“Wonderful Weekend “Away” in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rivera del Rio

Rivera del Rio
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Wonderful Weekend “Away” in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

As the summer began early this year and not having any AC or a pool at our home, my boyfriend and I opted to “Go Away” this weekend and treat ourselves to a mini-getaway and just chill-out…literally. I live here in Puerto Vallarta so I am familiar with most of the hotels in the area, but I had no idea such a gem was just a few blocks away. The Rivera del Rio is located on the Rio Cuale in the Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta and the area could quite possibly be named after this hotel. Romantic, majestic, Romanesque, unique, classically beautiful, delightful….there are so many words to describe the hotel because there are so many little details to be discovered around every corner.

Upon arrival, Diego greeted with a Margarita and gave us a tour of the hotel. We got a peek inside a few of the rooms they offer which were all very individually unique and all very inviting and romantic. Then he showed us to our suite that we splurged on and we were completely blown away!! A full kitchen larger than I have at home and sadly better stocked, a complete living room with cable TV, a formal dining table that could seat up to 8 guests easily, a guest bathroom complete with soaking tub and a bidet in addition to the standard shower and toilet, and finally a master suite with a claw foot tub and the most comfortable bed & bedding I think I have ever slept in. Wow, wow, wow is all I can come up with to describe it so I hope that is helpful to you.

We spent the afternoon in the rooftop pool cooling off and decided to order take-out as we did not want to leave the hotel. There is a hot tub on the roof in the evenings with a beautiful view of the hills surrounding the bay. Wine in hand, only the slight sound of the river passing in front of the hotel, this made for the most memorable mini-getaway.

The staff was excellent and made us feel so welcome and relaxed it was just perfect. In the morning my heart was breaking that we had to leave this paradise and go back to the “Real World”, but Chayo made us a lovely breakfast and was very sweet and friendly which made our departure a pleasant one.

If you are looking for something unique and off the beaten path, the hotel Rivera del Rio is my new number one pick in Puerto Vallarta. We will be returning soon and recommending this hotel to all of our friends and family. Thank you to everyone on the staff there that made our weekend so much more special and huge kudos to the owners of the hotel with their eclectic taste and attention to details that made the design of this hotel so unique and so very lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PakanaLa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had only a brief stay at Rivera del Rio, but it was certainly one of the more unique places I have experienced. From the Romanesque feel of the healing bath with the floating flower petals downstairs, to the rooftop jacuzzi offering a panoramic vision of PV while sipping on a glass of chilled local white wine, to the modern yet quietly Asian-inspired decor of the bedroom (in which I had the pleasure of staying), RDR builds a little fairytale quality into your stay. And the service I received was nothing but wonderful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank PinkPolkadotz
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This property is one classy converted huge Mexican home with several different themed room with around the clock service. I felt super comfortable staying at this diamond in the ruff. Located of the beaten path but still very close to all the action made me feel like I was really in Old Town mexico but still with all the luxury thrills. Loved the decor!!! It's a perfect balance between old school mexican beauty and euro influence upscale, creative touches. Loved staying at this unique villa and would definitely be back again :)))

Room Tip: I loved the red room <3
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank steven R
Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
When a celebrity like yourself uses the word campy I know it's in the right context. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us at the Rivera Del Rio and enjoy your travels around the world. We will see you next year if your high demand schedule allows!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

You know the house you've always dreamed of, where every room has a different aesthetic but everything is tasteful and artistic and beautiful? That's Rivera Del Rio. It's a completely different experience from the generic corporate hotels, but it still has the cleanliness and all the amenities. Everything is clean and spotless and the staff is wonderfully attentive and courteous. I highly recommend!

1 Thank joefranco_pv
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

First, lets start with what an amazing aesthetic that the Rivera del Rio has - it is like the perfect fusion of an indoor botanical garden with the surrealism of the Queen of Heart's chessboard, and accent pieces like those from the Palace of Versailles. AND, there is a rooftop pool with an outdoor bar, sun deck and hot tub. If this were not enough, the staff greets you with a margarita when you arrive and makes breakfast a la orden when you are ready to rise. But wait, we even got great deep tissue couples massages on site! If you are looking for a blow your mind B&B experience in Puerto Vallarta, this is the place.

Room Tip: The Scarlet Room is really cool and has the best view of the river and opposite hillside.
1 Thank James W
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel was amazing from start to finish. The hotel manager who greeted us was so fantastic. Even though we arrived earlier then expected, she made us margarita's, guacamole and gave us the grand tour. And when I say grand, I mean GRAND. This place is really neat, and impeccably decorated. Fun, and hip for sure. The rooftop pool and spa were the best spot and the staff is so helpful, its great. They really made you feel like you were VIP guests at home and that kind of service is so very rare. THANK YOU!!

They have bar/kitchen at the pool for you to use and it was so hard to leave! I love the fact this it is tucked away from the main strip, and you get to feel like you are a local when you stay here. It was so beautiful and quiet but close to everything! My only regret is we were not able to stay the entire week. We fell in love with PV city and this place had a lot to do with it. We will be back for sure! I can't imagine staying anywhere else in PV.

Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Being the owner and the usual operator I am rejoiced to read this review. I don't go out of town to often but to hear such lovely things said about your vacation at Rivera Del Rio and our Vacation manager, you might just inspire me to take another vacation :) In all honesty though it is so nice to know that things run great when I am not attending to all the needs of my guests and one of my trusted colleagues can. Hopefully next time I will be able to meet you. Thank you for your stay
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Alex,

Thank you so much for the wonderful visit. Please thank Chayo for the tasty guacamole, Margaritas, and breakfasts. None better on the planet. You all are so helpful and you made my stay in PV one that I won't soon forget.

The bed was so comfy I did not want to leave it, even tho Puerto Vallarta was calling me to play. I did so enjoy the jacuzzi & the rooftop swimming pool, what a wonderful way to spend the day or the early evening as the sun is going down. Thank you for setting up the massage and acupuncture sessions. They were wonderful.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: If you don't want a ground level suite, I stayed in the Carlotta which was wonderful. It had 2...