“Couldn't of picked a better resort!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #35 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Couldn't of picked a better resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My family and I were very satisfied with our experience at Hilton Puerto Vallarta. The rooms were very comfortable and kept tidy. The food was amazing, a variety of selections were available at the Sea Fire buffet. Our table waiter David Cazares took very good care of us during our dining's and was very attentive to anything we needed. We will definitely keep in mind staying at a Hilton on our next vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jasmine A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Polish first
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I would not stay here again. At first we had difficulty getting towels. The main restaurant had mediocre food some of the time, and the food was frequently not hot (or even warm). The food in the other three restaurants was good, but they were not always open. One waiter was outright hostile (in the French restaurant). Sometimes, the front desk was non-responsive to simple requests. Then, when reminded, they were un-gracious. The manager seemed to take care of food and other issues at the end, but considering the cost of this all-inclusive, I'd rather stay someplace else next time and not have to fight to get decent service. Note, the room was great, but the service is not what I expect from a Hilton for a gold member. We have never stayed in an all-inclusive before, and probably won't in the future. Al least then you can leave and get decent food when you want it. (There is an Outback Steakhouse across the street, but one is inclined to keep trying when the food is already pre-paid.). All-in-all, maybe 95% of the staff were A+, but a (very) few bad apples is not what you want on vacation. We wondered if the fact that this was all-inclusive caused some staff to feel that they didn't have to put forth any extra effort. Per instructions, we did tip for extra good service, but I don't think most people tipped much or often, and that can lead to morale problems.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite. The extra space is worth the small additional cost.
2 Thank BT20812
Saltillo, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We all really enjoyed our stay. The accomodations are nice.
The only bad thing was that we were going on a bachellorette party and our rooms were very separated from each other... and we would have liked to be closer.
Also the hotel is very family oriented. so great for kids :)
I guess if we would have gone on a different purpose this hotel would have been perfect fit.
The people working there are so nice and helpful!!

Room Tip: there are two towers... the rooms in the newst tower are better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Letieglz
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really enjoyed our stay. Nicholas took very good care of us at the pool, food was great! Good location. Food choices were very good and I always have difficulty with options for meals so I was super pleased. Will definitely put Hilton on my favourites list for my next vacation.

2 Thank Jaynieco
Aliso Viejo, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We booked a 3 night stay in April before we headed down to the house we rented in Mismaloya. I am a Hilton Silver/Gold member and figured that you cant go wrong with a Hilton and because of my Hilton Honors membership, thought we would most likely get upgraded. When we arrived at the resort the front desk staff was very kind and helpful. However she informed us there were no upgrades available but we that we had a very nice room with a balcony overlooking the pool/ocean. The room was average but the balcony was barely big enough for one person to stand on and certainly no room for chairs. Disappointing as we like to have coffee on the balcony in the morning. We were also told when we checked in that there would be an extra charge of $100 for our 15 year son for the all inclusive. That was fine except you would think that with the extra $100 we would be able to get more than two towels in our room. Every day we had to call the front desk to request more towels. Sometimes it took multiple calls and when they would bring the towels there would be 2 bath mats but no hand towels or wash clothes. On the last day my husband made them go back multiple times so that we had the towels that we needed. We tipped house keeping everyday in hopes that this would help but it actually seemed to make it worse. The other frustration was that our room was never cleaned before 5:30pm. Many times we would return from the beach ready to shower and go to dinner and house keeping would be in cleaning at 6pm. The restaurants were average at best and same selections everyday. However after our first two experiences at the restaurants, we were so disgusted by what we saw that we ate elsewhere for the rest of our stay. On our first visit we watched one of the servers clean the glasses outside on his tray. He had some type of liquid that he would pour into the wine glass, swirl it around and then pour that liquid from the dirty wine glass into the next glass and repeat. He would then take the same dish towel that he used to wipe the tables and chairs to dry the glass and replace on the table. Gross! Note to self, don't drink out of the glasses. The next morning we watched them do the same thing with a bucket of silverware. We were so disturbed by this that we stopped eating there. The front desk didn't seem to think that anything was wrong with how they cleaned their dishes. Interesting enough, my son and I both got sick with some type of virus while we were there. Coincidence? Maybe.... but I can't imagine that Hilton would be on board with those practices. The best part of our experience was the pool and beach service. Each day we sat in Raul Bozan's section and he took great care of us. He worked so hard everyday to make sure that we never had an empty glass. Given a choice, I would not stay here again and was glad we were only there for 3 nights. If you do stay, don't waste your money on the all inclusive. The food is average and the dishes not sanitary. The hotel is close to town and there are ton of great restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank miguelitofamily
Hector G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
I'm so sorry for your poor experience this week at our hotel. Please be assured I will be discussing your comments with our management team to work on immediate improvements. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously. I would be delighted to be of assistance in this matter if you would like to contact me at hector.guerrerohernandez@hilton.com
Again, on behalf of the staff and management - I offer our apologies.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

(We stayed here last June. Sorry we’re slow to review!)
We travel to Mexico every summer and like trying a new place each time. We always look for a few specific things when booking: modern/newness, beach/views, and food/drink quality. So naturally the look of the Hilton and the fact that it was so new really appealed to us. I always like a nice and thorough review so this one is pretty long.

When reading other reviews (for other resorts too), we think it’s funny that some people just can’t seem to relax and remember that they’re on vacation. Instead they seem to search for the smallest things to complain about. I guess if you hate life you’ll hate it even in paradise? We’re not those people. We’re a young couple that saves all year to go somewhere beautiful to eat, drink, soak up the sun and RELAX together.

<b>ROOMS: </b>
We were upgraded to one of the suites with a private rooftop area that had a hot tub, dining table, and lounge chairs. It was so nice and the view was incredible! It really bothered me that the door to our rooftop did not lock. (We called and asked and they said that they didn't have the keys from the previous owners of the resort or something?) Kind of strange but I just let it go and it was fine. Also, I never noticed a bad smell like someone else said. Bathroom privacy: good at least in our room. The toilet area was enclosed in a glass box but that was inside of the large bathroom that had a sliding door separating it from the room.

<b>FOOD: </b>
Again, we’re not super difficult people. As long as we can find a couple things we like and it doesn’t make us sick, we’re okay. We usually try to stay away from buffet resorts to avoid the latter (we both got super sick at a RIU). Here, we were pleasantly surprised for the most part. I would say the food was pretty good (I don’t think it should stop you from coming here).

BREAKFAST: Best part of the day as it usually is. We like straight espresso instead of reg coffee and they would always go and get it for us.

LUNCH: I am a very strict vegetarian (bf eats meat though) and sometimes it can be hard to ensure that my food is safe and to get variety. The guys at the LUNCH buffet were awesome! This is the only resort I’ve been to where they came to me and offered to make me anything I wanted! At a buffet! Our guy there (this is the problem with writing reviews so late, I can’t remember his name now) was great and remembered what I liked from that day on too. Thank you!

DINNER: Overall, I would say dinner was the weakest of the three meals. We tried all restaurants but the bbq (we knew it would be difficult for me). Our favorite was maybe the Mexican. But also the onion soup at the French. The Italian had the best view. Service was also best at the Italian, the manager somehow knew about my diet and was expecting us?

Unfortunately, I did get sick some on this trip. My stomach is very sensitive so I always expect to get a little sick when traveling out of the country, this was slightly more than I would like though. (still, not as bad as the RIU, there we BOTH got full on food poisoning). We think it was from the dinner buffet here at the Hilton because there was one night that my boyfriend also got pretty sick. Again, I don’t think it should stop you from coming to this hotel though. Overall it was good. Just be careful in what you choose, maybe avoid the buffet for dinner and only eat things that seem really fresh.

<b>ROOM SERVICE:</b> We ordered it a couple nights we were there, once because I was sick and again the night we went to the buffet and both got sick. It was pretty good, although they did mess up a few things. Also, kind of annoying that it’s “included” but still a small charge... (Obviously we tip anyway).

<b>DRINKS:</b>
Good! Again we’re not brand snobs or anything here. We usually asked for a double of whatever we were ordering and it was good. There were even a few times the mixed drinks ended up being maybe a little "too" strong and snuck up on us (me) later (ha). So no complaints here. They’ll get you whatever you want. I also really like champagne and it was available whenever I wanted.

<b>POOL:</b>
We were always able to find a chair in the area that we wanted (close to the beach). We also get up pretty early though (Don’t sleep away your vacation inside when there’s paradise outside!) I will say though this is the vacation that made us want to start going to adults only! There seemed to be a lot of kids there near the end of our trip and not only were they running around and taking up the pool with their floaties but they also constantly fed the birds! We would have never thought about this but I would say <b> this ended up being our biggest annoyance of the whole trip! </b> You could be sitting on a chair under an umbrella eating chips, the plate in your lap, and more and more birds would still start to slowly surround you… It was crazy! They were also just constantly swooping down over the pool. And it was all because these people feed them. Why?! We wished we took a video to show how the birds really take over the pool area. I think the hotel should maybe put up a sign. If people stopped feeding them there wouldn't be birds, feathers, and bird poop everywhere like another review said.

<b>ROOFTOP POOL:</b>
I never thought i'd say this but it was a little too quiet and secluded for us. There was just one small group of guests talking and drinking so it felt too awkward to get in. We went up there just once or twice and enjoyed the beautiful view but didn’t hang out there. Also like others have said, it’s not really a sushi BAR but little plates of pre-prepared little snacks. BF isn't a big sushi fan but still liked it.
<br>
<b>BEACH: </b>
The beach in front of the resort was very clean and pretty. We could always find a spot and an umbrella. A little calmer down there. Also, waiters were pretty good about checking on people at the beach but if not no big deal, just go two steps to the pool or bar. We got a cabana a few times (usually all were taken by VERY early am) and loved it, but at that time they were free (not smart for hotels to charge for them now. Not worth the little extra cash, your customers will talk!) The vendors are a little more annoying here than others I've experienced and can walk right up to your beach chair but just saying no gracias works. Security was also always present and aware, I was impressed.

Again, I wanted to be detailed in my review. But overall, it was a great trip and we would recommend giving it a try. The resort was so nice and modern. Overall, the staff was nice. Some okay, some incredible that made up for the rest. Be nice back and say thank you. Tip whatever you can when deserved because they do deserve it. The bird issue is our biggest complaint. So if you can ignore the crazy birds and choose your buffet food carefully you’ll enjoy it. And again, just relax— it’s vacation! Look at that beautiful ocean!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank aubspl
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked this all inclusive trip because we had a wonderful experience at the all inclusive Hilton in Montego Bay, Jamaica. My boyfriend stays at Hilton hotels on a weekly basis for work and is a diamond member. Unfortunately we did not have the typical Hilton experience. We had to ask daily for our room to be cleaned and to bring us towels. I called down multiple times one morning for towels and it took almost an hour for someone to come to our room. The Seaside grill had awful food and poor service. The food was often cold and often had flies on it. When we tried to make reservations at one of the restaurants onsite, they were booked for the entire week. Only after complaining about the poor service were we able to get into the French restaurant at 9 pm on our last night. Two of the nights we had to leave the resort and go downtown for dinner. The only thing we would recommend at the hotel is the spa. The hot stone massage was very relaxing and worth the price.Thankfully, we booked enough stuff off of the resort so we didn't have to suffer to much. Do not stay here!!

8 Thank Nicole P
I want thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Please be assured I will be discussing your comments of our housekeeping service and your review of our restaurantes with our management team, to work on immediate improvements. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously. I would be delighted to be of assistance in this matter if you would like to contact me at hector.guerrerohernandez@hilton.com
Again, on behalf of the staff and management - I offer our apologies. And hope you give us the oportunity to host you in again a near future.