“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #93 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
california
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We had a wonderful month vacation at the Presidente. The rooms and bathrooms are very large, the front desk staff very helpful in making dinner reservations, beautiful private beach and quiet pool. We took the local bus to town each evening which is so convenient and reasonable and it only takes about 15 minutes. The town has many excellent restaurants and we especially liked Vitea, Trio, Si Senor. One of our other favorites, Boca Bento, has relocated five minutes south of the hotel. We went there four times and loved the place. We are looking forward to next Nov.Dec. and our stay at the Presidente.

• Liked — it was not an all-inclusive, private beach, nice rooms
  • Disliked — the breakfast and dinner restaurants-expensive
1 Thank robert anthony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Chicago
Reviewed 11 December 2008

I just got back from an eight night stay at the Presidente InterContinental Puerto Vallarta. Overall, it is a very nice hotel.

Clean and spacious rooms, great ocean view, decent pool, quiet location.

The only restaurant I ate at was the pool restaurant for lunch. Very good food with resort prices.

There are a ton of great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta. The restaurants I would recommend are: Los X-Tomates, Pipi's, Archie's Wok, Tony's La Choza (in Mismaloya), Paradise Burger, and La Chata.

The main drawback to the hotel is the check-in experience. In a word - terrible. When I booked the reservation I was told that there would be an $11 per night resort fee. When I arrived they told me it was $27 per night. Apparently, there is an additional $16 per night "service fee". It took me an entire hour with the local reservations manager and several calls to InterContinental to get them to waive the additional $16 per night service fee. I suggest that you bring your reservation confirmartion in writing that spells out in detail the fees that you will be charged.

They do have a policy against people bringing in beverages from outside of the hotel. I bought beer and water at Wal-Mart that I snuck in with my duffel bag on wheels.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Disliked — Front desk check-in experience
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank H D
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Pushy and expensive. Two words to describe the attitude and theme of the Intercontinental in Puerto Vallarta. A very small lunch and a beer near the pool cost $60. Staff were grumpy and annoyed with the slightest request and constantly pushed expensive services onto you. The private beach was beautiful however but the rooms were very standard (to even make yourself a cup of coffee from a coffee pot in your own room cost a number of dollars). There are much better hotels in the area and in some, staff are even friendly and accommodating and happy to help. For that reason, I would not recommend this hotel at all until their staff learn manners and try to make the stay enjoyable. Over our holiday and staying in six different hotels, this was the most expensive and the biggest disappointment.

• Liked — The private beach
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve L

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I just returned from a one week stay at the Presidente and had a wonderful time. I am a bit surprised to read of the recent comments from those who were displaced and quite critical of the hotel staff as my experiences over the years have been outstanding at this hotel.
Since the old Camino Real Hotel sold out to "Dreams", I have been staying at the Presidente and this recent visit marks my ninth stay at the hotel. Each visit over the years has been an enjoyable experience and accounts for why I continue to return.
As you enter the hotel from the road, the open air view of the beach and coastline is stunning.
As noted in other reviews, the view from your room is superb as it overlooks Banderas Bay and the town of Puerto Vallarta and the north coast. The facilities are clean and well maintained and each room has a nice, fairly spacious balcony to sit out on and enjoy the view.
I spend a great deal of time by the pool and on the beach and the hotel does an excellent job of maintaining a clean and inviting area to relax and enjoy a peaceful day by the water.
There is no loud music nor annoying activities around the pool which makes for a very peaceful and enjoyable experience. If you're seeking the "party" experience, you may want to stay at one of the properties in the "Hotel Zone" but if it's a peaceful, relaxing stay you're looking for at a beautiful property with a more mature clientele, the "Presidente" should be at the top of your list.
The staff throughout the hotel is exceptional. They are very accomodating and service-oriented and I have found most of them to be exceedingly pleasant. The pool staff are exceptionally accomodating including Jorge and Tedorico who assist with beach chairs, towels, pillows, etc. as well as Fernando, the pool bartender/waiter and a host of other staff.
Furthermore, the hotel management has always been cordial and helpful to me. The assistant G.M., Martha Valle, goes out of her way to make certain that I'm enjoying my stay and makes it a point to inquire. The hotel G.M., Felix Ruano, has also made me feel welcome at all times.
The hotel is located about 10 minutes south of town and is easily accessible by taxi or the bus (only 6 pesos (or, 60 cents) for the budget conscious). The view as you drive down the coast to the hotel is beautiful and gives one a nice feeling of being away from the hustle & bustle of town while still being a 10 minute cab ride away.
For those seeking a little more adventure, you can easily travel further south down the coastal road to the towns of Mismaloya (3 miles) and Boca de Tomatlan (5-6 miles). Both areas are accessible by bus or taxi and each has their own beach and some nice restaurant options. You can also rent boats for fishing/snorkeling or sightseeing trips at a reasonable cost (500 pesos/hour or about $40/hr). There are also water taxi's available in "Boca" to take you to other beaches further south.
The Presidente has an excellent restaurant (Alfredo's) offering Italian and seafood specialties as well as some Mexican dishes. The view is superb as is the service and I've always enjoyed the food and wine. In addition, the hotel has a beachside restaurant and a poolside snack bar alongside a great pool bar.
The rooms are large with spacious bathrooms. The furniture, while a bit dated, is clean and comfortable as are the beds (never really had a problem with the "hard" beds noted in other reviews). The maid service is daily and thorough and I'm always pleased to return to my room and seeing the room so tidy with the floors freshly mopped and cleaned. They do a nice job.
If you're looking for a pleasant, peaceful vacation at an upscale hotel with stunning views and away from the loud "partying" scene, the Presidente is an excellent choice. I know I'll be returning for my tenth visit in the spring of 2009.

