“great hotel”

Ranked #75 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Duncan, Canada
“great hotel”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

we had to quickly find another hotel when we couldn't review the hotel we were in so booked into this place after reading the reviews and finding that it wasn't much more than what we had just paid, with the CAA discount. Went by taxi approx. 150pesos. David spoke English and was so, so patient with me when I tried to prove my CAA membership as I didn't have the card with me. After several texts home, it was sorted out but he was very very nice about it all. The room with large balcony was fantastic. It felt so luxurious. We really enjoyed sitting on the balcony and reading etc. Pool is nice, beach is nice but not so big. Unfortunately this time the waves were pounding and we didn't dare swim due to the undertow. I was looking forward to snorkelling as I had read it from another review but waves were too rough. We ate at the restaurant three times in 4 days. The spagettii Boulognais was good at 110pesos and so was the pesto. The buffet was also good. It is easy to take the bus to PV-16pesos(flat rate) or to Boca, going the other way. We could swim there and check out life in a fishing village. Beers in the store there (cheapest we have found) are only 8.5pesos but we were charged 70 for 2 beers and 1 limeade!
The only negative was the tall apartment block built in such a way that it intruded on the this hotel. Hopefully the waves are not always so rough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We have never stayed south of PV in the past, and we always look for nice budget properties. This hotel has Ben the best deal we have had in many years of travel. The property is beautiful. Yes somewhat dated, but that is common in Mexico. Use to be The El Presidente Intercontinental, and it's easy to see that it was even lovelier in its hey day. Best Western in the US is always a sure bet; this hotel lives up to that standard. Even offering free Wifi as they do in US. Location is 15 mins from town and 10 mins from Boca de Tamatlan. Night life in one direction and Adventure in the other. Taxi was 100 pesos to town. Convenient albeit colorful bus was right across the street and only 8 pesos. Bus only took slightly longer than cab. Service at the hotel was very friendly. Food was marginal, but we generally enjoy our dinners in town. Budget travelers won't be disappointed here! Beach is not for swimming, but big waves are great fun to watch!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. We were on the 4th floor and the waves were practically crashing on our...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deartedd
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked through a discount website about an hour before showing up. When my wife and I arrived, it hadn't shown up in their system. They went ahead and gave us our room and said if it didn't come through, we could try to get it figured out the next day. Oscar is the name of the man who showed us to our room. One of the most friendly people I have ever met. The next day, we had been down for breakfast and were heading to the elevator to go back up and I hear someone shout mine and my wife's names. We turned around and it was Oscar with a big smile on his face. He just wanted to chat for a couple of minutes and ask us how we were liking it and recommend some things for us to do.
We stayed at a few different places while in PV. This one was my favorite. In my opinion, it had the nicest beach and the most beautiful views. One night, we were sitting on the balcony and happened to look down on the beach and see a turtle making it's way back down the beach and into the water. I wanted a relaxing vacation and this was a perfect location. It's a good distance from the city. If you're wanting to explore the city and spend any significant time in it, there are probably better options for you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Randall O
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our view was FABULOUS! We got an 8th floor room and could see forever. The room is huge, clean, bed a bit hard for me. Large private balcony you could sit on all day except the pool, beach and the crashing waves draw you. We took the bus into PV whenever we wished. It was just a short ride south to Mismaloya with a few great restaurants in the village (walk to the end of the village to the zoo) & Boca with a few beach side restaurants for food or beverages and people watching. Really nice staff. Good value on breakfast buffet as we compared to other places. ($15/ea incl 20% tip)

Room Tip: As far as we could tell 7th floor and above - unobstructed views.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna M
california
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I just spent several weeks & had a wonderful time. We have stayed at this hotel many times when it was The Presidente. Best Western more or less stripped the rooms. No minibar, no flowers etc. The rooms are very large with nice bathrooms but they need redecorated. The food preparation needs attention. Some days the food was OK but other days it was terrible, especially the lunches. The pool furniture needs to be replaced. That has been our complaint for years. The tables & chaises are old,chipped & dirty. Someday the pool deck will need to be replaced as well. We love the location, the staff was extremely helpful & it is very peaceful by the pool when the boom boom music is turned off. It might take the owner awhile to get things turned around but the potential is there

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank robert anthony
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Most if not all rooms were ocean front, it's great falling asleep while listening to breaking waves...

I knew it is more than 5km away from the city, but after 3 nights, I thought I had it enough. I love doing things in city, 15-min commutes by bus makes me tired. The bus frequency is every 15-30 min. I moved back to a hotel in Zona Romantica, I'm a lot happier, but everybody's different, I guess.

The good:
* My room was dated but huge, around 700sq ft. A/C is quiet, but I wish I had ceiling fan as well.
* I paid $50/night including taxes (could have been a lot cheaper if I booked a few months in advance), many people find it inexpensive.
* I didn't see any cockroaches, although I spotted a few fast crawling tiny ants with wings.

The bad:
* Customer service sucks. As an international chain, I'd expect to have international standard of customer service as well. It took me more than 15 minutes to check in, because they've never taken payment by gift cards from Best Western. The guy even gave me a hard time, saying 'I don't think you can pay with that'. After 15 minutes of calling places, they magically took my payment from my gift card. No apologies given. When checking out, it took them more than 5 minutes to check out, saying 'I don't see that you paid.'. Thank god I hang on to the receipt. Magically, my payment record has shown up on their system. Again, no apologies given. Is this a part of Mexican business culture not apologizing for their mistakes? Giving customers hard time is out of question.
* Wifi in room (608) works only when it wants to. I called the front desk, they told me to come to the lobby for a best reception. I don't think weakness of the signal was the issue, because when it's working, it's strong. I thought inroom wifi was included in my room rate? As usual, no apologies given.
* On information guide in the room, ice machines are located on 6th, 8th, and 10th floor. I couldn't find it on 6th floor. I went up to 8th, still nothing. I went to front desk, I was told it's only at the bar and 10th floor. Update the darn information guide! At this time, I don't even bother bringing this to their attention.
* Power and water got stopped at least for an hour during day (weather was calm and dry). I inquired, I was told they're checking something right now. I've stayed many budget hotels in Mexico, but it has never happened to me. Again, no apologies given.
* The right side elevator doesn't stop at lobby level! This is a small nuisance, but I have no idea what do people with disabilities or baggages do with it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank maverikbc
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We recently visited Puerto Vallarta and were very happy that we chose the Best western. We were happy to find out that all of the rooms have a private balcony and we did not have to pay extra to be ocean front. Since we were south of downtown the water was totally different. It was much clearer then then water in front of the hotels we have previously stayed at in Puerto Vallarta and the sand was much cleaner and whiter. We even went snorkeling right in front of the hotel and saw many fish.The food was very good and unlike most all inclusive hotels we have stayed at everything was edible and well presented. The bar gave us real cups as well instead of the cheap 8oz plastic ones which was nice. There was very little wait at the bar if any and they were very liberal with their alcohol pouring. It was overall a great experience and I would strongly recommend to friends and stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Check out the suites with hot tubs
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends