“It's nice for a 3 stars”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I recommend this hotel for those who don't have big expectations. Service is nice, staff is nice also! not too far from downtown 60 pesos a taxi!! beach is beautiful! Food is ok really basic.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank FlightAtten
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)

Reviewed 7 March 2010

room was ok, food was below average,booze is booze. Not alot of extras, but at least we were not overcharged.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank freezbaby
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Loud, smoky, rock-hard beds, a crowd pools with "activities." (Forget about actually lap swimming in the pool.)

Spend a few more bucks and check into the Marriott Casamagna for the vacation of a lifetime. Cantol del Sol should be rated 1.5 stars, ranking it a three-star hotel is false advertising.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jpinwestseattle
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I read many review on the Canto del Sol before our trip. i think the one titled 'it ain't the Ritz' best fit the property. I think the property is around 30 years old and would compare it to a Best Western in the US. They have updated the rooms and our room had a flat screen TV.

I would say there was only 3 things we didn't like about the stay.
1. The beds and pillows were hard as a rock. I have been in the hotel business for 20 years, so I have seen a lot of different mattresses. I didn't bother to look at the brand, but it was too firm for my taste. If I had to do it over again, I would have went to Walmart on the first day and bought a thick mattress pad and just left it behind when I left.
2. Our room had a connecting door (which I think most of the rooms do). The first few days of our 6 night stay there was no problem. Then we had new guests check into the connecting room. The connecting doors don't have any type of seal or sweep, so you can hear noise from the next room. We did not have an issue with noise, but every morning at 5am the guest would light up a cigarette. The smoke would go through the cracks and into our room which would wake my wife and I up every morning. I did not complain to the front desk, so we just put up with it. All the rooms are supposed to be non smoking of course.
3. Air conditioner in the room was extremely loud. Again, I didn't ask the front desk about it. I think all of them are that way. it was just the fan speed. it didn't have a thermostat. just high/medium/low. if your are light sleeper, this could be bothersome. too me it just ended up being constant background noise that you eventually got used too. While AC was on high, you had to crank the TV up to almost full volume to hear it.

The pool area is great!!! We spent a lot of time at the Pool Bar. Pablo the bartender did an incredible job serving us. Don't expect to find a huge selection of alcohol.

The buffet restaurant had average food. We had great service from Raul who took care of us on a daily basis. We were only able to eat in one of the A la Carte restaurants which was the Mexican theme. Good Mexican food. Avoid the Grille A la Cart - didn't hear one positive comment while I was there on the food from the Grille.

If your room does not have a fridge, one is available for a daily rental of $25. If you are there for 2 weeks, may be cheaper to go to Walmart and purchase one.

After check-in, they send you across lobby to a desk to get more "information" on the hotel and amenities. This is where they try to get you to sign up for time share presentation. They offered us 2 hour massage, $50 credit in lobby jewelery store, and a certificate to come back and stay for 4 nights/5days. They also tried to get our credit card number. NOT HAPPENING! Be prepared. If you don't mind wasting a couple hours of your vacation for these extras, go for it.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the hotel. I wish we could have slept better, but overall the property is good value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nbamericinn
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Let me start by saying that my opinion is based on my experiences staying 3* resorts all over the world. I am NOT comparing this hotel to a 5* like a lot of the other people on this forum. It drives me nuts when people cpmplain about bugs, hot weather, leaky faucets etc... big flippin deal!!! This is Mexico! get off your high horse and go stay at a 5* and pay 5* prices!
Anyway, although I had a wonderful time (as I don't let the little things bother me), the food was not very good here ( Club Merival and The Royal DeCameron were far superior) and the rooms were decent enough but none of our rooms had working air conditiong. Pools, beach and grounds were good - no complaints there. Overall I would pick another 3* to stay at but you can still have a great time there especially if you get a smokin deal to stay here.
beaches have lots of vendors trying to sell you items or hair braids but if you aren't into that kind of thing then stay away from Mexico! it's like that everywhere there.
Please just take what some people are saying with a grain of salt, they sound like they most likely complain about everything at home too!

Oh and as far as getting sick goes, I get the runs everytime I go to mexico, it's Mexico not the resort! Do your research and make sure the mexican culture works for you before booking a holiday there and if you want a 5* hotel and service then book a 5* resort.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lady8ug06
Reviewed 27 February 2010

My friend and I just returned from 1 week at Canto Del Sol, and had the most AMAZING time. The service and staff are excellent, and we met some amazing people who we plan on keeping in touch with.

Pool was good with a swim up bar, and fun activities during the day. We played pool volleyball almost every day. The beach is nice with a rocky seawall on either side so it makes it more private.

The food is just OK - we ate out a couple nights instead of going to the buffet. Breakfast was good (eggs done anyway you like, bacon, pancakes etc.). There is a snack bar with burgers, fries, nachos, sandwiches etc. I reccommend getting nachos with cheese and chicken on top - yum! There isn't much selection at the buffet, but we were never starving!!!

The rooms were very clean with flat screen TV's. Ask for a room with a balcony! They are also very accomodating if you want to switch rooms, but you have to be at the front desk between 12-1 to make a room change. We didn't find this out until the second day.

Everyone reserves pool chairs super early in the morning - but there are signs everywhere saying you can't reserve chairs so most day we just removed towels from saved seats and used them. If people had issues we just pointed to the signs that say no reserving chairs. Some people would put their towels down in the AM and go into town ALL DAY and never come back for their chairs.

At check in, I would reccommend telling the people at the "second check in counter" you aren't interested in their time-share info and just get your towel cards. They will tell you it is a part of the check-in process, but it's not. We had to firmly tell them no thank you and just give us our towel cards. Otherwise, you will get stuck listening to them about time-shares for 30 mins.

Canto Del Sol also offered FREE internet with laptops which was a great perk!

We had a great time, and would definitely go back. My friend and I have both been to many 5 start resorts, and we thought for a 3.5 star this hotel was well worth going if you get a good deal!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jamie E
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Excellent facility for travel with young children. We were a Grandpa & Grandma with a 4 year old gransdon on his first airplane flight and visit to another country.Lots of people, including kids, from all over. Very good staff with activities for children all day long.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family