“A Dream Vacation!”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 December 2013

As with anything, nothing is *perfect*, but we thought this vacation was pretty darn close! We have 8 y/o twins and took them to Dreams over their birthday. Upon exiting our car, we were greeted by two members of the Concierge staff (Bethy and Gregorio), who sang Happy Birthday to our kids and welcomed us personally. I can NOT say enough about the staff at Dreams. They are just amazing and take great pride in providing good service. Each and every encounter we had with staff was a pleasure, whether it was a restaurant server, maid service, or a groundskeeper.

Each day, we were given a newsletter with the day's activities. For those with kids, I highly recommend the Explorers' Club. Our kids had a GREAT time. In the week they were there, they made cookies (while wearing adorable chef's hats), pinatas, released baby sea turtles (twice), watched nightly movies on the beach, and so much more. The staff is absolutely great with kids and parents are provided with pagers while the kids are there.

There are two pools at the resort: One is adult only and has a bar very close by. We only went to that pool once, as it does not get a lot of sun and was a little chilly. The other pool is a pool for kids/adults and was plenty big. It also has a swim up bar, which was great. Our favorite bartender was Salvador. Order a "Mayan Sacrifice"....they are great! They also have a kids' drink of the day, which was fun. Yes, the pools do have a limited number of chairs, but this has been my experience at most resorts. All you have to do is save a chair by 9 a.m. and you should be fine. Is it a perfect system? No. But, it's to be expected at most resorts.

The food at the resort was great. Our favorite restaurant was the Seaside Grill. Great service and a great view. Oceana is also wonderful! The service is a bit slower there, but you also don't have to make reservations, so it's just a bit of a trade-off. We found the buffet to be some of the best at any all-inclusive we've visited. Lots of variety and was very well kept and clean.

We stayed at the Preferred Tower and--if you can--I'd highly recommend it. The service was great and they have some extra amenities that we really appreciated, included free wifi, computers in the lobby, and a morning/evening happy hour with snacks and drinks. The rooms were very nice and had a great view. They are also very spacious, which is especially important when traveling with kids.

All in all, I would visit again in a second, if nothing else to see the wonderful staff again. They were incredibly kind and wonderful and we'll never forget it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Heather M
Write a ReviewReviews (7,957)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Location great. Food average. Pool and chair situation very bad. If you have to get a chair on the beach you will be very sore. Entertainment staff very friendly. We are platinum members and could not use our discount in spa along with daily specials. This is the first time this has happened. We will not return to this Dreams location.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We enjoyed this excellent resort for a Mexican Thanksgiving in November.

Pro's:
1. All inclusive. So when you're with family, no worrying about who gets the check.
2. Absolutely beautiful. Right on the beach.
3. Super friendly, nice staff.
4. When you're on the beach, people bring by things to buy and activities to do. Normally I'm not a souvenir guy, but I bought some nice jewelry, two shawls, and signed up for a few parasailing and jet ski activities. It felt like window shopping from my chair. Awesome!
5. Well thought out, fun, thorough Thanksgiving buffet. (Only negative - loud, annoying band. Baby didn't like!)
6. Amazing rooms and view. Hot tub on the balcony, concierge service.

Con's:
1. Inconvenient, slow, unreliable Internet. This would keep me from coming back. VERY IMPORTANT TO FIX.
2. The Mexican restaurant (El Patio) is seriously understaffed and slow. I went several times, always the same problem. Again, this is a possible dealbreaker.
3. Beachside drink service slow if you don't tip.
4. Housekeeping asked for a tip in person.

All in all, if they can fix the internet and Mexican restaurant staffing, I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AdamSPhiladelphia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from our stay Nov 30-Dec 7th for our Anniversary. We chose this resort based on staying at Dreams Villamagna last year. Well I would say this isn't quite the calibre that Villamagna was - kind of dissapointing as we expected the same if not better on this trip. The check in was great and I had corresponded with Felix ahead of time and he came through with a room on the 20th floor with an amazing view! When we got to the room we had a "Happy Anniversary" banner on the door, fresh fruit and a complimentary bottle of champagne when we were ready. Very nice. The room was older, but clean and well kept. The bed was amazing - so comfortable! The food and restaurants were excellent - so was the service. The beach was nice and private - but a challenge at times to swim in. The pools were really the downfall - there seems to be a culture of saving chairs at this hotel - it was bad - 10am we would finish breakfast and then head to the pool - every chair had a towel on it. They state that this is not allowed, but no one enforces it - people reserve then head to the beach for a couple of hours then back to the pool to their reserved chair that has been sitting empty for two hours or more...while other people are looking for a spot to sit. That was very annoying. Then the swim up bar was a party area and very unclean and heated - we are not overly picky people but this was bad. We ventured to the upper quiet pool - very nice, cool/refreshing and clean and that was where we spent most of our time - but the bar service was very poor in this area and again with the saving of chairs was a challenge every day to find a spot. Lots of spots on the beach though. Otherwise - the grounds are beautiful and well kept, staff is attentive and friendly and go out of their way to help. But this wasn't the same calibre as Dreams Villagmagna - which was disappointing as we paid more money thinking we would get the same calm, pampering atmosphere - but it wasn't. So I don't think I would recommend to others or return. Plus they have just sold the resort and it will be the Hyatt as of March. We were told that they will be concentrating on Secrets and No Amber which are supposed to be totally amazing resorts - we may look into that next time. The hotel is close to town which was handy - taxi ride is 50 pesos. We did one tour - The Taco Tour - this is new and your guide is a chef - it was amazing! We went right into non-tourist areas and experiences a few different types of tacos, drinks went to the market, cemetary, a couple of restaurants and a Piniata (sp?) factory... and lots of knowledge from the tour guide. I would do this at the very beginning of your trip so you can go back on your own and experience real Puerto Vallarta - not the touristy areas - cheaper and authentic this way. So that was our trip in a nutshell. I feel bad about giving some negative comments but it really dampened our spirits about paying so much money to come here expecting 5-star. Like I said we aren't overly picky but I felt I should mention the reserving of chairs and the cleanliness of the "party pool". The food was definitely of the same calibre if not better - that was the hilight. Bethy and Felix really tried to make everything perfect so thank you to them for their efforts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Betty S
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I stayed back in August 2012 for 7 nights in a preffered club junior suite for our honeymoon. It was a truly amazing week, and we've been trying to scrounge enough money together to go again ever since. The food was amazing at all of the real restaurants (the buffet was okay, but we would only eat breakfast there). Our room was amazing, and with the patio doors closed it could get even chilly in there with the A/C going. The beach was really nice, and we swam in the ocean pretty much every day. All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The drinks were very good and the bartenders were very helpful. My wife went to the spa one day and got a couple things done and loved it. All in all an amazing place to stay, I highly recommend it and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheamo
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The location is amazing, great beach, private, good access, facility is attractive. But, come on...the food is NOT amazing, the pool was dirty, and things looking a little worn.

I would not bash the place, the service was nice, the restaurant were lovely but the food was below average, and things just on average were not as great as the reviews here. If you are not picky about your food, and dont mind sand and sun lotion in your pool, or broken and worn beach chairs and toys, its a lovely spot nice people, and a very good value. But these reviews make it look like a 5 star spot.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Longfisher
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Best experience at an all inclusive ever. The best part in my opinion is the food. The buffet is a typical buffet but still yummy but the restaurants at this resort were all amazing. No desire to go into town to eat ever. The beach here is also amazing, spent most of my days on the beach swimming in the ocean. The rooms are great but who spends all their time in a room anyway. The only negative is their pool is quite small and not a lot of seating around the pool but I didn't go to Mexico to swim in a pool so it didn't bother me. All staff were awesome. It is a smaller resort and a bit older but they have renovated their rooms and the resort is kept looking beautiful and immaculate. We were there in a big group so we always had a party but this resort is not a party resort, no disco here. It was perfect for this trip. I would recommend this resort forsure and go back myself. Enjoyed Puerto Vallarta more than the Mayan.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends