“Beautiful hotel and wonderful staff”
Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #4 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Going at the very beginning of the season had its advantages and disadvantages...the biggest advantage was that I had an incredibly relaxing time and there weren't a lot of people at the hotel, which gave it a very private feel. The disadvantage is that I travel solo, and some more people could have been nice...also, when Don announced the upcoming events this season that will happen (movie nights at the pool, entertainment, etc...) I would have loved to have seen this all...ah well, next time.

I can't say enough about the staff...everyone was amazing to me and incredibly helpful. The place is just gorgeous (glad I went for the vista king with the bigger balcony). The food was good and I have to say that Logan was more present than most of the concierges that I have seen before.

Incredible trip and I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Go for the Vista rooms...the extra space and higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

October is the month that PV wakes up for the high season. We start out hot and rainy, sleepy and quiet, and end up much cooler, busier and rambunctious. All the restaurants and tours reopen for the season (many are re-opening this week) and seasonal residents come back.

The advantage of the quieter times (maybe through mid-November) is lower prices, so you get all the advantages at a lower cost. And as you mentioned you get the place to yourselves!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to get the hotel in tip-top shape for you on time for this new season! And of course we will suggest: please come back soon! :)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at Casa Cupula early in October, just as rainy season was ending and tourist season was beginning. It was a nice time for us to visit because restaurants and sites were open, but nothing was crowded yet. We were able to obtain a room upgrade and enjoyed our stay in Suite 421, which features a kitchen, private terrace with pool, and other grand features. Having never visited Puerto Vallarta, we relied heavily upon the staff for advice and help, and were always pleased with their suggestions. Keep in mind that Casa Cupula is in the old town/ gay beach area...a much more appealing location for us as compared to the closed-off, "all inclusive" resorts far to the north. No need for "all inclusive" when the hotel features an excellent restaurant of its own, and is surrounded by many other great restaurants in the neighborhood. A unique property worth visiting.

Room Tip: Each room seems to be unique. In the off season, the 1 bedroom suites might be obtained for a good...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JimNepo
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I just returned to SF from PV. I spent six wonderful days at Casa Cupula. The hotel is wonderful in a multiple number of ways, one couldn't ask for anything more. The staff was anything but inattentive. Everyone I met that worked there were not only good at what they did, but demonstrated an interest in my well being and offered lots of insights related to PV. I travel a great deal and this gay hotel is by far superior to any Gay hotel I have ever stayed in. To the folks at Casa Cupula I thank you for a great stay in PV. Please know that I appreciated all your kindness.

Regards / Richard

Room Tip: All the rooms at this hotel are great. No bad rooms at this Inn.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RicardoSF
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My first stay at Casa Cupula in January was absolutely incredible.
The concierge at the time. Fernando, and staff had everything I requested and more ready before I arrived. They seemed to be able to read my mind, scary if you knew me, and anticipated my every want and need,

My second stay in July was a bit different.
Although I knew the Hot/Rainy season was going to change the atmosphere I did not anticipate the change in concierge could make such a difference. Logan, the new concierge, is a wonderful person but we just did not seem to click. Other than the wonderful birthday excursion he and the other staff gave me, there seemed to be no connection at all. Inattentive.

My room, once again, was relaxing and solitary. The view of the nightly lightning storm was absolutely amazing! My guide, and now friend, Joey from my first trip further enhanced the pleasure of my stay by showing me outside the "tourist zone". Showing me things most visitors do not get the opportunity to see.

Overall I had a pleasant stay at Casa Cupula.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Gary K
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

It would seem as though reading our guest's minds should have merited six stars, if indeed one of our previous staff members was able to do this! But it also seems to us as though "inattentive" is a bit harsh. After all, the tour guide who was mentioned, the FREE wonderful birthday excursion and free birthday cake (all of which our concierge arranged), merited a 5/5 star rating at the guests' checkout. Without letting us know what was missed, at the time of the guest's visit or in the guest's satisfaction survey, we don't know what more we could have done since we are not, in fact, mind readers.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Travelers beware: August-September in Puerto Vallarta is a time when the shop owners and service providers go on vacation, so a lot of places will either offer limited services or be closed up if you decide to go during those months. You have been warned.

OK - I pretty much agree with everyone else's ratings regarding Casa Cupula; it is a very nice hotel worthy of a stay. However, these reviewers probably didn't stay during the "low season" month of August. We really wanted to experience a good time at this hotel, but unfortunately it missed the mark.

For starters, the wonderful restaurant on-site was closed for dinner during the month. Given the fact that the hotel itself is a good 5-10 minute walk down to the beach with a 20-minute return (all uphill), there are no other eateries near the hotel unless you count Subway. Plus, the food and service - at least for breakfast - was flawless.

We would have liked to have eaten at "Taste" for dinner and refrained from trekking to town, but unfortunately this option wasn't available for us. Had we known ahead of time that the restaurant wasn't going to be available, we would have made alternative plans - especially during the rainy season, when nobody likes to venture outside much. So much for promising us a nice dinner!

Also, we were told we'd get an additional 10% off the rate when we first booked the room; however, upon our departure, a snotty Mexican girl at the front desk told us that we had "misunderstood" and that the 10% discount was only available if you pre-booked your NEXT stay with them. OK, fair enough - but she at least could have been courteous about it. She didn't even wish us a pleasant journey or a happy return!

Fortunately, she was the only blemish on the trip. The hotel itself is graciously appointed with two (small) pools, a gym, Taste restaurant (breakfast and lunch only in August), and lush tropical landscaping.

All rooms have an in-room safe, air conditioning, de-humidifier, ceiling fans and clean bathrooms. The mini-bar is nice but a tad expensive; go to one of the convenience stores nearby and pick up what you want rather than paying three times as much for it in the room.

All in all, it was a nice trip but we'll probably think again about staying there in the future. For those who want to "get away from it all," this is the hotel for you. For those who want to be a bit closer into town and not view the trek to the beach as a chore, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms 101 and 102 are great for the price, especially in the "low season" of July and Augu...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peter4hou
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Our guest is right that August and September are the slowest months in Vallarta, and for this reason we close the Casa and Taste in late August (this year until September 30) for heavy maintenance. Unfortunately occupancy both at the hotel and in town doesn't warrant keeping the restaurant open at night...we do try to notify every guest of this in advance but sometimes when people book by an online travel agency, we do not have any way to contact the guest before check in. We did list about the restaurant's dinner service on both the Casa Cupula and Taste websites.

We are sorry for any misunderstanding about the price or discounts - perhaps the summer heat was getting to us if any interaction was less than pleasant! So we will take this opportunity to say thank you for the rest of your very kind words, and we hope you had a pleasant journey home and can come back at a busier time.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was fortunate enough to have my 50th birthday party at the restaurant TASTE at Casa Cupula and then was surprised with a nights stay in a beautifully furnished suite here. It was an extremely romantic and unexpected night that I will never forget. Thanks to the staff here as they really know how to run a first class place.

Room Tip: Every room is different (but all very nice), some are just unbelievable. Ask for a tour as the webs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Casa Cupula is a great place to stay. It is just outside the center of town within walking distance to all the local places. The staff was great, very friendly and accommodating . The hotel is beautiful, we loved the room and the view. The restaurant was wonderful - good food and drinks. I recommend the Eggs Benedict...mmmmm. I would absolutely go back again. The only down side was that the AC did not work all the time - other than that it would have got 5 stars from us.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room 201 that overlooked the pool and was on top of the restaurant Taste. This was off...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and yes, the Eggs Benedict are yummy (and totally devoid of calories!).

We are with you on the pesky air conditioner in room 201, and sorry it was annoying! It has already been sent to an early retirement and upgraded as part of a complete renovation of that room this summer. Look on our website for photos after October as it is sure to be a favorite room for the 2014 season.