P.S. Restaurant suggestions:

In Mismaloya - "Tony's La Choza", "Boca Benta" and "El Patio"

In Boca de Tomatlan - "Diego's" (a new spot....walk over the concrete bridge across the river and it's right there.....a little adventurous but well worth it.....owned by a very friendly couple from Wisconsin)

• Liked — Beautiful beach and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
1 Thank Dan57
Indiana
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We stayed or rather didn't stay on November 8, 2008.

After a long cab drive, this is located south of most of the hotels, we came to a beautiful hotel. My friends and I had reserved two rooms with them.

The view was jaw dropping. We were very excited to stay here. However when we got there, the manager took us aside. I asked if there was a problem, he said, "Not really." He went on to explain there was a computer malfunction and even though we had booked months in advance, they were all booked. We were angry and he offered no compensation. he said he was putting us up in a hotel very comprarble to this one. (He lied.)

The hotel we went to had a stack of "denied" names they went through when they we looking us up. Seems Presidente does this a lot and to a lot of people. I wonder if it would make a difference if I paid them directly or through Orbitz. (The manger mentioned something about that I paid the room through Orbitz so couldn't get my money back.)

We came with friends and we told him we wanted more compensation. If he was upfront and honest and said they screwed up and overbooked and the best he could do was a 3star hotel instead of five and he'd throw in dinner, I wouldn't mind. But that he wasn't apoligetic and we had to fight over 30 minutes to get compensation for their error it made us mad. He offered us (after berating him forever) a free dinner and breakfast, but I lost my jacuzzi room I had looked so forward to.

So though I can't comment on the room or say anything positive about the hotel, I can say thier restaraunt was first class. Our waiter was very accomidating and the pianist was fantastic. The dinner was an experience in itself. But other than that, the loss of the room was very sad.

We'd never go back to this place, even though it seemed to have the best view. I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta and hope to find a better hotel that won't shut us out.

• Liked — Great restaurant
  • Disliked — I didn't get an accommodation
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank BeppiGirl
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We stayed here in late May this year and loved this hotel. It's a little further out of town than some of the other properties- so expect to take a cab into town but there are plenty waiting to take you wherever you want to go.

The rooms are nice and big though we did get 2 queen beds instead of a king. Our friend who did manage to get a king, mentioned that his room was a bit smaller than ours though. Our room over looked the pool/ocean and was still relatively quiet which was nice. We loved that we could just hang out on the balcony of the room and enjoy the view.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzieq23
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Would have been heaven...except when we got there, they told us that they had no room for us, even though we had booked months in advance. So they had to send us to another hotel for the night. Since check out at the other hotel was at 11:00 am and check in at the Intercontinental is not until 3:00pm, we were stuck again without a room all day. The staff seemed hardly apologetic and unphased by what was happening. No compensation was made at all.
The room was lovely, with a big jacuzzi tub, although when we went in...green bubbles were swirling around us!!! So beware.
Food was subpar and overall, customer service was lackluster. If you are willing to overlook that, then the hotel itself is beautiful, with a beautiful beach.

• Liked — The View and the Beach
  • Disliked — Service