“Great Stay!”

Ranked #27 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Appleton
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 1 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Mayan Palace marina location for a week in March. This was the first time that we've stayed in a timeshare and, based upon some of the previous reviews, I was pretty nervous about it! We do own the Mayan (having purchased on our previous trip) and I was thinking that maybe we had made a bad decision. I completely changed my mind once we checked into the resort! Everyone was so helpful and we really liked our rooms. Granted, we are used to staying in a hotel room that is just that: a room, so having more space to spread out that the timeshare gives us was such a big plus that we overlooked the fact that some of the upholstery could use a cleaning/updating.

The location of the resort was great! We walked to the grocery store a couple of times. Stocked up on mostly breakfast supplies. We enjoyed having the kitchen and being able to have breakfast in the room. Most of our other meals were eaten at the Mayan or in the marina resturants. We did take advantage of the offer made at check-in to listen to the timeshare presentation. Were given breakfast buffet that morning and pesos to put towards our bill at check out (to be used for meals and drinks). We ordered lunch by the pool a couple of days and spent a couple of late afternoons having drinks at the Sunset Beach Club. Although the presentation did take a couple of hours, we did it right away our first morning there so feel that it was worth it.

The marina was close so we walked there most evenings for dinner. There are some very nice resturants in the area and we found them all to have great food and good service. It was also very easy to catch the city bus to get downtown for tours and meals. It picked up right outside the Mayan (look for the ones that say "downtown" on the front) and only cost about 45-cents each way. Getting the bus to go back was a bit trickier as they don't pick up on the main street. Just ask for help - everyone is happy to direct you to the pick-up spots! We had no problems and the bus takes you right back to the Mayan area!

All in all, we had such a great time at the Mayan Palace and are looking forward to our next stay there. We've heard and read many good things about the other Mayan locations and are looking forward to visiting them too. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions - I will be happy to share my thoughts with you!

27 Thank We4travelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2006

Our youngest daughter and I took a Spring Break escape to Mayan Palace where we own a timeshare. Amazing that not one salesperson asked me to hear an informational session. Of course, my husband was at home, but I have listened to other share sales pitches alone, but anyway, I didn't worry about that, but I will address sales later.

First, the grounds, pools, beach, etc. Everything is very well maintained. Staff is trained to always greet you, which they did. Staff maintains place well. Frequently whitewashing walls on the grounds that get nicked with luggage carts, etc.

Suites themselves. Regarding hard beds as indicated by a previous reviewer. The night before we thought we stayed in the bardest bed in the world so MP's beds were fine. Actually, I didn't complain about the beds across the street at Embacadero Pacifico, but our daughter did. She said MP beds were fine so that's one person's opinion.

Kichenette very complete. Plates, glasses, dinnerware, silverware, blender, toaster. A good paring knife would have been nice, but we made do. Also, microwave, small frig, two cooktops, sink..with no very hot water. If we really wanted hot water, we could go to the shower and get great hot water quickly.

Bathroom, as I said, always quick hot water. Hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Size, fine for hotel size, but not the spacious size many people are used to at home.

LR & DR. Sofas for sleeping which we didn't use. TV and entertainment center. I had so much fun watching Gonzaga and other team in Spanish. (NCAA basketball) Coffee and DR table and chairs. Floor is either marble or terrazo. No hotel in that area is going to carpet due to climate...in spite of the other viewer's illusions. Overhead fan.

Bedroom. King size bed. Firm mattress. TV. Enough light with two bedside light and one floor lamp. Dresser. Overhead fan.

Airconditioning through out. With the temperature in the 70's outside, I don't want A/C. Had to tell the maids to turn off when done working.

Balcony on both LR and Bedroom with room enough to sit in a chair. I really liked this feature.

I talked to a number of guests who are owners and come down the same week from Canada, Green Bay, WI, Pittsburg, etc. Another couple from Winnipeg just bought a timeshare from MP and raved about the sales person, a Canadian who used the softsell instead of the hard sell. Name Cynthia.

Enough activities for those who like that on beach (volleyball) and in pool (also volleyball, aerobics, etc).

About cost. When you go to a more expensive hotel, the price on other services just goes up. The two of us spent under $200 US on drinks and Internet for the week. I don't drink alcohol. Cost of soft drink same as margarita poolside. You are a captive audience, and, of course, no coolers by the pool.

The 4.5 (45 cents) bus gets you downtown or to Walmart, not that I was happy to go there. Our last stay in PV was 8 years ago, and I was surprised at how it has grown. Population about 1/2 million...and traffic on the main road to and from downtown is busy most of the time.

For meals, we did breakfast and lunch in the suite and went out for evening meal. Usually in the Marina which has lots of fine offerings. Also had a good time at Pipi's.

I can't think of anything more; I am just sad that all of this wonderful weather is so far from our home.
Four hours on a direct flight.

23 Thank Holakjs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I recently visited the Mayan palace and was taken by the resorts entrance, and Professional look. However the room was un inhabitable. The Room was Rated for up to 6 people. The Roll out beds from under the couches were worse than sleeping on rocks. The Master bed room faired about the same. My entire vacation was ruined because I couldn’t get an ounce of sleep on any the beds. They were all hard as rocks. The couches, were also impossibly firm. The beds hid under the couches, and thus they lacked cushioning as well. This is a Time Share Resort. For Every one of the 10 days I was there, there were time share sales people, and customers EVERYWHERE. It was annoying to sit at the pool because I could hear the sales pitches. Ate breakfast, Listened to sales pitches. Went to the beach, Sales pitches, Sat at the bar, Sales pitches. I went during spring break. I would have enjoyed a slap in the face from a drunken college student as long as it was a guy looking like a used car salesman pitching a pinto. I think the hotel is set up more for this than anything else. The rooms look nice, but lack any kind of functionality. Like the beds looked good, to hard to sleep on. My room didn’t have carpet, and it hurt my feet. I think the cleaning ladies did a good job, (I even tipped them) but the room was always felt dirty. I went on some adventures. The tour guide told me that I couldn’t get the low rates because I was staying at the Mayan Palace, I had to pay their concierge $50 per trip I wanted to go on. What a rip off. The room may have been cheap, but everything there is so expensive I still spent a fortune. The Drinks, The food, the calls, The cabs, The lack of a free internet connection is inexcusable. The $10 a night hotel up the street had Wi Fi. What’s the Deal???

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. Time Share Sale, Time Share Sale, Share Sale. Worst vacation of my life. Cyber Cafe costs a fortune. In fact everything there costs. A lot it's annoying.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneaplis, Mn
Reviewed 16 February 2006

Hello, We just returned from staying at the Mayan Palace Marina Vallarta for a week. We had a nice vacation. There are a few things i would like to say about the hotel. First of all the crowd is older. The average age had to be at least 60. The good thing for us was there weren't very many children to bother you in the pool. The daily activities were ok. But just when you wanted to relax they started to play the music and do aerobics, or water valleyball. When you asked them to turn down the music they wouldn't do it. Our luggage didn't make it to the airport, the concierge was to take care of the situation however made no effort what so ever to resolve the situation. Called us on our last day there to ask if we had received it yet, still have not received any luggage and probably won't. The grounds on the hotel are beautiful, they are lush and green with lots of blooming flowers. There were always available chairs around the pool and beachfront. The absolute most to die for spot is the "tribu club" The white chairs and couches looking over the ocean. The service up there is fantastic, the view is great, great music. They say there is a $5 cover charge, but you get a free drink with that, so it is a wash. You truely feel like a queen up there. Try the sirloin burger from the outdoor grill by the pool, fantastic or the club sandwhich, and their prices weren't even to bad.
One thing to stay away from is Hawaiian night. Terrible! Their was a horrible selection of food, and it was very cold standing in the wind and by the time you sat down to eat everything was ice cold. The entertainment seemed like a bunch of 16 year old girls learning to dance. I am easily entertained but this is not worth the money.
As for the rooms, they were nice and large. The beds were very hard. Didn't like the couch pull out system always felt like you were sleeping on the floor. Very small balconies, but we had an ocean view so that was worth it. The marble floors were pretty but very dangerous when wet, my husband slipped and fell twice. We had daily maid service and they were wonderful.
It was just to far to always go downtown, there was alot more traffic than I was expecting. It always cost you $8-10 dollars for the taxi to downtown. The bus is a fun experience but with all the frequent stops it does take some time to make it to your destination. Go to the marina for food, Victors is very cheap on drinks and food. He has a wonderful breakfast. Fajita Bananas has great fajitas. The lighthouse is perfect for a nightcap.
As for food downtown, our favorite spot was an italian resturant La Dolce Vita. Great pizza and pasta. We also very much enjoyed Pipi's. We did the Los Veranos Canopy tour, it was a good time. Our husbands golfed at the Jack Nickalus course and said the views were amazing. All in all it was a great vacation. Who could complain while sitting on the beach drinking pina colads, when everyone else is freezing back in MN.

• Stayed February 2006
22 Thank wisdomiii
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 6 February 2006

The more you pay for your week, the more disappointed you'll be.

This is not the place for 25-35 year old couples! NO NIGHTLIFE! We went to the bar one night only to find the bartenders playing pool (note: it costs money for guests to play pool). The bartenders acted as if we were disturbing them when we walked inside. Hello...do they work off tips? We left that bar and went to the bar by the water (where we were again the ONLY patrons -- it was only 8:30p!)

The rooms have no clocks -- bring one or know what time it is by looking at the sun.

The biggest problem was that housekeeping stole items from our room on our 3rd day. They took individual wrapped granola bars and personal products from my toiltrees bag. They also rummged through my makeup bag. We had security in our room at 12:30 at night to file a report. In return for our missing items we got some fruit and a bottle of tequilla -- not exactly making the customer happy. I could go on for paragraphs about the horror of customer service at this resort!

Daily activities not that great -- beach volleyball, pool volleyball, or board games. And sometimes they don't get enough people to play (lots of older canadians stay at this resort for 3 months at a time -- not really the beach volleyball type).

Not wanting to end on a negative, I will say the pool bartenders are friendly.

• Stayed January 2006
18 Thank LondonGirl3
syoung
Reviewed 24 January 2006

We just got back from a week at the Mayan Palace/Marina.

This is a nice resort and one of the few that are not all-inclusive. My husband and I travel to Mexico every year and this is our second time in the Marina area. We are in our early 40s with grown children so we report on what's important to us. Here's my report:

Food - too expensive at the resort especially considering the marina has about 25 places to eat and its basically a block away. We had breakfast there once, ($3 for 2 slices of toast) and it was average. They do have a buffet but it was $22 per person, way overpriced. They have a lunch menu and the waiters are all nice and helpful. Example - hamburger/fries $7, chips/quac $4. We did go to the one function they have there - thursday night-hawaiian night. Not really like any luau we have ever been but it was decent, $29 per person. It consists of a buffet, drinks and a show.

Beach - fairly nice, swimmable and there are lots of lounge chairs. There is an outdoor bar that is really nice, we had appletini's there every night, big white couches and a fire pit. Very nice.

Pool - There are two, one is adults only. The problem with the adult pool is it doesn't get sun until very late in the day (after 2) but it has the swim up bar. The other one is nice and has lots of shallow areas for kids.

Room - yes the beds are hard, they always have been at every place we have ever stayed in Mexico. Our room was in the main building, older but decent and clean. Maid service every day + turn down service. No complaints.

Lastly, one thing is obvious, RCI people get treated differently. We don't get the rooms by the pool/ocean even though I requested it when I checked in and we get different colored bands (than Mayan Palace owners) for our wrists which doesn't make sense anyway since its not all-inclusive.

Overall, this is a good quite place for families and older people (which there was a lot of). If you like to party hard and like lots of loud music and craziness, I wouldn't recommend this place. It was a little boring there at times.

26 Thank syoung