“TREATED POORLY BY THE RESTAURANT”
Review of Hacienda San Angel

Hacienda San Angel
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I am giving this place 2 stars instead of 1 because the food was ok. Unfortunately food is not the only thing needed to make a restaurant a good place to go. We were treated poorly by the owner and the staff.

We were in Puerto Vallarta for 6 nights and were planning where to go for dinner each night. We decided to try this place on Saturday night. My parents had been there before and said to make sure to go when the mariachi band is playing and try to sit by them. They told us that we must go only when the band is playing otherwise don't go. We went to our concierge and stood by as she called the restaurant to book a reservation for Saturday and to request that we are seated near the mariachi band. The concierge booked the reservation and told us they would seat us near the mariachi band if possible.

When we arrived at the restaurant we were informed that Saturday is the only night that they DO NOT have the mariachi band and our concierge should have known. I was right there when the concierge called and the restaurant never told her that mariachi band wasn't playing that night. The restaurant blamed this error solely on the concierge and would do nothing to help the situation. The owner wouldn't even speak to us. we were told we were out of luck sorry.

This place has officially lost my business. I go to Puerto Vallarta every year and will never go back. There are far better restaurants to choose from. you can see from reading previous reviews that the owner obviously doesn't care about her customers.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank AJ D

Reviewed 4 November 2012

The most beautiful place we've ever stayed! A huge, open complex of old mansions, filled with stunning antiques, statues, paintings, trees, swimming pools (3 of them!), and extremely friendly staff. Theron and Juanita were very welcoming and helpful, full of information, and spoke excellent English (helpful to us because our Spanish is lousy!) We stayed five days, and could easily have spent the whole time in the Hacienda, it was so beautiful and comfortable. But we were also only a few blocks from the Malecon, directly above the Guadelupe Church, and a few blocks from the island on the Rio Cuale, wonderful to explore on foot. Expensive, but definitely worth it, and we will go back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Crown View Suite, and thought it was perfect, though there are also more spectacula...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank drsteveallen
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Everytime you walk into the Hacienda the setting takes your breath away. The open air "lobby" is absolutly stunning. We stayed in Aug, the off season, so we did not get to experience the restaurant, the tradeoff was having the whole place to ourselves and a butler to bring breakfast in the morning and margaritas and guacamole anytime during the day. I was told at the front desk that a couple of other rooms were occupied, but we felt like we were the only people there. True, August is monsoon season, but we absolutly loved being able to enjoy the intense thunder and lightning storms from our room. This hacienda is actually more beautiful than shown in their photos, romantic, private, incredible.

Room Tip: Presidental has an amazing view and huge patio. For a really unique experience, I reccommend the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travelbunny10
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I decided to have one of my birthday dinners at Hacienda San Angel and the staff and property did not disappoint!!!! The property is stunning and the food was amazing. I sent a few emails to the event planner (Theron) and everything was a planned out flawlessly! When we (9 guests) arrived we were greeted with smiles and cocktails and very tasty appetizers. We were then given a tour of the property and then taken to the restaurant which was a covered outside area with AMAZING views of the city. The art and attention to detail on this property is almost impossible to describe, you really have to see it for yourself. Perfect for small to medium size groups and I would highly recommend it for intimate dinners.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 36Blaze
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed here for the last three nights of our honeymoon and it really was a treat! We were there in January 2005 and enjoyed the individual service in addition to the fact that the staff left you alone otherwise. We swam in the pools, had a lovely dinner there one evening and loved the afternoon band that played in the courtyard. I was glad we spent at least 3 nights there so that we had the time to enjoy the amenities.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Angel's Dome Suite with a private balcony where we had breakfast one morning. I...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hoosiers2001
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed in the San Miguel Suite as a birthday present surprise from my husband. The view is breathtaking and I felt like a movie star. All of the details were taken care of flawlessly, the staff was attentive and lovely. We had dinner at the restaurant below our room and were treated fantastically there as well with spot on food. This was our second visit to the restaurant and it does not disappoint. The front desk coordinated morning massages on our balcony and if anyone has had a massage in Mexico, they are simply the best! We will definitely be back. The love is in the details here.

Room Tip: We were able to view most of the rooms while there and none of them would disappoint me. However, i...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deanna B
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hacienda San Angel is far and away the best place I've EVER stayed!

I considered not reviewing HSA at all, because the next time I go I want it all to myself again! I'm worried my favorite room will be booked or families with obnoxious kids will be scurrying about... but this place deserves the props so here goes!

Every detail, from breakfasts with Carlos in the family-style eat-in kitchen, to the gorgeous grounds, phenomenal mariachi band in the evenings and 6-trillion thread-count sheets that felt like heaven when we melted into bed, was sheer perfection.

I went with my new girlfriend and we felt like we were on a "Bachelor" reality show date! After staying there, I have NO IDEA where we could possibly honeymoon one day and have it be any more romantic & special.

Speaking of getting married, they have a chapel there that will blow your mind... the sweetest, most authentic old-school little chapel you ever saw with one whole side open to Banderas Bay and an amazing view of the fabulous church next door! I'm not Catholic, nor am I a big fan of making a big show of getting married (I'd rather put the money towards a house or something longer lasting), but I would feel honored & very lucky to get married there!

This is not an inexpensive place, so don't go if you aren't ready to spend some serious coin... but I promise you, if you stay here, you will not regret your choice!

If you have kids, please do yourself and everyone else a favor and leave them at home. Go re-kindle your romance instead :)

I cannot say enough about this hidden treasure!

p.s. with all the horrible things going on in Mexico these days, we almost didn't go... but we felt much safer walking along the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta (local police were VERY visible) than we do walking around in Santa Monica on the 3rd Street Promenade!

Room Tip: We stayed in the San Miguel Suite which has the best views, a HUGE (like 600 SF) private patio and a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple