“Worst Experience of my life”

Park Royal Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #95 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Illinois
“Worst Experience of my life”
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We stayed for a week and were treated rudely and terribly the entire time. I had my credit card number written down and stolen by the woman working in the gift shop. My two friends and I also got two digital cameras and my iphone stolen out of our room while we were at the beach. When we reported it the manager said he would be up in 30 minutes. An hour later he came up with two security guards and promptly ripped our room apart looking for the stuff because he thought we were lying. From that day on we were stared at and followed by the staff. I have never had my dignity ripped away from me like that before. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank ghjkfj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 25 March 2009

In the past my family and I have stayed in many resorts: Mexico and the Caribbean – This particular resort however, just on the outskirt of Puerto Vallarta is a must – we were treated like royalty!

The week of March Break 2009, my husband and I set off to sunny Puerto Vallarta. We arrived at the Intercontinental Presidente late at night. In the morning we woke up to the sound of waves and to the warm sun. Our balcony overlooked a beautiful ocean where we saw humpback whales and dolphins every day. We had an “almost all inclusive” with Air Transat and flew with Sky service from Toronto. Though we initially had some problems with what was all included the staff at the front desk solved it without a hitch.

Both service and food was “Excellente” We had an “A La Carte” for every meal –breakfast and lunch at the beach restaurant and dinner at Alfredo’s. Look out for Victor at Alfredo’s – he is an excellent waiter!

We took the local bus (6 pesos only) to Puerto Vallarta and had an excellent lunch by the river at Le Bistro, and had dinner at Tony’s in Mismaloya.

The Rhythms of the night is a must – The show was excellent – I would highly recommend it.

We would also, highly recommend this hotel for couples looking for a quiet and intimate vocation -the beach was beautiful and smallish and there was plenty of space for guest to use it.

Travelling at night to Puerto Vallarta meant that we had the luxury of staying one full day at the resort and taking the return flight to Toronto late at night. Hence, we had 7 full and “glorious” days at the resort.

Merci Bernard for your personal touch in ensuring our wonderful holiday.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AliceKevin
The World
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We were so pleased with our stay that I almost wrote a review while we were still there. It would have been a different review, so I'm glad I didn't.
We got a really good deal by booking directly on the hotel website-- after we found it online elsewhere for less, I called the hotel directly and they matched the other price (which included breakfast), and with an upgraded room.
I'm not a big "local bus" kind of person, but this was so easy, safe and convenient, it was hard to justify a $10 cab ride to town when two people could ride the bus for $1 (we did take taxis home after dark).
We didn't eat in the Italian Restaurant, but did eat in the restaurant where breakfast is served (excellent!) and at the pool/beach (guacamole and nachos were excellent). We also ate in town and had a drink just down the road at Le Kliff.
The hotel could not have been more than 25% full. We saw the most people at any point when we were at breakfast, otherwise it seemed like we had the place to ourselves.
We hired a boat from the hotel to Los Arcos to snorkel-- it was great (inexperienced snorkelers might want to wear a life jacket, as the swell/waves in that area could get pretty big).
We also did the Vallarta Adeventures Whale Photo Safari and we got REALLY lucky-- watched one whale breach 20-25 times, plus saw 10 other whales and babies, a sea turtle, dolphins and a huge manta ray. It was the highlight of the trip.
Most of the clientele at this hotel are older, though there were a couple of young families. It was not dominated by people from the US ( a 'plus', in my book)
The night before we were to check out we asked at the desk if we could have a late check out. We were told no, that they needed the room (hard to convince a customer of that when the hotel is so empty). We persisted, and eventually the staff person asked if we were Prority Club members. We were, so he said we could have the room until 3. We thanked him, and told him we only needed it until 2.
The next day, as we were leaving to go snorkel, we stopped by the front desk to confirm our late departure. They told us that the person who told us that we could have a late check out didn't have the authority to make that decision, and no, we couldn't have a late check out. This went on for 10 minutes, with three different staff weighing in that we couldn't have a late check out. IT WAS VERY FRUSTRATING, and left an unpleasant taste n our mouths, after what was otherwise a very nice stay. We were eventually successful, but because this was our last interaction with the staff, it colored the whole experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ACTA
Germany
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My wife (Mexican, 28) and I (German, 31) spent the last week of January 2009 in the Presidente, our decision was based mainly on the helpful reviews by other travelers (on TripAdvisor). There is not much to add to the previous reviews - it is definitely a quiete, very lovely place south of Puerto Vallarta - except one thing: the last day we were asked at the front desk (at 12:00 am) whether we want to keep our bracelets (we booked "almost all inclusive") for the remaining hours in order to have lunch, which was still included according to the lady at the front desk. So we did, and than exactly the same thing happened as with the Canadian traveler who just posted his review: the waiter told us the meal was not included anymore because it was after 12:00am. We explained we were told explicity that this last meal was included, went with the waiter to the front desk where the lady admitted that indeed she told us it was included but made a mistake, the meal was not included and we had to pay. This was impertinent. My wife (Mexican, as already mentioned) was upset and started to discuss but it was futile: they insisted that we pay. So I paid the approx. 500 pesos and asked myself: how can you leave a traveler like that? Do they expect us to return after such a goodbye? Indeed I am not willing to spend one more cent in this hotel since it seems they are only interested in short-term cash. Better find yourself a place where they want you to return and not to milk you till the last minute.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sebastian_Grethe

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We booked with Air Transat all inclusive and flew with West jet from Abbottsford. West jet was a nice upgrade than sky service. We chose to change hotels @ the last minute because of reviews @ the Barceló of people getting sick. We arrived around 10pm and were greeted by the bell hop very friendly and personal. (He was a great help with local info cab prices etc the whole week he has been @ the hotel for 15 years). Check in was quick and we were given a free upgrade to a suite on the ninth floor with a Jacuzzi tub. All the restaurants were closed but we were told we could order room service if we wanted. We did manage to get 2 drinks @ the sun set bar before they closed @ 11pm.
Being your CD’s and DVD’s to play in the room, also some tea light candles, there are candle holders and aroma oils in the room but tea lights do not seem to get replaced. Fresh flowers in the room and the little sand box were also a nice touch. The view from our room was amazing; we could sit on the deck in the morning and watch the wave’s crash and the whales’ surface. We also saw dolphins and manter rays from the beach. The room was surface clean but I would not say deep clean, things were overlooked in the bathroom especially the overflow in the hand sink was black with build up and there were little insects that crawled around the marble, I guess this is Mexico, but it makes you start to question other areas.
All the restaurants were a la carte the food was awesome and the servers made sure you had everything you needed. The Italian restaurant needed to be advertized as there were only 2 or 3 tables (If any) in there @ a time. We had dinner there with 3 friends and the lobster even though we had to pay extra was really good. 3 nights out of the week we chose to eat out because we did not want to be the only table in the restaurant. A lot of people had their dinner somewhere else, that meant there was hardly other people around the hotel in the evening we would be the only ones in the lobby bar. Maybe someone playing the piano in the restaurant or some live music would encourage people to stay in their own hotel.
Take the bus into town don’t waste your money on a cab ride, the bell hop will provide you with a map and recommend places to see, eat etc. We only took a cab on the way home. Wallmart and Costco are the cheapest places for your liquor; if you did not bring your Costco card they will look you up in the computer and give you a day pass.
On our last day Valentines’ day my boyfriend had the beach guys write in the sand “Glenn & Joanne forever” it was a great valentines gift waking up and looking over the balcony. He then proposed to me it was so romantic it was a perfect ending to our trip, or so I thought. We did have an extension on our room until 2pm as our flight did not leave until 9; 30pm. We also were told we could have a courtesy room to get a shower before leaving. When we came to check out @ 1;30 pm there was an extra charge for beers that we had had 2 the beach, we thought we were all inclusive until we left not until 12 noon. I had to pay the 294 pesos and then call air Transat to try and get this fixed up. This mix-up took over 1 ½ hours as when air Transat called the hotel back regarding the extra charge the receptionist told them we did not want to pay the extra for the lobster this was not the case, we had no problems paying for any extras that we had ordered. We have never stayed at an all inclusive that they cut you off 9 hours before your flight leaves, that ½ a day out of 7with no food or drink. We had to call air Transat back ourselves to get everything sorted out, or so we thought. After air Transat talked to reception again we were told that we could still order food and drink until we leave and were given a courtesy room to get showered etc. I was told that I would be given a cash refund for the drinks we had been charged for @ the beach, and to please enjoy the rest of your stay with us. We checked out our new room not as nice as the one we had given up, it was on the second floor with the only a partial view, but it was only for a few hours. We decided to go and have lunch, since we had checked out the all inclusive bracelets had been cut off. We were told that if there were any problems to get the server to call the front desk. Before we ordered food we asked the server to call the front desk to confirm what had happened. We had a nice lunch and a couple of beers starting to relax again until we left; the server came running after us like we had walked out on a bill, saying that we owe money, we felt embarrassed. We told him lets go up to the front desk, and yet again we had to go though the same thing that it was not include and we would have to pay. We had to get the receptionist that we spoke to come and get things sorted out again, another ½ hour wasted. We did ask to speak to the manager and she did come and make sure my credit card was refunded for the amount of the beers and apologized fro the mix up. By this time I am getting really upset, what should have been one of the best days of my life was turning into one that I just wanted to forget. We just had enough time to get a quick shower before we were picked up for the airport. The Hotel manager called the room and apologized for the mix up, he wanted to pay for our transfer to the airport but this was already covered by air Transat. When we checked out of the new room the manager wanted to talk to us in person. We did meet with him, he apologized again and gave me a heart shaped lollypop; he seemed to think the lollypop would make up for all our time wasted for our last day. By this time I had to bite my tongue and not tell him what he could do with his lollypop!
This is a beautiful hotel, set in an amazing area, with wonderful very personable staff it is just too bad that the hotel managers and air Transat cannot get things straightened out. The staff need to be trained what is included for all inclusive guests, it’s no wonder that the hotel was only about 30% full during our stay. People check out reviews on line before they book their trip & I know we are not the first this has happened to but hopefully us taking the time to share our experience we can be the last. Do not book all inclusive @ this hotel until they have this sorted out.

• Liked — the staff and food
  • Disliked — last day / billing problems
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank glennjo
Vancouver,BC
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We just returned from a great relaxing week at the Presidente, myself and my wife. This was my 5th time to Mexico and 3rd to P.V. Our aim was a quiet romantic resort and this is exactly what we got. Lovely hotel - we were upgrade to a junior suite- the room was large, clean and comfortable with a fantastic view, you felt like you were right over the waves!
The staff were very attentive and friendly at all times. The food was excellent throughout. The pool area was a perfect place to relax in the sun with a cold beer and watch the whales, dolphins and waves crashing on the beach.
We stayed on a week’s all inclusive, booked through Air Transat. There was a little confusion between the hotel and Transat regarding all the details of the package, but was easily taken care of and didn't take away from our great stay in any way.
15 minutes on the local bus for 6 pesos got you to Old Vallarta.
Perfect place for a romantic getaway or quiet holiday - not the place if you want to party. We would go back again any time

• Liked — beach front , friendly staff, relaxing atmosphere, good food
  • Disliked — nothing to complain about
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We loved this hotel because it provided exactly what we needed - a quiet getaway. It is located at the far south end of the city, away from the crowds and noise of the main strip of hotels, yet it is a short taxi ride into town if you want a different restaurant or shopping.

A waiter in town told us our hotel has the best beach in Puerto Vallarta. It is a small but perfect beach - just lovely. We saw Orca whales just offshore two mornings!

One of the best moments of our vacation was walking into our room and seeing the gorgeous ocean view. The room is almost zen-like with all white stucco walls, white tile floors, white bed covers and just a splash of color in pillows and decorative blankets, plus fresh flowers in the bedroom and large bathroom. New-age music was playing on the CD/DVD player (bring your own movies and music to play).

The entire staff was friendly and very attentive. Just watch out for the PR guy who welcomes you after you check in; he's trying to sell something and we weren't interested. He gave up easily and graciously.

We booked a "superior" room which included an ocean view on a higher floor (7th). We also paid extra to have breakfast included.

I strongly suggest booking via the hotel's website since this explains all the extra charges in advance. Some reviewers complained about being surprised by service fees and resort fees and taxes. These are all detailed on the Intercontinental website before you book. Our total cost ended up being about $245 per night, including breakfast and all taxes and fees. The "service fee" you pay includes all tips for maids and bellmen, so you won't have to tip them extra.

Because there weren't many guests, there wasn't a buffet so we ordered anything we wanted - and as much as we wanted - off the menu. The food was excellent - I enjoyed the fresh fruit plate with yogurt and granola each morning. Twice we ordered the delicious guacamole poolside; it was plenty for the two of us.

We will certainly come here again. This is perfect for quiet, mature couples.

• Liked — Quiet and peaceful, nice staff, very relaxing.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple