“Great neighborhood bed and breakfast perfect for fun and relaxation for gay men.”
Review of Villa David

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villa David
New York
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I stay here every year. It is very comfortable and relaxing and beautiful. The breakfasts are huge and the company soon become friends. The moonlight on the ocean the other night was amazing. The staff is wonderful and Bill tells the funniest stories. You just have to stay here!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank printsNewYork

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I cannot praise Villa David highly enough. The place combines tasteful serenity with traditional Mexican design. The pool areas is beautiful. Everything is incredibly well maintained. The rooms are stylish and spacious and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts are delicious. And Bill and David are the ultimate hosts. On this trip, they invited all guests to their apartment for drinks and appetisers before taking us out to dinner and to some bars. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Matt B
Hawaii
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This is a clothing-optional men-only gay bed and breakfast in the Centro area. It is about a ten to fifteen minute walk down cobble stoned streets to get to the touristic areas of the Zona Romantica. This was an issue for some people we met, who wanted to be closer to the action. For my buddy and I, this was perfect.

The breakfasts were large, and very American. That was the only downside - I wanted my chilaquiles in the morning! But otherwise, this is the place I would choose to stay in when I return to Vallarta, without question.

There were fewer restaurants in this area, but they were of consistently higher quality than the Zona Romantica.

The complaints here are a bit odd. Yes, people hang out on the street at night. But this is actually a [i]quiet[/i] neighborhood for Mexico. Don't come to this country if you don't like noise!!! The dogs were hella cute.

We were there at the beginning of high season, and there were only a few couples here. It was very quiet and relaxing. I imagine it would be much more lively with a full house.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michael C
Oklahoma city
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The villa is beautiful once you enter but the street noise is unbearable. Situated on the mountain up from town in a neiborhood that has lots of inconsiderate neighbors, who party in the streets at all hours of night, and the owners dogs who wake you promptly at 8:00 am. If you are looking for proximity to the gay beach or bars look else where the hike is more than 20 minutes down stairs and cobble roads, the hike home is 30 minutes plus. Nice work-out for your calfs. The owner Bill is accommodating and helpful, however the staff member who offers massage, Aldobrto, behaved inappropriate with my husband, even when it was forbidden. The rest of the staff was truly professional. Unfortunately we can not return do to the behavior of one staff person. :(

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tim F
JoePV, Owner at Villa David, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Of course everyone has a noise level they can tolerate. This guest did mention the noise,the walk to the beach, etc etc. We are in a neighborhood and we are up on the hill where the views are. We don't try to hide that fact anywhere. As to a 30 minute walk, it's all in how you walk I guess. Once the dog barking was mentioned, they were put in the office in the mornings until much later. I believe I upgraded them-for free- to the largest suite. This does have windows that overlook the courtyard and the dogs will bark at times. I always advise closing the windows when going to bed here. The cool breezes are nice, but we are very close to the town center. I guess they didn't heed this advice. One of them also put the vase of flowers that was in the room out in the hall because they didn't like them.

Here I must say this, Mexico is a noisy country If you want total quiet and traquility, I don't know if this is where you want to visit. If you are out of town, sure. But then it's much longer to the beach. It's like any resort city, there is a level of noise because people are partying. I've stayed at resorts here in PV and been awakened at 8am by aerobics in the pool, so what can I say? Don't sweat the small stuff I guess.

What I view as inappropriate and uncalled for is the remark about our massage person. He has been with us for nearly 13 years. Never in the all this time have I ever gotten any feedback like this. Most people comment on how professional he is in a town where most of the massage people are not. Most don't even go to school-he did.

The guest brought this advance charge to my attention when they were leaving. Then by email. I had already spoken with Adalberto and gotten his side of the story by the time I got the email . His was a bit more believeable. They both made advances to him, one was put off a bit sooner than the other, Hence the review. I think if it would have been reversed, there would have been no negative review. Given Adalberto's history with me and the level of trust we have, I chose to believe him even though the person was demanding I fire him. I will not fire anyone without giving them a chance to defend themselves even if I have a rule against this sort of thing. Unfortunately I have to judge sometimes. Given the whole tone of their vacation, I chose not to let him go.

I must say that to put something on a page like this is in the worst possible taste. I hated responding to it . I cannot imagine putting my relationship problems out there for everyone to see.
Wilton Manors, Florida
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at Villa David ten years ago. I don't understand the negative reviews. We met the most wonderful staff imaginable and it was definitely one of our top 2 vacation spots (which is to say lots since we travel at least 12 times a year). The friendships made here are ones we will cherish for a lifetime. The breakfasts are FANTASTIC. Mike and Jim from MN remained in touch until a year ago. When we were in MN we made certain to see them. The only reason we stopped communicating was that our address book was eliminated so lost their address when we changed email addresses. Bill and David were the BEST hosts possible. The nights we spent driving around PV in Bill's Cadillac were truly moments to remember. I will not be able to return since I had surgery which left me unable to walk and I would not be able to enjoy any of the wonderful sights. Bill and David, thanks for a wonderful experience that we will never forget. Remember Sveeties we think you are the best.

