“Absolutely Breathtaking!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rivera del Rio

Rivera del Rio
“Absolutely Breathtaking!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

While visiting Puerto Vallarta for the first time, I stayed at the Rivera del Rio. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Diego, who ran instantly to the kitchen to make margaritas and guacamole. We then sat and visited in the main lobby (which is more like a cozy living room) and Diego explained the ins and outs of the B&B. The staff was amazing and offer a variety of choices for breakfast in the morning.

After a short tour, I was thoroughly impressed and amazed at how beautiful the Rivera del Rio was. All of the rooms have their own separate entrances and it is very quiet and peaceful compared to the average hotel/resort.

We stayed in the Candelaria suite and it was incredible!! It included a private terrace and kitchen upstairs, the room and bathroom downstairs. The bed is the most comfortable thing I've EVER slept in!! The room was a great size for two people and the bathroom has a tub the size of a jacuzzi!!! (Air conditioning and WiFi is also a plus) Truly amazing...

The location is perfect as it is only minutes away from restaurants, bars, shops, and the beach. The locals are very friendly and I felt completely safe in this. Also, if you're not big on walking, the taxi rides are a flat rate of 50 pesos ($5).

As an airline employee, I have many choices as to where I choose to vacation and heard through the grapevine that the the Rivera del Rio was the place to stay. I couldn't agree more and will definitely be staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank LinzM1632

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for our wedding night (we had a lot of family in town). We are a very fun couple so it was a perfect mix of romance yet still a fun atmosphere being next to everything in town. We will certainly have a honeymoon here ;)

• Stayed March 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Rivera Del Rio is everything you'd imagine from a boutique hotel and then some. The rooms are exactly what you see in the photos. The mural paintings, large open windows and matured vegitation throughout really gives a homey feeling. We stayed in the Candelaria Suite and it was glamourous. The bed was amazing, the bath was the size of a mini jacuzzi, we had our own terrace, kitchen and private entrance from the street.

Alex and Diego were key in making our stay in Mexico a success. They provided car arrangements from the airport, suggestions on authentic eateries, booked our excursions and were always available, day or night, with anything we needed.

I would recommend the Rivera Del Rio to anyone traveling to Puerto Vallarta. It is in the heart of old Puerto Vallarta and walking distance to the beach and fine dining. The large chain hotels can't touch the Rivera Del Rio!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lifeisagarden_digit
Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
We thank you for your kind words and our delighted being your first b&b experience that we might have stolen you from the large chain hotels! I'm sorry the tide was too high for the hidden beach but you'll just have to come back again :)
NSW Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

During a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta I had the exquisite pleasure of staying at the Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel - a gorgeous villa converted into a luxurious collection of unique rooms and suites. This was a magical experience.

Because the villa represents the elegance of another era, it is easy to see this, not as a hotel, but the kind of home you have dreamt of.

I spent six nights in the Alejandro suite. When I first walked in I couldn't believe my eyes. The design and decor was amazing, and the suite spacious. The bedroom and living area are separate from each other and the sofa can be converted to a bed. There is also a fully equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, making it perfect for eating at home, or entertaining.

The first thing I noticed was the light, and the soft breeze that gently flowed in through the beautiful glass windows and doors that make up two walls of the room. However there are also good curtains for when you want privacy or to sleep late. A feature of this apartment is the gorgeous terrace with breathtaking views of lush hills and the colourful houses of the neighbourhood.

There is also easy access to the pool and enormous roof top hot tub via an exterior staircase.

This suite is up some flights of stairs though, so if you have mobility issues this might not be the one for you. There are however some wonderful rooms on the lower levels.

Apart from being uniquely beautiful, one of the best things about this hotel is that it is in a quiet neighbourhood overlooking the river. If you leave the doors open you can hear both the river and some birdsong. The neighbourhood offers a taste of the real Mexico that you won’t get by staying in the big all inclusive resorts.

If you want to be waited on hand and foot those resorts might be a better fit. However, if you want to spend your time exploring the cobblestone streets and restaurants of the old town and romantic zone, then the Rivera del Rio is definitely for you. I spent many wonderful hours wandering around the neighbourhood, watching tortillas being dried, going to the fruit market, listening to the church bells, getting my clothes washed at a laundry which is literally right around the corner, interacting with the local people, watching a man riding his donkey home. It is also an easy walk to the downtown area, the boardwalk and the beach.

The hotel is also right across from Gringo Gulch with its beautiful big colonial houses with trailing bougainvillea, red terracotta tiles and views of the ocean. It is definitely worth a couple of hours of strolling, with puffs of sea breeze and something interesting and beautiful to see around every corner. There are many steps though, but it is absolutely worth the climb.

I was a woman travelling alone and I felt completely safe at all times. But it is good to know the Rivera del Rio is also a flat $5 taxi fee from anywhere downtown, so if it is raining or you don’t fancy walking in the dark there are plenty of taxis willing to drop you home. And when I say home, I mean that. From the moment I arrived, to the moment I left, I felt like I was home. The owner Alex and manager Diego make sure of that. In fact I could see myself living there for months at a time.

That is because staying at the Rivera del Rio was like staying at a friend’s house. You have a key to the front door of the charming villa and come and go as you please. Alex and Diego are helpful, yet unobtrusive and happy to organise any activities you might want to do.

A Mexican breakfast is provided each day, and on arrival you are treated to a margarita and some guacamole and corn chips while you learn about the hotel and outline what you are interested in doing while you are there. Alex and Diego are also happy to make restaurant recommendations - and they are good.

There is excellent free internet all over the property.

For those of you who might be worried about visiting Mexico, don’t be. Puerto Vallarta is very safe; the dining options are excellent; and I didn’t get sick once, despite eating in places that in other parts of Mexico I might have thought twice about. The city is well accustomed to tourists and most people speak enough English to get by.

In summary, if you want a travel experience that is both unique and enriching you can’t go past the beautiful Rivera del Rio. It feels like stepping back in time to a more luxurious and elegant era - a time when Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton had a place just across the river and fabulous parties became the stuff of legend.

I know I will be back. And next time I might bring along a group of friends, because this legendary hotel is definitely the place to make lasting memories.

Room Tip: The Alejandro Suite was a dream room up on the roof with wonderful views overlooking the hills and n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank AussieLu
cancun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have stayed in Boutique hotel Rivera del Rio when I visited PV for work. It was a complete surprise entering the hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated with paintings and a lot of beautiful art craft from Mexico. The serve a great breakfast and the people working there are nice and helpfull. As a Representative for the IGLTA in Mexico I have been in a lot of gayfriendly hotels but Rivera del Rio is by far the best small boutique hotel I have stayed. Great internet, nice pool and roof terrace, just in the Zona Romantico of Puerto Vallarta just at walking distance form bars, restaurants, beach and shops. Its a place I would surely recommend to anybody who wants to stay in a graet place just in the zona romantico of Puerto Vallarta

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cortez Suite, I fully equiped suite, with two bathrooms a equiped kitchen, televisio...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

A charming hotel in the heart of PVR's romantic zone. What feels like a luxurious retreat of a home is enhanced by the warm greeting and phenomenal service during the stay. With every room being unique and speaking a different character in decor to amenities, all carry the cleanliness and comforts of home. Authenticity carries throughout all the property's facilities from the picturesque outdoor pool to the roof top spa tub with a great view. Breakfast is served each morning which we missed out on but know it to be quite delish. Without a doubt you cannot be disappointed here, book without hesitation its guaranteed to exceed your expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
We are so glad that we have exceeded your expectations. You have raised the bar very high for us, which is a good thing. We would like to continually exceed the expectations of all of our new and return guests. We are continually work on ways to better our service while keep the atmosphere laid back and relaxed! We enjoy nothing more to exceed expectations with our pampered service!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Words can't even describe the perfection I experienced at Rivera del Rio. I stayed in the Scarlette room where the entire wall opens up to your own luxurious balcony with a view of the mountains and overlooking the river. The staff were like family and went above and beyond all expectations. If I'm ever back in Puerto Vallarta there is no doubt in my mind I'll be staying at Rivera del Rio.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends