“Perfect Off-Season Oasis”

Ranked #78 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver
“Perfect Off-Season Oasis”
Reviewed 8 September 2008

The InterContinental Presidente Puerto Vallarta is the perfect oasis in the off season. We stayed there for five nights in late August / early September 2008.

Weather

It was perfect. Yes, it was the rainy season and yes, it rained every day. But only for a few hours in the late afternoon. The rest of the time it was mostly sunny and not too humid. Evenings were lovely.

Location

This hotel is located 8 km outside of Puerto Vallarta on the way to Mismaloya Beach. It has wonderful jungle surrounding it and is set right on the beach. All the rooms have ocean views, but the lower floor views may be hindered by the roof lines or trees. We stayed on the 8th floor (via a free upgrade!) and the view was perfect. We took the bus (6 pesos) into Puerto Vallarta and caught a taxi home at night (80 pesos). It was nice (for us) to be outside of town but I guess its a matter of personal preference.

Timing of Trip

We loved being here in the off season. There were very few guests at the resort so you never had a problem getting the perfect palapa with a beach view or deck chair by the pool. There were rarely more than a dozen people in the restaurant or by the pool. Again, this may be too quiet for some tastes, but was the perfect retreat for us. The staff (for the most part) were very attentive. See more below

Hotel Room

The hotel looks like it was built in the 1970's and their website indicates renovation in 2004. The upside to the age of the building is the rooms are very large with huge bathrooms. The downside is some things are dated. We found the bed and bed linens to be very good. Lovely clean white sheets and duvet and (regardless of some reviews) very comfortable king sized bed. We enjoyed listening to the sound of the ocean was we drifted off to sleep. The towels & amenities are ok - not great, but ok. The rest of the furnishings - couch and table/chairs are in need of replacement. We didn't mind as the free upgrade and off-season rate more than made up for it, but if I'd paid full high season rates I might be a little disappointed.

Rest of Hotel

The lobby is amazing. You enter into the 5th floor of the hotel and are greeted by sweeping ocean views. The lobby bar is nice with pretty good margaritas. The 1st floor pool is huge with swim up bar and ocean front restaurant. We only ate breakfast there and the food was good. A lot of the "mexican" style breakfasts were quite similar, but no complaints.

Staff

We checked in late (past 9pm) the receptionist wasn't overly friendly. But we got a room upgrade, so no complaints. The rest of the staff were really great - especially in the restaurant, pool side, at the kayak rentals and the room staff. Very accomodating. We had one small problem with our mini-bar which was quickly resolved. Everyone we spoke to was very helpful and the service was good. It may have helped that we were one of only a handful of guests but I think the staff would strive to give good service regardless.

Overall

Book at the Presidente InterContinental Puerto Vallarta if you're looking for a relaxing, get away from it all type trip. Its far from the "hotel zone" and close to old "romantic zone" with its charming cobble stone streets. Stay in the off season, save some money on the room and splurge on a meal at the beach side La Palapa restaurant in Puerto Vallarta - wonderful, romantic meal you won't soon forget. All in all - I would recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Location, Staff, Ambiance, Ocean Views, and Relaxation
  • Disliked — Furniture upgrades and TLC needed in some areas
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Guino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Just returned from PV with a girlfriend. We enjoyed the location of the hotel since it was not in one of the popular hotel zones with a lot of loud music that’s more popular with the younger crowd. The hotel staff was very courteous and informative when asked. The buffet breakfast has something for everyone, however the Italian restaurant (Alfredo di Roma) has a lot to be desired as my snapper was breaded and fried with the skin still attached and most of the meat was unedible. I complained and the waiter was more than happy to deduct it from our bill and offered to get me something else. I had already filled up on soup and bread so I didn't want to order a second entree.

The Sunset Bar is nice and the bartender served us an exotic martini that had 3 colors in it. I had a hard time understanding most of the locals' english since the spanish dialect is so strong, so I don't know what was in that tri-colored martini, but we enjoyed them on more than one evening.

The Frutas y Flores restaurant also serves dinner. We ate there one night when they had a buffet of fajitas. The food was not worthy of the price charged and they looked at us strangely when we asked for some soft tortillas (they were not on the buffet table).

If you're looking for a wonderful dining experience, I highly recommend La Palapa in the Romantic Zone. It's on the beach and the sea bass is wonderful. On the pricey side but you get what you pay for. 100 peso cab ride each way.

We stayed for 6 nights. The hotel said they were booked but, we never had any issues with any services. There were a few families in the pool and on the beach each day but most appeared to be Spanish families and the children were well behaved.

Overall, I will return to the Presidente. The rooms were very nice and large, as was the bathroom. The balcony was nice with the table & 2 chairs, along with the lounge chair. The pool received morning sun around 9 or 10:00 and the sunsets were magnificent each evening. The undertow on the beach is strong and my not so young knees had a hard time getting out of the strong surf without being thrown into the sand. But I managed fine.

Oh, almost forgot, they have a turtle nursery there. Seems I read about it before we went and I had forgotten. One early afternoon, a huge mamma turtle came upon our beach, dug herself down into the sand, spent about 30 minutes, climbed out and returned to the sea. A couple of the hotel employees spent about 15 minutes with sticks trying to find the eggs - all 98 of them! They dug them up and put them in their little turtle nursery, covered them back over with sand, and when they hatch, they will be released into the sea. It was just amazing.

• Liked — spacious room & bath
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank murphyfun
Trenton, Missouri
Reviewed 18 July 2008

My new wife and I came here on our honeymoon and it was perfect for what we were looking for. It's far enough out of town to be secluded and quiet, but yet it's close enough if you want to go in for dinner or shopping on the Malecon. It took us about 10-15 minutes by bus (only 6 pesos) or 7-10 min. by taxi (100 pesos). The beach was pretty nice and there aren't any vendors to bug you. We ate at the pool bar a couple times and it was very good with very reasonable prices. Mostly, we went into town to eat dinner, but we ate lunch several times at the pool bar. The pool is very nice as well...not huge, but there were never very many people there. I loved the rooms, they were very big and the bathrooms were huge too. They all have a nice ocean front view with a balcony. When we got there, they upgraded us to a higher room with a better view since it was our honeymoon. The staff seemed very nice and helpful. Overall, it was a great experience. If I had to say one thing that I didn't like it was that the bottled water that was in the room was very high priced, but luckily, I saw the menu before I drank any...it saved me around $5 USD. Send me a message if you have any questions...we'll definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jjf825
Louisiana
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This hotel is a fair distance from the city making it quieter and more intimate. At the time of our stay, it was an all-inclusive.

Since this was an anniversary celebration, we selected a suite with an ocean view and large jacuzzi. Our room looked out over the ocean exclusively so we were able to leave the draperies open to enjoy the view throughout our stay. It was especially romantic enjoying the jacuzzi at night looking out at the lights in the distance.

The property is beautifully landscaped. It includes a decent sized pool and a small private beach.

We enjoyed breakfast on the outdoor patio and dinner in the hotel's restaurant. The breakfast did include fresh fruit.

The staff were very accommodating in suggesting restaurants and giving directions. We were even able to mail postcards from here.

We arrived by taxi so to get around we either had to take a taxi or ride the bus into town. We did ride the bus during the day, but I felt uncomfortable among all the locals on the bus. I did not feel uncomfortable at any other time. This was probably due to the fact that we were the only non-locals on the bus.

During our stay, there were few other guests, mostly couples. As we were preparing to leave on the weekend, however, a family reunion had arrived completely changing the charm of the place. I suggest you inquire if there are large parties booked for the time you are planning your trip since this group completely took over the beach and pool.

This place is best for those visiting Puerto Vallarta with a significant other. If you are more interested in staying near where all the action is, this place is not for you.

• Liked — The intimacy
  • Disliked — The need for a taxi
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dreamer9
Mexico city
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I decided to post to provide a balance to the overly positive reviews, as I don’t rate this property as highly. I’ve traveled significantly and have stayed from inexpensive pensions to very nice hotels.

I seek value for the price in my leisure travel. It's questionable at this hotel as the noteworthy things are ocean views, tranquil beaches. Rooms/beds/services are lacking.

Location:
The hotel is located about 10km south of Puerto Vallarta via a busy narrow road. The mountains cascade to the ocean, so hotels and condominiums are crowded between narrow beaches. There are frequent busses and taxi’s but it takes at least 30 minutes to get into downtown.

Hotel 1st Impression:
You enter a small unpretentious lobby with an open (no windows) lovely view of the ocean. There is tropical vegetation with colorful bougainvillea. No fancy anything. The lobby/restaurant/bar street level is actually the fifth floor of the hotel.

They appeared to be short staffed. My arrival was around 7pm, the hotel was fully booked, and they had one bell man. There was no one to help with luggage or park my car. Some guests asked for dinner suggestions and were told that the concierge had left already. The hospitality of the staff was mediocre at best.

I don’t know how it’s a four star hotel.

Rooms:
Positives: The rooms are huge; all rooms have an unobstructed ocean view. I must stress the unobstructed because this is the best feature of the hotel room. There are balconies and chairs.

Negatives: The rooms are outdated and gross really. They are painted white, with white tile floor with black colored grout, it would be a sure bet that the color is due to dirt and grit. The floor gave a very bad impression, chipped and VERY slippery when wet. There is no real furniture to talk about. Someone had written that the beds are hard, and they should be, the mattress is on a slab of concrete, no box springs! In an age where hotels like Marriott and Sheraton have invested in beds, this was disappointing.

Beach:
The beach is a small but tranquil cove. People using the beach are from the hotel and either of the two condominiums, so there are no crowds and very safe.

Irritations:
Resort Fee: They charge a $25 resort fee, when this is truly not a resort by any means. They came by every evening to exchange towels etc. The towels were well worn.

Charges for children over 12: I specifically booked this hotel because the website said that children under 17 stayed free. They insisted on charging $30 per night, and Jorge was quite rude when I questioned him on the charge. Customer service was not evident.

No outside food: On the third day as I walked in with a Wal-Mart bag, the security or bell man..very nicely said they had a no food from outside policy..so use a back pack to smuggle your goods back to your room.

Internet: There is free wireless only in the lobby, but with limited space, it’s not too comfortable. It’s pretty standard to have availability in a hotel like this.

Puerto Vallarta in General: I had not visited in 8 years and it’s certainly has grown tremendously. Downtown remains quaint, but it has become a large metropolitan area hugging Banderas Bay. Some buildings/
areas around the costal avenue are quite dilapilated and got the open sewer smell typical of third world cities. Near the Marina, they’ve built upscale malls and Walmart is present as well.

• Liked — Ocean View
  • Disliked — Rooms - floor & rock hard beds
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Ezra
Piedmont, South Dakota
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We booked our honeymoon through a frontier airlines package and got a great deal that enabled us to stay in Puerto Vallarta for 11 days. The Presidente was a good honeymoon hotel ... it is fairly isolated south of town on a pretty and private beach. There are only 120 rooms. It was quiet and private and perfect for our honeymoon.

The staff at the hotel was great. They were all friendly and helpful. However, when things got busy, it could take a while to get your food.

The pool was nice. We wished the beach was a little longer so that we could have taken some walks. The ocean was nice and refreshing even if at times the current was fairly strong. Sunsets were amazing and all the rooms face the ocean and have balconies. The food was a bit expensive and there was a per person cover charge for the two restaurants, but not for the pool bar restaurant. The food was good, but not great. The $10 taxi ride or $1 bus ride to town was a better option for dinner (try El Arayan, Daquari Dick's, and Trio). We tended to go to town about 6 and do some shopping and then eat at about 8.

The rooms were clean and nice, nothing spectacular, But they were plenty big, as was the bathroom.

Carlos at the pool rents kayaks, snorkeling gear, and body boards. He can also arrange for a boat to go to Los Arcos (7 minute ride) and some of the private beaches like Yelapa (45+ minutes). It was cheaper for us to rent our own boat and captain and have him pick us up right at the hotel, than to go on one of the tours and pay the taxi and just come right back past the hotel. And that way we could go exactly where we wanted, when we wanted, and stay however long we wanted. We spent about $180 for 4 1/2 hours. There was only two of us, but the boat would have held a half dozen or more. And our captain was very friendly.

This hotel is closer to downtown Puerto Vallarta than the hotels in Nuevo Vallarta, but if you want to do things in Nuevo Vallarta you'll be talking about a 45 minute $30 taxi ride each way. We did this to do the royal dolphin swim at sea life park (about $150 each) and it was great. Also, the taxi fair to and from the airport was $18 each way.

Overall I would say this is a good honeymoon spot. The hotel would be okay for kids and families, but some of the bigger Nuevo Vallarta hotels would probably be better. And if you are going to do a lot of tours and activities, this also might not be the best place. But for sitting at the pool, having a romantic honeymoon, and going into town for dinner, this was a great choice and we were very happy with it and the staff.

• Liked — privacy and romance
  • Disliked — food and distance to some attractions
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mitchvv
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 May 2008

I stayed at this hotel twenty five years ago, so I decided to try it again on my recent trip. The resort was newly renovated and very clean. The rooms were oversized and decorated very well. The hotel staff was very professional and catered to our every need. When we checked out, there were no unexpected charges on our bill. Because the resort is five miles south of town, we were able to enjoy the peace and quiet we so desperately needed without the hustle of the party crowd and the traffic of town. There was a seperate internet room, fully furnished with five guest computers and high speed internet. The hotel was installing this feature in each room while we were there. The hotel food was superb. The in-house Italian restaurant should be given five stars.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay in every way. We were very comfortable in this class establishment.

• Liked — Quiet and Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends