“Relaxing - great views” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 57 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
Canada
“Relaxing - great views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Casa Sun & Moon and it is with the "&" sign - I have pictures of the hotel and it's name

Room 23 – Master Suite – “Sunset” – ocean front room.

This room has a king bed and a double bed. There is two night stands, television, a place for hanging clothes, and a bathroom within the suite. The bathroom consists of a shower, toilet and sink. Take note, when facing the taps in the shower, turn on the left tap and leave it running for quite some time in order to get the possibility of warm water. Do not look for water pressure around 6:00 AM.

The kitchen is located outside the suite. There is a fridge, gas “stove”, sink, dishes, counter, and table and chairs. There is a jacuzzi tub located outside the suite too however it does lack privacy if there are others using the deck on this floor but it was quite quiet. The dish soap is powder and does leave a residue however you are within walking distance to stores and you have the option to purchase whatever you need. A coffee pot and blender are provided. Be warned, one must wash dishes prior to use.

You will need to bring your own coffee and it was basket coffee maker so you will have to provide the filters too. No coffee, tea, sugar, creamer, etc. are provided so you must come totally prepared.

A huge bottle of water with a pump is provided for drinking water when you check into your room. They place it outside on the counter however we moved it inside the room to help keep the sun off it and keep it more at “room temperature”.

I found the bathroom floor in a dire need of scrubbing however it may just be “stained” and just looked dirty now after all these years as it does appear to be well worn. The bathroom is equipped with a small sampler of shampoo and two bars of hand soap. Staff do clean and do a good job everyday.

There is an air conditioning unit mounted at ceiling height along with a fan however both are quite noisy. We did keep both on low so that helped. There are no screens on the doors or windows therefore we did keep the windows and patio doors locked for “security” purposes when we were not in the room/area. There is no telephone or alarm clock in the room so bring your own.

Access to the beach is right there so that is very convenient. The hotel is quiet. A couple of restaurants are located across the street at their other property on the second floor. Make sure to have all kinds of denominations of pesos available as they did not have change when we were there. There are many other places to eat within walking distance.

There is Wi-Fi available on the bottom floor and there is a seating area however I was able to pick up Wi-Fi on the second floor with no problems in the outside seating area closer to the outside seating area.

There is a pool but with the beach and places to explore, we did not use the pool. Bring your own beach towels. We enjoyed the view from the deck overlooking the bay and surrounding areas. The staff is excellent and very helpful. We would definitely stay there again.

There are taxis always outside on the street. Make sure to always ask if they have change otherwise you may be out of luck getting change back.

There is a Scotia Bank available downtown along with other banks but being from Canada, this bank worked the best for us. You can withdraw up to $3000 pesos per day and are charged $24 (plus change) pesos for the transaction however that did great for us. We then went to the teller to break it down further as the machine was big pesos bills (500 and 200). If you wish to exchange US or Canadian currency, you must produce your passport.

I would recommend to have some knowledge of the language but the people were very patient with us so that was awesome and we got by however if we return, Spanish is on the list of to do things.

There is laundry business available about five minutes from the hotel. If you drop it off early in the morning, you may have it that afternoon or for sure the next day. They wash, dry, and fold the laundry.

The best advice I can provide is you are in their country, treat these wonderful people with respect.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GrannyAC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

In general the hotel's ok. Not great, not bad. We stayed for 4 nights, and would have nothing to complain about.

What made the stay was the hotel location, and the perfect views across the main beach and stunning sunsets. Even better was the master suite, with private terrace and plunge pool. Divine.

Zihua is really a great place to visit. Decently priced, more Mexican tourists than any other nationality, none of the crass mass tourism of Acapulco or Cancun.

You will enjoy it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulchadder
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

I stayed at the Casa Sun & Moon in December 2009. The rooms were nothing fancy but clean and my room did have a kitchenet with an apartment sized fridge for my beer. The bed did take some getting use to. Hard! My only real issue was that I was vacationing from a dry, northern climate and with the humidity in Zihua I wanted to take showers at odd times (i.e. four in the morning when sticking to the bed sheets). I often either had no hot water or no water at all. Also it's not something I wish upon anyone when you can't flush the toilet on the way out for the day and the cleaning staff has to deal with it. Yuk!! My thought was to just fly to Zihua and stay in a local hotel and probably save money. Wrong! Three years ago when I visited I stayed in Ixtapa at a resort hotel but I wanted to try the local admenities this time. I think that with the cost of this place plus my flights I could have gotten a package deal through a travel agency and stayed at a semi- all inclusive resort hotel in Ixtapa where I would've had free beers and some free meals (if I wanted them) at a lower cost. Also the water would've been included. Overall, my thought is, for the cost + flight, I'll be staying in Ixtapa the next time, if I go, and grab a taxi back and forth to Zihua.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Zihuatanejo hotels

Pacifica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

First of all, on Tripadvisor Casa Sun AND Moon is the same property as Casa Sun & Moon. One comes up under Hotels, and the other under Bed and Breakfast. For the record, the hotel's name is Casa Sun AND Moon.
We spent four pleasant days there just recently, and here's our review in a nutshell. We wanted a property with an ocean view, a pool overlooking the Zihuatanejo Bay, and kitchen facilities if we desired to cook (at least access to a refrigerator), and internet access. This place met all our needs.
I'd rate this as a 2 to 3 star hotel. Not fancy, not particularly clean, beds which take some getting used to, not much help from the staff, but with what we paid, we couldn't have found a better place. We were lucky to get one of their three Master Suites (ours was at pool level called Sol y Luna. An absolutely spectacular view of the Bay, a private patio, a jacuzzi (note: a jacuzzi in Mexico is not a hot tub; it's a cold tub with bubbles; never pay extra for it at any property...)
We got four nights at a discounted rate of $111 a night. The other units are cheaper, some as little as $75. They have a sister property right across the street (Caracol; even cheaper, with their own pool but you can use the pool at Casa Sun and Moon).
We looked into hotels at Playa Ropa (prettier beach), but the rates were higher, many more people on the beach, and you'd need to take a taxi every time to get into the town.
Our hotel was not the best, but the location was. There was also a walkway which led right down to the beach, Playa la Madera. Can't beat that.
Would we stay here again? Probably. If we could pony up a couple of more dollars, we'd look into staying right next door at the La Quinta Don Andres, a newer looking property with the same amazing views. We also looked at the other hotel next door on the other side, the Hotel Irma, which looked very clean, beautiful pools, great landscaping, but real small simple rooms with no kitchen/refrigerators. Warm beers? Not for us.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank janherwitz
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

I found this hotel through a deal on Expedia.ca and as I didn't know this place I had to rely on folks leaving their impression here and on Expedia.I gambled and made my booking and never regretted it.It is an excellent budget hotel that is quiet,well located(a short walk to the beach and as well from downtown and all amenities) and clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful.The person in charge,Agustina(GM) responded to my inquiries,pointed me to the right directio for all my needs and is a genuinely friendly and nice lady.The only issue I had during my 10 days stay was the first couple of days they had a problem with hot water but it got resolved.They have a nice pool and the hotel across the street is their sister location and you can use their facilities as well.I find the other hotel a tad nicer but the pricing is higher.I talked to folks at both locations and there was lots of repeat business so that is a good sign.Both locations were offering free internet(wi-fi) and are located close to several great restaurants and in a quiet part of town.I have no problem recommending these 2 hotels and looking forward going back there this year!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank cdvia69
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

In April, we stayed one week at the Caracol, which is partner of the Sun and Moon. It was basic, decent ac, inexpensive, limited tv channels (mostly in Spanish). Agree with Patti, re hotel and workers. The barking dog in the back is the owner and he refused to do anything. I would not return to this hotel until they get rid of that damn dog... it bark relentless day and night! Beware!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LonelyOne
North Battleford, Sask.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

I just returned from a week stay at the Caracol, which is essentially part of the Sun and MOon. It was clean, inexpensive, and the staff were amazing. They went above and beyond to make me feel welcome, especially since i ws travelling solo. They were helpful, resourceful, spoke a wonderful English, and strove to make your vacation the best possible. The only issue i had was the dogs that barked next door that woke me up. Damn perros!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo