Park Royal Puerto Vallarta
US$331
US$272
US$218
  • Breakfast included
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
US$305
  • Beachfront
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$514
US$159
  • Pool
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$254
  • Breakfast included
Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$175
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$161
  • Pool
Grand Miramar All Luxury Suites & Residences(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$174
Official Hotel
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
US$500
US$487
1,077 results
All reviewsitalian restaurantprivate beachpool barocean viewbanderas bayopen airromantic zoneour waiteralfredopool sidepresidentegonzalopesosvacationwavescabmismaloya
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I just returned from a one week stay at the Presidente and had a wonderful time. I am a bit surprised to read of the recent comments from those who were displaced and quite critical of the hotel staff as my experiences over the years have been outstanding at this hotel.
Since the old Camino Real Hotel sold out to "Dreams", I have been staying at the Presidente and this recent visit marks my ninth stay at the hotel. Each visit over the years has been an enjoyable experience and accounts for why I continue to return.
As you enter the hotel from the road, the open air view of the beach and coastline is stunning.
As noted in other reviews, the view from your room is superb as it overlooks Banderas Bay and the town of Puerto Vallarta and the north coast. The facilities are clean and well maintained and each room has a nice, fairly spacious balcony to sit out on and enjoy the view.
I spend a great deal of time by the pool and on the beach and the hotel does an excellent job of maintaining a clean and inviting area to relax and enjoy a peaceful day by the water.
There is no loud music nor annoying activities around the pool which makes for a very peaceful and enjoyable experience. If you're seeking the "party" experience, you may want to stay at one of the properties in the "Hotel Zone" but if it's a peaceful, relaxing stay you're looking for at a beautiful property with a more mature clientele, the "Presidente" should be at the top of your list.
The staff throughout the hotel is exceptional. They are very accomodating and service-oriented and I have found most of them to be exceedingly pleasant. The pool staff are exceptionally accomodating including Jorge and Tedorico who assist with beach chairs, towels, pillows, etc. as well as Fernando, the pool bartender/waiter and a host of other staff.
Furthermore, the hotel management has always been cordial and helpful to me. The assistant G.M., Martha Valle, goes out of her way to make certain that I'm enjoying my stay and makes it a point to inquire. The hotel G.M., Felix Ruano, has also made me feel welcome at all times.
The hotel is located about 10 minutes south of town and is easily accessible by taxi or the bus (only 6 pesos (or, 60 cents) for the budget conscious). The view as you drive down the coast to the hotel is beautiful and gives one a nice feeling of being away from the hustle & bustle of town while still being a 10 minute cab ride away.
For those seeking a little more adventure, you can easily travel further south down the coastal road to the towns of Mismaloya (3 miles) and Boca de Tomatlan (5-6 miles). Both areas are accessible by bus or taxi and each has their own beach and some nice restaurant options. You can also rent boats for fishing/snorkeling or sightseeing trips at a reasonable cost (500 pesos/hour or about $40/hr). There are also water taxi's available in "Boca" to take you to other beaches further south.
The Presidente has an excellent restaurant (Alfredo's) offering Italian and seafood specialties as well as some Mexican dishes. The view is superb as is the service and I've always enjoyed the food and wine. In addition, the hotel has a beachside restaurant and a poolside snack bar alongside a great pool bar.
The rooms are large with spacious bathrooms. The furniture, while a bit dated, is clean and comfortable as are the beds (never really had a problem with the "hard" beds noted in other reviews). The maid service is daily and thorough and I'm always pleased to return to my room and seeing the room so tidy with the floors freshly mopped and cleaned. They do a nice job.
If you're looking for a pleasant, peaceful vacation at an upscale hotel with stunning views and away from the loud "partying" scene, the Presidente is an excellent choice. I know I'll be returning for my tenth visit in the spring of 2009.

P.S. Restaurant suggestions:

In Mismaloya - "Tony's La Choza", "Boca Benta" and "El Patio"

In Boca de Tomatlan - "Diego's" (a new spot....walk over the concrete bridge across the river and it's right there.....a little adventurous but well worth it.....owned by a very friendly couple from Wisconsin)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dan57
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We stayed or rather didn't stay on November 8, 2008.

After a long cab drive, this is located south of most of the hotels, we came to a beautiful hotel. My friends and I had reserved two rooms with them.

The view was jaw dropping. We were very excited to stay here. However when we got there, the manager took us aside. I asked if there was a problem, he said, "Not really." He went on to explain there was a computer malfunction and even though we had booked months in advance, they were all booked. We were angry and he offered no compensation. he said he was putting us up in a hotel very comprarble to this one. (He lied.)

The hotel we went to had a stack of "denied" names they went through when they we looking us up. Seems Presidente does this a lot and to a lot of people. I wonder if it would make a difference if I paid them directly or through Orbitz. (The manger mentioned something about that I paid the room through Orbitz so couldn't get my money back.)

We came with friends and we told him we wanted more compensation. If he was upfront and honest and said they screwed up and overbooked and the best he could do was a 3star hotel instead of five and he'd throw in dinner, I wouldn't mind. But that he wasn't apoligetic and we had to fight over 30 minutes to get compensation for their error it made us mad. He offered us (after berating him forever) a free dinner and breakfast, but I lost my jacuzzi room I had looked so forward to.

So though I can't comment on the room or say anything positive about the hotel, I can say thier restaraunt was first class. Our waiter was very accomidating and the pianist was fantastic. The dinner was an experience in itself. But other than that, the loss of the room was very sad.

We'd never go back to this place, even though it seemed to have the best view. I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta and hope to find a better hotel that won't shut us out.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank BeppiGirl
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We stayed here in late May this year and loved this hotel. It's a little further out of town than some of the other properties- so expect to take a cab into town but there are plenty waiting to take you wherever you want to go.

The rooms are nice and big though we did get 2 queen beds instead of a king. Our friend who did manage to get a king, mentioned that his room was a bit smaller than ours though. Our room over looked the pool/ocean and was still relatively quiet which was nice. We loved that we could just hang out on the balcony of the room and enjoy the view.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank suzieq23
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Would have been heaven...except when we got there, they told us that they had no room for us, even though we had booked months in advance. So they had to send us to another hotel for the night. Since check out at the other hotel was at 11:00 am and check in at the Intercontinental is not until 3:00pm, we were stuck again without a room all day. The staff seemed hardly apologetic and unphased by what was happening. No compensation was made at all.
The room was lovely, with a big jacuzzi tub, although when we went in...green bubbles were swirling around us!!! So beware.
Food was subpar and overall, customer service was lackluster. If you are willing to overlook that, then the hotel itself is beautiful, with a beautiful beach.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Starting with the obvious, my wife and I would never stay at this hotel again. We went for a wedding and the hotel had been selected for us in advance.

The problems started immediately. We booked a king bed, they gave us two doubles. We informed the front desk of the error and asked them to change it. They were rude and short with us and said there were no king beds available period. We found out two days later that another couple and their daughter, that were there to attend the same wedding, were given a king bed and had to fight with the staff to get to a manager to switch them to two doubles. we also found out that the hotel messed up nearly everyone's reservation and were similarly rude and unhelpful.

In addition, we found not one but two dead roaches on the floor of our room. I understand that in a tropical environment there will be bugs, but these were long dead roaches that had obviously been ignored.

I strongly recommend avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business