“Great view but the bathrooms were the worst I've ever encountered!”
Review of Hotel Yatzil

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Yatzil
Ranked #117 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 8 January 2008

We found Mar Sereno on TripAdvisor and were well aware of the type of hotel we were visiting. We have traveled a fair amount and have stayed at a number of mid-range hotels in both Latin America and Europe.

The hotel staff and location deserve an "Excellent" rating. Miguel was especially helpful and informative. The location can't be beat since you're literally right on top of the water. We didn't rent a car but, the bus system was so easy and affordable, we never missed it!

The hotel restaurant was OK. Great view of the water and a very nice cook/waiter (can't remember his name). The hotel does have wireless internet in the lobby and doesn't charge for access.

On the downside, the hotel rooms are very sparse. We would have appreciated having a few more chairs. The kitchenette was dirty and moldy. As previous posters have stated, the beds are very hard. I didn't think it would be an issue but by the 3rd night, my back was killing me.

But, the worst part of the trip were the bathrooms. There was a noticeable stench throughout our 3-night stay. It was like an outhouse. I covered my face with my shirt everytime I had to visit!
Not sure if every room was like this but it ruined our stay. I would avoid rooms 401 and 403.

As for things to do:

1) Restaurants - Great -Tony's Hideaway in Mismaloya and Cafe Primitive in Boca. Average - Cafe Iguana (we heard it was closing).
2) Excursions - We hired a boat in Mismaloya to take us down the coast to visit Yelapa. The driver was very informative and friendly and spent almost 5 hours with us taking us to little spots. It cost us $180 US for a group of 8 so, it was a great deal.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bill L

Reviewed 24 November 2007

We found the mar sereno three years ago and now make it a regular part of our mexico travel plans , we bring friends and they never are neg. about the conditions. The hotel is not the ritz its what it is a real mexico hotel that has a view and location to die for . If your a travel snob don't go but if you love the real people and unreal location , with mother nature all around you this is the place and the prices are great. Also if you get Fernando, the cook in the patio cafe , and can tell him what you want ( spanish is needed) he can make you great meals in a very small and modest kitchen that are a steal. Everyone here is only interested in making the guests happy , and they have succeeded with my wife and i for the last three years , i hope to be back for many years to come and repeat one more time that if you want mother nature and seclusion this is the place and someday the renov. work will get done( in a mexiccan minute. bill& linda

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank VALLEYBOY60
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I was in Puerto Vallarta only 2 nights on October 2005, on our tour of north-west part of Mexico (from Mexico City to Nuevo Laredo).
We din't booked our stay in advance, but we find this hotel on the way.
The location of the hotel is wonderful, with a memorable ocean view. The hotel and the rooms are furnished with Mexican woods carvings. The pool is great, with spectacular surrondings.
Our room was very big, clean, with wonderful view, but not renovated.
Breakfast in the morning was really poor!
The rate was absolutely reasonable!
The only problem is: The hotel need some renovations! (big renovation!).
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled with friends
3  Thank FedericaRoma_Italy
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Saw the above review and wanted to provide a contrasting perspective on the Mar Sereno. My wife and I recently spent two weeks in two different resort hotels in both Nuevo and Puerto Vallarta, and without getting into too many editorial comments on that scene, we'd seen about all we needed to see of that, so we went looking for something a little more our speed. We found it at the Mar Sereno. The hotel still appears to be undergoing some renovation, but we certainly did not encounter the conditions described by the previous reviewer. Our room was gigantic, with windows on three sides, an unbelievable ocean view (I believe all the rooms face the ocean), and the friendliest staff I have encountered in Vallarta. The rate was very agreeable as well.
A final thought: This hotel is one of the most memorable hotels I have stayed in in all of my travels in Mexico, and it is an authentic Old Mexican hotel. If your tastes tend more toward the type of hotel that allows you to forget that you've ever left town, this one may not be for you. If you like the real thing, try the Mar Sereno. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank hawgdrver
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 30 January 2006

Just got back from Puerto Vallarta and stayed at the Mar Sereno. The pros: The saltwater pool is great and the little madmade beach area with palapa's. The view is wonderful. We saw many whales in the short time we were there. The pool is very nice and was always empty. The manager who spoke English was very nice and helpful. Very quiet location. They serve breakfast but never quite on schedule. Sometimes their there and sometimes not.

The cons: the beds are hard as rocks. The bathroom gets soaking wet everywhere b/c the shower fixtures were shotty and sprayed all over. Only one man speaks English and if he is not working and you dont speak Spanish you are our of luck. The rooms themselves are just okay. There are broken fixtures and holes here and there but for the price you can deal with this.

We highly recommend Chicos about 10 minutes up the road for dining, along with Le Cliff. The restaurant in Boca de Tomatlan is quaint and the food is cheap and good. The Pancake House in El Centro was very good but get there early for breakfast or make reservations.

Snorkeling was disappointing, but I grew up in HI so am somewhat picky. There are no reefs to speak of so it is somewhat boring if you ask me. The water taxi's to Yelapa or other areas past Boca are recommended for a full day of interesting fun and sun on empty beaches. Very cheap and easy.

The Flea Market in El Centro was fun. You can find the same exact stuff for half the price or less in smaller villages and towns though.

Last tips, change money back to your currency anywhere but the airport. You will get ripped off. Walking across the bridge is very easy and worth it to catch a taxi. The airport taxi's are also a big ripoff. For departures I would highly suggest, checking all stuff in, going through customs, etc..early in the morning then coming back. The lines get very, very long in all areas of the airport and missing your flight is a high possibility if you cut it too close.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I loved this place. I am returning next month. The rooms are very beautifully furnished with Mexican wood carvings and hand tiled floors and bathrooms. The kitchen has hand tiled countertops and stained glass windows. Each room has a beautiful view. Everything was lovely. And very exclusive. The staff was great and more than accomodating to both my husband and me.

I've stayed at a lot of hotels, and I can tell you that this is a WINNER. It's true that they are a 15 minute taxi ride from the bustling downtown and that they don't have dinner in low season, but you don't need noise from downtown when a bus or taxi will get you home and you don't need dinner when you can order breakfast at 3 in the afternoon, with a smile!!! Try doing that at any of the other better known named hotels (Sher...Holid... etc).

If you want comfort, relaxation and a beautiful environment, and must a mention, a GREAT PRICE, this is the hotel for you.

Happy vacationing!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2005

This hotel needs MAJOR renovations! I do not see how they can even allow anyone to stay there the place is in such disrepair! We were told by the front desk manager that this place has a new owner and will be fixed up one room at a time. We booked online after seeing the photos available online and the general information. Do not book this place without seeing it first. We paid in advance for 9 nights and lost our money. We were just glad to get out of the place. I have written a longer review in the regular Trip Advisor section and you can e-mail if you like. The place was just awful and it is too bad because the surroundings are fabulous. I have pictures if anyone wants to see.

10  Thank B4AliKat
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Puerto de Luna Pet Friendly and Family Suites
Puerto de Luna Pet Friendly and ...
#65 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
8 mi away
Hotel Villa Del Mar
Hotel Villa Del Mar
#100 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Karma Boutique Resort
Casa Karma Boutique Resort
#35 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Hotel Yatzil? Share your experiences!