“It was okay, but definitely not geared toward Americans.”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #32 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Oklahoma
“It was okay, but definitely not geared toward Americans.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We have done several all inclusive trips to Mexico in the past. We have always enjoyed lounging by the pool, sipping drinks, listening to music and watching/participating in all of the fun things that the hotel staff comes up with. This is one of the resons I wouldn't go back to this hotel. All of the music by the pool was in Spanish and we didn't recognize/enjoy any of it. All of the staff spoke in Spanish and conducted all of the pool activities in Spanish. We definitely felt like outsiders. I know that this is IN Mexico, but the past places we've been to were very different. Not to mention that if you wanted a chair by the pool you had to stake your claim to it by putting your towel down early in the a.m. (we would do it on our way to breakfast). We didn't figure that out for a few days though! Also, one of the reasons we booked this hotel, besides the fact that it was cheap, was because it had a swim up bar. It ended up being closed the whole time. Bummer! It was clean and nice enough, the food was good to us. We thought the buffet rated high compared to other all inclusives we'd been to. I knew ahead of time that you only get a limited amount of times to eat in the "nice" restaurants, but it was weird that you have to walk across the street from the hotel and go through a maze to get to them. The customer service was not up to par compared to past vacations. It just seems like the staff is not happy and rarely smiles. Guys that checked us in were friendly, and Jose the bartender @ pool bar ruled. He was awesome. That's pretty much it. We caught fish while deep sea fishing and hotel refused to cook it for us (we have been to a different hotel in PV previously that cooked fish for us) so that was upsetting. Overall an okay time but we wouldn't book here again. Go to small travel agency across the street from hotel to save alot of money on excursions-can't remember the name of it, but it's the only one, across from the front of the hotel and a little to the left. Two brothers run it, they were reliable and friendly. Saved us tons!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ashmittens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Canto del Sol was very clean and quiet. Our room had plenty of amenities: king size bed, kitchette, flat screen TV. Located about 20 minutes from airport on the main road. Very convenient to mall, about a 5 minute walk. Bar service was excellent. Food was very down home Mexican. Just the way I like it. It seemed like there were only about 50 people staying there so definitely got the VIP treatment. Only minus, not lot of activities offered during the weekend except the time share stuff. Count me out!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Edward T
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

The hotel was very nice. We exchanged with RCI and this was the only 2-bdr property available for our timeframe. They upgraded us to a newer room and it was just as nice and new as the other 4 and 5 star properties we have stayed at before. Staff super nice. The pool is a nice size, but only 4 feet deep. We chose not to buy the all inclusive option, therefore we could not eat or drink anywhere on the property. Which was not a problem for us, we always go to a grocery store and stock up on beer, water, pop, munchies, and we always cook breakfast in our room. The guys at the airport (whose middle names should be LIAR) will tell you that there are no grocery stores near Canto Del Sol, there is a huge, clean MEGA grocery store 10 min. max from the hotel.

They try to get you to do the timeshare presentation, but do take no for an answer easily.

There are restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Los Caracolas is one that we enjoyed, owned by Johnny, he made us some killer fish tacos. The beach is not much to speak of, so if you are hoping for a long stretch of smooth sand, you will not find it here. If you like massages, you will be glad you are here -- right across from the hotel there are at least 4 different massage places, now selling 75 min. massages for 20 bucks. The one I went to was clean and professional. There are many places for internet, they are 1 hour for 15 pesos, or around $1.50. Cheap! There is a bank about a 3 minute walk from the hotel, change your money there for the best exchange rate.

We have been coming to Mexico for many years, and maybe this time I just got fed up, but just about everyone you talk to will lie to you or seriously stretch the truth. If you are in the mood to take a day catamaran trip - DO NOT TAKE THE GERONIMO. This crappy trip will take you to the north side of the bay. Stay away from the north side of the bay, there is nothing great to see, and you cannot relax on the beach like you can with the other tours. The Geronimo skimped on the breakfast, completely omitting items advertised, the lunch was terrible, not enough food and they ran out of alcohol! 12 beers for 15 people. Anyway, just do not pay for the Geronimo catamaran day trip. Las Caletas is the best one.

All in all, I would stay at the Canto Del Sol again, just because my husband and I do not mind walking, buying groceries, and making it work. We came here for my parents 50th and I wish we could have stayed at a nicer place, if only for that reason.

YES -- Proximity to town
YES -- Cheap, clean massages
YES -- Big, clean grocery store nearby
YES -- Clean, new, modern room, very impressed
NO -- Cannot buy drinks or food at the pool if you do not buy the all inclusive option
NO -- The Geronimo catamaran trip

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank bofeb14
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

Went there because of the rate. Boy was I disappointed. We have been going to Mexico for 30 years. We used Apple Vacations and had to ask to be moved to Barcelo Mis maloya. What a beautiful hotel. We will definitely go back. We had to pay an upgrade.
Canto del Sol had the worst pool ever - 4 ft' deep!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbsearch
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Ok- so here's the DL on Canto Del Sol (and it is long).

My husband and I came here on our honeymoon. It is not a fancy resort. It is a 4-star hotel. The staff at the front desk was fabulous, as well as the bell boys. Housekeeping was fabulous and came by our room 3-4 times a day to make sure it was cleaned and that we had towels (if you are in the room, they don't come in). They only complaint I had with the room was there isn't a tub, just a stand up shower. We made "reservations" at both of the restaurants the hotel has. You are treated like royalty. The server even laid my napkin in my lap for me. The Mexican restaurant was fantastic, the Italian was just OK. The buffet that is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was really good. Almost every night they had a "Create-your-own-pasta" where you picked the ingredients and the chef cooked it right in front of you. The snack bar is open almost all day long and the food there is pretty good. My hubby and I tried several different drinks and depending on the bartender, sometimes they were good, sometimes they were not. If they don't put enough alcohol in it, ask for more. I did. They have a really good drink called a Miami Vice- absolutely amazing.

DO NOT drink the water. I know everybody says that. Even if it is in a bottle. If it does not have an American label on it, don't drink it. We drank the so-called purified bottled water on Wednesday, and we were sick the rest of the week.

The beach is really not that great. So if you want to lay out on the beach- go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alcarson
Libertyville, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

What a great week we had at Canto del Sol. If you're looking for super luxurious, then this is not for you. However, if you want great service, a fun activities staff, lots to do, yet can relax by the beach or pool, then this is for you. It's not real big (only 4 stories) so there is no long trek from your room to the beach or pool. We got there late at night so the only rooms left were those that looked out over the tennis courts. The next day we went to the check-in desk and asked if we could have a room with a pool/ocean view. They showed us a possible choice and when we saw it the bellman kindly helped us move to the room, which had a great view. They were more than happy to accomodate us.

The activities staff is great. We especially liked Israel who was extremely funny and provided lots of laughs during our week there. Most days at 1:00 we grabbed a Corona and sat down for the 1 hour Blackjack tournament by the pool. My teenage daughter also did water aerobics and beach volleyball.

The pool is great. Very nice size and kept very clean. We also enjoyed the beach a lot. Like almost all hotels, you do need to get your chairs in the shade by 10:30 or they might not be available. Seats in the sun were always open. Depending on the tide the beach could be a little rocky at the edge of the water, but I found places that were just sand. The beach itself is sandy and I enjoyed walks along it down past the hotel towards downtown.

We never encounted any lines when we went to eat, except once when there were 4 people in front of us. The greeter said if we didn't want to wait (which we didn't mind), we could go around the corner to another room to eat breakfast. The waiters provided great service, always with a smile. And I took someone's advice and tried the made to order omelettes which were real good.

The room was comparable to a Howard Johnson's. Just fine with a great TV (not that we were there much to watch it). Best bed and pillow I've ever slept on at a hotel. I wanted to take them home. (I stated at a Hyatt once and didn't get any sleep as the bed was so soft it hurt our backs). This was our first all-inclusive, and it sure does spoil you. We did eat downtown one day.

We took a sailboat ride to Yelapa with a stop on the way for whomever wanted to snorkel which our teenager did. And one day we went downtwon and walked the Malecon.

The staff at the this hotel was so friendly and provided such good service that we hated to leave. Definitely a thumbs up!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank LoveToTravel_1027
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

My girlfriend and I went to celebrate our birthdays. We had gone for two weeks, the first week it was just her and I and we stayed in a two star in old romantic Puerto Vallarta. The location of that hotel was great and althought the food wasn't top notch we loved it.

Our husbands we going to be flying down to join us for the second week of our stay so we thought we should upgrade to a four star hotel. Big Mistake. We ended up at the Canto Del Sol. Both couples are pretty well traveled but we can honestly say we have never hated a resort as much as this one! Because of the sister properties there are line ups everywhere at this hotel. Get in line for supper, for drinks, and good luck getting a chair around the pool or at the beach! I felt like there was 3000 people rammed in to an area meant for 1500. I am not a very picky but I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank shoparound0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#27 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#22 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,471 reviews
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,430 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#33 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,441 reviews
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!