“Nice Hotel, dinning, housekeeping and breakfast/poolside noise disappointing”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #35 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“Nice Hotel, dinning, housekeeping and breakfast/poolside noise disappointing”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Most hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Although, I did speak withe the manager...each morning around 8-9am they clean pool chairs, tables, and surfaces..LOUD motor engine running in the mornings at the pool (where they also are serving breakfast) very disappointing if your want to enjoy a quiet morning and hear the ocean waves coming to shore. The manager, said thank you for telling me..and that was it..next Sat and Sun am, same loud motor running for an hour! Had nice room with beautiful views. I left the tv remote under the sheets to see if housekeeping changes the bedding...each night the tv remote was still under the sheets on the side of the bed I did not sleep on...so they did not give me clean bedding while I stayed there. Pool waitress, Azucena, was very nice and great at her job. The food in the dinning rooms were 90% very average. There were a few items every non and then better. The Hilton advertising there is a Sushi bar on the roof. ATTENTION: there is NO Sushi bar! Those of us who love Sushi and know what going to a Sushi bar is like..will be Incredibly disappointed to arrive on the Hilton rooftop to find 10 plates of a 2 inch, pre-cut Sushi roll, lying on a plate, under at plastic case..waiting for you. The soy sauce had a strong vinegar taste. Welcome to a little plate of 2" pre-cut Sushi roll, sitting out from 11am-10pm waiting for you.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean Rooms are on corners with 2 balconies of great views of the ocean and old Puerto Vallar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JerryCsd
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Attn. JerryCsd
We want to thank you for taking your time to shre you opinion on our service and installations
of your recent stay.
Your feed back is very important to us, please rest assure that we'll take immediate action
to improve our cleaning procedure to avoid the noice of the washing machine and specially
the food handling as the sushi preparation is done about every hour to offer fresh food.
Also we are working with our housekeeping staff to improve the rooms check procedure
to comply with our Hilton standars and respect by asking the guest is they decide not to participate in the inviroment protection program.

We invite you to consider to stay with us in the near future and make your stay a better experience.

Cordially

Jorge Villarejo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our first time visiting Mexico, we chose the Puerto Vallarta Hilton Resort. I am always slightly apprehensive about traveling because I have a condition called Celiac Disease. This essentially means an allergy to all bread products, wheat, rye and barley. This condition also caused lactose intolerance, meaning no dairy products either.

During our first dinner at the Hilton my husband and I were trying to explain my diet to the waiter and having no luck. We then asked to speak to the chef. Chef Fernando Tomasini came out to speak to us. He listened attentively to all my dietary issues and reassured me I would have no problem with my diet, during my stay at the Hilton.

We asked Chef Tomasini which items would be safe for me to choose from the menu. He explained that it would be easier for him to just make me something special, rather choose from the menu. He then inquired about my likes and dislikes. When my meal arrived the presentation was amazing. It was a piece of art and unbelievably delicious.

During the meal Chef Tomasini was very attentive. He returned to our table to be sure everything was alright. Then he asked if I would care for desert. I explained that not being able to tolerate flour or dairy, desert would not be an option. Chef Tomasini returned shortly with a delicious desert! I have not had desert in a restaurant in over five years. It brought tears to my eyes.

The rest of the week continued like this, with Chef Tomasini preparing the most beautiful and delicious meals and always with desert. At one point I told him I felt bad that he had to go to the trouble to make me something "special" every night. He replied "that is the only way I know how to prepare food, very special".

Our fellow diners were just as happy as we were. We could hear them exclaim at the artful presentations and wonderful flavor of their meals as well.

We had a wonderful vacation with no ill effects. Chef Tomasini has a very good grasp of food allergies. He is also a very skillful and talented Chef. We can only hope our paths will cross again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy_Carlson
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went here on a corporate incentive trip and had a very good time. Some of that may be due to the group itself, but the staff was very good. The restaurants were all good with some bordering on great. The drinks flow freely and the pool side wait staff do their best to keep up. Almost everyone speaks English at the resort so you may forget you're in Mexico. My favorite part of the trip was the hotel led activities. We participated in yoga, aquarobics, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, and more. The activity staff is really friendly and creates a fun environment, especially Carlos and Eduardo.

There are some really nice rooms in the newer building, but the older building is a bit disappointing, I would stay here again on a return trip to Puerto Vallarta

Room Tip: Try to get into the newer building, but this may cost more
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived to expectations of a Hilton branded hotel to find a general level of service more befitting a lesser brand. French restaurant failed on two nights to get orders correct and the primary buffet only had warm breads and pastries BEFORE they opened at 7 am. Yes, no coffee available before then and made our charter fishing lunch packing quite challenging. Seeing groups of guests returning from a run under the warm Mexican sun, pretend you have water bottles ready at the bellhop/doorman area at least. Actually provide new towels each day and if a guest uses the regular coffee in the room, don't replace with decaffeinated. When guests request a new towel since the old ones were not replaced, please don't require two calls. If you solicit Americans, encourage employees to attempt English communication and not just look at the guest. Last negative, Food choices in buffet should vary more daily. Positives, waiters that rocked: Nery on the beach- you were a delight and very attentive to everyone not just those tipping you. Esperanza - incredible smiling eyes, welcoming, warm and genuinely cared about each and every guest you served. You're tolerance of our poor Spanish and gracious nature made the week much better. Raul - you're attention to details and recall of guests preferences will continue to serve you well in whichever career you eventually embark. And Adan - amazing service and ran circles around many of the others. The only reason for two stars was because of these employees. Unlikely to recommend to others until I see improvement via Trip Advisor reviews after this post.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RunningResearcher
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Attn. MacKenzie GArfield
We want to thank you for sharing your opinion on our service of your recent stay with us.

Please rest assure that we'll follow up on every aspect mentioned in your comments to improve our service and food choices in our restaurant and details that for sure our guests will appreciate as per our Hilton standards.

We also thank you for your comments on the two service employees that provided you with the service you desire in a resort hotel.

We invite you to consider stay with us in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta, it will be an honour
to be your host hotel once again and have the opportunity to offer you a better experience.

Cordially,

Jorge Villarejo
General manager
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It clear the hotel management are upgrading the resort. They hire Fernando Tomasini a first class chef and business man to help upgrade the quality of the food and service and with Carlos Ulloa Chef now running the day to day operations. The quality and service of the restaurants are excellent!

The rooms have been upgraded and a nice clean hotel.

The hotel needs to still perform upgrade on the landscape and chairs and equipment around the pool, in short time I hope this location will become a standard Hilton!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Attn. Scott S.
I want to thank you for sharing your opinion on our service during your recent stay with us.
We also thank you for your positive comments on the level of service and quality that our Executive Chef and the Specialties restaurants Chef is providing to all our guests.

We really appreciate your opinion and be sure that I'll be sharing with our Chefs this.

We'll be working to improve our landscape and pool area, we are in the process to receive more new lounge chairs and umbrellas to offer better facilities.

We invite you to continue choosing our hotel for your visit to Puerto Vallarta, it is and honour to be your host hotel.

Jorge Villarejo.
General manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Part of me doesn't want to write this review as I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on this property as we will be returning soon. I have been a Hilton Diamond member for 6 years and have traveled to many of their hotels and resorts. We came to PV Hilton for spring break and this family vacation might have ranked as our best ever (wife and 2 kids). I had read many of the reviews on trip advisor before I booked and must say that I was a llitle apprehensive with all the negative comments that were made.

Staff- INCREADABLE! Very friendly and attentive and always had a smile on their face. I don't think we ever went more than 10 to 15 minutes without someone checking to see if we needed anything. I can't call them all out but a special callout to the bellboy captain Mauricio Sides, the best Hilton employee we have ever run across. This gentlemen went above and beyond to the point where he stopped myself and/or family every time he saw us to check on and make sure everything was to our liking. I can't say enough about these people. As a side note, something else we noticed is everytime my 10 year old "souvenir hog" tried to buy something from a beach vendor, security quitely walked over and stood near just to make sure all was well

Room- Again perfect. The room was well laid out and very clean when we arrived. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning everyday and I gave the "minifridge stocker" a special request when we showed up and everyday it was exactly what I asked for

Resort overview: Resort grounds were very clean and we saw staff working constantly on day to day maintenance so obviously this is high priority for the general manager. Something I saw people complain about on this site was the actual size being to small. It is the smallest Hilton resort we have ever been too and it was great! It is not like Hilton Waikiki Villages or Maui Grand Wailea where it is a sea of people and you have to fight for pool chairs, it is much more laid back and it's not a 30 minute walk to your room if you need something. One the aspects we especially loved is the staff was very engaging with the guests and there were daily activities in which they did a great job of getting everyone involved in. This meant by the end of trip not only had my kids made a ton of friends, alot us adults had gotten to know each other as well

Food: We owned our own restaurant for 13 years and as a "foodie" I will say the food was very solid. We ate at all 5 restaurants and if you are expecting high end 4 star meals your expectations are too high (I saw alot of people write reviews that the food was not that great). Service was great, large selection of menu items and even in the Sea Fire buffet we tried some things that were down right spectacular.

Overall: A vacation in which the memories will last a lifetime. We go on big vacations twice a year and everytime to a new location. While we sat at the airport to fly home both my boys (10 and 13) asked us if we could come back for our next vacation. Not only did we say yes but PV Hilton might end up becoming an annual vacation for us. Thank you PV Hilton!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Troy H
Lincroft, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just spent a week at the Hilton PV. The hotel is quite small but the pools are vey large and have easy accessability. Must rise early enough to get a shady spot by the pool or at the beach which is directly adjacent. Vendors selling their wares on the beach are not agressive and can easily be turned away.
The service is absolutely the best we have ever experienced. Pool.Beach Bar staff, expecially Raul who wears brightly colored sunglasses, bring so many drinks it's hard to keep up.

Our server for breakfast and lunch, Ivan Leon, deserves special mention. I have never seen a server work so hard. Hustle is his middle name. He is super friendly, always smiling, and he can't do enough for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a Junior Suite. It comes with a second roof top balcony with a private hot tub.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple