“The other reviews do have it just about right... excellent place”
Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sunol, CA
“The other reviews do have it just about right... excellent place”
Reviewed 25 November 2009

My husband and I (we're men) just stayed there for 9 days in a Vista King room. The location is very convenient to the beaches and also to the outdoor and water activities. The concierge Oscar was very, very helpful in making our vacation easy, classy and fun with activity and restaurant recommendations and detail handling. Bebidas and comida at the Casa were tasty and plentiful (good service). Loved the dimmers on every light switch, very comfortable, cool designs and human spaces in the rooms and common areas. They sure did pamper us. Met a lot of cool people staying there that we hung out with all week. We will be back again soon (most everyone staying there had stayed at the Casa before, many more than 5 times - and I know why!).

Worth the price. I don't know why anyone gay would stay in Marina or Nuevo Vallarta either.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seattleu78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
California
Reviewed 30 October 2009

As someone who has traveled throughout Mexico but never to Puerto Vallarta, I did my homework, read the reviews (althought some here were extremely ignorant and downright petty) I decided to try a stay at Casa Cupula. The room, hotel, food andn service meet every standard of luxury. The room itself was contemporary and very comfortable in design; not at all sterile or gaudy which is the case in many hotels. It came with amenities (wireless internet, high-end soaps, creams and even mosquito repellent for the beach) that you don't even get at some 5-star hotels anymore. The view overlooking the city and ocean was spectacular and made for some amazing sunsets on the veranda or by the pool. The staff was very helpful and friendly, even recognizing me and stopping to chat a few times in the city/ at the beach; both literally a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Which leads to a final point: this is still Mexico outside the hotel. Yes, there are bad roads, pot-holes and trafic. But for me the gay-friendly service, accomodation and nightlife can't be matched anywhere in Mexico. I plan to return to Puerto Vallarta and will definitely stay at Casa Cupula again. You just can't get luxury at that price anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Suavein650
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 20 October 2009

What a fabulous hotel! Very secluded yet just a walking distance to the beach, shopping and restaurants. Most rooms and suites have a picture-perfect view of the mountains and the Banderas Bay. Upon arriving, the Hotel Manager, Tina, gave us a personal tour of Casa Cupula and, best of all, a complimentary margaritas. Cheers!!!

The rooms are chic, clean, have different decors and mostly have terraces. We stayed at the Milagros suite, room 302, which has a wrap-a-round terrace with a jacuzzi! The roof -top pool is the best keep secret of Casa Cupula - perfect location for sun-bathing and most of all, to see the beautiful sunset! The staff are super-friendly, attentive and very knowledgeable about the area. Make sure to ask for Oscar, Guest Services, as far as making plans for dinner, tours and spa reservations.

After spending time shopping at the local flea markets, dining at different restaurants, beach hopping and ziplining in the jungle, we ended our vacation with a special dinner offered only by Casa Cupula - Romantic Dinner Under the Stars! We had our private dinner at our terrace which was prepared by our Private Chef, Luis. The "dinner experience" was timeless!

Overall, we highly recommend Casa Cupula to everyone! We had a wonderful vacation in Puerto Vallarta and a fabulous stay at this hotel! Casa Cupula is simply the BeST!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EricsonV
DALLAS
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The staff at Casa Cupula made this trip absolutely fantastic. They were polite, friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to take care of your needs. The room was comfortable and close to the pool. The location was close to anywhere you really wanted to go either by walking or an inexpensive cab ride. The views from Casa Cupula were amazing and the property was absolutely gorgous. However, I can't say enough about their staff. They made us want to return again and again and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
losangeles
Reviewed 27 June 2009

nice hotel snooty help if you could call it that.
rooms were nice but a steep hill to get back, way too much $ for PV

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank jimpie
New York1
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My partner and I stayed at Casa Cupula in late March, 2009 as part of a large birthday celebration (we were about 85% of the room capacity just for us). We were excited about visiting PVR and Casa Cupula in particular since we'd heard how luxurious the property was.

PVR was a mellow place with a unique vibe. The hotel is a good distance from the old part of town which is where the charm and 'action' is, but walkable at all times of day. Night time is a bit treacherous as you have to walk in a ditch along a high trafficked road - in the dark - but if you are sober enough you'll be fine. If not, take an inexpensive cab. You can definitely walk to/from the beach in the old town, but you wouldn't want to run back and forth every hour...it's too much of a hike.

I've waited 2 months to review this hotel, as I've hoped to mellow. Unfortunately, my memories remain pretty blah - the property itself was a bit of a letdown. We were in Casa Sevilla which is not even officially the hotel. Not without it's charms, the room was far from luxurious. We were discouraged from running the airconditioning all day long, but when it wasn't on the room had a bad mildew smell. Also worth noting is that luxury to me means no dusty surfaces, no scratchy towels, and no bars on windows. Maybe other people have different standards. I felt compelled to lock my room door AT ALL TIMES which also does not make me feel like I am in a luxury environment. Our room opened up to a community pool which also creeped me out - as did my next door neighbor who quickly befriended a homeless youth who stayed in his room the entire trip. Enough said..

Certain things are very very nice, such as the newest additions and suites. Certain things are run down, such as the pool chairs / cushions / etc. Again, not luxury.

Luxury to me also means peace and quiet - which is something you will find very little of from 8AM - 6PM every day but Sunday, as construction on the other side of the "canyon" is loud and non-stop. It's not the hotel's fault that condos are being built, but it is still annoying.

The most outstanding thing I remember was the service from the restaurant staff - from Elliot the chef (most accomodating!) to the server guys knowing our names, that part was a pleasure. They really know how to upsell food product, meaning before you know it the food and drink bills will really add up. Sometimes you don't feel like walking to town where delicious food at nice places (not street carts!) is half the cost. Buit prices aren't these guys' fault and they were really great.

The concierge wasn't as good as hyped - our boat tour started way late, and I had to BEG to be taken to the airport on time using hotel arranged shuttle service (paying a higher price than originally quoted, by the way). Another complaint is that we were promised free admission to some nightclubs that never materialized. $5 or $10 US later I really don't care but it's the principle that counts - please don't promise something if it isn't true. Apparently this wasn't an isolated incident.

Overall
I would say the experience could have been better. If I were to return to PVR and stay at the old part of town, I'd probably stay at this place - but only because the other hotels (like Blue Chair) seem undesirable. But I think I'd rather pay a little more money and stay at a true luxusy hotel in the new part of town. Basically, just because this is a gay themed hotel, I don't think we should compromise on what constitutes true luxury. I think too many reviewers below gave the place great reviews only because they were google eyed because they were on vacation, or don't get out much.

Either way - have fun, just manage your expectations. I wish I had!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KikiNYC1
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, 1 July 2009
We would like to summarize the key points of this review, so potential guests can manage their expectations:
1) keep your hotel room locked at all times (when would you NOT do this?)
2) Pools creep this guest out (we rarely receive complaints about too many pools)
3) As do other guests' choices in companions (guests make their own choices)
4) Do not run back and forth to the beach every hour (most don't)
5) Take inexpensive taxis when you are drunk (we agree)
5) Be careful to order too much delicious and convenient food and drink, because you have to pay for it (as is true in most hotels)
6) Bars on the windows are a bad idea for security. (They are pretty standard in first floor rooms all over Latin America, and in New York City too, and keep guests safe.)

Tongue now being pulled out of cheek, of course you need to manage your expectations even on vacation. Our 'run down" pool chairs and cushions have already been replaced. Towels are replaced constantly, we apologize if his were not up to standard, but new ones can always be requested.

Construction is an ongoing issue in all parts of fast-growing Puerto Vallarta which the economy has mostly managed to resolve. We offer a no-questions-asked construction noise guarantee for anyone with concerns. Also, construction has its benefits. They are building a new convenience store across the street to fill in the city's (not our) ditch in the road and add tons of lighting (too much in our opinion).

And we'll be happy to welcome you back!

Questions are always welcome about specifics at reservations@casacupula.com.
Irving Texas by way of California by way of the Caribbean
Reviewed 27 April 2009

The owners and staff of Casa Cupula truly went above and beyond today. A quick history. My partner and I discovered this amazing upscale out of the world resort last year. We actually rekindled and reconnected at Casa Cupula. From the attention to detail with the room, property and care we were impressed. I’m a very high maintenance individual and Casa Cupula exceeded my expectations.

Fast forward to today, Monday, April 27, 2009. The news which dominates that air waves unfortunately is about the swine flu which has hit Mexico and apparently spreading all over the globe. By time someone reads this days, weeks, months , years from now they will have had the facts to see if us (The U.S) over-reacted or not regarding this epidemic.

I literally had to fight Priceline then Frontier Airlines regarding my initial trip to Puerto Vallarta May 3rd – May 8th, 2009. The airline went ahead and waived my fees and gave me credit to use the ticket within the next year.

I notified Casa Cupula and they worked with me and did the fair and just thing. As I shared with them, I am a person of my word and I truly hope that they are around in a few months when I hope to return to their amazing property.
Class Act all the way!