“Great Weather, Great Location, Okay Service”

Park Royal Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #79 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Santa Barbara, California
“Great Weather, Great Location, Okay Service”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Driving south of Puerto Vallarta you'll find the Intercontinental. We had a terrific rate of about $70 USD per night due to a friend being a member. Definitely would not have been worth the nearly $300 USD they were charging per night without membership.
From the first minute, the valet was helpful in getting our luggage (yet it was left unattended for a while, which I realized while we waited to check in). The tour company(?) latched on to us immediately and pestered us for about 4 of our 6 days there. Our towels were rarely replaced and the floor was dirty. Our room was cleaned every day when we were gone for breakfast (in PV).
The beach location was great. I went to purchase a magazine in the gift shop and the woman working was quite rude. There was also confusion about extending our stay another night, and although it was completely accepted, payment took about 15 minutes at the front desk due to errors in their system.
We would go back for the price and location, but the service has a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: We were on the lowest floor, which doesn't have a spectacular view as the upper floors, but stil...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Today is the last day in Puerto Vallarta at El Presidente Intercontinental. Probably our 10th time here and we had a wonderful experience. Sure, there are a few cosmetic/maintenance issues here and there, but I know from working in hotels myself that anywhere other than perhaps a Four Seasons, at an astronomical price, will have things that could be improved. Overall the place is beautiful, and the location is quiet and secluded. This is not the hotel for you if you want a 24/7 party - it IS the place for you if you want to relax and be treated like family by the wonderful staff. The pool bar is definitely the place to spend your day. Drinks and food are reasonable and very good - have Fernando make you a tamarind margerita. He is wonderful, as are Jorge and Carlos. Lamberto, Juventino, Rogelio, Roberto, Leslie - I could go on and on. EVeryone is efficient yet genuinely friendly. We will continue to come back!

Room Tip: Go the extra mile and spring for a jacuzzi room - higher floor, better view, very comfy!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Heriberto J, General Manager at Park Royal Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Melissa 1218,

Thank you very much for staying at our Hotel in the past few weeks and (and as well for the last 10 times!) your comments are definitly higly appreciated. We are very pleased to read that your stay was great and our staff took care of you, it is so rewarding to read their names, you can rest assure that we will recognize their work. Hopefully we can see you again soon, a Margarita Tamarindo is waiting for you at the Pool Bar!

Best regads,

Heriberto Jaime
Resort Manager
Kelowna BC Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Many reports on trip advisor were positive about the Presidente Intercontinental in Puerto Vallarta. So we were enticed by a 1000 point per night offer from the Priority Club.

We stayed three nights. We were upgraded to a very nice suite and were treated royally by the staff. Unfortunately my gold status did not include breakfast or any other perks other than a room upgrade.

The hotel is about 12 km south of Puerto Vallarta so we had arranged a rental car in advance. I susoect that the taxi fare from the hotel to town would have been in the order of $30 return. The one way from the airpiort was quoted in the range of $30 or more.

The hotel had a nice pool (unheated but reasonable) and a beach that had surf that was unswimmable when we were there because of the high surf.

Food at the hotel was very tasty and probably reasonable in cost but the beverages were a bit on the high side. The hotel offered a daily food and beverage rate (not "all-inclusive") that at the time was $65 pp/pn. With the hotel rate that we had the total was more than our next all-inclusive in the town so we declined. However - if you add in the cost of the car - or deduct the car - it might have been a saw-off depending on your personal circumstances.

The bed was comfortable but a bit on the hard side.

The rooms were great with no bugs etc which some people fear. The showers were also good.

The hotel is not new - and in a humid environment could not be considered pristine. But every hotel in the equatorial zone everywhere older than 2 years will show some deterioration due to the environment and this hotel fares much better than most.

I enjoyed the time I spent at the hotel but also realized that I needed a car to be able to enjoy the odd meal in Puerto Vallarta. Long stayers would obviously use the bus the runs in friont of the hotel instead of a car.

Room Tip: Quiet location south of Puerto Vallarta. If you want night life this is not the place. We had a co...
1 Thank no_to_rain
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 November 2012

great view from the room, service was fantastic and the beach out front is really nice for swimming. The front desk and the bell hop were very helpful with recommendations for local food and advice. The pool bar is great! The only down side is that the place is a little dated, but not too bad. It was our last night in mexico and what a great way to finish!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

my 5th time in PV and first at Presidente. Lovely hotel, big rooms, amazing view, and excellent service.
The ac didn't work well (just a fan really) for 2 of my 5 nites and it is LOUD. they seem to be holding the ac system together with prayers and apologies, as it obviously needs to be replaced. it was ok for me but anyone who wants or needs ac would be troubled and its hotel-wide so you cant just change rooms. Its clearly not a new problem here.
The staff are professional and attentive and really nice. The spa is nice, get a massage...heavenly.
The gym is well equipped but again, the ac wasn't working and that made it tough to work out as the temps rose.
The restaurant downstairs was very good and right on the ocean...for breakfast....try the egg white veg omelette and the french toast. Fresh squeezed juice was delish. Roasted sea bass for dinner was tasty. The poolside service was good...frozen margaritas and keep 'em coming.
Overall we had an excellent stay and would return.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank chgoclaire
Prince Rupert
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I went back to the Presidente for a 2nd visit (1st one in 2011 was cut short due to an injury) and was very happy I did. For the price that I paid (Expedia), I doubt I could have stayed in a better hotel and location in Puerto Vallarta. The staff was as good as my last stay and the beach was as beautiful as I remembered. Leslie and Dorians at the reception desk remembered me from my last short visit and made me feel like a long time preferred client. They even called Oscar, the doorman, at his home to let him know that I had come back. Just that is worth the trip. As usual for October, the hotel was very quiet. The hotel is not new, but they do their very best to keep it up. Anything that is asked for is taken care of graciously. If one wants better wine glasses in their room.....or just about anything else...ask!! I'm pretty confident they will do it. Food and beverage prices have been lowered since my last (low season) visit..and the breakfast menu prices and selection are excellent if one does not want to pay $20.00 for the buffet! If you like snorkeling........bring your mask! Fantastic snorkeling right off the beautiful beach at either end......No need to hire a boat, free and you will probably be alone!!!!!
By the way...the music at the pool can hardly be heard at the pool......nevermind anywhere else on the property! Anyway... the price that I pay to stay at this hotel in low season is so ridiculously low that complaining about anything would be rather pointless. If one want 5 stars.....go to the Four Seasons and pay $600.00 a night!!!!!! At the Presidente I get more bang for my buck! and they deserve a big Thank You!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Wildnormy
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I am not sure about the previous reviewers' experience, but mine was excellent. I have been to this hotel several times and find it consistently quiet, clean and professional, with a nice beach. I was there at the same time as the previous reviewer in a nearby room on 6th floor. I disagree about the supposed activity on the 5th floor, there is one gift shop, a car rental storefront which was usually closed, a bar that is only open from 6 pm to 12 and the reception desk. In my room the only thing I heard other than an occasional child in the hallway was the surf, there are huge waves on this bay. It is off-season and there is minimal activity but anything we asked for, we received. Regarding location, it is a bit out-of-town, but a taxi is only 100 pesos. We take the bus for 7 pesos, about 60 cents. For us, this minor inconvenience is offset by the view, the beach and waves and the staff. Thanks Presidente!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view. Ask for a room above 5th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family