“I had never stayed at a B&B before and this establishment has set the bar high.”

Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Rivera Del Rio is everything you'd imagine from a boutique hotel and then some. The rooms are exactly what you see in the photos. The mural paintings, large open windows and matured vegitation throughout really gives a homey feeling. We stayed in the Candelaria Suite and it was glamourous. The bed was amazing, the bath was the size of a mini jacuzzi, we had our own terrace, kitchen and private entrance from the street.

Alex and Diego were key in making our stay in Mexico a success. They provided car arrangements from the airport, suggestions on authentic eateries, booked our excursions and were always available, day or night, with anything we needed.

I would recommend the Rivera Del Rio to anyone traveling to Puerto Vallarta. It is in the heart of old Puerto Vallarta and walking distance to the beach and fine dining. The large chain hotels can't touch the Rivera Del Rio!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lifeisagarden_digit
Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

We thank you for your kind words and our delighted being your first b&b experience that we might have stolen you from the large chain hotels! I'm sorry the tide was too high for the hidden beach but you'll just have to come back again :)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

During a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta I had the exquisite pleasure of staying at the Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel - a gorgeous villa converted into a luxurious collection of unique rooms and suites. This was a magical experience.

Because the villa represents the elegance of another era, it is easy to see this, not as a hotel, but the kind of home you have dreamt of.

I spent six nights in the Alejandro suite. When I first walked in I couldn't believe my eyes. The design and decor was amazing, and the suite spacious. The bedroom and living area are separate from each other and the sofa can be converted to a bed. There is also a fully equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, making it perfect for eating at home, or entertaining.

The first thing I noticed was the light, and the soft breeze that gently flowed in through the beautiful glass windows and doors that make up two walls of the room. However there are also good curtains for when you want privacy or to sleep late. A feature of this apartment is the gorgeous terrace with breathtaking views of lush hills and the colourful houses of the neighbourhood.

There is also easy access to the pool and enormous roof top hot tub via an exterior staircase.

This suite is up some flights of stairs though, so if you have mobility issues this might not be the one for you. There are however some wonderful rooms on the lower levels.

Apart from being uniquely beautiful, one of the best things about this hotel is that it is in a quiet neighbourhood overlooking the river. If you leave the doors open you can hear both the river and some birdsong. The neighbourhood offers a taste of the real Mexico that you won’t get by staying in the big all inclusive resorts.

If you want to be waited on hand and foot those resorts might be a better fit. However, if you want to spend your time exploring the cobblestone streets and restaurants of the old town and romantic zone, then the Rivera del Rio is definitely for you. I spent many wonderful hours wandering around the neighbourhood, watching tortillas being dried, going to the fruit market, listening to the church bells, getting my clothes washed at a laundry which is literally right around the corner, interacting with the local people, watching a man riding his donkey home. It is also an easy walk to the downtown area, the boardwalk and the beach.

The hotel is also right across from Gringo Gulch with its beautiful big colonial houses with trailing bougainvillea, red terracotta tiles and views of the ocean. It is definitely worth a couple of hours of strolling, with puffs of sea breeze and something interesting and beautiful to see around every corner. There are many steps though, but it is absolutely worth the climb.

I was a woman travelling alone and I felt completely safe at all times. But it is good to know the Rivera del Rio is also a flat $5 taxi fee from anywhere downtown, so if it is raining or you don’t fancy walking in the dark there are plenty of taxis willing to drop you home. And when I say home, I mean that. From the moment I arrived, to the moment I left, I felt like I was home. The owner Alex and manager Diego make sure of that. In fact I could see myself living there for months at a time.

That is because staying at the Rivera del Rio was like staying at a friend’s house. You have a key to the front door of the charming villa and come and go as you please. Alex and Diego are helpful, yet unobtrusive and happy to organise any activities you might want to do.

A Mexican breakfast is provided each day, and on arrival you are treated to a margarita and some guacamole and corn chips while you learn about the hotel and outline what you are interested in doing while you are there. Alex and Diego are also happy to make restaurant recommendations - and they are good.

There is excellent free internet all over the property.

For those of you who might be worried about visiting Mexico, don’t be. Puerto Vallarta is very safe; the dining options are excellent; and I didn’t get sick once, despite eating in places that in other parts of Mexico I might have thought twice about. The city is well accustomed to tourists and most people speak enough English to get by.

In summary, if you want a travel experience that is both unique and enriching you can’t go past the beautiful Rivera del Rio. It feels like stepping back in time to a more luxurious and elegant era - a time when Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton had a place just across the river and fabulous parties became the stuff of legend.

I know I will be back. And next time I might bring along a group of friends, because this legendary hotel is definitely the place to make lasting memories.

Room Tip: The Alejandro Suite was a dream room up on the roof with wonderful views overlooking the hills and n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank AussieLu
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed in Boutique hotel Rivera del Rio when I visited PV for work. It was a complete surprise entering the hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated with paintings and a lot of beautiful art craft from Mexico. The serve a great breakfast and the people working there are nice and helpfull. As a Representative for the IGLTA in Mexico I have been in a lot of gayfriendly hotels but Rivera del Rio is by far the best small boutique hotel I have stayed. Great internet, nice pool and roof terrace, just in the Zona Romantico of Puerto Vallarta just at walking distance form bars, restaurants, beach and shops. Its a place I would surely recommend to anybody who wants to stay in a graet place just in the zona romantico of Puerto Vallarta

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cortez Suite, I fully equiped suite, with two bathrooms a equiped kitchen, televisio...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A charming hotel in the heart of PVR's romantic zone. What feels like a luxurious retreat of a home is enhanced by the warm greeting and phenomenal service during the stay. With every room being unique and speaking a different character in decor to amenities, all carry the cleanliness and comforts of home. Authenticity carries throughout all the property's facilities from the picturesque outdoor pool to the roof top spa tub with a great view. Breakfast is served each morning which we missed out on but know it to be quite delish. Without a doubt you cannot be disappointed here, book without hesitation its guaranteed to exceed your expectations.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We are so glad that we have exceeded your expectations. You have raised the bar very high for us, which is a good thing. We would like to continually exceed the expectations of all of our new and return guests. We are continually work on ways to better our service while keep the atmosphere laid back and relaxed! We enjoy nothing more to exceed expectations with our pampered service!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Words can't even describe the perfection I experienced at Rivera del Rio. I stayed in the Scarlette room where the entire wall opens up to your own luxurious balcony with a view of the mountains and overlooking the river. The staff were like family and went above and beyond all expectations. If I'm ever back in Puerto Vallarta there is no doubt in my mind I'll be staying at Rivera del Rio.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Justin187
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my first vacation I had taken internationally and I had no idea what to expect. Alex had told me about his hotel and I was excited but really had no idea what to expect, I saw the pictures online but they really did it no justice to what I really had the opportunity to experience. From the pick up from the airport, greeting from all the staff and the owner once I arrived was more than I could have ever expected. They had someone take my luggage from the car to my room, had chips and salsa and a cocktail waiting for me upon arrival, it was awesome!! :) Then I was shown to my room which was beyond my expectations, nice comfortable bed, sheet were so soft, I could lay in it all day, The room was perfect for me. The pool was nice and bar right next to it. The staff was exceptional and was able to assist in almost all my request and were as friendly as can be and most importantly gave service with a smile (which for me is a big thing.) The staff was also great in giving me direction on how to get to different places in the city and I never felt like I was bother them. While I stay in Puerto Vallerta I never want to give another place a try, I love this place. Thanks you Alex and Diego!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We spent a fantastic 10 days at the Rivera del Rio in January. We loved being in the old part of Puerto Vallarta. It was a quiet street but with easy walks to restaurants and beaches. We knew we were at the right place when we were greeted with margaritas and guacamole upon arrival. The service was great throughout -- the staff was friendly and attentive in a quiet, unobtrusive way. I'd worried a little that the decor would be too over the top, but it is done very thoughtfully and provides a great refuge from the heat and crowds. The air conditioning worked perfectly and the breakfasts were outstanding. We highly recommend Rivera del Rio and will stay there again when we go back to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: We loved the Candelaria Suite which has a private patio adjacent to the pool area.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple