“One of a kind Boutique Hotel with Excellent Design and Service”

Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed in the Candalera Honeymoon Suite in Rivera del Rio. It was an unparalleled experience. We were greeted by Diego and Alex with welcome margaritas and a lovely chat about PV and the history of the hotel which in itself is worth the trip! Little did we know that we were staying in a little historical gem of PV.

The house-converted hotel is a feast for the eyes. Each room is hand-painted from floor to ceiling French Parlor style. Each room has amazing decor leaving no detail undone, including fabulous antique crystal chandeliers, brass and porcelain sinks, and our bathtub was out of this world! (As was the california king bed!) Our room had its own private entrance and could be used as a private unit, including our own kitchen and patio where we were served a delicious breakfast by Marcella and Chayo.

But our favorite part of the hotel was the mother of pearl imbedded Jacuzzi on the roof where we relaxed and watched a lightning storm in the far distance. We also relished the location, being so close to the beach and downtown. These words do little to describe the gem that is our new favorite place to stay in Vallarta! We just hope there is room for us next time because the secret is sure to get out!

Room Tip: each room is exquisitly unique but we loved the separateness of the candaleria suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

WOW I really enjoyed this place, I have been coming to Puerto Vallarta since I was 14 years old. Vallarta has changed a lot since I first started coming here but there is still some old charm left. This hotel had comfortable amenities (especially the bed) mixed with an antique funky style.  The staff was very friendly even though the breakfast staff does not speak English. This is a place to relax and explore the city, I had a massage that was so relaxing I didn’t do anything but decompress in the 360 viewed rooftop Jacuzzi. Thank you for keeping the quaint charm of Vallarta and not being your typical modern condo

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A unique experience - great, interesting decor and a fun proprietor to boot. Had a great time and definitely recommend. Hadn't been to Puerto Vallarta before and he was really helpful and fun letting us know where to go and how to get there.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Loved walking into this awesome boutique hotel, being greeted by Diego with a great margarita and guacamole and chips and then taken on a tour of the hotel. Stayed in the Scarlett room, which I highly recommend. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in with first class bedding and pillows. Accommodations included t.v., WiFi and air conditioning and quality essentials for the bath/shower. This room has great views of lush greenery through huge windows that open up to a large private patio. Wake up to a great cup of coffee ( I am a coffee snob) and choices of homemade breakfast can't be beat. Enjoyed reading a book in the quiet and relaxing pool during the day and using the pool bar area for entertaining at night. Rivera del Rio's location is in the quaint old town part of Puerto Vallarta. Walked to beach, restaurants, shops, nightlife and loved experiencing the true local life along the cobblestone streets. Felt very safe when I ventured out on my own as a single female, even late at night. Met some wonderful hotel guest who I hope to see again.Thank you to Alex, Diego and all who took great care of all your guests. Will return again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank j w
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Puerto Vallarta has been a beloved travel destination for many years. During a recent trip with a good friend, I stayed at the Rivera del Rio boutique hotel for the first time. It is beautifully and artfully appointed in a safe and secure neighborhood environment, yet walking distance to the beach, shopping, restaurants and clubs. Alex, the owner of the hotel, along with manager Diego, and cook extraordinaire, Chaya, insured that we received impeccable service from top to bottom. Every need and wish was met with a "can do" spirit and a smile. For example, when I had an upset stomach, Diego brought me fresh coconut juice which instantly made me feel better. And to honor our special request, Alex arranged for Chaya and one of the other cooks to give my friend and I a cooking lesson in our suite. We learned how to make enchiladas and guacamole. It was so much fun and we all dined together afterwards, enjoying our delicious meal. I will always cherish this memory!

Vacations are all about creating memories and in our case, Rivera del Rio delivered! I would highly recommend Rivera del Rio to anyone planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie S
Alexander A, Owner at Rivera del Rio Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Thank you for asking the girls to offer you a cooking lesson. They were honored that you enjoyed there breakfast that much to have them help teach you Mexican favorites! It was over the top surprising all of us by inviting us to eat the dinner they helped your prepare. You really turned the roles around on us taking care of us for an evening. Having an experience like that, Really makes us know that when you serve and care for your guests they give it back to the world :) Thank you for letting us serve you!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for many years and have stayed in different hotels. However, this boutique hotel is a gem. Just a few blocks from the clubs, beaches and shopping boutiques, nestled in the family environment of the area...very quiet and relaxing. From the moment we arrived, until the time we left, this was the best stay we ever had. Alex, Diego and the rest of the staff go out of their way to make every it all worthwhile. The welcome margaritas and homemade guacamole/chips are the best way to start your stay. Chayo does such a great job at making them and the complimentary breakfast helps get your day started. I plan to stay here each and every time I go to Puerto Vallarta. I can't say enough about how wonderful my stay was. I will be telling all if my friends and colleagues of this great place.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

While visiting Puerto Vallarta for the first time, I stayed at the Rivera del Rio. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Diego, who ran instantly to the kitchen to make margaritas and guacamole. We then sat and visited in the main lobby (which is more like a cozy living room) and Diego explained the ins and outs of the B&B. The staff was amazing and offer a variety of choices for breakfast in the morning.

After a short tour, I was thoroughly impressed and amazed at how beautiful the Rivera del Rio was. All of the rooms have their own separate entrances and it is very quiet and peaceful compared to the average hotel/resort.

We stayed in the Candelaria suite and it was incredible!! It included a private terrace and kitchen upstairs, the room and bathroom downstairs. The bed is the most comfortable thing I've EVER slept in!! The room was a great size for two people and the bathroom has a tub the size of a jacuzzi!!! (Air conditioning and WiFi is also a plus) Truly amazing...

The location is perfect as it is only minutes away from restaurants, bars, shops, and the beach. The locals are very friendly and I felt completely safe in this. Also, if you're not big on walking, the taxi rides are a flat rate of 50 pesos ($5).

As an airline employee, I have many choices as to where I choose to vacation and heard through the grapevine that the the Rivera del Rio was the place to stay. I couldn't agree more and will definitely be staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014