“Great Getaway with Friends ”
Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #11 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Great Getaway with Friends ”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Casa Cupula is a great LGBT boutique hotel. It was very warm and welcoming. I went with a group of 17. We each had different types of rooms from suites to queen rooms and everyone was pleased with their purchase. We had a great meal at their restaurant the first night and they recommended other places to eat, snorkel and zip-line the rest of the nights and days. Don the owner greeted us personally and the whole staff was great. Logan is the most helpful concierge. The trip was a big success!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roy J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 15 November 2013

On a recent evening out in PV we had the most fantastic meal at Casa Cupula. The new chef, formerly of La Palapa, has put together a fantastic fusion menu of Asian, Mexican and Continental dishes. I had pot stickers for an appetizer and short ribs for the entree...both prepared perfectly and absolutely delicious. I sampled my dining companions meals and they were equally delicious. A really nice option is to be able to choose half or full portions. They have a great wine list which complimented the meal perfectly. The wait staff is attentive and the service is impeccable. This is a charming and beautiful hotel that now has a fabulous dining room. Don't miss it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carlo439
Alameda, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I recently visited Casa Cupula and very much enjoyed my visit. The rooms are very nicely furnished and impeccably clean. The staff is absolutely fabulous and very helpful. I only ate at Taste once but the food was very good and the service, excellent.

The internet service is a bit spotty in different places in the hotel so if you are an internet junky and need constant updates the pool area usually has excellent reception. The website is correct in that it is only a 10 minute walk into town; and they are also correct that the walk back up the hill can be a bit more than expected, especially after a few drinks at the bars. It seems silly to pay for such a short cab ride but it is well worth it in the evening/night.

The only thing I was a bit shocked about was upon check in they put a $5000 peso hold on my credit card for incidentals and damages. Now, I will say that I am not one for reading the fine print so maybe they indicate that this is a practice on the website and I just missed it. Since I spent most of my time in town and not at the pool/restaurant I hardly used any of it.They do, of course, release any amount that is left over upon checkout.

Definitely take advantage of the transfer service to and from the airport. I didn't go for the VIP service but just the regular service was great and it's nice to have an air conditioned car to ride back to the airport in.

The only reason I'm not giving it a 5 rating is because of the location. If they could only take the hotel and plop it down on the beach this would be the perfect place!!! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the location, being surrounded by the jungles of the Sierra Madre is fabulous but the walk up the hill in the heat and humidity got old after the 4th or 5th time (just my own personal opinion).

All in all, it was a great experience. I would go again but during high season when the hotel has more occupants. The social aspect I was looking for was a bit lacking but it was the tail end of the low season and low occupancy is to be expected. I was by myself but I could see this being a great trip for a couple to celebrate a special occasion.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you make sure you ask what rooms they have available. Not all rooms have...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank johninalameda
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Going at the very beginning of the season had its advantages and disadvantages...the biggest advantage was that I had an incredibly relaxing time and there weren't a lot of people at the hotel, which gave it a very private feel. The disadvantage is that I travel solo, and some more people could have been nice...also, when Don announced the upcoming events this season that will happen (movie nights at the pool, entertainment, etc...) I would have loved to have seen this all...ah well, next time.

I can't say enough about the staff...everyone was amazing to me and incredibly helpful. The place is just gorgeous (glad I went for the vista king with the bigger balcony). The food was good and I have to say that Logan was more present than most of the concierges that I have seen before.

Incredible trip and I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Go for the Vista rooms...the extra space and higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
October is the month that PV wakes up for the high season. We start out hot and rainy, sleepy and quiet, and end up much cooler, busier and rambunctious. All the restaurants and tours reopen for the season (many are re-opening this week) and seasonal residents come back.

The advantage of the quieter times (maybe through mid-November) is lower prices, so you get all the advantages at a lower cost. And as you mentioned you get the place to yourselves!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to get the hotel in tip-top shape for you on time for this new season! And of course we will suggest: please come back soon! :)
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at Casa Cupula early in October, just as rainy season was ending and tourist season was beginning. It was a nice time for us to visit because restaurants and sites were open, but nothing was crowded yet. We were able to obtain a room upgrade and enjoyed our stay in Suite 421, which features a kitchen, private terrace with pool, and other grand features. Having never visited Puerto Vallarta, we relied heavily upon the staff for advice and help, and were always pleased with their suggestions. Keep in mind that Casa Cupula is in the old town/ gay beach area...a much more appealing location for us as compared to the closed-off, "all inclusive" resorts far to the north. No need for "all inclusive" when the hotel features an excellent restaurant of its own, and is surrounded by many other great restaurants in the neighborhood. A unique property worth visiting.

Room Tip: Each room seems to be unique. In the off season, the 1 bedroom suites might be obtained for a good...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JimNepo
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I just returned to SF from PV. I spent six wonderful days at Casa Cupula. The hotel is wonderful in a multiple number of ways, one couldn't ask for anything more. The staff was anything but inattentive. Everyone I met that worked there were not only good at what they did, but demonstrated an interest in my well being and offered lots of insights related to PV. I travel a great deal and this gay hotel is by far superior to any Gay hotel I have ever stayed in. To the folks at Casa Cupula I thank you for a great stay in PV. Please know that I appreciated all your kindness.

Regards / Richard

Room Tip: All the rooms at this hotel are great. No bad rooms at this Inn.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank RicardoSF
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My first stay at Casa Cupula in January was absolutely incredible.
The concierge at the time. Fernando, and staff had everything I requested and more ready before I arrived. They seemed to be able to read my mind, scary if you knew me, and anticipated my every want and need,

My second stay in July was a bit different.
Although I knew the Hot/Rainy season was going to change the atmosphere I did not anticipate the change in concierge could make such a difference. Logan, the new concierge, is a wonderful person but we just did not seem to click. Other than the wonderful birthday excursion he and the other staff gave me, there seemed to be no connection at all. Inattentive.

My room, once again, was relaxing and solitary. The view of the nightly lightning storm was absolutely amazing! My guide, and now friend, Joey from my first trip further enhanced the pleasure of my stay by showing me outside the "tourist zone". Showing me things most visitors do not get the opportunity to see.

Overall I had a pleasant stay at Casa Cupula.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gary K
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
It would seem as though reading our guest's minds should have merited six stars, if indeed one of our previous staff members was able to do this! But it also seems to us as though "inattentive" is a bit harsh. After all, the tour guide who was mentioned, the FREE wonderful birthday excursion and free birthday cake (all of which our concierge arranged), merited a 5/5 star rating at the guests' checkout. Without letting us know what was missed, at the time of the guest's visit or in the guest's satisfaction survey, we don't know what more we could have done since we are not, in fact, mind readers.