“Spoiled Rotten---And my son's wedding was perfect!”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wilmington, Delaware
“Spoiled Rotten---And my son's wedding was perfect!”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

The staff as a whole was, without a doubt, the most genuinely warm, friendly, and service oriented folks I have encountered in a long time, if ever. The rooms were perfect; we stayed in the newer Club Tower and had a beautiful ocean view (the Club Tower has ONLY ocean views). My only problem was that the online reservation included transfers from airport to hotel...after a lot of hassle calling the hotel we had to take a cab for 300 pesos ($25) coming and again going so I will call and whine...I was too taken with the sparkling wine handed to me getting out of the cab, the great atmosphere, checking in, and looking around for my son to pursue it at the time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Princeton, B.C., Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My partner and I spent the best seven days & nights vacation at the Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa this past January. The staff were friendly, and courteous. The meals were top notch and our room was quiet and comfortable. I was concerned about the poor ratings that some people had given this resort, but I must say that we were totally satisfied with every aspect of our stay at this Dreams location. We are planning to return for another stay and plan to make it a longer holiday. Our heart felt thanks go out to everyone at Dreams and our travel agent, Jubilee Travel in Vancouver, B.C.. Signed: Keith Olsen

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keith O
Dallas
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My wife and 4 year old daughter just returned this past Monday from a week at Dreams and are telling everyone we know about this relatively unknown gem.

We’ve traveled extensively and I must admit that Puerto Vallarta wasn’t a destination I’d ever really considered. We’ve been to Playa and Cancun as have most of our friends here in Texas given how convenient they are. However, after some research my wife did here on TripAdvisor on Dreams, though, we reconsidered and are delighted that we did.

The Flight
To start, it was only a 2 hour and 8 minute direct flight from Dallas on American which was wonderful given that this was our first vacation with our daughter. This is only a few minutes longer than a flight to Playa or Cancun. And all three of us racked up a few more miles.

The Beach
Unlike the Yucatan destinations in Mexico, you get a perfect sunset over the Pacific to enjoy with your bottomless cocktail which was sweet. As others have pointed out, Dreams is on its own semi-private cove so although it’s a public beach, you really only share it with other guests. There were only a handful of vendors selling items but they were polite and obliged when you’d simply say “no thanks”. For anyone who’s been to Negril, this will be a welcome change.

The Food
Although the reviews we’d read here were mostly positive, we decided to “tread lightly” at first, sticking to fried food with hot sauce and generally being cautious. Of course, from the second day on, we were gulping down ceviche, sea bass, mahi mahi, tenderloin, shrimp, you name it. In other words, the food was wonderful and simply unbelievable for this price. None of us got sick, including my daughter who enjoyed hot dogs, mac and cheese, and all the usual items on the kid’s menus. And unlike Club Med, you have your choice of the main buffet restaurants or smaller restaurants with tables for two or four and wait service for each.

The Service
Simply wonderful! The waitstaff at the restaurants, pool, and beach (yep, bottomless cocktails available everywhere) were always attentative, friendly, and hard working as was pretty much the entire staff of the hotel. They really do seem to strive to show you that they appreciate you choosing to spend your vacation time and dollars with them.

Excursions
This time around, we chose to be slugs and just relax all day so we skipped the many excursions. Of course, when we come back next year - and we are coming back next year - we’re planning to get out and see the sights. We’d heard that there’s an exotic game petting zoo that the other parents raved about and even seemed to enjoy more than their kids.

We'd booked this trip a few months ago so after worrying about border slayings, then the swine flu scare, we are very glad we decided to go.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank EliCash
kb000
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This resort is not exactly a dream. Here is my review on the good, the bad, and the ugly.

ROOM/HOTEL: My fiancé and I stayed at this resort in April 2009. We reserved a gorgeous room located in the Preferred Club tower. The only problem with the room, was that the shower-head was broken and the sink did not drain properly. Overall, our room was immaculately clean!
The swimming pools, however, were very small and dirty!

TOURS: Tours and excursions are not included in your trip and they are very expensive. The horseback riding tour, however, was well worth the money!! It is an all day tour that takes you through rural areas and you get to swim at the waterfalls! It was so beautiful!

STAFF: The customer service is not fantastic. We arrived at the resort around 3:00pm but had to wait in the lobby for THREE hours before we could actually go to our room! If you want a jacuzzi in your room, make sure that you barter with the staff. The front desk was originally going to charge us $600 for the jacuzzi, but we managed to get one for almost half the price (Only in Mexico does this kind of crap happen). Some of the wait staff are sleazeballs trying to make a quick buck by selling you alcohol privately on the side (which is more expensive than the duty-free shop). WATCH YOUR WALLET!

FOOD: The worst part of our vacation was that we both had food poisoning. I have never been so violently ill while on vacation. And the Gravol did not help at all. I talked to several other guests and they all got food poisoning as well (including an entire wedding party)! Bottom line: Avoid the Seaside Grill and Oceana!

LOCATION: The resort is too far away from town and the tour locations. The beach is very small.

OVERALL: Paying top dollar for a resort does not always mean that you will receive the best. I would not return to this resort because of the food poisoning.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kb000
Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We had a great time. Don't understand the bad reviews. Had good food, good service too. Beautiful resort on a private cove. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home, especially Adriana from the front desk. And Alma who was a waitress at Oceana and Seaside Grill. When we got to resort, we were given a room on bottom floor. We asked for higher. Next day were moved to room # 1553 in Preferred Tower. Had a wonderful view. Our housekeeper Norma really took care of things. She also made cute animal shapes (rabbit/elephant) from the washcloths. The food was really good for an all-inclusive. The Barracuda bar by Infinity Pool was our favorite bar.
We went shopping along the Rio Cuale. Was very nice. When you fly in to Puerto Vallarta, do your best to ignore the problem TIME SHARKS. We had one pretend he was a Govt. Official and had to ck our passport. He was wearing some kind of badge, so we thought he was legit. As soon as he started offering us things as a continual visitor to their city, we realizied he was lying and walked off. That is our only problem with any trips to Mexico. Just wish they'd yell out & ask if we want a time share. Then leave us alone. Don't bother with a private transfer to/from your hotel. Just ask any yellow taxi cab for rate to your hotel. If you like the price, hop in. We paid for private transfer. Next time will just get a taxi. But when you go...try Dreams. It is wonderful. Heard they opened a new Dreams in Nuevo Vallarta. We hope to go back soon.

6 Thank TheTexasFoodie
Sault Ste Marie
Reviewed 28 May 2009

My husband and I went to Dreams P.V last November with some friends.
I loved Dreams. I found it wasn't overly modernized or Americanized. It was tucked in and kind of private and the view from our ocean front room was spectacular. The gardens were beautiful and fresh flowers were picked early each morning and used around the resort enhancing it's beauty. I would get up each morning and watch the staff rake the beach, pick flowers and water the gardens. That was one of my favorite parts of the the day at Dreams as not to many people were up and bustling around the resort yet and it was so peaceful. The staff were friendly and eager to assist us with anything and had some pretty good jokes at times ; )
I loved the food especially at the world cafe. My husband who is regularly one to sleep in would awake each morning just to have their breakfast buffet. I loved the drinks. If you go, you must try the Miami Vice, Dirty Monkey and Typhoon punch... All very good cocktails :) During our stay we did a dune buggy tour and ended up In the middle of the jungle at a beautiful swim hole. We also did the Los Veranos canopy tour, where we zip lined - what a thrilling escapade! We went shopping down at the Malecon (shopping district) The streets were colourful with sellers goods and everyone tries to bargain with you. there is a lot of tequila shops who allow you to taste test the different tequilas for free...so with that being said you could come back to your resort with more than just some Mexican souvenirs ; ). We also did a spa day and had swedish massages. I could have stayed on that table all day! Oh and the baby sea turtle release is something to experiance as well. I definitely recommend this hotel to people who are looking for something a little more personal. It is not a big fancy, gouty resort. It is simple yet elegant in it's own right and the service alone is worth the stay :)
My family and I are off to Dreams, Tulum this November so stay tuned for another review ; ) If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to ask : )

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank jod-ithejedi
DFW
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We stayed at the resort from 5/16 - 5/23 and it was GREAT. Service was great - room in newer tower was lovely. Pools were nice.
While I kept my eye on other people's reviews, we went with an open mind and were not disappointed at all. The only bad thing I can say is that the shower drain was a bit slow. The waiters really took care of you. Yes, we did tip them and it was because they deserved it! We were never without a drink or food the whole time. The beach was soft and clean.
Everyone I met at the resort agreed that this was a good resort and were having a great time. As far as the "bad" reviews I have read, I don't know where they came from since I didn't hear one person complain about anything while we were there.
Would go again and would definately recommend this to anyone. Not a lot of kids, had quiet places and very rowdy places - you choose which you want.

7 Thank TexasJoan