“Great choice!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Seattle, Wa
“Great choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I can not say enough good things about my first stay at Costa Sur. If you want high end luxury, this is not the place (hardly anywhere in PV is for that matter). But if you want clean, affordable, great location (bus is 5 minutes to town), cozy with both a beach and pool this is the spot. Excellent service the entire time from check-in to dining, from beach/pool service and maid service. Everything was perfect! I found the food to be quite good! And the Happy hour is every day 2x1 drinks at 5pm. I really liked that the resort had both beach and pool lounging so you could go back and forth between the two. The activities were also a fun touch ~ With bingo, blackjack, darts, water volleyball and more. You could Kayak, snorkel and pattle board down on the water too. I have to say thank you to my wonderful servers ~ Manual, Flavio, Clemente... you guys were the BEST! I can not wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean views. I was in 815 (1 bedroom) and loved it.
Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank oneirishgirl
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest thank you very much for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure for us to know we were able to deliver this experience on your first visit to our resort and that your expectations were really satisfied.
We are very proud of our staff and, once again, they showed why. We will make sure to pass along to Clemente, Manuel and Flavio your comments, as we know they will very much appreciate them.
Once again, thank you, and we will be waiting for you on a return visit to your "home away from home"!
Cordially.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Nampa, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

This place was an amazing place to go on our honeymoon! It had a beach just off the resort, amazingly delicious food and drinks, and they had lots of activities to offer in and near the resort. Also, the room was clean and culturally festive but not over the top. It was relaxing yet we had lots of things to do as well. There are lots of other features to the resort such as the spa, gym, and pool. The staff exceeded our expectations! They were friendly, took wonderful care of us (from cleaning our room to making sure we always had a drink in our hand), and were extremely hospitable. We had the most wonderful time. The only thing I could complain about, as far as honeymooners are concerned, is that this is a family friendly resort with kids and teenagers with their families. This wasn't an issue for us but I'll admit it would have been nice to have less kids running around. Also, if you don't have a car the bus or taxi were always available for us. It was limiting but at least we had options for transportation. Overall, I loved the resort. It was beautiful, clean, and relaxing.

Room Tip: Get a room with the view towards the ocean. All inclusive is worth it!
1 Thank Monika C
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Monika thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your honeymoon experience at our Costa Sur.
We are very glad we were able to be part of this very special occasion and that we were able to satisfy your expectations. Once again, our staff shined above the rest of the services and this makes us very proud, as they are the soul of our resort. We will pass you comments along to the, as they will appreciate them very much.
Thank you very much and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you to celebrate one of the many anniversaries you will be having, here at your "home away from home".
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I love Costa Sur. It used to be called Costa Vida back in the day when I bought a time share resale from an individual. To this day, I have seen so many major improvements to the property and rooms. It has two pools. Lots of shady spots for those that don't want to be in the sun. And plenty of spots for the sun worshippers too. The chef has changed so the food has gotten much better. Wouldn't call it excellent but it's decent. The resort is very comfortable and accommodating. All brand new beds and mattresses, big screen tvs, and rooms equipped with mini kitchens complete with pots and pans and dishes/silverware for your use. They have coffee makers, full size refrigerators and microwaves in each room. Hair dryers in the bathroom. Irons and ironing boards. I usually get a first floor room with a walkout balcony overlooking the ocean. So great to sit out there watching the sun set or watch the tide roll in as day is breaking. They have a gym but it's nothing more than a couple weight and circuit type machines. The spa is overpriced by American standards but it is an option if you are interested. Costa Sur has a Mini Mart on site where you can purchase various sundries, food items, and beverages. Taxis frequent this resort and each seem to charge different amounts so clarify the cost up front before getting in. Otherwise the bus will pick you up in front of the hotel and drop you off in front of the OXXO on the corner of Basilio Badillo and Constitution for only 8 pesos. It is quite an exoerience. Easy return trip for the same amount. Costa Sur offers Concierge services, has hotel rates, time share ownership opportunities, and offers access to many tours and adventures. It is a very safe place and is clean throughout the entire resort. This place continues to be a win win in my book. One criticism I do have is with their wifi. It barely works. The more people who try to get on, the slower it goes if you are even getting a connection.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. The two bedroom suites are in the North tower. All others are in the South...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robert L
Dear Robert thank you very much four having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure to know we were able to satisfy your vacation experience and that the changes we have done throughout the resort are showing and are of your liking.
I would like to confirm to you that the WiFi updating project is in full gear and that you should also note this change during your next visit.
Once again, thank you, and we hope to greet you again in your next visit at your "home away from home".
Trophy Club, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked this trip. To be honest, much of why I chose this resort was based on the reviews I saw on this site. The room was perfect! Comfy beds, a full kitchen, excellent water pressure for showering!!!!.....AND....maid service each day. How could you want for more. But, there was. From our balcony (and apparently, all the rooms face the ocean at this place....nice touch....) I saw a mother whale and her calf as they gently swam bye. I never knew they came so close to shore! The fishing was fun, the restaurants and shopping along the Malecon (their term for the main oceanfront boardwalk) were really good, and the people were all so very friendly. All along this beautiful ocean walkway interspersed between the tropical palm trees were amazing bronze sculptures! They were beautiful! I would definitely come back again.

2 Thank Jean A
Dear Jean thank you very much for having taken the time to let us know about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure to know that we were able to satisfy your vacation experience and that your decision, taken on the basis of previous comments, confirmed what you had read on this site.
We love the fact you used "our" motto as the headline for your comment, as this is what we strive to be to our guests: "Home away from home".
Once again, thank you, and we hope you will give us the opportunity to once again be your hosts on a future visit to Puerto Vallarta.
Cordially.

PS Nice pictures by the way!! :0)
Los Banos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I can't get enough of this place! So relaxing, but at the same time if you feel like enjoying the bar scene, even some outdoor dancing on the lovely patio by the Bay.............that's available too!
They even have an outdoor library where you can borrow books during your stay.
The restaurant is wonderful and the service is superb. I especially liked the feeling of being "safe". The halls and walkways are well lit during the late evening hours. Also, there is plenty of staff to assist you in any way. They even printed my boarding pass before I left for the airport! Now the wifi can be questionable at times, but it always works down on the patio. The lagoon is a perfect place to go snorkeling. The bus stop is right there and the stop itself has been renovated with a nice long cement bench and cover to protect you from either sunshine or rain! The staff from maids, wait staff, hotel staff, and activities for guests can't be beat!
Also, on certain nights of the week they have themed dinners. The Mexican night that we attended had some very colorful Folkloric dancers and all in all a very enjoyable evening. My friend went to the Spa and can't say enough positive things about her experience. I feel this is truly a place in which you just want to keep coming back!

Room Tip: In the North tower the wifi may not be as strong the higher up you go as in the lower floors. But...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kgaribay
Dear Guest thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
We are very glad we were able to satisfy your vacation experiences and that one of the highlights was our staff throughout the areas. We are very proud of them, as they are the ones who shine and show you the best of our resort.
Once again, than you, and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you in a near future at your "home away from home".
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is an older hotel with basic amenities. Beautiful sunset views and balconies in every room.
Our refrigerator and utensils desperately need to be replaced. They are pretty much junk.
There are two swimming pools, one reserved for adults only and that was nice.

The worst thing at this resort was the food and beverage service which is almost non-existent. They have ONE bartender at the poolside cafe and cannot keep up with orders.
When ordering food off the menu, it took forever. On my first day I ordered a pasta dish that came 45mins-1 hour later. The second day I decided to have a chicken cesar salad. Apparently they had forgotten completely about the salad, brought food for everybody else 1.5 hour later and my salad was missing. They went back to the kitchen and gave me lettuce stalks with some dressing on it. Chicken was missing. The server apologized and returned with some microwaved chicken breast. Seriously a salad that took nearly 2 hours and they can't even bother chopping the lettuce and tossing the ingredients.

I asked other hotel patrons and the slow service was consistent. For dinner we had the buffet so as to not deal with lousy ala carte service. But honestly, if I'm paying for all inclusive, I don't think it was worth it.

Room Tip: Better rooms are the lower floors (from lobby to pool) so you have the option to take the stairs bec...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank appledance
We are very sorry we were not able to satisfy your vacation experience and we would like to assure you that we have taken note of the misshappenings encountered while using our Food & Beverage outlets, in order to review our processes and make sure we give all our guests the best and most efficient service possible.
Once again than you very much and we hope you will give us the opportunity of hosting you again in a future and show you that our guests' comments and observations are really important to us.
Regards.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Costa Sur is not your typical beach front resort. It has a great community feel and definitely gives you a taste of the Mexican culture. The staff is excellent! They are very friendly and willing to help with just about anything. The room was a great size and had a full kitchen. We stayed with another married couple (total of 4 of us) and there was definitely enough room for us all to feel comfortable. The rooms aren't lavish/modern in any sense, but they are clean, the beds are comfortable, and the sounds of the ocean waves lull you to sleep. The appliances all worked well and we cooked a few meals in the room without any problems. The pool is very clean, only word of advice, is get up early and save a seat or two if you plan on lying at the pool all day. People tend to "reserve" the prime spots early in the morning. We did not do the all-inclusive package, because we wanted to explore the city and taste all different kinds of food, but the drinks at Costa Sur were definitely good. They don't hold back on alcohol, so that was a plus. Getting a taxi from Costa Sur was very easy, the staff quickly calls a cab for you and within a minute you're on your way. Costa Sur is also located in a great location. It is within 5 minutes (driving) to El Centro/Zona Romantica which is where a lot of the restaurants and shops are located. Its also ~10 minutes away from the Vallarta zoo and the bungee jumping spot. I would highly recommend staying at Costa Sur! We will be back next time we visit PV.

3 Thank Josh C
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Josh thank you very much for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure to know we were able to satisfy your vacation experience and expectations. To know that our staff, one more time, made you feel comfortable and welcome makes us proud, as they are a large part of our success. We will pass your comments along to them, as we know they will appreciate them very much.
Once again, thank you much, and we will be waiting for you in a future and greet you back at your "home away from home".