“My first All Inclusive”

Ranked #32 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Victoria, Canada
“My first All Inclusive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

As this was my first all inclusive resort stay I can't draw any comparisons, but I will try to provide what feedback I can.

We stayed in a suite style of room with a full kitchen, that overlooked the tennis courts. This wasn't our choice, it just happened to be what we got. The kitchen wasn't separate from the bedroom, so we could hear the fridge come on and off throughout the night, which kept waking us. The next day we asked to be moved and as rooms came available through the day we "shopped around" until we found one that suited us better. This room had the bedroom separate from the rest of the suite and was very nice. Overlooking the tennis courts isn't a big deal as we spent most all of our time at the pool anyway.

The pool is one of the best features of this resort. They have signs up at the pool about not reserving chairs, but that didn't stop anybody. We weren't peak season so it still wasn't too hard to find a four chairs together for us and the other couple we were travelling with. The pool is beautiful. You can be in the pool and enjoy the sun or the shade. The swim up bar is usually shady too, so if you want to spend a lot of time there you can without getting too much sun.

They do pool volleyball, music, water aerobics and other events in the pool to keep you entertained. Or if you wish for more quiet they have a lot of loungers set up along the beach away from the noise.

The food was ample and just good basic eating. They rotate the menu to some extent so that different days of the week offer different menu styles. I think i gained 10 pounds in a week. The buffet was large and there was never a wait at the times we went to eat.

Staff were very friendly and for people that were obviously regulars (or perhaps time share owners?) they were super friendly.

Last but not least, the liquor. A lot of people brought their own larger plastic cups, which is a good idea as they serve their drinks in small plastic ones. The alcohol was good, with all your basics available. Two types of beer your standard Mexican pale lager or dark lager. You can ask for nicer quality rum/vodka/tequila etc...than what is on the tap as well.

One final word of warning that has no affiliation with Canto Del Sol. Do not talk to the guys standing outside of their store front that is directly across the large roundabout outside of the hotel. They will try to call you over for sales pitches and use hard pressure sales tactics to get you to try to buy time shares. Another couple we met had a near terrifying experience with them and were essentially robbed. Again, they have nothing to do with Canto Del Sol, I only mention this if you are staying in that area.

Room Tip: The rooms near the tennis courts are quiet at night. During the day it's noisier, but you'll...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gregory H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I went to the Canto Del Sol for 2 weeks in March and were blown away with this place. The staff were all wonderful right from Angel at the front entrance to Eduardo on the beach.Our room was basic but we had a balcony and it was kept spotless for us. We never wanted for anything in it. The food was great and service was wonderful. We were amazed at all of the cleaning that was on going. We had never been on a resort before that had someone stationed at the pool washrooms all day just to keep them clean. We never saw one timeshare person. Location was very nice. We walked to the Malecon one morning beachside-rough in some places with the rocks but very nice. The only thing we didn't like-and no fault to the resort as it was on the public beach side of the rope-the people doing the horse rides on the beach should be cleaning up after their horses. Not pleasant sitting on the lounge chairs with horse dodo in front of you. We loved this place and will definitely be back. Thanks to all the wonderful staff who work there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sungirl2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Not only was that my first time in Puerto Vallarta, it was my first trip to Mexico. I had read a lot of reviews and tips on travelling to Mexico, safety, etc., before going there and was not really sure whether I was doing the right thing but decided to give it a shot anyway. OMG – that turned out to be the best vacation choice that I have ever made so far!
To be honest, my day one was very rough, if not horrible, and I was almost ready to pack my things and leave the place, but then everything miraculously changed and the rest was like my dreams of a perfect getaway came true! The horrible thing was the timeshare presentation, a.k.a. “sales presentation”, that is virtually impossible to avoid. I have no idea why the resort lets those people on their premises and why it has to be so camouflaged for an innocent “let-me-show-you-around tour”, which is also presented as a “no obligation” thing. Oh, boy, is THAT wrong!!!! That was a total and complete waste of time, there was a tremendous amount of pressure to buy their offer, the guy who introduced himself as the one who was paying the resort to hold presentations was insanely and unbelievably rude to the point that he dared to ask me very private questions and make assumptions about my personal life when people were around. I felt my privacy was brutally violated. To say I was upset and devastated is to say nothing. I just had to stand up and leave, and I thought my vacation would go down the drain.
… and then, everything started to change. I did not go anywhere to complain about what had happened, and I still have no idea how on Earth the guest service staff figured out that something had gone terribly wrong, but I was approached by one of them – Fabiola, who was very professional, very nice, and even though it was not her fault, she was sincerely concerned about how I felt and very apologetic. We talked very nicely and took care of me and made sure that I feel welcomed and comfortable in there resort. Throughout my stay she always asked me if everything was OK, we had nice small talks and I soon forgot about the nightmare I had to go through at the beginning! Another guest service representative, Angel, was very helpful in terms of giving suggestions, advice, helping out with everything I had concerns about. All of them were great, and I do agree with those who say that personnel of the resort are just AMAZING! They literally made my stay there. I do not remember all their names, but I would like to thank Fabiola and Angel from guest services, Johana and Angel from the front desk, Alfonso and his partners from the restaurant and many others. The service they provide is topnotch, their professionalism is impeccable!
The resort is kept clean, the beach is a bit small, but clean too. The room is big and comfortable, and of course clean – as everything else in the resort. I stayed in room 189, which faces the pool, and unlike some reviews say, I cannot say it was noisy. The bed was super comfortable. The only thing that might be of some inconvenience was the noise from the AC, which was kind of loud, but I would turn it on and leave it working during the day, while I am away, and then turn it off before going to bed at night. It was enough to keep the room cool overnight, and there was no inconvenience at all.
Another bonus of the resort is its location. It is very close to downtown Puerto Vallarta. You can take a cab, and there are always some at the front, or you can take a city bus. In terms of time, it doesn’t really matter what you take as there’s always traffic, and it usually takes around 15 minutes to get downtown. In terms of price, busses are way cheaper than cabs. You will pay 7.50 pesos for the bus, but the price for the cab ride varies from 60 to 200 pesos, and I guess it is on the driver’s discretion. Both cabs and busses run very often.
Daily activities by the pool were very much fun to watch, and although I did not participate, I enjoyed their contests and shows while having lunches and sometimes dinners in the restaurant. Night entertainment was not that great. I mean, it was not bad, but I have seen better and more entertaining shows. Again, that was not a big deal either as downtown was very close, and one can easily find any kind of nightclub, restaurant, etc. you desire. I went out almost every night with my friends, and we had a lot of fun!
Another thing about PV is safety. It is pretty safe. There’s a lot of police presence there, but it only made me feel more relaxed during my late night walks and parting with my friends, who by the way I met there.
If you want to add some glamour and charm to your vacation, I would suggest buying an all day cruise to one of the most amazing secluded beaches I have ever been to – Las Caletas. It should be seen as no words are good enough to describe the beauty of nature, the service you will get, the quality of food, etc. You can google it and you will get a lot of info on this place! Highly recommended!!!!
Well, as I said, it started bad, but the staff was able to turn it into a miracle! Thank you very much to all of them. Will I be coming back? Sure! I feel like it is just the beginning of a long-term love affair with Puerto Vallarta!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank MiroToronto
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I loved the atmosphere of the lobby when I walked in the people were so nice and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and larger then other hotels I stayed at and the furniture and bedding was very nice and comfortable. Unfortunately we forgot to ask our travel agent for ocean view and got a mountain view with a very small deck. But we did not care because we spent our entire time hanging out at the awesome pool with swim up bar. Or walking down the beach and going for a swim in the ocean or a suntan. The beach was clean and the sand was soft not rocky. The food was excellent and the drinks were good did I mention all you can eat or drink. We even walked into town all the way to the Malecon and felt very safe it was a 20 min walk to the clubs. We had a blast I will never forget my first time in Mexico were I stayed at Canto del Sol.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank VandaVictoria
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

An overall very satisfying experience that I will always remember; in a beautiful location.
Whatever short comings this resort may have, the staff more than made up for it.
I won't mention many specific names because I can't remember them all.
My room was cleaned very well every day & 2 bottles of water supplied
The buffet waiters & supervisor were incredible as was Chris in the lobby bar the week I was there. Pablo at the poolside bar made sure your glass was never empty.
I thought that the buffet food was better than the 3 'a la carte' dinners that I was entitled too.
I'm from 'cattle country' ( Calgary, Alberta, Canada ) & the beef in Mexico doesn't stack up to what we eat, but they do a good job of presentation.
I've read quite a few reviews & I know there are some legitimate complaints, but I people watch a little & can't believe how ignorant & CHEAP some guests are.
Because it is all inclusive most don't ever tip at all.

Not everything was rosy as I was very disappointed in the WI-fi. They were having problems supposedly & I could receive emails but not send. They had their IT look at my laptop several times & blamed it on my server. My server worked fine when I got home.
They sent an email for me which never worked.
I had to make a phone call to Calgary to confirm my pick up at the Calgary airport.
I used the hotel land line & had it charged to my credit card & the cost for a call that was less than 2 minutes cost just over $58. Yikes.
Other than a few minor glitches I have no problem recommending this hotel & I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was ground floor facing the pool & was fine.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ralph A
Morelia, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

It was an excellent experience to see the great service that all the personal from the hotel can offer and serve you. 100% honesty and respect, very good, thank you so much for everything.
I hope to come back next year!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny, an excellent choice!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adriana H
Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff is what makes this a nice place, they are ALL friendly and remember you. This resort is a little on the small size, it only has one pool and the beach is also on the small size. The rooms were nothing special very simple and kept in pretty good shape.
The food was ok, nothing too special a pretty good choice of items. I would say this is more like a 3 1/2 or 4 star resort.
Its great if you aren't planning on spending a lot of time there, because you would get bored in about 2 or 3 days.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alenalovessun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#27 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#22 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,471 reviews
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,431 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#33 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,442 reviews
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!