Room Tip: We are prejudiced but the SVEETIE room is our favorite as it was named for us following this wonderf...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We wanted to do something special for our 25th anniversary. Originally, we wanted to do a cruise, but our schedules were too tight. We're a little tired of the unwelcoming attitudes in the Caribbean.

So the husband surprised me by finding this amazing jewel and planning a surprise trip to Puerto Vallarta - a first trip for both of us. I was hesitant because we'd made a stop in Mexico on a cruise at Cozumel, and it wasn't a great experience. Would the husband come to love Mexico as I do?

From the outset, we had wonderful communication with Bill, the owner. He set a fabulous tone and gave Dean great suggestions on how to navigate our way around. On arriving at Villa David, we were greeted by Adelberto, who gave us a full tour of a gleaming, spotless and surprisingly up to date complex. We're talking crystal chandeliers, not the typical hotel plastic stuff. There's a tremendous amount of pride in the Villa.

Dean surprised me with a stunning bouquet of flowers in our room, and it says quite a bit about the Villa David that each day, as some of the flowers died that the flowers were rearranged, the dead ones removed and the bouquet's beauty maintained.

The pool and hot tub are spotlessly clean. It seems as though Adelberto never stops cleaning. The man is a blur of activity, but always helpful and very charming. We were asking him for advice on how to get our hot tub as clean as he keeps the Villa's - it's just that spotless.

We requested a room with a view of the Malecon, which of course means a little more street noise. But you're in a neighborhood that's vivacious. Even as a complete insomniac, I had no trouble at all sleeping. It's a wonderfully walkable area, and the Calle Galeana is a lovely hill, terraced with stairs the entire way down.

We'd planned on spending a lot of time down at the Blue Chairs Beach, but we never made it once. It was so much more convenient and relaxing to lay out by the pool, the hot tub or up on the roof and just follow the sun. Okay, I confess I loved being able to sunbathe without a swimsuit.

I have some serious diet restrictions, but there were no challenges for me here. Every morning, the breakfast were delicious, hot, and gorgeous. We've stayed in B&Bs for years, and we've been a little spoiled at the higher quality of food. This was a totally different level yet. Bill and his team really do set a gold standard for hospitality. Most hotels strive for a level of quality, but achieve it through impersonality. The Villa David achieves its goal with a high degree of personality and warmth.

Out of the blue, Adelberto invited us to go to lunch to a place on the Rio Cuale with another guest one afternoon. We spent the afternoon having a wonderful lunch, touring the city and visiting several of the local hotspots and ending the evening seeing a local show. We hadn't planned on any of this, but it's the kind of impromptu conviviality that you experience at the Villa David.

The three little dogs are very sweet, one might lick you if you're friendly. They don't bark, but they might let you pet them. There's a cat who will regally ignore you.

Our fellow guests aren't "hotel guests", I think another review hit it just right. They're travelers who enjoy the experience of meeting other gay couples. Villa David becomes an excellent lodestone in building new friendships.

If you've wondered about Puerto Vallarta or whether a vacation in Mexico is right for you, I highly recommend a vacation experience at the Villa David. My husband is now as big a fan of Mexico as I am, and we are both anxious to return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellipticalgeek
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I and two friends of mine just returned from a three day weekend at Villa David, Puerto Vallarta.

The three of us got two rooms after much discussion about the trade-offs of staying at a Bed and Breakfast versus a full service hotel. As I have Platinum status with Starwood Hotels, we were weighing the pros and cons of staying in a room with two double beds in one of Starwood’s properties in Puerto Vallarta versus for almost the same price we could get two rooms at Villa David. That aside, comparing Villa David to other gay-oriented properties in Puerto Vallarta, another consideration, we choose Villa David for the following reasons:

• Lots of great Trip Advisor reviews – many happy loyal customers who have made it their “home” in PV.
• A clothing optional environment at the pool and Jacuzzi
• Proximity to old Puerto Vallarta nightlife
• Proximity to the gay beach scene but not “in the thick of it”

For my first visit to Puerto Vallarta and first visit to Mexico in over 25 years, I am really glad we made the choice that we did.

Villa David sits in old Puerto Vallarta in the foothills of the city, in a colonial residential neighborhood with cobblestone streets and real Mexico coming to life at every turn. Ladies play Lotteria, a Mexican bingo game, across the street from the Inn’s front door on certain evenings, as they have for years. It’s their home as it was ours during our visit to this city. Across the street from Villa David,
on Calle Miramar is a convenience store locals visit for daily needs and nearby are interesting restaurants, including a fabulous authentic Mexican restaurant “with a soul,” El Arrayan and a surprising, authentic French Bistro La Sigale. We had memorable meals at both establishments. The Villa sits at the intersection of Calle Galeana and Calle Miramar. Calle Miramar is a rather direct route to old Puerto Vallarta’s downtown, if you realize that where Calle Miramar ends it yields to steps, still called Calle Miramar, that take you up and down the foothills. Walking home at 3:00AM these staircases are illuminated to help you make your way. Walking casually from Villa David in 10 minutes you are in the nightlife district, and in 20 minutes you are at the beach near the Blue Chairs Resort and other popular beachfront destinations. It was nice to walk there and nice to return to a quieter, more authentic Mexican environment. It is not everyone’s cup of tea but it suited us just fine.

The morning of our departure for Puerto Vallarta an email from the property reminded us of directions to Villa David for us to give to the taxi driver, which was nice to have along with all the other things you are checking you have in place before an international trip. Upon our arrival at Villa David we were greeted by Bill, one of the owners. He gave us a tour of the property, and showed us to our rooms . In each room is a book the proprietors hope that you will read. It gives honest advice and recommendations for the independent gay traveler to this popular city.

We made our reservations over four months in advance, but found the Inn to be about 50% full during our visit, which according to the other guests we met while there, is somewhat unusual. The pool at the bottom floor gets sunlight during a few hours of the day, and is a great place to cool off after returning from the beach. There are three floors at Villa David, and on the ocean side of the third floor is a hot tub with a view of the Pacific Ocean. My travelling companions had room 1, a very nice room with a large bathtub/shower, skylight, and balcony overlooking another cobblestone street. Adjacent to rooms 1 and 2, but accessible to all, up a spiral staircase, is a rooftop sundeck with lounge chairs, and a gentle breeze passing overhead, which despite the heat of the summer, stills cools the air according to locals that I’ve consulted. I stayed in a less expensive room with a King Bed, room 8, on the lower floor, which was quite large and comfortable, more than enough for one person, and perfectly suitable for a couple as well. There was some street noise on a Saturday night, neighbors having a party or cars driving by playing their music a little louder than they should have, but you are in a neighborhood, not a resort area. Think about this before you make the decision to select Villa David.

In each room is a book the proprietors hope that you will read. It gives honest advice and recommendations for the independent gay traveler to this popular city. There is a living room with a computer, in case you did not bring your laptop, where one can read a book or just relax, and a landline phone for telephone calls to the US and Canada. There are no telephones in the rooms. Nearby is a breakfast room where each morning eggs, a breakfast meat, and a starch such as French toast, cooked potatoes, or blueberry pancakes were available, along with fresh fruit, pastries, juices and coffee. This substantial meal was available until 10:30AM each morning.

I was very impressed with the conscientiousness of the staff in cleaning our rooms; my suitcase was moved to a more appropriate location the first day allowing me to take advantage of more space in my room. My travelling companions were surprised and a bit embarrassed when they returned to find their dirty clothes neatly folded and organized, as was I. A safe is available in each room for one’s valuables and on the wall an iron and ironing board was also available.

Three Pomeranians and one cat also make up part of Villa David’s family, it’s nice to emerge from the swimming pool and be greeted by kisses from a friendly happy dog, who also happens to be watching your every move at breakfast, hoping for that piece of sausage to fall to the floor. They help make Villa David place your home during your visit.

“The book” in each room reminds one of the plusses and minuses of staying at the B & B, and from reading it I can envision a history of rules and suggestions created from the poor behavior of certain past guests. Villa David is not a wild party place but a retreat. Treat it as such and you will leave with fond memories of Puerto Vallarta, a city whose citizens appreciate your visit and hope you do not disturb their culture and lifestyle in the process.

During our visit we met a lovely couple of 22 years who call both Florida and Long Island their home. Villa David is their destination in Mexico. They were visiting this time for a week, as were others we met. Flying home on the airplane I realize I didn’t give the city the chance it deserves, meaning I should have stayed a little longer. Next time I return it will be to Villa David, if they have space. Lots of people appreciate this special place, so if you like what I described, which I consider a true and honest account, I hope you will visit and enjoy this lovely place as I did. There is street noise, no phones in the room, and no front desk, but these details were not of a concern to myself and my travelling companions. A place where gay men who enjoy being travelers, not tourists, this is what villa David resonated to me. Take this little essay and do with it what you want, and visit Mexico, and relax. The people of Puerto Vallarta appreciate your business, your visit, and hope you will create your own paradise while not disturbing theirs.

Please don’t disturb the neighbors who live around this hidden gem, as you would not want to be disturbed while going about your daily life you live while saving up, and waiting for your next holiday. Instead say “Hola” and they will most likely appreciate your being polite. Just be respectful, and enjoy.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends