“Nice enough”

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #41 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 14 May 2006

My wife and I bought at the Mayan Palace after touring the Nuevo Vallarta location. Our first use of our ownership brought us to the Marina location to be closer to town. The difference was astounding.
First off, the ocean view was interesting. We were in the building furtherest from the beach. The view to the ocean also included the pool area, which was cleverly obscured by palm trees. The room itself (we own a master room package) was the lockoff unit. It had duct tape over the seam of the door between us and main 1 bedroom unit. I assume to help with cooking odors, as the 1 bedroom unit has a kitchenette. The noise from the other other unit, which was being used by 4 adults, was minimal. The furnishings were underwhelming and a bit disappointing. No tubs in the master room.
The resort itself was immaculately maintained. It was a bit of a walk to the pools and the beach from the building we were in, but it was a lovely walk. It takes you by the concierge, travel agency, store, gym, restrooms and restaurants. The pools were clean and and the poolside food was good, but a bit pricey. $8 for a burger? The waiters were annoying when taking drink orders. They offer you a 2 for 1, and my wife would order one. Everytime, 4 or more times, the waiter would return with 2 large drinks, costing $11. The 2 for 1 was the larger cup, and the waiters kept bring us 2 of them. Anyway, I kept letting them get away with it but it was annoying.
For anyone staying in Puerto Vallarta, you are wasting your money eaiting at the hotels or any of the restaurants along the marina. All you have to do is hop on the bus (45 cents) and go to the Wal Mart. From the Wal Mart, walk 2 blocks behind it to taco stand heaven. I counted 20 different vendors, selling everything from Cubanos (delicious pork sandwiches), fruit smoothies, donuts, tamales, menudo, to tacos of all sorts, including al pastor, adobado and asada. The variety was mind boggling, and my wife and I ate there 3 of 5 nights, only having the things we really enjoyed more than once. And each night it cost us less than $15 usd for both of us, including bus fare, multiple beverages and several pastries. Truly a delight. For the adventurous, a bus trip to Bucerias, again only 45 cents per person, can get you a lunch of chips, salsa, guacomole, Lobster, shrimp, steak, a whole fried fish and a bucket of beers for $37. We also had a luch of 2 lobsters, chips, salsa, beers, lemonade and live entertainment for $33.
I would recommend the Mayan Palace to anyone who can go there. The accommodations are pleasent and the location is ideal. The staff is very nice and they take pride in their jobs. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2006
19  Thank Mentat72

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 18 April 2006

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Mayan Palace - the ocean view, spacious accomodations, excellent dining, and friendly staff. Minutes away from one of the most relaxing spas and just a walk down to the marina, the Mayan offers guests the perfect 'get away' admist beautiful landscape and ocean view settings. Relax under the stars at the outdoor lounge, salsa the night away in the discotech, savor the most delicious Mexican flavors in their restaurant - the Mayan definetly has it all.
Transporation is always available and buses are very economical.

We look forward to our next visit and certainly have made the Mayan Palace our #1 resort in Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 April 2006

Just returned from a fantastic week at the Mayan Palace. The sunsets, ocean breeze, and view from our room was breathtaking. Service superb and staff outstanding. God willing, plan to return next year.

We celebrated our parents 40th wedding anniversary. Words are inadequate to express our appreciation to the event planner and staff at the Mayan Palace who made it memorable for us.

Loved the simplicity and authenticity. Enjoyed downtown Puerta Vallarta, the spas, flea market and restaurants at the Marina. The fabric store is a Mecca for you fabric lovers.

Returned with admiration and respect for a people and their culture.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Mayan Palace marina location for a week in March. This was the first time that we've stayed in a timeshare and, based upon some of the previous reviews, I was pretty nervous about it! We do own the Mayan (having purchased on our previous trip) and I was thinking that maybe we had made a bad decision. I completely changed my mind once we checked into the resort! Everyone was so helpful and we really liked our rooms. Granted, we are used to staying in a hotel room that is just that: a room, so having more space to spread out that the timeshare gives us was such a big plus that we overlooked the fact that some of the upholstery could use a cleaning/updating.

The location of the resort was great! We walked to the grocery store a couple of times. Stocked up on mostly breakfast supplies. We enjoyed having the kitchen and being able to have breakfast in the room. Most of our other meals were eaten at the Mayan or in the marina resturants. We did take advantage of the offer made at check-in to listen to the timeshare presentation. Were given breakfast buffet that morning and pesos to put towards our bill at check out (to be used for meals and drinks). We ordered lunch by the pool a couple of days and spent a couple of late afternoons having drinks at the Sunset Beach Club. Although the presentation did take a couple of hours, we did it right away our first morning there so feel that it was worth it.

The marina was close so we walked there most evenings for dinner. There are some very nice resturants in the area and we found them all to have great food and good service. It was also very easy to catch the city bus to get downtown for tours and meals. It picked up right outside the Mayan (look for the ones that say "downtown" on the front) and only cost about 45-cents each way. Getting the bus to go back was a bit trickier as they don't pick up on the main street. Just ask for help - everyone is happy to direct you to the pick-up spots! We had no problems and the bus takes you right back to the Mayan area!

All in all, we had such a great time at the Mayan Palace and are looking forward to our next stay there. We've heard and read many good things about the other Mayan locations and are looking forward to visiting them too. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions - I will be happy to share my thoughts with you!

27  Thank We4travelers
Reviewed 31 March 2006

Our youngest daughter and I took a Spring Break escape to Mayan Palace where we own a timeshare. Amazing that not one salesperson asked me to hear an informational session. Of course, my husband was at home, but I have listened to other share sales pitches alone, but anyway, I didn't worry about that, but I will address sales later.

First, the grounds, pools, beach, etc. Everything is very well maintained. Staff is trained to always greet you, which they did. Staff maintains place well. Frequently whitewashing walls on the grounds that get nicked with luggage carts, etc.

Suites themselves. Regarding hard beds as indicated by a previous reviewer. The night before we thought we stayed in the bardest bed in the world so MP's beds were fine. Actually, I didn't complain about the beds across the street at Embacadero Pacifico, but our daughter did. She said MP beds were fine so that's one person's opinion.

Kichenette very complete. Plates, glasses, dinnerware, silverware, blender, toaster. A good paring knife would have been nice, but we made do. Also, microwave, small frig, two cooktops, sink..with no very hot water. If we really wanted hot water, we could go to the shower and get great hot water quickly.

Bathroom, as I said, always quick hot water. Hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Size, fine for hotel size, but not the spacious size many people are used to at home.

LR & DR. Sofas for sleeping which we didn't use. TV and entertainment center. I had so much fun watching Gonzaga and other team in Spanish. (NCAA basketball) Coffee and DR table and chairs. Floor is either marble or terrazo. No hotel in that area is going to carpet due to climate...in spite of the other viewer's illusions. Overhead fan.

Bedroom. King size bed. Firm mattress. TV. Enough light with two bedside light and one floor lamp. Dresser. Overhead fan.

Airconditioning through out. With the temperature in the 70's outside, I don't want A/C. Had to tell the maids to turn off when done working.

Balcony on both LR and Bedroom with room enough to sit in a chair. I really liked this feature.

I talked to a number of guests who are owners and come down the same week from Canada, Green Bay, WI, Pittsburg, etc. Another couple from Winnipeg just bought a timeshare from MP and raved about the sales person, a Canadian who used the softsell instead of the hard sell. Name Cynthia.

Enough activities for those who like that on beach (volleyball) and in pool (also volleyball, aerobics, etc).

About cost. When you go to a more expensive hotel, the price on other services just goes up. The two of us spent under $200 US on drinks and Internet for the week. I don't drink alcohol. Cost of soft drink same as margarita poolside. You are a captive audience, and, of course, no coolers by the pool.

The 4.5 (45 cents) bus gets you downtown or to Walmart, not that I was happy to go there. Our last stay in PV was 8 years ago, and I was surprised at how it has grown. Population about 1/2 million...and traffic on the main road to and from downtown is busy most of the time.

For meals, we did breakfast and lunch in the suite and went out for evening meal. Usually in the Marina which has lots of fine offerings. Also had a good time at Pipi's.

I can't think of anything more; I am just sad that all of this wonderful weather is so far from our home.
Four hours on a direct flight.

23  Thank Holakjs
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I recently visited the Mayan palace and was taken by the resorts entrance, and Professional look. However the room was un inhabitable. The Room was Rated for up to 6 people. The Roll out beds from under the couches were worse than sleeping on rocks. The Master bed room faired about the same. My entire vacation was ruined because I couldn’t get an ounce of sleep on any the beds. They were all hard as rocks. The couches, were also impossibly firm. The beds hid under the couches, and thus they lacked cushioning as well. This is a Time Share Resort. For Every one of the 10 days I was there, there were time share sales people, and customers EVERYWHERE. It was annoying to sit at the pool because I could hear the sales pitches. Ate breakfast, Listened to sales pitches. Went to the beach, Sales pitches, Sat at the bar, Sales pitches. I went during spring break. I would have enjoyed a slap in the face from a drunken college student as long as it was a guy looking like a used car salesman pitching a pinto. I think the hotel is set up more for this than anything else. The rooms look nice, but lack any kind of functionality. Like the beds looked good, to hard to sleep on. My room didn’t have carpet, and it hurt my feet. I think the cleaning ladies did a good job, (I even tipped them) but the room was always felt dirty. I went on some adventures. The tour guide told me that I couldn’t get the low rates because I was staying at the Mayan Palace, I had to pay their concierge $50 per trip I wanted to go on. What a rip off. The room may have been cheap, but everything there is so expensive I still spent a fortune. The Drinks, The food, the calls, The cabs, The lack of a free internet connection is inexcusable. The $10 a night hotel up the street had Wi Fi. What’s the Deal???

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. Time Share Sale, Time Share Sale, Share Sale. Worst vacation of my life. Cyber Cafe costs a fortune. In fact everything there costs. A lot it's annoying.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member