“Don't Do It!!!!”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Maine
Reviewed 5 May 2006

Our vacation club travels twice per year and decided to try something different this time. I am here to tell you that Canto Del Sol is NOT the answer to your vacation dreams.
In all fairness I must admit that the rooms were very clean. Jorge at the pool bar was awesome, and the bartenders at the pool bar were very nice. But for the most part the praise ends there.
We have been traveling all inclusive for many years and are perfectly familiar with the buffet scene and the fact that it can get old after a few days. It should also be a given that depending on where you go, you will have to adjust to the customs of the area foodwise. That said, the food here was TERRIBLE!!! I decided to have an omelet one morning and waited so long in line that my party was done eating when I got back to the table. I guess I wasn't the only one who could not stomach what the buffet had to offer. The a-la-carte restaurants were better but the options were very limited. The hostesses were all very rude and the waiters for the most part were not very accomodating. We were lucky to get a waiter who even attempted to understand what we were saying. Breakfast is served at 7am and when we sat down with plate in hand one morning at 7:15, we were told we could not sit there because the table was not ready. It was missing a fork!!! We had to take our plates, coffee, juice and all and move one table over rather than them just giving us a fork.
The pool is gourgeous but good luck trying to relax poolside. Apparently the hotel sells day passes for local folks and those in neighboring towns to enjoy the pool, food, and drink for the day. So now you have a full hotel and a pool full of locals on top of it. They converge all around the edges of the pool and plant themselves on the pool bar stools for the day. All entrances to the pool are blocked by the little ones who cannot swim alone yet. Dirty diapers are left both outside and along the inner edges of the pool. Food is thrown in the pool. By noon the pool is a cloud. Good luck keeping your chairs even if you get up early to reserve them. One little jaunt to the bar or to grab an inch of poolspace and you take the chance of loosing your chair. Don't worry about your stuff though, becuase they carefully place it in a pile before taking the chair away.
I really don't know about the night life at the hotel because by the time we finished dinner each night, the locals had gotten comfy in the lounge and good luck trying to get a drink much less a seat. And the bartenders have favorites so you could be next in line and still take backseat to anyone depending on who is tending bar.
The beach seemed nice initially until we took a walk and found beer caps lining the beach everywhere and huge piles of trash off to the side of our hotel. This did not get touched once during the time we were there. Not appealing to say the least.
All in all it was a very disappointing visit to Puerto Vallarta. Don't waste your money on this resort.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,636)

Reviewed 4 May 2006

I should admit that I am not fond of "All Inclusive Resorts" and that while I had some unfortunate friends that did stay here; my accomodations were, happily, elsewhere. So I only had to pay to visit this place during the day: as one can't enter without paying a fee and being leashed.

This hotel is a poster child for bad "All Inclusive" resorts everywhere. There are certainly good all inclusive resorts; this is certainly not one of them.

They aim low at every level from service, to rooms, to food. I have seen better buffets at the Midnight Mission--at least they replenish the trays. And no, this is not about a picky American. This slop is about as Mexican as Taco Bell. I enjoyed the posative review below where the reviewer explanied that this is the best one can get in a food challenged place like Mexico. The fact is the Canto del Sol is food challenged; not Puerto Vallarta.

Combined with the terrible location, ersatz Mexican Village decor, small, tacky rooms, cheap booze, terrible service, and prison-camp security; this is a truly awful place. I can only assume that many of the guests were, mercifully, too drunk to notice.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank billyar
Reviewed 2 May 2006

I would not go back to Puerto Vallarta unless I stayed at a much nicer resort. Canto Del Sol was clean and the people were very friendly but their were way too many children in the pool and in the pool area. There was no adult pool and there were activities constantly in the pool, water aerobics, poker by the pool, volleyball and hockey goals in the end of the pool, it was loud most of the day. If you are looking for a relaxing resort environment around a cool pool with a swim up bar this is not the place. There were even children taking up the bar stools at the swim up pool. The bartenders were great and the drinks were great but fighting your way through the kids to get to the bar was a pain.
If you have a family and want the kids close by you'll probably like this resort, the location of the hotel is also convenient to everything and their is good shopping close by, but be warned though that the shopping by the hotel is more exoensive than the 10 minute cab ride into town.
Be wary of the timeshare people, my sister and I stood our ground to got really good discounts on a boat trip for $30 a person and the El Eden canopy for $40 per person, the presentation was over 90 minutes though. The boat ride was terrbile, the crew was very nice but the snorkeling was horrible, we saw maybe 12 fish total and I got stung by something in the water and have 4 inches of marks on my legs that have not faded in 2 weeks. Avoid the boat trip Vagabundo if you want good snorkeling, their prized Caletas snorkeling area is a joke. We did hear that others had good snorkling experience at Los Archos. I would recommend the El Eden Canopy zipline through the jungle, it was a lot of fun, there is a lot of walking up and down hills so be prepared for a workout.
Additionally, don't forgot to take lots of one dollar bills, everyone expects you to tip everywhere you go. Oh and be perpared for cab drivers when you arrive at the airport, they will swamp you charging 17 or 18 dollars for ride to the hotel zone, you can avoid all of that by exiting the airport and taking the walkway across the street where you can grab a cab for 10 dollars.

2  Thank wwwredhead
Toronto
Reviewed 1 May 2006

I just got back from Canto Del Sol in Puerto Vallarta. Let the truth be told - the resort is in a great location if you are looking to live out the nightlife in Puerto Vallarta. The hotel itself is nice (especially if you fight for a room with a pool view). The pool area is quite nice, and it even has a convenient swim up bar :)

But beware...the food is less than average. I highly recommend that you bring extra money to go out for dinner every single night!!! Breakfast is alright as you can't really go wrong with eggs and toast. Lunch at the pool side grill is also alright if you don't mind living off of nachos, burgers, and fries all week long for lunch.

Truthfully - this is THE HOTEL to go to for young people who don't really go for gourmet meals but just want the sun and booze during the day, followed by hard core partying at night (side note: go to Christine's on sunday and thursday....WELL worth the $50 all inclusive price!!!).

For those of you taking your families, invest the extra cash and go to the Krystall Puerto Vallarta. THAT is a beautiful hotel in a prime location!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 29 April 2006

Just got back from Canto Del Sol with my wife and 2 children ages 5 and 1and food quality was not that great and there was not much of a selection for the kids at the dinner buffet. The morning Host/Hostess and wait staff were sometimes rude. The daily breakfast and snacks were decent. The rooms were very clean and never saw an insect. The pool view/ocean view is beautiful. The nightly entertainment was alright. The pool and lobby bars offered a good selection of drinks. The 2 a la carte restaurants were great and good service. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2006

My husband and I and our two children stayed here for 4nights the week after Easter. The first night was ok, but things got worse as the days went on. The view from our room was a huge grass hut roof, we could hear the ocean, just couldn't see it. We got over that I guess, but also the sink constantly leaked as did the toilet so the bathroom floor was constantly wet. We were lucky to get our room cleaned by four in the afternoon. (We always tip at the end of our stay, not daily, bad choice I guess). The housekeeper also somehow took by daughters favorite stuffed animal with the sheets and she never got her back and no one seemed to care or want to help us get it back.
The first morning we were hit by the time share people. Bad experience, be careful. It was more like two and a half to three hours, not 90 minutes plus we never received tickets to two of the tours they had claimed to promise to us.
You could never get a shaded spot by the pool. People reserved them very early and most of the time they sat empty except for a towl and book on them.
The food was creepy for the most part. The nicer restaurants had the better food, the snack bar was ok, but they ran out of food at times and the same crabby lady was there every day making the food.
The other reviews say the water is ok, do not drink it, I've been sick since I've been back. I feel like I need to be tested for parasites.
If you are younger, have a limited budget, just want to drink a ton and not care about anything else, this place wouldn't be bad. Not the best choice for a family looking for a relaxing vacation.

3  Thank VSBren
Reviewed 18 April 2006

My Husband and I had our Honeymoon in Puerta Vallarta Mexico, at Canto Del Sol Resort for 7 days from end of Feb 2006 till March 1st.2006
It was my and my Husbands first trip to Mexico.
Canto Del Sol, was Beautiful, all inclusive food, and any drinks too.
Very Friendly staff, It was fun, relaxing, and worth every penny(or Pesoes).
We definetly will go back, and I highly reccomend Canto Del Sol!!!
Gracious,..