room for 4 adults. We didn't spend much time in our room though - that's not what we were there for. There is daily maid service and they turn down your beds in the evening. The maids made swan towels, and a cute little basket out of the kitchen towels. Very clean, except you can never get all the sand off the marble floors!

Service: The service around the pool is excellent - you can get excellent club sandwiches, quesadillas, etc at the snack bar, swin-up bar, or from the many waiters. Watch for the 2 for 1 deal though. Beer is really two for the price of one, but we decided that anything else is actually double the booze for the same price. Everything is charged to your room, so you don't need to worry about carrying cash at the resort. Victor at the beach bar is excellent - tip him well - he brings you drinks right to your chair on the beach.

Beach: The beach is probably one of the best in the marina area. We walked up and down a long way, and some areas are rocky, some are smooth. All in all, the Mayan beach is excellent - very clean.

Activities: We didn't get too involved in the activities except for a couple of water aerobics, but they are always doing something - not pushy - either in or around the pool, beach volleyball, etc. We went to the Hawaiian night (Thursday) which was very good - open bar (VERY strong drinks).

Food: I can honestly say that the only place we ate at the resort was the snack bar/beach bar, which was excellent. The rest of the time, we went to the Marina or downtown. The Marina is a 5-minute walk away - try the Seafare, Victor's, or the first Italian restaurant (it has a section right over the water). I don't remember the name, but it was amazing.

The ONLY negative about this resort is the lack of nightlife. There is a bar called Tribu, and the beach bar, but both were dead the entire time we were there. I do think this resort caters more to families and older people.

42  Thank princessgrizz
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 January 2006

We just returned from a week at the Mayan Palace Marina and had a wonderful time. The hotel was very clean and the people were very friendly. The location-1 block from the marina-was the best part of the vacation (Be sure to request the Marina location, not the Nuevo). We've never stayed near the marina, nor visited it, but felt like we've discovered an entirely new vacation spot. After staying both downtown and in the hotel zone previously, we'll never stay anywhere other than the marina area. The marina is a large boardwalk area with many shops, restaurants and bars-and of course Time Share Sharks. We were completely comfortable walking around at night and never were concerned about safety (unlike Jamaica). The boardwalk was mainly families and a 30+ crowd, so if you're looking for clubs or all-night parties you're better off going downtown. Downtown is a 20 minute, $.45 bus ride that's very easy and actually kind of fun. We rode it both day and night and were completely comfortable and safe.

No matter where we went in PV, we encountered someone offering "Free this or Free that", even $200.00 cash to tour their hotel. Simply laugh and tell them "No Tours" and keep walking. Even the Time Share Sharks, persistant as they were, were friendly and never ever threatening. Just Keep Walking, if you stop, they get ya!

Our last recommendation is to not do All-Inclusive and do not eat at the hotel. There is so much good food (and much cheaper!) around the area that you'd do yourself a disservice not to explore and try out the restaurants. Also, there is a small store across the street with water and essentials, and cheap Corona, if you want stuff for your room.

One last comment, we were on the 1st floor and the music from the hotel bar was quite loud at night, request 2nd floor or higher.

31  Thank A TripAdvisor Member