“Had a blast at Canto del Sol”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 20 March 2010

My wife and I just returned from Puerta Vallarta, Mexico and stayed at Canto Del Sol.
The reviews are close, but this is my opinion. I did change rooms after the first night, the adjoining room was loud and we could here everything in the next room. The 2nd room was much better. The pool is great and the service is even better. We are in are late 40s early 50s, and yes some of the crowd is young and like to party, yet so do we. They did not bother us, just move to a different part of the pool area if the noise is offending. They actually made us laugh, along with many others around the pool, you have to remember they are on vacation also.

The time share people tried to get me to buy in, yet I have been thru this before, but on this vacation I wasn’t in the mood for the pitch. I let them know it and had no issues with them. I did talk to a couple that did listen to the pitch and they had to get rude with them to get out of the meeting (Do you not understand the word NO) then they were at the pool sipping a cool drink.

You can walk a long way on the beach each day for enjoyment, as for the vendor’s just say NO, and they leave you alone. The ocean was red flagged everyday, yet we had fun trying to survive the waves. The shows at night are fun, this is not Vegas, but it is entertaining. The activity guys are the best! They are very funny and keep the party moving all day and night. The food is good. Breakfast is very good, made to order omelets, fruit, pancakes, eggs, etc.

The beds are hard, yet different from home, so we adjusted. We bring daily gifts for the maids and have fun with that.

I would recommend this place, dollar to peso, any day of the week. Very relaxing and the location is the best. Take a cab to the marina and downtown or you can walk to downtown (30 Minutes). Do not get the online transportation from the airport; grab a cab, $6.00 American with tip.

This place is very clean and the service is the best. The accommodations are a bit dated, yet, I spoke to many people that have been to PV many times at different places, and they would come back to Canto del Sol.

We talked to some people that found an English speaking cab driver and gave him $20 American for 1 hour. We called him (he speaks English) and met him across the street from Canto del Sol and he took us wherever we wanted to go. We suggested the jungle and a true Mexican living environment. We had a blast, were very shocked and pleased that we were able to see the true Mexico where excursions will not enter. A city tour seemed boring to us, so didn’t do it and very happy we chose this cab ride instead. We shared the cab with another couple we met at our resort.

I did tip and felt good about doing it.
Adios Amigos!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank WisconsinBulldog

Reviewed 13 March 2010

My young family and I just returned from Mexico and stayed at Canto Del Sol-first time visitors to Mexico so did not have much to compare with but we did enjoy our stay there. The first night was horrible as we were given a room on the 3rd floor that separated us from our neighbours by a door. We had to endure cigarette smoke seeping under the door and partying by some younger people. We complained and the front desk promised to stop the noises but we were too tired and fell asleep before it was quiet enough. The following day we asked to be moved to a less noisy place which they did and it was much better.
The food was great-we always had something we liked in the buffet. Because we always tipped the waiters, they were looking out for us whenever we approached the restuarant area.
We found the employees in all areas extremely friendly and always willing to go out of their way to offer a service.
The night entertainment is what you do not want to miss-my children always looked forward to the the variety shows-that range from Mexican, Carribbean and Western among others.
The kids club was equally great....they had varied activities that included doing crafts, aqua sports, movies among others. The kids helper had a special way she connected with the kids and they always looked forward to spending the bigger part of the day with her.
We found the pool area closer to the bar attracting younger adults who drunk heavily and at times used a "not so kids friendly" language. Therefore this is an area to avoid for kids. We made sure that our kids swam on the opposite end of the pool.
I also found the hotel's time-share staff a little "pushy". The staff that made the time-share presentation was unprofessional and was extremely upset when we did not buy their time-share.
Kids comments: My sis and I enjoyed all the food and the activies at the kids club. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank KAVC
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed Feb 28-March 7, would go back in a heartbeat!

The beach is narrow and yes, there are a lot of vendors but if you say no and ignore them they'll leave you be. Red flag was up the entire time and waves were huge. According to a friend we made (whose been going for years) it's the worst he's ever seen it. No worries though, the ocean is freezing anyways and the pool at the Canto is delightfully warm, don't feel like we missed a thing. Considering we paid $698+tax each it was great value. I wouldn't pay a whole lot more than that or it wouldn't be worth it.

The food, I'd say is typical of an all inclusive; it sucks. But there is always something to eat (omlett bar and eggs for breakfast, stir fry bar for lunch, tacos for dinner...). It is also easy to get into town, not to mention a yummy taco stand across the street (you can order up a taco for 12 pesos, about 1 dollar canadian).

