“Great time, great location, great value”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #32 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great time, great location, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Wow, just recovered from the redeye home from PV...not my favorite way to travel. Everyone tries to tell you are getting an extra day but with checkout at 11 am you are without a room until you catch your bus at 11 pm. Makes for a loooong day and cranky teens.

Anyway, on with the review. We stayed at the CDS for a week with a group of 15 people. We ended up here for 3 reasons; 1) Plenty of referals from friends and positive TA reviews. 2) The amazing price and 3) a direct flight from Winnipeg.

Checking in: At booking we requested an adjoining room so we can keep an eye on our teenagers. When we got there, they put us four rooms away despite our concerns. Never argue with the nightclerk. We got up early the next morning, found the Transat rep (Paula, very friendly and helpful) and she straightened it out with the manager in minutes. Adjoining rooms and plasma tv's to boot. (View of tennis courts but who stays in their rooms anyway).

Food: Typical buffet for B,L,S. Each dinner had a different theme, Mexican, French, Italian. Lineups were short, if any. Food was decent but as is typical with an AI, you are ready for something else by the end of the stay. There are also 2 a la carte restaurants but we couldn't be bothered to book them a day in advance. There is also a snack bar right between the pool and beach...nachos, hamburgers, etc from noon until midnite. The teens practically lived off the snack bar. Free room service between midnite and 6 am (decent sandwiches).

Pools/Beach: The pool was a little murky for my liking but the teens used it with no ill effects reported. There are few seats at the swim up bar and were almost always occupied by the same loud, obnoxious, drunk people. The red flag was up (always is apparently) on the beach but still enjoyable so long as you have some swimming skill. Free kayak, boogie board and catamaran rides. The moment you get off the steps you get swarmed by beach vendors, if that bothers you. The beach directly behind the hotel is kept clean but once you venture past the wall/rocks on either end and it becomes gross quickly. There were squatters in tents and lean-to's to the south of the resort and used condoms, dead fish and rats. If you want to go for a romantic walk on the beach, wear sandals and walk north!

Bar/Waiters: There are two bars, lobby and pool. The lobby bar is open 6 pm - midnite. The pool bar is open 11 am to midnite. I don't drink myself but the others seemed happy with the quality of the drinks. I don't think they rinse the plastic cups after washing them as they have a distinct soapy odor (but not taste). There are no no-smoking areas so be prepared to smell like smoke at the end of the night. Most waiters were so-so but Martinez was amazing. He'd have 10-15 tables full of people, no paper or pen and he would get everyone's orders right. Service increases if you give him a RedBull.

The negatives I have noted are far outweighed by the overall cleanliness of the resort, friendliness of the staff, quality of the food and the low price. I have paid far more to stay in a higher star resort with no where near the same level of satisfaction.

• Liked — Proximity to the Malecon
  • Disliked — Murky pool
8 Thank NishTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
Markham, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Just got back from a week at the Canto Del Sol and it was terrific! I just wish we could have stayed longer.

The staff are very polite and extremely helpful, they work very hard at making sure you are happy with the Canto.. Also, the room, the food and drink were all very good comparing it to other all inclusive resorts we've stayed at. The Mexican a la carte restaurant at the Canto was fantastic.

If you've never been to Puerto Vallarta, I'd highly recommend the Canto Del Sol Resort. There are stores and a little shopping mall right across the street. Local travel is very convenient, 55 cents will get you downtown on the buses (they run about every 5 minutes) or about $5.00 by taxi.

For anyone looking for another great Mexican Restaurant when you're in PV and choose not to eat in the hotel one evening, we found the Red Cabbage Cafe ( El Repollo Rojo) to be outstanding. They are open evenings only.

• Liked — Great staff and a nice variety of good food everyday.
  • Disliked — Room overlooking the pool was a little noisy.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YellowNape
calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

We stayed at Canto Del Sol in Puerto Vallarta from January 11th to January 18th, 2009. Most reviews we read before we went were pretty good....they was only a couple of bad ones, and honestly I don't know where those reviews came from.
It was great, service, food, drinks, pool, beach was a little small, but if you are going for a great beach don't pick Puerto Vallarta. We had a wonderful time and everyone at the hotel was great.
If you have any questions on Canto Del Sol, please send me a message.

• Liked — Wonderful staff
  • Disliked — small, somewhat rocky beach
4 Thank sunshinecalgary
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

We just got back last night, Jan 18, from Canto Del Sol and I needed to let everyone know what a nice time we had.

It's a great hotel. The rooms are nice- I had sore shoulders from the pillows so maybe bring your own. the food is delicious and the staff are so warm and helpful; Ricardo, Chuy, Jorge and the dude who wears the Calgary Flames Cap. They all go out of their way to make sure you're having a good time and always have a full cup. The pool is fabulous, the beach is beautiful...the swim up bar is a hoot, the beach chairs are comfy. We lounged around and drank most days, but they have a wild fun time playing tequila 'balley'ball' and drinking contests which we Canadians usually won, and blackjack and such...

The nightly entertainment is a trip! It's fun to see a rhinestone cowboy or 'mexican Cats' singing their hearts out. One of the greatest things to see is the pirate ship that cruises by the hotel in the morning and the evening. It's quite majestic. At night, it lights up and shoots off fireworks right near the hotel. So you've got the nightly entertainment singing and the pirate ship shooting off beautiful fireworks. I think they've got it timed out, it's pretty and fun.

The snack bar is alright. It is what it is, just a snack bar. We had hot dogs with a side of nacho's. Mmmmmm. I didn't like the specialty restaurants. I had chicken at the mexican restaurant, and I was disapointed in it. Plus, I personally felt rushed. My BF was sick for our second attempt at the italian restaurant so we only went to the one. Ivan's meal at the mexican restaurant - red snapper- was perfect, so my problem was a selection thing.

We went to the Dolphin Adventure through Vallarta Adventures. Do the Signatue Swim, it's worth the extra couple of dollars. You get dolphins kisses and hugs, you get to feed them and get a belly ride to the other end of the pool where you get a show. I wanted to go everyday after the first experience. I can't say enough good things about Vallarta Adventures. Those ppl are fantastic. We also went to Las Caletas and just about killed ourselves laughing. Allan was our tour guide and he was funny, engaging, and totally nice. The way back to PVR the staff made sure everyone had glasses and would do round after round with beer and fill up the cups and play music that everyone would sing and dance to. Great times and beautiful location. I went snorkeling and saw beautiful fish and held birds and fed a duck and held a monkey that peed on my arm while I was holding him.

We are already planning our next adventure. I would reccomend and encourage ppl toward this hotel any day. A little respect to the folks around the hotel goes a long way. If you are looking for a great hotel at a great price, this is the place to be.

Thanks to everyone at Canto Del Sol. We had a fantastic experiene.

• Liked — The Staff, The Location, The Ocean, The Food
  • Disliked — The Beds, A lil noisey w rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank melwatson22
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2009

When you book your stay at the Canto Del Sol, Puerto Vallarta you may enjoy reading my review. We went on a last minute trip to Mexico to escape the Artic Blast in Calgary and to party, golf and tour Mexico. We lucked out on a very last minute trip. Not only was it cheap in price but I was -40C the whole week we were gone! The travel agent recommended this resort for the price and quality service her daughter received when she stayed with this resort.

We traveled Jan 27 to Feb 2, 2008. Had a good direct fright out of Calgary (West jet rules) and going through customs was painless. When you get out of the airport avoid talking to the “timeshare salesman”. There annoying and expensive (I learned the hard way before). The bus transfers take you to the resort with several stops on the way at other hotels. But… this gave us a chance to see downtown, the marina and all the other hotels for future travels. Total time on the bus was probably 40 minutes.

Check in was simple and easy. Request a ocean or pool view. Our room was facing the tennis courts. Rooms are clean and safe and the maids did a good job daily. There is a good safe in the closet. USE IT! ITS FREE! Beds were comfortable and bathroom was in good condition.

Food: This was so so… Some days the buffet was amazing and others it tasted like breakfast or the lunch. You have to ask to bacon. I’m Canadian and I like bacon and there pretty cheap on it. The omelette lady has it, ask her! There are some ala carte restaurants. I really enjoyed the steak. I raise Alberta Angus Beef and the steak they cooked was amazing! The snack bar by the pool is basic fast. I don’t care for it and rarely at there.

Drinks: AWSOME! Ask for a Miami Vice. Lots of beer choices and great classics. Some days they over did the rum! Overall the drinks were amazing.

Beach: Small size and always busy. Lots of vendors and they become a pain. I was the jet ski guys best customer for a week. If you know much about jet skis and want to have fun take the new blue Yamahas. There 800s and they go! I loved it when days were windy or lots of ships or boats went by to catch there waves for some sick air. He charges $40 US per half hour but was generous on the time when it was not as busy. As a repeat customer I got a few runs for $25 US and I am sure you can do the same or better! (he also takes Canadian money)

Extras: There is good clubs around the city and they offer packages at the front desk including a taxi fare. I did a foam party which was fun and full of Canadians. I would do it again in a heart beat. It was around 30$ US. I also golfed one day but had a afternoon tee time in the extreme heat! Golfing was good but the course was dry and greens were fast. I planed ahead and brought a few sleeves of ProV1s and tees which saved me a lot at the course. Club rentals were Callaway’s irons which were nice and in good shape. Golf and cart was 125$ US. Attended the Bull Fight next to the Wall Mart. This is pretty harsh but I did enjoy the entertainment aspect. Don’t take kids, just guys! Trust me, your old lady will be mad at you for dragging her along!. The highlight of the trip was the Serria Madre with Vallarta Tours. We traveled through real Mexico and had a great tour guide who was funny and very knowledgeable on the trip. We got to see the jungle in old army jeeps on windy roads high in the mountains. Its well worth it! You will visit old town and the tour wraps up with a beach party and the best meal ever! They even do a tequila tasting (meaning they make you do shots, haha) on the ride back to the hotels. Do it, you will love it, I Promise! $80, and well worth it.

Overall the we enjoyed the Canto Del Sol. Some of the reviews will scare you away but the did a good job hosting us. I wouldn’t go back because I want to try a new place every vacation but it a good place to take your friends or family for a nice and enjoyable holiday. A vacation is as only as good as you make it! Safe Travels, Ciao

• Liked — Clean and safe rooms
  • Disliked — Small Beach
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank gmoneybank
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

Hola Amigos !!!
Just returned from a great holiday at Canto Del Sol. The reviews of Mapleleaf1winnipeg and pgfinney are almost bang on with our experience so I'm just going to add some odds and ends. Since our visit to cancun 4 years ago, Mexico now has real clamato juice, so if you are a ceaser fan like I am you now longer have to settle for a weak attempt of a bloody mary. I would think some how a canuck had a hand in this.
When we checked in we got a nice room 273, but when we woke up we found we had a nice view of a tree. Later in the day my wife approach the front desk and asked for a change, what we got was room 212, complete with kitchenette and flat screen TV. We now had a view of the beach, the mountains and the lights of the Malecon ( boardwalk). We tipped the front desk for the change but we think just asking would have got the same.
The pool area is great for very yound kids. Part of the pool area is only about a foot deep and was great for our 3 yr old.
One area that had me concerned at first was our check out time was noon but our bus wasn't coming until 8.30pm. They have that solved by storing our bags in a room behind the front desk and give you an option, at no charge,to book a hospitallity room for a shower if need be.
There is 8 tennis courts in the complex.
There was a beach wedding while we were there. Watching the staff, it was easy to see that they were going to do everthing in their power to make sure everything went off well for the bride and groom.
Bring a travel mug, the waiters are always around, beach and pool, but it just keeps your drink cold for the times it isn't in your hand ;).
The only thing I didn't like was the rock hard beds but it was not a huge issue. I also missed the white sand beachs of cancun and cuba but from the great experince I had at this resort , I will be back and I can live with the sand. After all any sand is better than the 2 feet of snow I had to shovel on our return.
The hotel has messages by the beach for 330 pecos for 60 min. but just outside the hotel there are several store fronts that offer for 250 pecos for 75 min. One couple we met actually got a great deal of 400 pecos for 1 1/2 hr for the 2 of them.
When exchanging money, shop around, the hotel had a good rate. We took US cash but next time we will just take Canadian. They are willing to exchange either currency. The rate durning our time there was 12.8 pecos per yank dollar and 10.5 pecos per canuck buck. Most shops do a 10 to 1, pecos to $US dollar so it worth the effort to exchange your money before shopping. Our whole family had a great time and we traveled with our 3 and 14 year old daughters.

Special thanks to Alec and Carlos of the sports and entertainment team.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Hard beds.
8 Thank zaxxca
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

Many times in PV but never here. The travel agent pushed the Krystal but read your reviews and they were right! The place was spotless, the service beyond compare even with some 5 stars. Going away at New Years is new to us so we didn't know what to expect, we're going back!
New Years Eve- The show was top quality, something you would expect to pay a lot of money for, the food was excellent and I swear there was a waiter for every 3 tables. Fireworks, live music, comedy, party favours, hats, champagne, dancing, I could go on and on but you get the idea. The place was full of western Canadians, a few Americans and some from Mexico. It made for a good mix and all were in a party mood.
The food was good for Mexican standards and Oh My Gosh-they had real bacon!
I don't want to sound corny but it was the nicest place I have been to without paying a fortune. It's like they got a bad rap and wanted to prove something and they did. Everyone we talked to had only good things to say about all the staff, especially Sigifreudo, the best bar tender in the world!
If you are looking for luxurious rooms, saunas, whirlpools, gold faucets, etc. this is not for you. If you want a lot of fun, decent rooms, good food, superb service and a great location, this is the place.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed December 2008
6 Thank pgfinny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#27 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#22 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,471 reviews
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,430 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#33 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,441 reviews
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!