“I'm a picky traveller, and this worked for me very well!”

Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Let's be honest: I don't travel well. I get nervous. It makes my husband crazy sometimes. My idea of camping includes a feather bed and room service on speed dial. So when I read some of the reviews about Costa Sur, I just have to say this: What this location lacks in bright shiny granite travertine stainless steel finishes, it more than makes up for in the Staff, amenities and location.

I want to highlight two of the Staff members in particular, even though everyone there was beyond friendly and deserves praise. However, Flavio and Enrique are -the guys-. Flavio is super attentive, and remembers little details. I never felt like I was being "waited on", it was more like I was hanging with a friend. One evening when I was feeling ill, and my husband went down to dinner alone, he came back with chicken broth with side additions and said "Dr Flavio sent this up, he says this will help." The next morning when I went down for breakfast, Enrique was at the bar and when he noticed I was still a little green, he said "I'll fix it" and put together a concoction that did, indeed, fix it the rest of the way. They also checked on me later when they saw me next, and that made me feel really secure, and welcome. I think that's my overall point: The staff makes you feel welcome, and secure, and you don't have to worry about a thing.

I don't speak much Spanish, and there's a lot of anxiety when you travel to a country where you don't speak the language. The concierge staff has a very short 10-minute meeting with you when you get there, explaining the area, transportation, highlighting things you might want to do, and there is absolutely no pressure to book anything. They are there completely to assist, and they are never too busy to answer your questions. There isn't a question too "silly" and they were our "go-to" when we were learning which color buses go where, the schedules for different things, etc.

Yes, Costa Sur is an older hotel. It's not flash-bang pretty with high-end finishes like you would expect at, perhaps, a Marriott. The decor is dated, but charming. It's like you've gone to a friend's house and you're staying in one of their guest rooms. We had everything we needed in the studio unit, complete with small kitchenette. The AC was a little weak, but I think that if we were in the US with that level of humidity the AC would have probably been the same no matter what country we were in. The view was spectacular! We were on the 4th floor in the original building, overlooking the lagoon and the sea, and it was breathtaking. Also it should be noted that the wi-fi reception was extremely good in our room, though I kept losing signal while poolside.

The lagoon is magnificent. I can't begin to describe the beauty of everything I saw, and I was in that water every day snorkeling. Considering the coastline in Mexico is public domain, the added luxury of a private lagoon with so much to see and explore was a delight.

The only thing I would suggest for Costa Sur would be to have sisal floor mats outside the door to each room, for one last chance to get the sand off of shoes before going into the room. Even when I rinsed off and thought I was sand-free, I wasn't. Even though housekeeping mops the floor daily, that only lasts until you walk in again.

Will we go to this location again? Yes. Definitely. Why? Because the staff helped make the trip, I was comfortable and secure, the pace was easy-going, and everything worked out just right. You sleep in a room - you make your memories with people.

Room Tip: The lower floors in the main building seem to have the best wifi reception. Ask for a room with a se...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Theresa G
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Theresa thank you very much for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure for us to know that we were able to satisfy your expectations and that you had a great vacation experience.
It is a fact that our staff are the heart of our Resort and we are very proud of Flavio and Enrique, as well as of our Concierge staff, who went beyond what you expected. We will make sure to pass your comments along to them as we know they will very much appreciate them.
Once again thank you very much and we hope to see you in a near future at your "home away from home" as we like to call us.

There are newer reviews for Costa Sur Resort & Spa

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My buddy bought these vouchers off Interval International for about $350 a piece. So we all said "how bad can it be"? After all, It is right on the water and has its own private lagoon! We figured old world Mexico with a little extra rustic thrown in. Well, here we go. We checked into the 1 bedroom supposed new building to the south of the main reception area. My wife noticed a distinct odor so we checked out the bathroom and found black mold everywhere. They moved us to another room and it had the same problem as well as duct tape across the slider window to repair a door-width crack. The furniture and fixtures were beyond dated. They're old original and in complete disrepair. Visually, the rooms are a train wreck. The A/C barely keeps the temperature cool enough. The balconies of the room that we finally wound up in the main building were about 2 feet in width.

The pool area is okay but there were a bunch noisy kids that were constantly on the go during our stay. The pool side restaurant does not have A/C and if you go in the summertime, you'll be incredibly hot. I will say the poolside breakfast buffet was a highlight and worth the $15 or so it cost. I read rave reviews about the service but I guess you have to know the waiters personally. We had to flag down someone every time we wanted to order something. Yes they were very friendly but hard make eye contact with when you want something. The one exception was Guillermo who we booked our excursions with. He's a young bright eyed young man that was fun to work with and attentive to what we were looking to do. We all thought that he needed to be at a more upscale place more suited to his capabilities.

As far as the lagoon, it was great when you were in the water. Unless you're an early riser, there is no place to sit as all the seating and umbrellas disappear early in the morning and guest stay there all day. We wound up sitting on the rocks next to the beach. And of course, there is no beach service whatsoever. Now the snorkeling in the lagoon is great. The water is warm and fish while not too numerous were fun to watch and the water was pretty clear. The beach is also very narrow so you have to maneuver around the lucky few who wrangled seating in the morning.

Any way, we wound up bailing out of this place a day early and going to the Grand Miramar up the hill. This cost us $ 180 dollars but was well worth it. What a difference. The Grand Miramar is the place to be. Granite, new appliances, Travertine, huge bathrooms and we had a jacuzzi on our patio. The Grand Miramar is night and day different and better. I would recommend it to anyone who wants beauty, service and pampering as part of their vacation experience. As far as Costa Sur, be prepared to be camping in doors and hot and sweaty if you aren't in your room.

Room Tip: Studio don't have as much mold as the 1 bedroom units
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank William M
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest thank you for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur, as these are very important to us.
We would like to offer our apologies for the incidents you went through as well as assure you that we have taken note of your observations and will be working on the issues in order to take the necessary corrective steps.
Once again thank you and we hope you will give us the opportunity of hosting you again some time in the future and give you a totally different vacation experience.
Sincerely.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was my first trip to Mexico and WOW it was nothing like I thought. The staff was friendly and spoke English. The food incredible. The first night there we saw whales from our balcony. Not a bad view of the ocean and the hills. A quick bus ride to town and the beach scene in town.

Room Tip: A corner room is larger, but all rooms have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest thank you very much for having commented on your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure to know that we were your first lodging experience in Mexico and we are proud to have been able to satisfy your expectations, as well as your vacation experience.
Once again thank you and we hope you will give us the opportunity of hosting you again in a future at your "home away from home".

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I'd say 90% of the attraction of this hotel is the laguna they constructed around the beach zone. It creates a much safer environment for young children to swim in by calming down the waves as they break towards the shore. Our 8 year olds could spend the whole day there without us having to watch over them the whole time. The beach alongside is pretty skinny and more or less disappears at high tide, but it's not a problem, the sun loungers stay put even if they are awash underneath. There aren't a huge number of loungers or especially sunbrellas so one tip is to go in the morning when the shadow from the hotel crosses the entire lagoon. In the afternoon you are left pretty exposed to the sun.

We had a blast down in the lagoon with our snorkels, the artificial reef is teeming with a great variety of fish, all shades and colours, but do watch out for the urchins, they have huuuuge spines so be careful going close to the rocks. Sea urchins are normally nocturnal, but this species, the Crowned Urchin, will be active at all hours so please take care. Having said that, there's plenty of room and things to see without going near these rocks, so don't be put off.

It's a bit of a stretch to call it a resort. Our rooms were large and although a little dated, were more than adequate. The mattress was new and very comfortable. Air-con is a bit feeble but actually we found that the ceiling fan was plenty enough to cool us down overnight. Sunsets from the rooms are spectacular.

The restaurants and bars are all grouped around a central pool area above the beach, and I liked the layout. The bar is right in the centre, high up and a perfect spot to from which to observe the sunset. I liked the vibe there, it was a proper "tropical" hotel bar with, dare I say it, a bit of a Hemingway vibe as we sat there looking out across the bay to the sunset. Very cool, without trying in any way to acheive that status. Cocktails were hit and miss - I had the worst Gin & Tonic and Seabreeze of my life, but the White Russians were addictive and hit the spot perfectly. Food wasn't great, in terms of quality or value, but our room had a kitchenette (well stocked with utensils) so we could fix up a good breakfast with supermarket supplies. We had a hire car so it was trivial sorting it all out. I'd recommend trying out the restaurants in PV or along the coast.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Costa Sur, an older hotel that is holding its own in the quality-value stakes. If you have young swimmers in your group, definitely think about staying, as they'll have a great time splashing around in the lagoon and snorkelling.

Room Tip: The section above the reception is renovated, try and stay in this section.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bo_Duke

Dear Bo thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure for us to know we were able to satisfy your expectations and that you had a good vacation experience.
We have taken note about your beverage comments and will make sure to check on this matter with our bartenders.
You have made a perfect description of what the laguna has in store for all guests, as this is one of the highlights or our property. Thanks for that.
Once again thank you and we hope you will give us the opportunity to host you in a future at your "home away from home".

Reviewed 23 July 2014

this gem of a hotel is 20 minutes off the beaten path of the heart of Puerto Vallarta and quite charming. The best part of the hotel is the service, food and the great private lagoon that surrounds half of the hotel. Our breakfast table that we always dined at every morning sits right next to the private beach overlooking the fantastic view of Puerto Vallarta! The rooms are spacious and the king size bed was very comfortable. You have a refrigerator inside the room which I never used but it is there should you want it. The activity director was incredibly patient and kind in teaching me how to paddle board. Every person who worked there was genuinely happy to work there and made you feel welcome. My masseuse was INCREDIBLE and sadly I don't remember her name. Small but quaint spa area with many choices of services to choose from. I would stay there again and recommend it as long as you don't mind not being in the heart of the town where all the restaurants and shopping is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Merrie thank you very much for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
We are very glad we were able to satisfy your expectations and that your vacation experience was a great one. Our staff is definitely the heart of our Resort and we will make sure to pass your comments along to all mentioned as we know they will very much appreciate them.
It is a fact we are off the "beaten" path and we are sure that is what gives us our charm. :o)
Once again thank you very much and we hope you will give us the opportunity of hosting you again in a future at your "home away from home".

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I spent two great weeks at Costa Sur in June. Everything was great, food, rooms, food and especially the great staff. Veronica is very nice and a wonderful resource. The entire staff is friendly and willing to help in anyway possible. The location is excellent situated between Mismaloya Beach and downtown. Transportation by bus or taxi is a breeze.

Travel down to PV and enjoy the peace and serenity of Costa Sur on the ocean!

Room Tip: No tip needed, all rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GerryNayarit, General Manager at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Joe thank you very much for having taken the time to comment about your recent stay at our Costa Sur.
It is a pleasure for us to know we were able to satisfy your expectations and that you had a great vacation experience.
We are proud of our staff and we will make sure to pass your comments along to them, especially Veronica, as we know they will very much appreciate them.
Once again thank you and we hope to be able to host you in a near future at your "home away from home".

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My boyfriend and I travelled to Puerto Vallerta from Guadalajara for a weekend in december. We bought a groupon for this hotel so we stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was beautiful and we loved everything about it. The room was gorgeous with a view of the ocean. The wifi connection wasn't all that good but we enjoyed each others company. We had a friend in Vallerta that took us out because the hotel is quite far from the center, at least not in walking distance.
We had great food there and relaxed by the ocean. I think we we're the only young couple there, it was pretty much only older couples but we loved it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest thank you very much for taking the time to comment about you stay at our Costa Sur.
We are very glad we were able to satisfy your expectations and that your vacation experience was a good one.
I would like to confirm that, since your visit, we have considerably upgraded our WiFi system and we are sure you will notice the difference during your next visit.
Once again thank you very much and we hope to have the opportunity to host you in a future at your "home away from home".