“Good location great staff”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Second time to Puerto Vallarta this year. Had not stayed here before but were meeting up with 15 relatives and friends from B.C. When first arrived we were given a room right next to the construction. Noisy and very dark. We asked to be moved and the next day they were as good as there word. Moved to a room overlooking the pool and ocean on second floor. Just great. Food was good and no one went home a few pounds lighter. The steakhouse is a must try restuarant. The prime rib is great and service was as well. If you want to go on excursions and not pay for them then go and listen to the time share pitch for 90 minutes and you will be surprised at what they will give you. All in all a great stay and Puerto Vallarta is an amazing place for a holiday. Second time this year and I am thinking of going back again for a week in April with my sister. This time I might try the Tropicana. It is only a 2.5 star hotel but once again the price is great and all the reviews are as well.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sussiMilton_Ontario
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)

Reviewed 18 February 2011

We stayed at this resort for 10 days. We cannot say enough about the friendliness and accomodating people. It seems as if they could read our requests from our face.

One problem though that diminishes the hard work of the employees.
Between 12 and 4 PM the music was awful and eardrum busting so was the person running the pool games. You could not converse with your partner or neighbor during that time.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dieterbecker6
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Overall a good experience, Food, service, location etc...all good. It was our first trip to Mexico, and we were able to explore the city from Canto Del Sol, made a great base. If you are on a budget and want to save money for excursions...That's what we did...perfect for that. If you want a 4 or 5 star...then find one...this is not it. We were not able to swim in the Ocean at the resort, but we did hang out at the beach during the evenings...Sunsets were beautiful...if you are a picky person...there is a lot you can be unhappy about...they are going through some updating...some things are unfinished (light fixtures etc). There is a big hotel going up right next door...did't bother us at all and we were on that side of the hotel. We felt very safe touring through the surrounding neighborhood, and Downtown.
Beds were rock hard!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Familyoffour2011
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Spent 2 weeks at the Canto. Great situation if you want to be in the middle of old Valarta. Nothing extraordinary, but everything you are looking for in this category and price fo accomodation. Clean rooms, nice pool, excellent service in dining rooms, good choice of food and beverages. Staff very accomodating. If you are not interested in time shares or RCI, just say so at the beginning of your stay and no one will bother you.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babyboomer45
Reviewed 10 February 2011

For the price it would be hard to beat. Food is decent. Always something a little different on the buffet. Orange juice at breakfast is outstanding. Tacos fantastico! The Italian restaurant was great. A little let down by the bar. Tap beer and limited liquor selection. Lots of beach vendors on a sometimes rocky beach. Surf hits hard - not the best for body surfing. There was construction going on next door, but it never botherd us.
Hotel staff was great.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kirt2112
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My 15 year old daughter and I travelled to peurto vallarta from Jan 29-Feb 6. After reading many reviews on trip advisor I finally decided on Canto Del Sol. We had a fantastic time...the hotel grounds were kept very clean, the pool was warmed and clean, the rooms were clean and the maids did a great job replacing towels, face clothes and water daily. The nightly entertainment put on by the activity staff was entertaining and my daughter loved it. They were plenty of daily activities at the resort as well....beach volleyball, water volleyball, water aquacise, daily contests and the staff was very friendly and eager to make sure you were having fun! the all inclusive was great mostly for the drinks, which were very generously poured...almost too strong for me....the food was a little bland and after a few days we found ourselves eating out. All in all it was a great trip and I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank babs-in-regina
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I stayed at Canto del Sol for a week. It was one of the less expensive hotels in Puerto Vallarta. Overall it was pretty good..
CHECK IN
Everyone knows Puerto Vallarta is a hotbed of timeshare sales, which is annoying, but was it extremely annoying about Canto del Sol is that in order to get your towel card, you are forced to talk to the time share people. I told them up front I had no intention of purchasing a time share, but they want you to go anyway, they gave me 2 free 1 hour massages plus a city tour. As soon as I went to the timeshare presentation, I also explained I had no intention of buying, but they still want you to take the tour and listen to the 'deal'. Anyway, at the end, when I said no, I was not interested, the manager told me that I should never have agreed to attend the presentation if I had no intention of buying! Really??? Anyway, if you are going to do this make sure they agree to give you lots of free stuff (don't settle for just a discount of something on the city tour).

ROOMS:
The room was clean and had two double beds as well as a small table with two chairs. I had the 'garden view' on the main floor which is really just a some trees in between hotels. The room had a patio but really, there was no point sitting out there. There was a small kitchen area which was nice, with a sink, all kinds of pots and pans, and a small fridge. The air conditioning was quite noisy, it sounded like there was something loose rattling in it. The towel service was kind of sporatic and strange - some days, you get two towels, some days, three. A couple days I didn't get a bathmat. There is only a shower (no tub) in the room. My major complaint about the room was there is a door to the adjoining room. There was no soundproofing at all between the two rooms. I could hear the guy snoring through the door! Also didn't seem very secure - I could open my door, presumably so could the other people so that kind of freaked me out - in most hotels you need a key...

POOL/BEACH
The pool and lounge chairs are great. I reserved my chair when I woke up, but there seemed to be enough chairs to go around. The pacific ocean has a very strong undertow, so I did not expect to swim in the ocean, but the beach is VERY small. There is a tiny area for lounge chairs on the beach, which is suposed to be cordoned off with a rope from the vendors. The vendors just stand right at the rope and stare at you. The area fits about only 15 - 20 lounge chairs at the most - that is how small it is. If you plan to suntan, plan to stay by the pool, don't bother with the beach.

SERVICE
The bartenders and servers are very nice. There is always someone coming around the pool asking you if you want a drink. The waiters are kind of annyoing - especially because I was a single woman travelling solo - they always ask you where your husband is... Tip to the single female traveller - tell them your husband is (a) in the room not feeling well (b) unable to come on the trip for some last minute emergency or (c) at home with the kids. Otherwise the waiters flirt to the point of sexual harrasment which I do not appreciate!

CHECK OUT
My flight left late, and I asked for a late check out. Unfortunatley, they did not have any extra space - and it was going to cost $75 US!!! Anyway, they told me there was a place I could shower and change before I left. What they failed to tell me is that you have to book this with the bellboy, so when I went to do this on the last day all the time slots were taken.

GYM
The website says this place has a full serivce gym - this is most certainly not the case - there are two exercise bikes (the electrical kind with the giant seats, not the spin kind), but only one has pedals. The other one is so old all the buttoms are worn off, but it works. There are a few free weights, and some plates and benches. Fortunatly Golds gym is right across the street and you can buy a membership for $350 Pesos for the whole week. The tennis courts looked really nice.

FOOD
Everything is cooked in WAY to much oil. They do a theme night every night - italian, latin, french, mexican, asian, etc. They should stick to Mexican - I think that was probably the best night. The food at the snack bar is pretty good - burgers, fries, etc. You don't go to Mexico for gourment food. The drinks are good - they have very good beer here - good cold draft - not the cheap warmish bottled beer that some of the Puerto Vallarta hotels have.

OVERALL
Overall, this hotel is a 3 star at best. If you can get a good deal and you just want to sit by the pool and relax for a week, go for it. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SoloGirl888