The hotel offers up free internet use and free WiFi (only in the lobby, but worked on our balcony too).

Took the bus, (a bit wild, but definitely safe for weary travelers) south to Mismaloya beach. A bit touristy but very nice. The beach there is also warmer and less rough, great for a swim!

Overall the staff was fantastic, location great, service was fantastic (See Jose Luis by the pool, best waiter there!). It's not a 5 star, so don't expect it. But, this place is a palace compared to any 4 star I've been to in Cuba! Our room was very roomy and renovated (280) on the quieter side of the hotel. Beds were firm but very comfortable.

Be sure not to miss the 75 minute massages across the street for $25USD, such a deal!!

Also; for the younger party crowd; bar closes at midnight but you can order room service (free, but tip) to you room (beers, chips and club sandwiches). The dancers take a group out every night to a different night club or bar and charge $35-$45 for transport and cover, DON"T PAY IT (or negotiate less). If you want to go, just leave earlier in a cab (for 50 pesos ($5) and get there before they start charging cover (ie: go for dinner at senior frog's to avoid massive covers charges and don't waste your money buying the open bar, beers are only 35 pesos).

Hope I can get back down next year too!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank Katyskates
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I recommend this hotel for those who don't have big expectations. Service is nice, staff is nice also! not too far from downtown 60 pesos a taxi!! beach is beautiful! Food is ok really basic.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank FlightAtten
Reviewed 7 March 2010

room was ok, food was below average,booze is booze. Not alot of extras, but at least we were not overcharged.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank freezbaby
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Loud, smoky, rock-hard beds, a crowd pools with "activities." (Forget about actually lap swimming in the pool.)

Spend a few more bucks and check into the Marriott Casamagna for the vacation of a lifetime. Cantol del Sol should be rated 1.5 stars, ranking it a three-star hotel is false advertising.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jpinwestseattle
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I read many review on the Canto del Sol before our trip. i think the one titled 'it ain't the Ritz' best fit the property. I think the property is around 30 years old and would compare it to a Best Western in the US. They have updated the rooms and our room had a flat screen TV.

I would say there was only 3 things we didn't like about the stay.
1. The beds and pillows were hard as a rock. I have been in the hotel business for 20 years, so I have seen a lot of different mattresses. I didn't bother to look at the brand, but it was too firm for my taste. If I had to do it over again, I would have went to Walmart on the first day and bought a thick mattress pad and just left it behind when I left.
2. Our room had a connecting door (which I think most of the rooms do). The first few days of our 6 night stay there was no problem. Then we had new guests check into the connecting room. The connecting doors don't have any type of seal or sweep, so you can hear noise from the next room. We did not have an issue with noise, but every morning at 5am the guest would light up a cigarette. The smoke would go through the cracks and into our room which would wake my wife and I up every morning. I did not complain to the front desk, so we just put up with it. All the rooms are supposed to be non smoking of course.
3. Air conditioner in the room was extremely loud. Again, I didn't ask the front desk about it. I think all of them are that way. it was just the fan speed. it didn't have a thermostat. just high/medium/low. if your are light sleeper, this could be bothersome. too me it just ended up being constant background noise that you eventually got used too. While AC was on high, you had to crank the TV up to almost full volume to hear it.

The pool area is great!!! We spent a lot of time at the Pool Bar. Pablo the bartender did an incredible job serving us. Don't expect to find a huge selection of alcohol.

The buffet restaurant had average food. We had great service from Raul who took care of us on a daily basis. We were only able to eat in one of the A la Carte restaurants which was the Mexican theme. Good Mexican food. Avoid the Grille A la Cart - didn't hear one positive comment while I was there on the food from the Grille.

If your room does not have a fridge, one is available for a daily rental of $25. If you are there for 2 weeks, may be cheaper to go to Walmart and purchase one.

After check-in, they send you across lobby to a desk to get more "information" on the hotel and amenities. This is where they try to get you to sign up for time share presentation. They offered us 2 hour massage, $50 credit in lobby jewelery store, and a certificate to come back and stay for 4 nights/5days. They also tried to get our credit card number. NOT HAPPENING! Be prepared. If you don't mind wasting a couple hours of your vacation for these extras, go for it.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the hotel. I wish we could have slept better, but overall the property is good value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple